General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Goggles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-28 8:18 AM

Subject: Goggles
I have heard some people suggest that you wear a spare pare of goggles for a race with an open water swim. Does anyone on this forum do this and if so where do you wear / carry them?

2014-07-28 8:31 AM
in reply to: gus123

User image

New user
Kingston, Ontario
Subject: RE: Goggles
i bring a spare in my bag. Just in case i drop a pair or the elstic band breaks when putting them on however two pairs on during the swim i have never seen. Honestly if they go on smooth the odds of them failing are pretty slim. I would'nt over think it and just use the one pair. IMO
2014-07-28 8:45 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

On occasion I have seen some folks wear a spare set pulled down around their neck that could be pulled up into position if they lost or broke the first set.  I've never thought that was necessary.

I always take a spare set of goggles to races, but don't wear them, just keep them in my race bag just in case my first set breaks prior to the start.  I also have a replacement strap that I can change out in a few minutes.  I try to keep separate pairs of goggles for the pool and open water, since the chlorine  in the pool tends to eat the straps over time.

FWIW, I always put on my goggles first and then pull my swim cap on over them.  That makes it less likely that you'll lose them if they accidently get knocked off during the race.

Mark

2014-07-28 11:06 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

Having had the fun experience of having the nose piece snap on my goggles during the countdown to my wave start - I wish I had! I was able to "fix" them to start but then they busted at the first buoy. Since they were a fav pair I shoved them into my wetsuit at the neck and had to swim the race without. I think that this is extremely rare and it was because the nose piece was made of the strap material. So I just make sure I have a second pair just in case and make sure to put my goggles on at least once before getting to the start. And then I leave my spare goggles with my flip flops/sweatshirt and snag it after or give to a friend since transition is closed.
2014-07-28 11:13 AM

User image

Exton, PA
I take 2 pair to the race, one light tint(usually yellow or green) and one dark tint(smoke) and decide on race morning which to wear.

Make sure the elastic is in good shape before going to the race and there is no need to have 2 pair with you when you swim.
2014-07-28 11:54 AM

I don't think you need to wear a spare pair. One functional pair is good enough.

BRINGING two to the race is a good idea though. Many goggle mishaps occur - straps break, goggles get lost, etc. And if you bring one tinted for sun, and one near-clear, you're ready for all conditions.

2014-07-29 9:11 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

New user
Key West
I don't wear goggles, so I don't need a spare ;-)
2014-07-29 9:17 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Originally posted by RedCorvette

On occasion I have seen some folks wear a spare set pulled down around their neck that could be pulled up into position if they lost or broke the first set.  I've never thought that was necessary.

I always take a spare set of goggles to races, but don't wear them, just keep them in my race bag just in case my first set breaks prior to the start.  I also have a replacement strap that I can change out in a few minutes.  I try to keep separate pairs of goggles for the pool and open water, since the chlorine  in the pool tends to eat the straps over time.

FWIW, I always put on my goggles first and then pull my swim cap on over them.  That makes it less likely that you'll lose them if they accidently get knocked off during the race.

Mark

It's worth a lot.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Goggles Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

ever lose your goggles or have other major goggle problems in a race

Started by brucemorgan
Views: 3410 Posts: 20

2012-02-29 8:50 AM Hook'em

Big Goggles Little Goggles

Started by tri'n
Views: 1955 Posts: 14

2008-02-12 2:37 PM rstocks3

Simulating open water- let those goggles fog!

Started by NoisyD
Views: 999 Posts: 2

2004-10-07 10:27 PM tech_geezer

goggles

Started by cristin1124
Views: 727 Posts: 6

2004-09-05 11:58 PM Michael

Foggy Goggles

Started by runLB
Views: 649 Posts: 7

2004-08-09 9:41 PM joeinco
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 30, 2013
author : hoffsquared
comments : 7
After three triathlon seasons, I finally decided that I wanted to actually see well during the swim portion. My vision is not so great. I had to find better goggles.

date : November 19, 2007
author : CyndiPPF
comments : 0
So here I was, a hard-working, respectable, just-turned-forty-six-year-old, who never considered herself athletic, lining up in my swim cap and goggles for my first triathlon.
date : May 30, 2005
author : Ontherun
Taking care of your equipment is very important, especially on a limited budget. The following are a few reminders of how to get your equipment to last as long as possible.

date : May 16, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Enter the new TYR X-Sight goggles. The X-Sights have been designed with a flexible nose bridge that (surprise, surprise) is shaped like an “X”.
date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!

date : October 31, 2004
author : chrisandniki
Getting fall discounts on triathlon equipment is more difficult than finding the Great Pumpkin, right? Well, I’m here to say it isn’t so. Deals for triathletes are plentiful - you just have to look.
date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
Downloadable race-day checklist for your triathlon preparation. Everything you need to bring from your bike to drinks.