Denver, CO
Subject: RE: change BT name

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by Left Brain Still, I'm waiting for an example of all this negativity you speak of. (no fair using your own posts)
Off the top of my head....

...in my career I never did understand what guys got out of smacking someone who was handcuffed......but I gotta admit, you're close to making me see the fun in it. LOL   

But it's ok, it has a smiley face next to it

That's rich. LOL   

You should go to work for CNN.  Context is everything, old son.  The fact is, you and fred like to dish it out but you can't stand any heat at all.  It's an old story.

YOU asked for an example, I provided one, there are many others. I'd provide them but you will simply discount them like you discount anything that does align to your opinion.

It was a metaphor within the confines of a discourse between Fred and I.....hardly negative.  I guess you could try again, but yeah, you and I aren't going to find much common ground.  I'm good with that.

negativity comes from when you tell people their beliefs, opinions, passions....are stupid, silly or meaningless especially with no fact behind it. Nothing wrong is saying "I think that's wrong because of X,Y,Z" but simply bashing with no fact provides no value. i'm done

Good.  I'm glad you have it out of your system. 

To be honest, the above example of people smacking back and forth at each other is pretty off-putting.  You're both talking about whether there's negativity in TT and here you are demonstrating it.  The two of you clearly have a history which beginners don't know (or likely care) about.  Seriously, if you have a fight to pick between yourselves, please take it elsewhere and leave the rest of us out of it.  It adds nothing to the overall conversation and just takes up space.  Thanks.

2014-07-30 12:55 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Pro

Originally posted by KathyG

I don't think any business model includes less activity and action on their site.. Less experienced triathletes sharing with beginners makes for less activity in forums of all types, folks just logging their workouts and not doing much else isn't an ideal business model. Folks staying visiting their friend's blogs, reading and participating in forum threads multiple times a day, seems a better business model than just logging once a day and attracting new triathletes.

Is it not harder to get new folks than keeping existing athletes? Seems strange to let so many leave due to changes to the site which I do think effects new traffic. When a forum thread has 4 posts in 24 hours, no real reason to come back very often.

I find ST much more informative and I learn things on that site. Here I try to help and give back, but with the new design I no longer get much from the site like I did when the friends and inspire part of the site was big plus here but since redesign is almost dead.

I miss the old BT.

In a quick check, I just counted 61 threads on ST's main board (tri) that have been posted on/started today.  By counting the same types of threads here, taking into account there are many more boards, but trying to keep the BT count to threads that would be on the main board on ST, I stopped counting at 75.  BT is much more spread out than ST.  I have no idea how it was 10 years ago, but my bet would be that the traffic itself hasn't dropped near as much as people think....but it's in many different places.

2014-07-30 1:00 PM
in reply to: husse23

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I just thought it was interesting that one of the "Related Posts" (also interesting that this is a feauture of the new site design) is this one:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=110470&posts=43&page=1

Same topic.  2008.  Read it and form your own opinions.

2014-07-30 1:07 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Pro

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

I just thought it was interesting that one of the "Related Posts" (also interesting that this is a feauture of the new site design) is this one:

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=110470&posts=43&page=1

My bet is that over 50% of the people who posted on that thread are out of triathlon altogether.  But yeah, that was interesting.

2014-07-30 1:12 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by JohnnyKay

Especially marmadaddy's quote 1/2 down the first page.

I'm going on 8 years on the site (I think).  I come an go in the forums.  I find that things have definitely changed, some for the better and some for the worse.  But on average, for the better.  The quality of TT topics, in my mind, have definitely improved.  Have the Mentor Groups taken much of the discussion, sure.  But that has just been the evolution.

Leave it.  It invites the newbies and helps all of us remember that we started somewhere and if we can help grow the sport, in the smallest way, but helping out newcomers, even better.

Now, where did I leave that bucket.  

2014-07-30 1:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
MA

How many posts have been on all the threads here and BT? Starting threads is different than the depth of responses to a specific thread.

Back 3-4 years ago we had same number of boards, and we had more action on all board especially on TT.

LB why do you keep posting and comparing to the past when you were not here back at the time we were talking about.

Edited by KathyG 2014-07-30 1:34 PM

2014-07-30 1:47 PM

User image

Pro

How many posts have been on all the threads here and BT? Starting threads is different than the depth of responses to a specific thread.

Back 3-4 years ago we had same number of boards, and we had more action on all board especially on TT.

LB why do you keep posting and comparing to the past when you were not here back at the time we were talking about.

Uh.......I was commenting on your comparison to ST.  

But...since you asked, do you somehow think this board or this medium is unique?  Every pursuit imaginable has a board like this one.  I've been on a few since I have other interests besides triathlon, and you could interchange this thread with any one of them at some point in the history of any site you choose.  There is nothing new here.

Go look at the thread from 2008 and try to figure out how many of those people are still involved with triathlon......that's your most likely answer.  This board, much more than ST, can fall prey to the comings and goings of people interested in triathlon......the members of ST aren't going anywhere for the most part....the membership would, by nature, be much more stable there where many of them make their living within the industry.

2014-07-30 2:30 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

The 2008 thread had a very similar tone to the beginning of this one, which was interesting.  The main difference between the two being this version has "The People vs LB".

2014-07-30 2:35 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by msteiner

The 2008 thread had a very similar tone to the beginning of this one, which was interesting.  The main difference between the two being this version has "The People vs LB".

I wasn't going to post again, it's just that I hate LB so much, ya know?

Seriously, though. Aside from the discussion in between, the name of the website is a business name. Do you know what a pain in the butt it would be to change it? A big pain.
2014-07-30 6:36 PM
in reply to: Danno77

User image

All internet forums evolve-- it's natural for those who started in the early days and became more experienced to move away from the general forum and into the specialized groups.

As someone who wasn't here in the "good ole days" (but have participated in several running forums), I can say that this is a useful place for a new triathlete- and I'm happy the experienced folks stick around to answer questions! Those that want more specialized advice, mentorship, and coaching for a fee also have a place to go here.

Ron hasn't piped in here, but I suspect he has no desire to change the name of this site or his business.
2014-07-30 9:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion

Originally posted by jennifer_runs  Ron hasn't piped in here, but I suspect he has no desire to change the name of this site or his business.

This question has come up every year since the beginning.  

Just the name 'beginner triathlete' draws people new to triathlon - it's a very powerful phrase.  That phrase tells people searching for triathlon information that this site will answer their questions.

2014-07-30 11:26 PM
in reply to: Ron

User image

Originally posted by Ron

Originally posted by jennifer_runs  Ron hasn't piped in here, but I suspect he has no desire to change the name of this site or his business.

This question has come up every year since the beginning.  

Just the name 'beginner triathlete' draws people new to triathlon - it's a very powerful phrase.  That phrase tells people searching for triathlon information that this site will answer their questions.

Well, there's a thread killer!

I still like, "Come for the Beginner info, stay for the cookies."

There's lots of cool stuff to stay here for. Thanks.
2014-07-31 11:13 AM

User image

Master

It's been a while since I've kicked around on the boards here, but as my IM training increases I like to come here and see what people are talking about. I have to say that this place is DEAD compared to how I remember it. Very little discussion. Very few new threads.

It's unfortunate.
2014-07-31 12:11 PM
in reply to: MUL98

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

Originally posted by MUL98 It's been a while since I've kicked around on the boards here, but as my IM training increases I like to come here and see what people are talking about. I have to say that this place is DEAD compared to how I remember it. Very little discussion. Very few new threads. It's unfortunate.

Just my two pennies...I think Facebook has had an effect on many forums not just here on BT. 

2014-07-31 12:40 PM
in reply to: csharp1171

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by csharp1171

Originally posted by MUL98 It's been a while since I've kicked around on the boards here, but as my IM training increases I like to come here and see what people are talking about. I have to say that this place is DEAD compared to how I remember it. Very little discussion. Very few new threads. It's unfortunate.

Just my two pennies...I think Facebook has had an effect on many forums not just here on BT. 

Agree. I think that is definitely a factor.  Pre-Facebook, there were a lot of folks who would hang out here primiarily for social reasons but weren't really serious triathletes.  Some of those folks were the ones who drove the interesting political/social/current events discussions on CoJ.  Over time many of them drifted over to the more socially-oriented FB.   I'm still 'Friends' with a lot of them, but on FB rather than here.

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » change BT name Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Change brake pads when changing out race wheels?

Started by Nhmountainman
Views: 1068 Posts: 4

2013-05-26 6:07 PM Bevie

foot strike change, should I change shoes?

Started by trigal38
Views: 1717 Posts: 18

2010-12-29 11:17 PM AdventureBear

BeginnerTriathlete.com: why not changing the name? Pages: 1 2

Started by Plissken74
Views: 2715 Posts: 43

2008-04-15 10:36 PM slake707

IMNA changes name (what next?)

Started by nccgrap
Views: 932 Posts: 6

2006-11-03 3:06 PM coredump

New to BT and a bit lost as to how to train with BT

Started by Sharona1973
Views: 1058 Posts: 8

2006-05-21 12:20 PM TH3_FRB
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Video of the six kick change swim drill.

date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : June 27, 2006
Motivational and inspirational interviews of BT members beginning July 2nd, 2006

date : January 29, 2006
author : Team BT
I started the Beginner Triathlete training program in earnest after Chinese New Year. I viewed the distances in the peak week with trepidation - how on earth would I manage it?
date : April 19, 2005
How to configure and use your triathlon training log or blog.

date : October 17, 2004
author : infosteward
I want your tastes to be satisfied. I want you to feel like you’re coming home each Monday when you view the new articles uploaded to the site.