General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rocketman Triathlon - tires question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-28 9:43 AM

User image

Oviedo, Florida
Subject: Rocketman Triathlon - tires question
Question for those of you who did the Rocketman tri last year. I used to work at the space center ( along time ago!), and the roads were absolute crap. I'm signed up for the 1/2 and was thinking about doing the bike portion on Gatorskins. Am I totally insane? I was thinking that the time it costs me running on Gatorskins would be about the same as if I flat on regular tires. Not to mention just piece of mind. I'm a basket case as it is before races.

Not just that, but I know I'd be nervous chaning a flat during a race stressing about the time I'm losing and would probably just waste CO2 everywhere.

--
Dave

2014-07-30 4:33 PM
in reply to: davetib

Subject: RE: Rocketman Triathlon - tires question
The roads were pretty rough but with that being said, I don't recall seeing anyone changing a flat...they were just bumpy but I don't think there was a lot of debris or anything. I, on the other hand, had a fight with a pretty nasty set of railroad tracks and lost...I heard there were many falls in that same spot and two people carted off in an ambulance...I got lucky that my only damage was some lovely road rash and a bent rear derailleur. But I think they said they changed the bike course this year to avoid some of the rougher road. The race was pretty neat in spite of my mishap (I was able to finish thankfully)
2014-07-30 8:01 PM
in reply to: jill72

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

ditto. rough road, didn't see anyone with a flat, be careful on the RR tracks, I saw a bunch of people down as well. 

2014-07-31 8:48 AM

User image

Oviedo, Florida
Thanks for the update on this. Sounds like I'm safe rolling in something other than Gatorskins.

Jill... sorry to hear about your crash! I know they did change the bike course this year. I wonder if the RR tracks had anything to do with that. At any rate, I'm going to be careful.

Thanks!
Dave
2014-07-31 10:30 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I ride up that way at times and haven't had issues. Stick with Conti GP4000s 23's and you'll be fine, if you want better rolling resistance and comfort use latex tubes too.  If looking at best aero & rolling resistance use the Conti Attack/Force combo with latex.

2014-10-09 4:04 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

I think I must be super bush league or something because I run gators all the time. I'm not a super fast cyclist (hardly train on the thing, avg ~19-20 race day). How much slower are these things making me!

(FYI I worked at the Cape for several years. The roads are super bumpy (uncomfortably so in many areas) but not to much of a puncture risk.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rocketman Triathlon - tires question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rocketman Tri postponed until October

Started by vertseven
Views: 1054 Posts: 3

2013-11-01 8:23 AM Donto

Rocketman?

Started by Oysterboy
Views: 726 Posts: 2

2012-12-09 9:23 AM rkerperien

Wildman Triathlon Festival - Sprint Triathlon Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by drchaya
Views: 6057 Posts: 102

2008-03-18 1:30 PM rnrgrl262

Wildman Triathlon Festival - Sprint Triathlon

Started by swinfough32955
Views: 1555 Posts: 4

2006-03-13 2:43 PM swinfough32955

St. Anthony's Triathlon Triathlon (Olympic) Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Ron
Views: 8930 Posts: 54

2006-12-01 9:52 PM snikpos
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Michael Silva
Without paying a personal trainer or a PT on a regular basis, is there a regimen of exercises I can do to strengthen all around?
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.