General Discussion Triathlon Talk » change BT name Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-07-29 9:52 AM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: change BT name
Originally posted by Left Brain

You had to figure this would morph into a "back in the day" thread (almost all internet boards do this).....but actually, the only opinions that matter are from those who are beginners and come to the site.  Do they get what they came looking for?

Answering for me (2nd year of triathloning)
A. Yes. I certainly found a good deal of what I was looking for. I would say, though, I haven't found or didn't find "everything" I was looking for. As I said earlier, there's a lot of practical/logistical/non-performance related questions I had that after a handful of triathlons...even I now take for granted. Certainly not "all in one place". A good chunk of it was indeed found here though. Or found 'from' here.

Do they get the help they seek and the answers to their questions?  I bet the answer is a resounding yes.

A. There's obviously tons of sites with varying info. After sorting through a lot of those (or finding them from here) I built up a decent comprehensive picture of what I needed to know. However, this is the place I generally come circling back to. Mainly because there's more than just the initial answers of "yes, there will be portapotties available". As I noted, once you get beyond those, it's pretty easy to start taking that kind of thing for granted.

What do you do as a beginner when you start taking those for granted? You start looking for ways to HAVE MORE FUN. How do you have more fun? By 'performing better'. The effort is less taxing on the body/mind...which makes the race day more exciting?/fun?/rewarding?/thrilling? Most beginners don't have the experience to help with that. You need experienced people to point/nudge/answer/provide.

The forums/articles/free coaching articles and stuff....I've clicked and read through a bunch. I don't know if there'll ever be a day when I spend money on 'coaching' or workshops/etc. If it looks like it'll add to the "fun", I'd do it. Might happen. Might just keep going the way I am. And this place really is one of the better resources out there.

The rest is just noise....sometimes is enjoyable, sometimes it's grating.....kinda like AM radio.

Yah, but I still listen to a lot of AM radio. Then again, I'm a recovering AM radio broadcaster. Fortunately that went into remission a decade ago.
I enjoy forums and am comfortable with them.. Sometimes that noise is fun. Also, like AM radio (at night), there's plenty to cherrypick from. I have a pretty good BS radar. BS...probably the wrong word. It's not a case of opinions are like......well...you know. It's more of recognizing that there's no "one comprehensive right way" for everything. Sure, there's some things that bubble up as givens that everyone agrees on (riding shoes is a great example)....but then you get quite a bit of differing opinions. And they all don't stink. They're actually all right, but could just as easily be wrong for me...or him...or that gal over there. I see people defend their opinions....but I don't see anyone ostracized for disagreeing.

Overall, this site...including the forums...has helped me encourage myself to actually DO it...and now that I've DONE it...it's helping encourage me to do it BETTER and HAVE MORE FUN.

Edited by jhaack39 2014-07-29 9:55 AM

2014-07-29 9:56 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Regular
When I first decided to do a triathlon 3 years ago, I had no idea how to train, so I typed "triathlon for beginners" into Google and guess which website was listed first?

I think the name is good.
2014-07-29 10:21 AM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Originally posted by GODAWGS

Four years ago I was a beginner in Triathlons.

Three years ago I was a beginner in Olympic distance Triathlons.

Two years ago I was a beginner in HIM Triathlons.

This year I am training for my fist IM.

Still a beginner and learming each year. No problem with name of site.

+1.
2014-07-29 10:30 AM
in reply to: husse23

User image

Master
I've been coming to BT for more than 10 years. In the early to mid years I was VERY active here. Logging, asking questions on forums, arguing in "Cup O Joe" etc... The site filled my need to learn about the sport and share my tri experiences. Over time though BT has morphed in to a place where I log my workouts and races. I occasionally read the forums, but after seeing the 500th thread on whether to shave, and the 1000th thread on whether to buy a road or tri bike I lost some interest.

I would not change the name though. This site is a fantastic resource for people getting in to and learning about the sport, and it seems as if the collective BT mind can answer almost any tri related questions.

Besides, changing the name might run the risk of turning it in to ST. And who wants that?!
2014-07-29 10:36 AM
in reply to: rick4657

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I think the name fits the site and the goals of the owners perfectly. This site is meant to cater to beginners, hence the name, hence the rule against telling people to use the search. Yes it does create multiple threads about the same subject, but it always seems there is at least 1 or 2 people getting something out of the discussion. As a more advanced athlete you just have to monitor your time in TriTalk. Sometimes seeing the 15th thread about road vs. tri bike for the month can be annoying as all get out. Other times it seems like no big deal to weigh in on the subject. I tend to come and go in Tri Talk myself.

As to Kathy and Fred's points about the redesign and such. I used to use BT exclusively to track workouts, that has changed this year and now I use Strava, mainly due to the automatic uploading I can do to Strava with my Suunto Ambit vs. manually entering everything in here. Also the social and competitive aspect on Strava is fun and not something I get here.

My only gripe with BT is the mentor groups. I think it was a decent idea but the unintended consequences were vast and are destroying the site. CoJ and Tri Talk are mere shadows of their former selves. Anytime the subject comes up you have people say "oh yeah, I only check in with my mentor group, we had all sorts of great discussions this week". Bully for them but it does no good for people who are not in their group or in any group at all. You would think for a beginner site it would be best for everyone to be hanging out in the same place so newbs can rub elbows with all levels of experience. Instead you have a ghost town for a Tri Talk with most people with any experience at all hanging out in a closed off mentor group. So newbs either have to enjoy ghost town enough to find stick around and find a mentor group or they can go into the wolf den at ST.

I never visited ST in the past, but I have quite a bit this year, mostly due to more traffic, discussions and people in the room. I am not, nor will I be in a mentor group here. 

I know it would be an unpopular move, especially at first... there would be a lot of griping. But I think for the overall health and the best interest for the future of BT, the admins should phase out the mentor groups and put everyone back in the same room instead of the nice cliquey comfort zones everyone has now.

2014-07-29 10:45 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

I'm not a karate person, but this was related to me some years ago...

When a person receives their black belt in karate, the use that belt in all their training. Whatever other belts they receive from tournaments, they still use that original black belt. Over time, it fades. And fades... Eventually becoming white again -- the color of the beginner.

With every question that is answered, there are more and deeper questions that emerge. And with each of those questions, we are again a beginner.

May I always be a beginner.

2014-07-29 11:08 AM

User image

Atlanta, Georgia
I'm for leaving it as-is because the name goes with the attitude here. BT has been a safe haven for me to ask all of my newbie questions. I appreciate the people who are here that are more experienced & still stick around. There is no question that is too dumb here & most people will be quick to tell you an answer without the sarcastic BS.

ST is a fine site as well, but it has a very "tip of the spear" attitude & if you fall outside of that, you better have thick skin because there are posters who will rip you over a simple question or request. God forbid you ask something like how you're supposed to set up transition for your first sprint or if you will be fine on a MTB for your first race over there. The replies can get very snippy, very condescending, and very elitist very quick. It's the exact opposite of BT.
2014-07-29 11:42 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Aarondb4

My only gripe with BT is the mentor groups. I think it was a decent idea but the unintended consequences were vast and are destroying the site. CoJ and Tri Talk are mere shadows of their former selves. Anytime the subject comes up you have people say "oh yeah, I only check in with my mentor group, we had all sorts of great discussions this week". Bully for them but it does no good for people who are not in their group or in any group at all. You would think for a beginner site it would be best for everyone to be hanging out in the same place so newbs can rub elbows with all levels of experience. Instead you have a ghost town for a Tri Talk with most people with any experience at all hanging out in a closed off mentor group. So newbs either have to enjoy ghost town enough to find stick around and find a mentor group or they can go into the wolf den at ST.

I think for the overall health and the best interest for the future of BT, the admins should phase out the mentor groups and put everyone back in the same room instead of the nice cliquey comfort zones everyone has now.

I'm a relative newbie and I have to say that I really appreciate the mentor group I'm in.  Our members range from people with tons of experience to people like me just starting out.  I sometimes feel more comfortable posting my questions there than I do in Tri Talk because (a) I don't get a jillion responses, and (b) people there know a little more about me so the answers are more relevant to where I'm at.  Even if you're not in a mentor group, anybody can read through the threads and benefit from the wisdom there.  Yeah, it might take a little more searching, but it's still possible.  Also, being in the mentor group gives me more confidence to post in Tri Talk.  Then again, I tend to be a Chatty Cathy, so maybe it's just me.  I personally find ST interesting but really intimidating.  Maybe someday I'll head over there but for now I'm staying here.

2014-07-29 1:08 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

Hmmmmm. I just checked out the mentor groups a little closer.
I suppose I have a pretty short attention span. When I find a forum, like most people I assume, find the most general sub-forum with the most posts and dive right in. Quite often, it's the one labeled NSFW, but that's a different matter altogether.

I never really dug into the mentor groups. Just poked around through them. My understanding of them was completely different. I thought t was more explicit "coaching" and more granular detail than the general nature of something called "Triathlon Talk". Interesting. There's definitely a fair amount of activity in there. No reason they couldn't just be pinned threads in this sub-forum that get retired periodically. You'd get a lot more cross contamination, so to speak. Especially when topics like this....or the baby stroller things come up. Stuff that everybody can have an opinion on, no matter their experience....and not really be wrong. Or right, for that matter.

As Tolstoy famously put it...."Happy families are all alike." We don't watch Teen Mom 2 or Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making the Squad because everything turns out alright for everyone. We tune in to Gold Rush on Discovery to watch the schmoe fail. He's made a ton of money being a spectacular failure. If he succeeded, nobody would watch.

As long as there's threads here about stuff like that and not exclusively related to which is better in the alphabet soup of shifters and derailleurs (I have no interest in this at the moment, but when I do...I'm pretty sure I can find it all here), you'll get people like me wandering and waxing nonsensically. It's one of the ways we feel good about ourselves.

Someone start the bucket slamming thread. I'll be there in a heartbeat to defend my bucket. I'll troll the mentor groups for like-minded folks and we can settle this thing once and for all. You'll all be carrying buckets soon and you'll look back sheepishly on the day you decried my $4, waterproof, carrying device that holds everything I need, is easy to carry AND doubles as a moderately comfy seat.

Don't make me start my mentor group. The Bucket Brigade!!!! Or maybe The Swashbucketlers. This place would be a ghost town.

Note: I did learn something about the buckets. The nipple (there's two on the Home Depot flavor) on the top of the lid where the injection molding machine nozzles inject the plastic resin....you gotta cut those off or sand them down. It snagged the thread in the seam that holds the diaper in place on my tri shorts. I caught it unraveling after this weekend and remembered vaguely feeling something catch during my pre-race sitdown.
2014-07-29 1:11 PM

Arden, North Carolina
Isn't there another site out there, that caters to people that are more experienced and aren't interested in the beginner experience?
2014-07-29 1:18 PM
in reply to: #5031563

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Can't tell if you are joking or just didn't read the thread, so in order to save time in case it's the latter...
Slowtwitch

2014-07-29 1:35 PM

Originally posted by Danno77

Can't tell if you are joking or just didn't read the thread, so in order to save time in case it's the latter...
Slowtwitch

I went to check that out.
There were two threads I felt I could confidently click on and gain some formulation of information. One was looking for opinions on beet juice. Uhm. I already have an opinion on that idea. Nobody will change that. Now, a beet salad with goat cheese and roasted pine nuts adorned with an edible cucumber blossom would be a different story. No clickey. The other one was fairly general but appeared to be heading into a bit of scorning posters who included an "a" after the "h" in triathlon. Nothing worse than spelling smack. I can't even type complete sentences, let alone spell.

This place is very much needed if you want to attract people to the sport, or welcome those who are interested or simply considering it. There's a HUGE amount of anxiety before your first race. You might not remember it. It's still fresh for me. I still have a little anticipatory anxiety. And I'm certainly full of anxiety about my first Olympic length, even though it's only marginally longer than some others I've done. I just saw a thread today, I'm sure there's been plenty of them here. Former marathoners (or other) who are interested. Very fit people who are confident on the bike and have already applied some of the same effort to swimming as they did early in their running and will likely outperform 75% (or more) of their fellow racers....are still somewhat unsure about completing even a sprint.

There's very few threads I would click on in any other forum I've found. Even after having done a few and am feeling marginal inklings of experience. I'm into tri's for the fun. I'm into forums for the fun. I'm into tri-forums for the fun. I don't have the desire to dig beyond even what style tri top might be best, let alone trying to eek out an extra .2 of a mph on the bike. If I get there, I can find it here. If not, there's a lot in between going on here.

And babbling. Luuurve to babble.

Edited by jhaack39 2014-07-29 1:41 PM
2014-07-29 1:39 PM

User image

You have a very valid point.  But at the same time I also don't think that the declining traffic in TT is such a bad thing either.  When TT was much more active, the BS rate was a lot higher.  Legitimate threads with honest SBR questions would get pushed to the second page within hours because everyone kept posting in the pee in the pool or doping threads.  You look at TT now and there are a lot less posts, but at least the relevant SBR questions have a better chance of staying on the first page and getting a few real responses.  Honestly, most questions don't need 15 responses to them anyway and from what I can tell recently, pretty much every question that gets asked gets a decent answer.

Lastly, I actually think the mentor groups saved a lot of good members from leaving completely because of how ridiculous TT was getting.  It seemed like everyone was just trying to pick a fight.  I still remember Shane being called an arrogant know it all...LMAO.  While Shane is more level headed than most people, I can see why others decided to leave TT and just focus on mentor groups as their way of still contributing to the site.

Edited by Jason N 2014-07-29 1:40 PM
2014-07-29 1:47 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Originally posted by Jason N
You look at TT now and there are a lot less posts, but at least the relevant SBR questions have a better chance of staying on the first page and getting a few real responses.  Honestly, most questions don't need 15 responses to them anyway and from what I can tell recently, pretty much every question that gets asked gets a decent answer.

Solid point. I can't speak to the past, but you're right. It's very easy to find the relevant threads on the front page as a beginner.

Yah, as much as I like banter, the pee in the pool or defending my beloved bucket would get old and increase the signal-to-noise.
As much as I love a little noise, the signal has to be relevant and easy to get to or I'll just go find a noisy site of no particular interest/pursuit where people act like monkeys throwing digital poop at each other.
2014-07-29 2:28 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

You have a very valid point.  But at the same time I also don't think that the declining traffic in TT is such a bad thing either.  When TT was much more active, the BS rate was a lot higher.  Legitimate threads with honest SBR questions would get pushed to the second page within hours because everyone kept posting in the pee in the pool or doping threads.  You look at TT now and there are a lot less posts, but at least the relevant SBR questions have a better chance of staying on the first page and getting a few real responses.  Honestly, most questions don't need 15 responses to them anyway and from what I can tell recently, pretty much every question that gets asked gets a decent answer.

Lastly, I actually think the mentor groups saved a lot of good members from leaving completely because of how ridiculous TT was getting.  It seemed like everyone was just trying to pick a fight.  I still remember Shane being called an arrogant know it all...LMAO.  While Shane is more level headed than most people, I can see why others decided to leave TT and just focus on mentor groups as their way of still contributing to the site.

I suppose if you look at the site mainly as an information source then perhaps TT is better now. I used it as an information source at first but it quickly became more of a community thing. Once I got the basics of triathlon down I spent a lot of time in CoJ or in TT in the more in depth threads. I guess I just preferred things when it was one big community, not a bunch of splinter cell mentor groups.

Feels like hanging out in the hallway at school when everyone is in separate classes. It can still be fun, but there are only so many times I can read Left Brain say he "doesn't care" "whats the big deal" "I do it this way and everyone else is wrong" "my kid is faster than your kid" etc. Need more people in the hallway to help beat him back a bit!

:P LB

2014-07-29 2:31 PM

User image

Pro

I suppose if you look at the site mainly as an information source then perhaps TT is better now. I used it as an information source at first but it quickly became more of a community thing. Once I got the basics of triathlon down I spent a lot of time in CoJ or in TT in the more in depth threads. I guess I just preferred things when it was one big community, not a bunch of splinter cell mentor groups.

Feels like hanging out in the hallway at school when everyone is in separate classes. It can still be fun, but there are only so many times I can read Left Brain say he "doesn't care" "whats the big deal" "I do it this way and everyone else is wrong" "my kid is faster than your kid" etc. Need more people in the hallway to help beat him back a bit!

:P LB

Mentor groups...........hahahahaha!!!  NO!

2014-07-29 2:39 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

the only opinions that matter are from those who are beginners and come to the site. 

That's right! To hell with the opinions of long time paying members. That's why i'm no longer one of them.

2014-07-29 2:52 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mrbbrad

the only opinions that matter are from those who are beginners and come to the site. 

That's right! To hell with the opinions of long time paying members. That's why i'm no longer one of them.

So....you paid to have an opinion?  You know, those are free.

2014-07-29 3:02 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

His was a gold plated opinion. 

Yours is more of the armpit/ar$ehole variety...

2014-07-29 3:05 PM

User image

Pro

His was a gold plated opinion. 

Yours is more of the armpit/ar$ehole variety...

bwaaaaaaaaaahahaha!!  Yeah, there is THAT. 

User image

I think that site is called slowtwitch

in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Extreme Veteran

This thread seems to come up every 3 months or so.

Personally I found TT to be a waste of time at one point so I did a mentor group and it was a lot of fun and very productive. Many members went on to PB podium, even qualify for Worlds 70.3. It was really cool and people stay in touch and share advice.

And this very discussion occurred about 3 months ago. It was mentioned how mentor groups weren't fair to the bulk of people that weren't in them. I kind of agreed and since the mentor group came a little more here in TT

Now I'm done with TT. I believe it's a waste of my time. If someone I appreciate has a question, I'll respond but I think my participation will go down significantly. I look at the noise, the bad advice and all the help a person can give is just lost in the BS.

I may do another mentor group because I do believe BT is a great place for beginner's to grow. Running a mentor group is as much a learning experience and sharing one's experience.

It's unfortunate the TT thread has become what it has become and driven people to the mentor groups. But it is what it is and it's not about to change.

Just an opinion.
2014-07-29 3:55 PM
in reply to: marcag

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-07-29 4:01 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-07-29 4:36 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by Fred D

I know it would be an unpopular move, especially at first... there would be a lot of griping. But I think for the overall health and the best interest for the future of BT, the admins should phase out the mentor groups and put everyone back in the same room instead of the nice cliquey comfort zones everyone has now.

I think I can understand where you are coming from, i.e.; you feel excluded by the mentor groups. That's too bad, because mine never closes and is always open, you are welcome to join.

*I* should point out that I think the fallacy in your idea here is that 'everyone' will not be back in the same room if they cut the mentor groups. Most of us would likely leave the site who are primarily mentor group folks. Mentors do NOT work for BT and are not PAID by BT, they do it because they want to give back to the community and I suspect if they are like me, they want reduced noise. I would still log here, but I won't put the energies that I have put into the groups over the past 4 years directly into TT. Quite the contrary, I find myself more on ST and Facebook (my friends list is almost all triathletes), and would just push more to that.

I think what you are suggesting would actually work, if in fact we were BT employees (not suggesting this, as it is ludicrous), but we are not

I don't feel excluded, I don't have a sense that I am missing out. Just sharing an opinion that I think the BT community would be better off if we all swam in the same pool.

Just an example from today. I have never looked at the mentor group threads so I did today. I checked out Yanti's group cuz her name is familiar. Absolutely nothing against her group, but the last 2-3 pages were about GPS watches and which brand/model people prefer. There was some good discussion and some good input from various people on various watches. That could have benefited the whole community if it were posted in TT, there could have been even more info shared by others, and it would be beneficial for future athletes in that a thread titled "Which GPS Watch Should I Buy" is much easier to find in search than a 3 page convo within a 99 page mentor thread. 

Anyway, not my call, just an opinion. I am signing up on ST and will jump into some convos there, will still hang out here as well for the 3-4 threads per week that anyone actually participates in. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » change BT name Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Change brake pads when changing out race wheels?

Started by Nhmountainman
Views: 1073 Posts: 4

2013-05-26 6:07 PM Bevie

foot strike change, should I change shoes?

Started by trigal38
Views: 1718 Posts: 18

2010-12-29 11:17 PM AdventureBear

BeginnerTriathlete.com: why not changing the name? Pages: 1 2

Started by Plissken74
Views: 2722 Posts: 43

2008-04-15 10:36 PM slake707

IMNA changes name (what next?)

Started by nccgrap
Views: 932 Posts: 6

2006-11-03 3:06 PM coredump

New to BT and a bit lost as to how to train with BT

Started by Sharona1973
Views: 1060 Posts: 8

2006-05-21 12:20 PM TH3_FRB
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Video of the six kick change swim drill.

date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : June 27, 2006
Motivational and inspirational interviews of BT members beginning July 2nd, 2006

date : January 29, 2006
author : Team BT
I started the Beginner Triathlete training program in earnest after Chinese New Year. I viewed the distances in the peak week with trepidation - how on earth would I manage it?
date : April 19, 2005
How to configure and use your triathlon training log or blog.

date : October 17, 2004
author : infosteward
I want your tastes to be satisfied. I want you to feel like you’re coming home each Monday when you view the new articles uploaded to the site.