General Discussion Triathlon Talk » starting out Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-27 6:17 PM

Subject: starting out
I'm extremely unfit, and have been inspired by the common wealth games, where do you think is a good place to start?

2014-07-27 7:24 PM
in reply to: jprince

Subject: RE: starting out
Extremely unfit? I'd start by riding a bike, build some fitness. Once you've done that, you can think about running and swimming.

2014-07-27 7:38 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

To get more specific advice we will need more info, such as specifics about age, weight, current lifestyle, past fitness history, etc. Everyone starts from a different place and we need to know more about where you are now and where you want to go.

In general, start slow and work up. That might be walking around the block, it might be a mile outside or on a treadmill. It might mean a stationary bike, it might mean a bike outside. You may want to change your diet too.

2014-07-27 7:40 PM

User image

I'd start by walking DAILY. Than I'd Google "Jeff Galloway Run Walk Run method". That's how I started. I'd never run a day in my life! Now two years later I'm really enjoying my running as my fitness has steadily improved and I'm into my second year doing triathlons.

As you get fitter, you can than introduce swimming and biking into your life. You'll find that as you become more fit. your life changes in many small ways that you can't imagine now. You'll become exposed to really fit people who are fun to be, helpful and very supportive.

Today, set a short term REALISTIC goal. Than go out and work toward it.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!
2014-07-27 9:40 PM
in reply to: Macguyverguy

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Extremely unfit? - Start by going to a doctor and getting cleared for exercise.

Once cleared, start w/ walking, eating right, and doing a LOT of research.. 

Enjoy, the journey is just starting.

Best of luck!
-Dennis

2014-07-28 5:03 AM
in reply to: Dennis B

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Dennis B

Extremely unfit? - Start by going to a doctor and getting cleared for exercise.

Once cleared, start w/ walking, eating right, and doing a LOT of research.. 

Enjoy, the journey is just starting.

Best of luck!
-Dennis

x2

Mark

2014-07-28 5:21 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
The great thing about triathlons is that you can start off from quite an unfit level, and by having 3 sports to work on, you never get bored and you reduce the injury risk.

You need a pair of well fitting running shoes, a bike (any bike will do when you start out) that fits you and is in good functional order, swimming attire (swim suite or swim trunks).

By all means, start off with talking to your doctor, that's a very solid advise.

Then walk every other morning until you start feeling good, then add a short, slow, run in the middle of the walk, even if it's only for a minute, and then continuously progressively start to run further. For bike, just start off riding, you'll build the miles quite quickly on the bike, but start off with 3 times per week, just getting on the bike for a few miles, then progressively add distance to one of those rides. As a duathlete, have no good advise for the swim.
2014-07-28 9:40 AM
in reply to: 0

What Dennis B said.
Check with your doctor.......then GO FOR IT.

As someone who was extremely unfit 2.5 years ago (male, 43, 305 lbs., cholesterol through the roof, and mild-but-not-insignificant hypertension)....I now consider myself a respectable triathlete participant. (I always say this...I don't compete in them, I participate in them).

Seriously, though...get with the doctor. Especially if there's blood pressure involved. They have to dial in the medication and then you'll find they'll need to constantly adjust as your body changes. Blood pressure swings can be gnarly. You just don't want to go after something or in a way that can cause you problems whether it's blood pressure/injury/other issues. You need a doctor to help you keep that from happening.

I started on an exercise bike, in the basement...watching TV. It took me about 2-3 weeks before I was at the point where I was actually exercising. The first 2-3 weeks were technically exercise, but the duration and intensity was obviously pretty low. Nothing happens overnight. A month or two in, I started using sparkpeople.com to food track and calorie count....a few weeks later...joined a gym...and started losing like crazy.

With 90 lbs. gone, my friend convinced me to sign up for a tri. I'd never been a runner and although I'd added in elliptical, stationary bike and the Arc Trainer....I'd never really used the treadmill and had never been a 'runner'. By then, adding in the running was no problem. I was fairly fit by the time I did my first one. I could have done one far sooner.

As overwhelming as a tri can be....there's plenty that are designed for beginners, first timers, and those who just want to "finish". Sure, there'll always be some joe-pros there. But, I did one like that this weekend where I'd say about 20% (or more) of the people were using hybrids. Probably more hybrids in this one than I've seen in all the others I've done. And don't worry if you're on a hybrid. I used one all last year. There were some races where I was one of a handful of people on a hybrid. Nobody cares. Just try to be extra respectful in racking as the handlebars take up a bit more space and the bike itself is a bit more unwieldy. Be nice to your rackmates. Sometimes they'll have a spare pair of sunglasses when you forget yours (Thanks bib 308!).

At every race I've done, there's people at all stages of their fitness journey. From those who've reached the asymptotic point where they're looking to inch ever closer to 'perfection/faster'.....to those who at the very early stages of their journey. It's not hugely uncommon to see someone dismounted, pushing their bike up the big hill. Or see people taking breathers and spells of walking on the run.

It really is about finishing for 97% of us. While I'm a huge proponent of "get out there and do it" (safely with sound medical understanding)...I would say though...that you should aim for a fitness level where you'll have some confidence that you won't be miserable the whole time you're out there. If it's miserable, you won't want to do it again.

For a sprint, that level might be attainable pretty quickly.

Edited by jhaack39 2014-07-28 9:51 AM
2014-07-28 9:50 AM

Oh....also what audiojan said about running shoes.

I found out I was wearing the wrong length...and width! And that caused me not insignificant foot problems that were immediately solved by the knowledge of a running shoe store. And they didn't even try to sell me a shoe. They told me how to fix it first and referred me to another shoe (non running) store to get my foot issue sorted before committing to the running shoe.

Then when I finally spent what seems like a fortune for a pair of running shoes.....it was worth it. They're light as heck and they are far more well made than anything you'll buy just about anywhere else. I'm pretty impressed with how long they last for a casual athlete like me. They are not cheaply made.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » starting out Rss Feed