General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman transition bags, special needs bags, etc... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-28 4:56 PM

Subject: Ironman transition bags, special needs bags, etc...
Hey all, I found this write-up here a few years ago and thought it might be useful for folks who are doing their first IM branded race this year. I can't say for sure that every single IM race is the same, but I used this write-up for IMFL 2012 and it was just about perfect. (BTW, super big thanks to whoever wrote this!)

----------------------------------------------------------
I wrote this up a few years ago, for some friends who had questions about all the bags, etc. It's different from non-Ironman tri. Hope it helps--let me know if you have any questions.

When you go to check in/register for the race...you'll get your race numbers, they'll put a wristband on you to wear proudly for the next few days (and then a few weeks after the race...you might not want to take it off!), your swim cap, your chip, and hopefully will provide good chip straps.

In your race packet...there will be FIVE bags, each a different color. They will say "Swim to Bike Transition", "Bike to Run Transition," "Bike Special Needs," "Run Special Needs," and "Dry Clothes". Well, they won't actually SAY that...they haven't invented talking bags! ha! It's printed on them. They're the drawstring plastic bags like you get at many races.

There is a rectangular area on each bag where you will put a sticker (from the race packet) that has your race number on it. The number stickers are all on a sheet together, and are labeled as to what to do with them. So put your number on the five bags. The other sticker numbers are: big number for the bike, small number for the bike (goes on the stem) and one for your helmet. You'll also get 2 race bibs...one says "first name" and the other says "last name"...you can wear one for bike and one for run...or same one for both (I wear the Betsy bib for both bike and run on a race belt). Nice to have your name so total strangers can cheer for you! Ironman does like you to have your number on the back for the bike, so a race belt is usually the way to go.
(the bibs might be different as of 2012--but this is how it was for many years in a row. They might have your first name on both.)

OK...back to those bags!

The dry clothes bag is where you will put your sweats/jacket that you wear down to the race site. Maybe a bit of food to have pre race or post-race. Whatever shoes you wear to the start area and/or sandals or comfy shoes to have post-race. Your bike pump may fit. Of course, you will have your Sherpa to help you with some of these things! You'll drop off this bag at a designated location as you head to the swim start.

In swim to bike transition, you'll put your helmet (with number sticker!), your bike shoes, any clothes if you're changing or adding a top, race belt with number, socks if you wear them, sunscreen, sunglasses, gloves (if you wear them), chamois butter, kitchen sink, whatever you need to get going on the bike. Note that you will not have the usual pile of stuff next to your bike in transition. Though you may visit your bike on race morning and load up your bike bottles, nutrition, bento box, check tires, etc.

For this transition, you'll get out of the swim, the wetsuit strippers will pull your wetsuit off you, you'll carry that with a smile on your face to the rows of transition bags (laid out in number order with signs), grab your bag, go into the changing tent, and get ready to ride. Your wetsuit and swim cap and goggles will go into the swim to bike bag when you are done (a volunteer may be available to help you). Then just leave the bag in the tent (they'll put it back out for you to collect after the race) and head off to the bike racks, get your bike, and ride, ride, ride!! Sometimes you get your bike handed to you by a volunteer, but don't count on it. Since full Ironman races have change tents, you can do a full change of clothes if you want.

In bike to run transition, you'll have: running shoes, visor or cap, sunscreen, any food items, socks, whatever.... When you get off the bike, a volunteer will take your bike as you enter transition...you won't have to re-rack it. You may leave your shoes on the bike if you dismount that way. You'll run back to the bag rows and get your other transition bag (see why they are different colors?)...and head back into the changing tent....swap out shoes, grab what you need, and get going. Your bike helmet and shoes will be left in the bike to run bag. Same deal...they'll put it out for you to collect later. Then go out and run, run, run!!!

Bike special needs...I put in mine: bottles of sports drink if I don't use what's on the course(frozen the night before ...request a fridge for your hotel room if you haven't done so!); a PB sandwich and/or some salty snacks, extra bike tubes, extra CO2 cartridges, extra chamois butter and gels. (If I could figure out how to get all my nutrition from the course, I might be able to skip this step, but I like my current Infinit mix). They'll let you know at the pre-race meeting where special needs will be, usually around half way through the bike, though it is before halfway at Florida and way after halfway at Canada. You might not get this bag back after the race (these are not treated as nicely as the transition bags). Don't put anything in there you will be heartbroken over if you don't get the bag back.

Run special needs...these will be near the 1/2 way part of the run...you'll get it at the end of the first loop/start of second loop. I put in mine: Tylenol, long sleeved shirt, extra socks, any snacks??, not too much needed by this point, because I haven't figured out how to put extra fresh fast running legs in there. Again, you might not get this bag back after the race.

After the race, you'll get your medal! yay!! They'll put the foil blanket on you, you'll get an ugly photo taken (well, mine are...I'm so icky after a race!), you can get some food (pizza, fruit, coke!!, gatorade, water), and then get your dry clothes bag to put your sweats on so you don't freeze.

Then you drag your tired body to pick up your bike and your transition bags and head to the hotel to shower so you can be out to watch the midnight finishers!

For those Sherpas...you will also get in your race packet a little "ticket" with your race number on it, so your Sherpa can pick up your bike and bags for you if you are unable to. (The other trick to this is that you give this ticket to someone and have them pick up your bike and gear while you're on the run, so you don't have to mess with it later.)

The special needs bags "may" be available (not nicely sorted) the following morning. Sometimes they just end up in a huge pile (i.e. mess) and they're tough to find. You probably won't get the bike special needs bag back.

Oh, and I said to put sunscreen in the transition bags...they actually have sunscreen volunteers...but they don't always do a neat job.

One more thing...you will drop off your two transition bags and your bike the day before the race. This is a cause of stress for many people...because it's like giving up control of your stuff. You will fret about if you packed everything, etc. Make a list and double check it. Don't pack this bag 10 min. before time to drop it off. You will be able to re-check these bags and your bike on race morning.

The transition bags will be dropped off on race morning (good thing, since most people's bike SN bags have food/drinks) at a pre-designated spot.

2014-07-28 11:11 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman transition bags, special needs bags, etc...

I just did my first Ironman yesterday and this would have been helpful beforehand so thanks for posting it.

A couple minor things that have changed since it was originally written:

1 ." They will say "Swim to Bike Transition", "Bike to Run Transition," "Bike Special Needs," "Run Special Needs," and "Dry Clothes". ".

They are now called: Morning Clothes Bag, Bike Gear Bag, & Run Gear Bag.    See the attached photo for what they look like and what I put in them all (I didn't use Bike Special Needs or Run Special Needs,

2. "You'll also get 2 race bibs...one says "first name" and the other says "last name"...you can wear one for bike and one for run...or same one for both/

There is actually now only 1 race bib that you wear on the run only (Again see the posted pic)

3. "They'll let you know at the pre-race meeting where special needs will be, usually around half way through the bike, though it is before halfway at Florida and way after halfway at Canada"

They must have moved it because Bike Special Needs was Exactly at the half way point of the bike course for Ironman Canada.

2014-07-30 6:02 PM
in reply to: Chillin

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman transition bags, special needs bags, etc...
Thanks for sharing. Flagging this so I have it when I am panicking in the few weeks leading up to my IM.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman transition bags, special needs bags, etc... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Food & special needs bag at Ironman races

Started by kevinlbrown
Views: 2936 Posts: 12

2012-10-04 11:24 AM Socks

Stuff getting melty in transition / special FOODs bags?

Started by grit_nugget
Views: 1317 Posts: 11

2008-08-07 9:06 PM grit_nugget

special needs bags??

Started by jesswah
Views: 917 Posts: 3

2007-02-18 11:13 PM dgunthert

special needs bags

Started by Kpoulsen
Views: 1501 Posts: 22

2007-03-15 12:00 PM runnergirl

Ironman Special Needs Bags

Started by ladavidson
Views: 3459 Posts: 11

2005-01-26 3:53 PM Drinking Buddy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 17, 2013
author : hoffsquared
comments : 0
I was pretty excited to test out a triathlon-specific gear bag. I'm on the lookout for something functional, comfortable, and maybe even a bit stylish.

date : December 10, 2012
author : XLAB Hydration
XLAB releases the Stealth Pocket and the Rocket Pocket series of aero bags.
date : March 4, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on wide feet, Ironman nutrition and it's importance, the use of fins in swimming, transition mistakes, special needs bags and running sockless.

date : March 8, 2007
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 2
How tricked out can someone make a triathlon duffel bag that stands out from the rest?
date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
Until now, I have shied away from triathlon-specific gear bags. They were just too small for my needs. So imagine my skepticism the day the RRS Triathlon Backpack showed up on my door.

date : April 10, 2005
author : scuba-punk
comments : 2
Tuesday April 5, 2005 marks the 1 year anniversary of my departure from my old life - a life consuming bags of fried pork rinds and way less activity than a person should be able to get away with.
date : November 14, 2004
author : Glenn
I have seen cyclists go to a bike shop the day before a race expecting their problem to be fixed, only to be told the shop cannot complete the job in time.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Dillion
comments : 1
If anyone is considering expanding their horizons and getting into doing an Ironman distance or ½ Ironman distance race, there are many tips and tricks that can help in having a pleasant experience.