IE
23C / 73F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 39m 11s
Overall Rank = 238/299
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 45/
Pre-race routine:

Wake up at 6am, at 8am breakfast (large granola bowl + peanut butter + banana), 8.30 arrived in Kinsale and straight into registration and transition. at 9 all sorted so had about 1.5hour for myself to check the route, water etc.
Event warmup:

nothing major, bit of stretching and running
Swim
  • 19m 5s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

This swim was brutal. Very limited space (close to rocks on the right hand side), around 175 people in the 1st wave (all men under 40) so it was a whirlpool. I positioned myself stupidly in the middle-back, started to fast (faster than other swimmer around me) and ended up straight in the middle of war. Somebody pulled my goggles so they lost the seal, had to stop to put them back but never got the right seal back so was swimming with very limited visibility. Obviously when I stopped to correct goggles people were swimming over me, pulling me under water, kicking, hitting. not nice. After the first buoy I got a bit of space so it was a bit easier. After 2nd buoy I was almost at the end of the wave so there was very little people around me so I finally got into my own speed. Unfortunately because limited visibility I was zigzaging so probably did about 850-900 meters altoghether.
What would you do differently?:

Would definitely position myself in the wave differently. Next time with same conditions (limited space and lots of people) I simply start at the end of my wave.
I would take more time to get the goggles right back into place and make sure I can see where I swim.
I would definitely put some lubricant (even fecking baby oil or vaseline) on my neck as the wetsuit rubbed against it (quite sore now - day after the race)
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

good transition - need to practice jumping on the bike and increasing my speed with feet on my shoes

I would put some lubricant on my ankles to remove my wetsuit faster (got stuck a bit in there)
Bike
  • 44m 4s
  • 20 kms
  • 27.23 km/hr
Comments:

I recovered after swim around 2nd km. Overall good cycle, passed good number of cyclist. First women (2nd wave) passed me at about 7km (which was great success :) and I was passing even more people downhill (max speed 65km/h), was going over 60km/h for good couple of minutes.
About 20-30 people (or more) from the 2nd wave passed me on the 18th km.

I would definitely drink more + cycle harder. When I started I had HR 180-185, after 2nd km it dropped to 170, after 10th km (downhill for 5km) my HR dropped to 155 and stayed about 160 for last 5km of the run. I suppose I was afraid to push to hard before the hilly run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

very good transition. the only thing I could do better is to jump off my bike when coming to dismount line

nothing - all good
Run
  • 31m 32s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 19s  min/km
Comments:

Run is my worst discipline. I was afraid of this hilly run. Started slowly, walking up the hill. It was going better than expected, at the 2.5km I had 17min on the clock so was aiming for 34mins. Second 2.5km was faster so I finished 31.38.

Push harder - Its my best 5k from all my BRICK trainings but I think I could push for sub 31.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. Swim
2. Was afraid of running up the hills

Event comments:

Altogether it was a good race. I'm quite happy because I improved my personal best by over 2minutes even though my swim was 250m longer (my first triathlon was 500m swim). I cycled 4minutes faster than my PB and I ran 7mins faster than on my first triathlon (even if the course was much tougher).
My next triathlon is in 2weeks time with flat routes so I will be hoping for sub 1hour 35minutes.

Last updated: 2014-07-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:05 | 750 meters | 02m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/299
Performance: Bad
Suit: wetsuits orca s5
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:50
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:44:04 | 20 kms | 27.23 km/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: first 10km: first 5km flat + 5km uphill second 10km - first 5km downhill + 5km flat
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:32 | 05 kms | 06m 19s  min/km
Performance: Good
Course: King of the Hill - I know now from where this triathlon has its name :) first 1.5km of the run was one big hill, probably the steepest one ever where I tried to run. Then downhill, after this 1km flat and again up the hill and last 1.5km downhill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-07-27 4:18 PM

User image

Subject: King of the Hill

2014-07-28 12:24 AM
in reply to: #5031098

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: RE: King of the Hill
WooHoo, great job on the PR!!!!!!! Sounds like you did really well and paced yourself right. So sorry about the swim; Lord, I know that feeling and I hate it. Sounds like you handled it very well tho.
2014-07-31 2:42 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Subject: RE: King of the Hill
Thanks Pam for a good word
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » King of the Hill Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tupelo King of the Hill Triathlon

Started by mac72
Views: 1171 Posts: 1

2006-08-06 1:33 PM mac72

The King of the Hill Off-Road Triathlon XTERRA

Started by jmf-tt
Views: 1096 Posts: 3

2006-05-25 9:17 PM jellyfish

The King of the Hill Off Road Duathlon

Started by wynoski
Views: 690 Posts: 1

2005-11-14 12:35 PM wynoski

King of the Hills Offroad Triathlon

Started by Christ
Views: 788 Posts: 1

2005-05-24 4:40 PM Christ

Xterra-King of the Hill Triathlon

Started by jmf-tt
Views: 1173 Posts: 7

2005-05-25 11:40 AM JTee
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 20, 2007
comments : 0
I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?

date : May 8, 2007
author : AMSSM
The soreness still develops during/after strides. I have no problem during or after hill repeats. Any recommendations concerning stretching or specific strength exercises that might help?
date : February 13, 2007
author : trixie
comments : 1
Can't run outside in the snow? Think again. I flew up the first hill with surprising ease and power. The Yaktrax gripped into the ice like racing spikes on a rubber track. Sweeeeet.

date : April 2, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on muscular endurance training, transitioning between distances, big hill training and bricks.
date : March 5, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
When we get ready to train or race, we have a pretty fixed set of thoughts. We are unaware of how they affect our racing.

date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 2
I’m terrified of biking hills and the triathlon I am registered for has several hills…on AND off road!! I’m willing to do whatever it takes to finish this triathlon. Any guidance?

date : July 5, 2005
author : dara
It makes no sense to train hard for a year to hone that aerobic system only to have all that training undermined by a few anaerobic bursts on race day. So, how do you go about it?