2014-08-07 1:17 PM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Is Tiger Woods done?
Originally posted by jonD81

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy

Originally posted by jonD81

The thing about Tiger's dominance from 2013-2014 is that it means absolutely nothing (to him) because it included no majors. He may have been the best player in the world but for his legacy it doesn't matter. If he wins 5 tour events every year for the rest of his career but no majors we'll all say he was pretty much done after 08. I know he gets more coverage than any other player but it also seems like he has a lot more injuries than anyone else too. There was the knee in 08 when he won the Open, some neck thing in 2010, his knee again after the Masters with his ACL, now his back is lingering for quite some time. I'm not dismissing winning 5 times a year as not being good but in Tiger's world it's not and if these injuries don't go away 100% and he keeps rushing back I just don't see it happening. He's obviously not healthy right now but he's hoping to string together 4 good days and catch some kind of lightning in a bottle.

I'll agree that he set himself upon the Mt. Everest of golf career challenges.
That said, worst-case scenario, he stalls at 14 Majors...he will undoubtedly hold the record (by far) for overall tournament victories. Jack's already been left in the dust in that department, and Sam Snead would be seen in the rearview mirror as well.
  • ..and to know the level of competition Tiger has performed against is much greater than what Jack or Sam had to face, well, it just makes the accomplishments that much more special.
  • ..which, I might add, speaks volumes about what Rory has done up to now. Very impressive, and I hope he can handle the pressure of the spotlight.

• No doubt he finishes his career with far and away more wins than anyone else ever, so I guess it matters what the definition of "done" is. Right now at the PGA through 14 holes he's +3, T55... one ahead of John Daly.

Yeah, being in and out of watching this morning, he's looked bad.
    It definitely looks like the next Major opportunities for Tiger will be in 2015 as a 39-year old. If he can avoid injury, that'll give him 4 opportunities next year.
    Perhaps not being selected for the Ryder Cup team this year will add extra fuel to his already strong (sometimes too strong) competitive fire.

2014-08-08 11:25 PM
    in reply to: #5031497

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Highlands Ranch, Colorado
    Tiger needs to take the rest of 2014 off and recover. It is obvious that he is not recovered physically and he has nothing to prove by playing the rest of the year.
    2014-08-11 8:41 AM
    in reply to: rick4657

Master
    Memphis, TN
    Originally posted by rick4657

Tiger needs to take the rest of 2014 off and recover. It is obvious that he is not recovered physically and he has nothing to prove by playing the rest of the year.

Agreed. He doesn't miss many cuts and he missed one in a major. Obviously he isn't close to 100%. He needs to recover and take care of himself and come back focused and healthy. Golf fans understand.
    2014-08-11 9:15 AM
    in reply to: Jtiger

User image

Elite
    Originally posted by Jtiger

Originally posted by rick4657

Agreed. He doesn't miss many cuts and he missed one in a major. Obviously he isn't close to 100%. He needs to recover and take care of himself and come back focused and healthy. Golf fans understand.

To a certain extent I agree...but...he's a gamer.
    The competitive drive in guys like Tiger, Jordan, etc. is just something the majority of us can't comprehend.
    Normal folks don't win the US Open on one leg with a broken leg and torn ACL.
    Normal folks don't have flu-like symptoms and lead their team to an NBA Championship.
    Add to that, Tiger's mere presence at an event means millions of dollars for the PGA.

• ..how great is the 2015 Masters going to be?
  • Rory will be going for the one Major he hasn't won. The "Career Slam."
    Tiger will be healthy and playing at the Major venue he is most consistent at. Here's the last 10 years: (1 T3 T2 2 T6 T4 T4 T40 T4 DNP)

Tiger's finished top 6 in a Major every year from 1997 to 2013...with the exception of 2004 where he had a 9th.
    It's absolutely hilarious to hear people even say, "Tiger's done."
    It's downright silly.
    My only request of Tiger? Lose the goatee.

2014-08-18 12:38 PM
    in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Champion
    NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

I still think that his body is toast at this point.  <---Unabashed troll comment.

2014-08-18 4:28 PM
    in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Elite
    Originally posted by pga_mike

I still think that his body is toast at this point.  <---Unabashed troll comment.

Mike-
    Keep this thread going! I wanna hear "unabashed troll comments" all the way through the 2015 Masters in April.
    That tournament will be off the HOOK!
    Rory will be in the hunt for a 3rd straight Major...his first Masters win...the career Majors "Slam," and with a win he'd be just a 2015 US Open win away from the Tiger Slam!
  • ..then again, he's played in 6 Masters, missed one cut, and has only one top-10, a #8 finish in '14.

• Tiger on the other hand has NEVER had a 6-year span that bad. That includes the last 6 years in which he's finished #4 three times...including 2013 when he was Player of the Year for a record 11th time.

Best case scenario, both these guys are walking up the 18th fairway on Sunday tied for the lead...with Phil. Now THAT would be dreamy.

2014-08-18 6:10 PM
    in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy  all the way through the 2015 Masters in April. That tournament will be off the HOOK!  

The great thing about the Masters is that it's limited commercials...so we don't have to watch that Rory/Omega "Hall of Fame" commercial 47 times.  

2014-08-21 7:59 AM
    in reply to: Jason N

User image

Veteran
    New Hampshire
    Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy  all the way through the 2015 Masters in April. That tournament will be off the HOOK!  

The great thing about the Masters is that it's limited commercials...so we don't have to watch that Rory/Omega "Hall of Fame" commercial 47 times.  

As much as I'm fully aware that golf is a sport mostly played and watched by those with higher than average financial means, I effing hate the way they cater the commercials so strongly. It's just all so stuffy.
    2014-08-26 10:25 AM
    in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Champion
    Sarasota, FL

Bump.

Will be interesting to see what happens now that Tiger has fired his coach Sean Foley (big surprise...not).  Personally, I'd like to see him hook up with Butch Harmon again, but don't know if their egos will let that happen.  At least with Harmon he'd be going back to a situation that worked pretty well before.

Tiger's got to be thinking that he's running out of chances to get his game straightened out.

Mark

2014-08-26 11:54 AM
    in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Veteran
    New Hampshire
    Butch said Tiger would never ask him, and that he wouldn't want to do it anyway. Not that what they say now means anything, but that was his statement. I thought going to Foley in the first place was kind of odd. He seemed more like a college coach vs a pro sports coach. Not to say he doesn't know what he's doing, because obviously he does, but it just seems like he wants to have more of a relationship with the golfer and from that they would develop a dominate swing by working together. Tiger just wants someone to say "Bring your club at this exact angle and 9 times out of 10 you'll hit the fairway." I just feel like he didn't buy into what Foley was doing. I like the advice everyone is giving him of just going and playing for a while without a coach. Maybe go see Doctor Bob Rotella or some other psych guy, that's probably more of what he needs rather than a swing coach.
    2014-08-27 9:41 AM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
    NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Tiger needs to find a new doctor who can put his body together.  Maybe Vijay has a recommendation.

As for a swing coach, he should see another Butch Harmon type.  My mentor Manuel de la Torre would be perfect for him, but Tiger would never go to him. MDLT likes to ask questions like, "What are you trying to do? Are you swinging to the target? Where is your divot pointed?"  Simple thoughts to create a swing change.

MDLT - "You cannot change your swing until you change your mind."

Edited by pga_mike 2014-08-27 9:45 AM

New Thread
    Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Is Tiger Woods done? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Have you had an affair with Tiger Woods?

Started by pga_mike
    Views: 847 Posts: 12

2009-12-22 10:55 AM Big Appa

The funniest thing to come out of the Tiger Woods "Car Accident"

Started by pga_mike
    Views: 1072 Posts: 5

2009-12-14 9:15 AM Jyles16

Tiger Woods in doghouse Pages: 1 2 3

Started by ell-in-or
    Views: 3815 Posts: 71

2009-12-05 9:16 AM KeriKadi

Tiger Woods in Hospital Pages: 1 2 3

Started by bradleyd3
    Views: 3305 Posts: 72

2009-11-30 9:11 PM wildred

Landis = Athlete | Tiger Woods = Not | Discuss Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Spokes
    Views: 2592 Posts: 59

2006-07-27 9:12 AM vonrunner
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : April 28, 2011
    author : fivecents
    comments : 5
    What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : May 5, 2008
    author : TriPainter
    comments : 1
    I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
    date : August 17, 2007
    author : scoli121
    comments : 6
    I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"