Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2014-07-29 5:19 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: change BT name
Originally posted by Aarondb4
Just an example from today. I have never looked at the mentor group threads so I did today. I checked out Yanti's group cuz her name is familiar. Absolutely nothing against her group, but the last 2-3 pages were about GPS watches and which brand/model people prefer. There was some good discussion and some good input from various people on various watches. That could have benefited the whole community if it were posted in TT, there could have been even more info shared by others, and it would be beneficial for future athletes in that a thread titled "Which GPS Watch Should I Buy" is much easier to find in search than a 3 page convo within a 99 page mentor thread. 

This is very true.
However, look at the tone and conversation that go around questions like this in mentor groups and compare them to the same question in TT
In a Mentor group, the members know each other, are courteous and don't mock each other. The same question asked in TT would take about 10 posts before you'd get a "stop spending money, it's stupid" post.
A member recently posted a "how much time does an aero wheel save". Legit question. It took about 10 posts before he got a "just train harder".
Just look at this thread. How long before smart-a$$ comments started appearing.
Doesn't happen in mentor groups.

2014-07-29 5:40 PM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by KathyG

I've been on BT almost 10 years.

I don't think the name helps as our sport matures, but I think what has hurt BT the most was the update about 1.5 years ago where the method to connect with BT friends became much more cumbersome. Now most of my long term BT friends no longer log their workouts or participate much in this website. The vibe is vastly different than 2 or 4 years ago. ST keeps going strong so why has the feel and activity level  BT changed so much with less posts and less action in blogs?

I hate to say it but I totally agree. I still enjoy coming here and hope that I add something to the site. I feel like with how chopped up each forum is in to its own little niche that a lot of interesting things are not shared with the whole site. I still come on. I still contribute. I still like the site. I just don't like it as much as I used to.

There can be days where almost nothing interesting is posted on Triathlon Talk. When that happens people start to lose interest. The iron distance forums don't have enough action to justify being separated from the genral TT forum. COJ is not nearly as interesting as it used to be. Friendlier without Political Joe included? Maybe. But way less fun with way less going on.

I know. I know. If I don't like it, I'm welcome to go elsewhere. Well. I do still like it. Just not as much. I don't think I am alone. I actually worry that the site is losing momentum in a very negative way.

Enough of my whining. I don't think that the name should change but I obviously think that the site should get a mid-cycle face lift......
2014-07-29 7:50 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-07-29 7:54 PM
in reply to: husse23

How about:

Beginner Triathlete and Beyond
Triathletes in Training
Triathlete to Triathlete
McBLT - Middle, Competent, Beginners Learning Triathletes
2014-07-29 7:56 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

2014-07-29 7:58 PM

Pro
NJ

Originally posted by Fred D

I know it would be an unpopular move, especially at first... there would be a lot of griping. But I think for the overall health and the best interest for the future of BT, the admins should phase out the mentor groups and put everyone back in the same room instead of the nice cliquey comfort zones everyone has now.

I think I can understand where you are coming from, i.e.; you feel excluded by the mentor groups. That's too bad, because mine never closes and is always open, you are welcome to join.

I don't feel excluded, I don't have a sense that I am missing out. Just sharing an opinion that I think the BT community would be better off if we all swam in the same pool.

I've been on BT for about 6 years. Like most sites, I have found both it and the way I use the site has changed over time...with one exception. I always gravitate to the Mentor Groups. Not everyone may agree that they are a positive addition. That's ok, I don't necessarily enjoy some of the other threads that people find interesting. Doesn't matter. And I've probably missed an opportunity to learn something in those threads I don't open. I can live with that. But for those who think the Mentor Groups are exclusive and therefore diminish the site, I'd argue you are missing out. Try posting in one. Join one. FWIW, I've never been turned away from a group I asked to join (including Fred's, Marc's and at least 4-5 others.) They all have their own vibe but every one I've joined has been a terrific place to learn. 

2014-07-29 7:59 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

I did my first tri just about 2 years ago to the date. When I first came to this site, I was a beginner who couldn't really swim more than 100 yards. I've learned a ton from this site, and while I no longer consider myself a beginner, I still learn a ton.

The entire site is a resource, not just this particular forum. Initially I got a lot of great swim advice from some of the experts who still frequent the site, either by lurking, or asking direct questions. I could post a question, and get a response from an actual coach or instructor, and I can still do that, right in TT. That is awesome.

In addition, the mentor groups are very valuable. Earlier this year, I joined the power mentor group, and again, got great advice and saw great gains. And sure they may come off as "clique-y," but that's only because people become friendly when they interact more, but I haven't seen any situations where people haven't been anything but helpful.

And yes, people are not always in agreement, but this is still the internet. So that comes with the territory.

And to echo the sentiments of many who have already posted, if only beginners frequented the site, then there wouldn't be anyone to share experience and give advice. I've gotten great advice from some of the experienced members who still share their opinions, and I hope they stick around.

I am not done learning.
2014-07-29 8:31 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Pro

I know it would be an unpopular move, especially at first... there would be a lot of griping. But I think for the overall health and the best interest for the future of BT, the admins should phase out the mentor groups and put everyone back in the same room instead of the nice cliquey comfort zones everyone has now.

I think I can understand where you are coming from, i.e.; you feel excluded by the mentor groups. That's too bad, because mine never closes and is always open, you are welcome to join.

*I* should point out that I think the fallacy in your idea here is that 'everyone' will not be back in the same room if they cut the mentor groups. Most of us would likely leave the site who are primarily mentor group folks. Mentors do NOT work for BT and are not PAID by BT, they do it because they want to give back to the community and I suspect if they are like me, they want reduced noise. I would still log here, but I won't put the energies that I have put into the groups over the past 4 years directly into TT. Quite the contrary, I find myself more on ST and Facebook (my friends list is almost all triathletes), and would just push more to that.

I think what you are suggesting would actually work, if in fact we were BT employees (not suggesting this, as it is ludicrous), but we are not

I don't feel excluded, I don't have a sense that I am missing out. Just sharing an opinion that I think the BT community would be better off if we all swam in the same pool.

Just an example from today. I have never looked at the mentor group threads so I did today. I checked out Yanti's group cuz her name is familiar. Absolutely nothing against her group, but the last 2-3 pages were about GPS watches and which brand/model people prefer. There was some good discussion and some good input from various people on various watches. That could have benefited the whole community if it were posted in TT, there could have been even more info shared by others, and it would be beneficial for future athletes in that a thread titled "Which GPS Watch Should I Buy" is much easier to find in search than a 3 page convo within a 99 page mentor thread. 

Anyway, not my call, just an opinion. I am signing up on ST and will jump into some convos there, will still hang out here as well for the 3-4 threads per week that anyone actually participates in. 

. Ok, so you don't feel excluded but you want the mentor group people to lose their groups and all to post in the TT forum? It won't happen. As mentioned many times here, too much noise, too much negativity and a general lack of civility when members don't know each other at least by a first name basis. I still don't understand it is what you have against the mentor groups??

Where is all the negativity you speak of?  Seriously......point me to it, I'd like to see what you are talking about.  I don't know of another board with as much encouragement as I see on this one. 

2014-07-29 10:14 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

I am new to triathlon this year. Found the site by searching "beginner triathlete" - this site and a few others came up.

After reviewing / looking at a few sites...  I keep coming back here.  A lot of good info, like all message boards, need to separate the wheat from the chafe.

It's all good... 

except I never got any cookies....  did learn about the home depot bucket / port-a-potty / seat though, so I got that going for me,

-Dennis

2014-07-29 10:20 PM

Originally posted by Left Brain

*I* should point out that I think the fallacy in your idea here is that 'everyone' will not be back in the same room if they cut the mentor groups. Most of us would likely leave the site who are primarily mentor group folks. Mentors do NOT work for BT and are not PAID by BT, they do it because they want to give back to the community and I suspect if they are like me, they want reduced noise. I would still log here, but I won't put the energies that I have put into the groups over the past 4 years directly into TT. Quite the contrary, I find myself more on ST and Facebook (my friends list is almost all triathletes), and would just push more to that.

I think what you are suggesting would actually work, if in fact we were BT employees (not suggesting this, as it is ludicrous), but we are not

Anyway, not my call, just an opinion. I am signing up on ST and will jump into some convos there, will still hang out here as well for the 3-4 threads per week that anyone actually participates in. 

. Ok, so you don't feel excluded but you want the mentor group people to lose their groups and all to post in the TT forum? It won't happen. As mentioned many times here, too much noise, too much negativity and a general lack of civility when members don't know each other at least by a first name basis. I still don't understand it is what you have against the mentor groups??

Where is all the negativity you speak of?  Seriously......point me to it, I'd like to see what you are talking about.  I don't know of another board with as much encouragement as I see on this one. 

You're right that you don't see it as much.  This board has always been 95-99% positive, but when it was far more active, you'd get more trolls, threads would get hotly debated, and some users would resort to personal attacks to settle their differences.  That's just the nature of the internet when people are passionate about something, yet still want to hide behind a screen name.  

Now that this forum isn't as active, you don't see it nearly as much.  The people who like to "pick a fight" tend to hang around forums with more activity.  But there was indeed a time when tri talk used to get 500+ posts per day without blinking an eye.  1000+ posts per day when hot topic threads were involved.  Threads that got started at 8am would sometimes be on page 3 by 8pm.  Nowadays, it's not uncommon to see a thread which was last posted to 24 hours ago still on page 1.

If you have time to burn, maybe see if you can find threads in the 2010ish time frame that would get to 5-7 pages.  You'll see more times than not some of them turned south.  It seemed like every week there was a thread that the mods would have to step in an either warn people or shut them down completely.  You don't see that anymore.

2014-07-29 10:36 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Pro

Originally posted by Jason N

You're right that you don't see it as much.  This board has always been 95-99% positive, but when it was far more active, you'd get more trolls, threads would get hotly debated, and some users would resort to personal attacks to settle their differences.  That's just the nature of the internet when people are passionate about something, yet still want to hide behind a screen name.  

Now that this forum isn't as active, you don't see it nearly as much.  The people who like to "pick a fight" tend to hang around forums with more activity.  But there was indeed a time when tri talk used to get 500+ posts per day without blinking an eye.  1000+ posts per day when hot topic threads were involved.  Threads that got started at 8am would sometimes be on page 3 by 8pm.  Nowadays, it's not uncommon to see a thread which was last posted to 24 hours ago still on page 1.

If you have time to burn, maybe see if you can find threads in the 2010ish time frame that would get to 5-7 pages.  You'll see more times than not some of them turned south.  It seemed like every week there was a thread that the mods would have to step in an either warn people or shut them down completely.  You don't see that anymore.

So....if it was worse then, how is it worse now?  I'm not tracking the idea that TT is somehow worse.  I get that there may not be as much traffic, I'll take your word for it.  BUT......it seems to me that some of the people who complain the most rarely post there.....so aren't they part of the problem?

As for personal attacks.....you should have seen some of the hunting/dog training boards I used to frequent.......there were instances when people drove hundreds of miles to confront someone in person....it was nuts.....or hysterical, depending on your view of someone coming unglued.  

BT is a great resource for people new to triathlon, and one of the friendliest boards I've ever seen.

2014-07-30 5:14 AM

Extreme Veteran
  • .or hysterical, depending on your view of someone coming unglued.  

• does this sum up where you get your entertainment value ?
    2014-07-30 6:28 AM
    in reply to: marcag

2014-07-30 6:45 AM

Master
    Englewood, Florida

If BT is a community, then each "area" of the forums is a part of the community and each thread is a neighborhood within that community. Some people are more comfortable at their local Elks club, or Moose lodge, or local bar, church or restaurant. Or hanging out on the neighbor's lawn. Each one of those areas is a part of the greater community and each lends some value to the community as a whole. But to expect everyone in a large community to be in the same "pool" or forum or thread is not very realistic. We don't all have the same goals and we are not all in the same place in our lives. So, there are opportunities for people to go where they are comfortable, be they Athenas and Clydes, Nutrition junkies, Ultra runners, cyclists, Ironmen and Women, or gear aficionados.

After a bit of thought lately, I feel that BT as a community is completely fine the way it is. A bit stretched out, somewhat disjointed at times and not all on the same page, yes. But also vibrant in many areas. People come and go, just like any other community and that helps keep it growing, every changing, ever evolving.  And all the while, BT continues to maintain at it's core the added value of being kind, caring, and helpful to beginners.

2014-07-30 9:11 AM

Originally posted by Left BrainWhere is all the negativity you speak of?

I don't see any at all. Nothing measurable, for sure. I'm a beginner. I've been fairly active the last few days (finally work has settled down enough for me to waste time on the interwebz) and I see no negativity. Sure, every now and then I see some terse quips that I can see how some might interpret as negative. It's not. It's just someone opinionating.

I've got a thick internet skin, but I'm pretty confident I can leave it in the closet when I come here. I see no reason a beginner/noob/explorer with less-thick skin would be afraid or hesitant to post here.

You all do a really good job. Seriously. I think this board is really well run too. I don't even know who the admin/admins are. That's my judge of a good board. It's kind of like not noticing officials/referees in a sporting match. That means the posters are staying relevant and as courteous as they need to be and the admin isn't trying to micromanage.

Some of it's the nature of beast. When the board first came along, y'all were excited to have the same discussions on which tri-tops were best. Now that you've all talked about it a zillion times, and gave your opinions to us beginners that come along...I'm sure it gets old. It's sort of like trying to write a letter/email to a friend every day. At some point, you're going to run out of things to say. Well, not totally. But you know what I mean.

I certainly appreciate those of you that do hang around and are willing to talk about tri tops yet again. Or offer your opinions back and forth between each other, or in response to queries from folks like me.
    2014-07-30 9:27 AM

Pro

Originally posted by marcag
    Originally posted by Left Brain..or hysterical, depending on your view of someone coming unglued.  
    does this sum up where you get your entertainment value ?
    hard to know, but it's another example of why some us stay away from the anonymous main forums like TT. Unfortunately this thread is morphing into a prime example of why I put so little value here. A poster says there is no issue, so THEREFORE there is no issue. A poster states that it can be funny watching someone become unglued, and yet this is the nicest forum ever. More NOISE in my useless opinion, so I will sign out from here.

Actually, no, I think people who come unglued because of posts on an internet board are weird.....but not everyone thinks that way, some think it's funny....but I WAS talking about another board altogether....you know that.

And Fred, the fact is, there are plenty of people who don't agree with you and don't think there is an issue....no matter if you think your opinion is useless or not.  Still, I'm waiting for an example of all this negativity you speak of. (no fair using your own posts)

2014-07-30 11:10 AM

Extreme Veteran
    Still, I'm waiting for an example of all this negativity you speak of. (no fair using your own posts)

Off the top of my head....

...in my career I never did understand what guys got out of smacking someone who was handcuffed......but I gotta admit, you're close to making me see the fun in it. LOL   

But it's ok, it has a smiley face next to it
    2014-07-30 11:34 AM

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain Still, I'm waiting for an example of all this negativity you speak of. (no fair using your own posts)

...in my career I never did understand what guys got out of smacking someone who was handcuffed......but I gotta admit, you're close to making me see the fun in it. LOL   

That's rich. LOL   

You should go to work for CNN.  Context is everything, old son.  The fact is, you and fred like to dish it out but you can't stand any heat at all.  It's an old story.

2014-07-30 11:58 AM

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Left Brain Still, I'm waiting for an example of all this negativity you speak of. (no fair using your own posts)

That's rich. LOL   

You should go to work for CNN.  Context is everything, old son.  The fact is, you and fred like to dish it out but you can't stand any heat at all.  It's an old story.

YOU asked for an example, I provided one, there are many others. I'd provide them but you will simply discount them like you discount anything that does align to your opinion.

2014-07-30 12:06 PM

Pro

That's rich. LOL   

YOU asked for an example, I provided one, there are many others. I'd provide them but you will simply discount them like you discount anything that does align to your opinion.

It was a metaphor within the confines of a discourse between Fred and I.....hardly negative.  I guess you could try again, but yeah, you and I aren't going to find much common ground.  I'm good with that.

2014-07-30 12:17 PM

Master
    Northern IL

Haven't been here that much longer, and not all that long before a number of the bigger changes mentioned, so not really a whole lot new to remember. Unfortunately, what situations I do remember were also heavily edited or deleted outright for such content (convenient, right? ), so trying to provide an example to read is rather difficult at best.

Things don't necessarily have to get *that* bad relative to any other place, do they? I see it as being more inline with the goals of the site. And with that being a rather friendly and inviting place, I sure hope situations never get anywhere near like the hunting site and tracking people down in person before something is done!

2014-07-30 12:20 PM
    in reply to: 0

Extreme Veteran

That's rich. LOL   

It was a metaphor within the confines of a discourse between Fred and I.....hardly negative.  I guess you could try again, but yeah, you and I aren't going to find much common ground.  I'm good with that.

negativity comes from when you tell people their beliefs, opinions, passions....are stupid, silly or meaningless especially with no fact behind it.

Nothing wrong is saying "I think that's wrong because of X,Y,Z" but simply bashing with no fact provides no value.

i'm done

Edited by marcag 2014-07-30 12:22 PM
    2014-07-30 12:35 PM

Pro

That's rich. LOL   

negativity comes from when you tell people their beliefs, opinions, passions....are stupid, silly or meaningless especially with no fact behind it. Nothing wrong is saying "I think that's wrong because of X,Y,Z" but simply bashing with no fact provides no value. i'm done

Good.  I'm glad you have it out of your system. 

2014-07-30 12:42 PM

Alpharetta, Georgia
    Bronze member

"That's rich"
    "I guess you could try again"
    "I'm glad you have it out of your system"

Do you think most people categorize these as positive or negative responses?

2014-07-30 12:43 PM

Champion
    MA

I don't think any business model includes less activity and action on their site.. Less experienced triathletes sharing with beginners makes for less activity in forums of all types, folks just logging their workouts and not doing much else isn't an ideal business model. Folks staying visiting their friend's blogs, reading and participating in forum threads multiple times a day, seems a better business model than just logging once a day and attracting new triathletes.

Is it not harder to get new folks than keeping existing athletes? Seems strange to let so many leave due to changes to the site which I do think effects new traffic. When a forum thread has 4 posts in 24 hours, no real reason to come back very often.

I find ST much more informative and I learn things on that site. Here I try to help and give back, but with the new design I no longer get much from the site like I did when the friends and inspire part of the site was big plus here but since redesign is almost dead.

I miss the old BT.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » change BT name Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Change brake pads when changing out race wheels?

Started by Nhmountainman
    Views: 1068 Posts: 4

2013-05-26 6:07 PM Bevie

foot strike change, should I change shoes?

Started by trigal38
    Views: 1717 Posts: 18

2010-12-29 11:17 PM AdventureBear

BeginnerTriathlete.com: why not changing the name? Pages: 1 2

Started by Plissken74
    Views: 2715 Posts: 43

2008-04-15 10:36 PM slake707

IMNA changes name (what next?)

Started by nccgrap
    Views: 932 Posts: 6

2006-11-03 3:06 PM coredump

New to BT and a bit lost as to how to train with BT

Started by Sharona1973
    Views: 1058 Posts: 8

2006-05-21 12:20 PM TH3_FRB
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : April 23, 2009
    author : Team BT
    comments : 0
    Video of the six kick change swim drill.

date : July 14, 2008
    author : Birkierunner
    comments : 2
    Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.
    date : May 5, 2008
    author : mrakes1
    Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : November 6, 2007
    author : Ron
    comments : 2
    Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
    date : June 27, 2006
    Motivational and inspirational interviews of BT members beginning July 2nd, 2006

date : January 29, 2006
    author : Team BT
    I started the Beginner Triathlete training program in earnest after Chinese New Year. I viewed the distances in the peak week with trepidation - how on earth would I manage it?
    date : April 19, 2005
    How to configure and use your triathlon training log or blog.

date : October 17, 2004
    author : infosteward
    I want your tastes to be satisfied. I want you to feel like you’re coming home each Monday when you view the new articles uploaded to the site.