General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is this even possible? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-29 1:34 PM

Regular
Subject: Is this even possible?
I signed up for a 70.3 over a month ago. It sounded totally doable at the time. I have 11 weeks. When I signed up I could already do the swim and bike distance and my long run was a 6 miles. Now I can do the swim and bike distance and my long run is still 6 miles I'm panicking. Life keeps coming up.An uncooperative spouse (who gave his permission before I signed up and adjusting to new orthotics which were a necessity) I'm ready to work hard between now and then but is it even possible?

Thanks for any encouragement or a bounce back to reality.

2014-07-29 1:49 PM
in reply to: camprunner

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Is this even possible?

Piece of cake .....quite few people have long runs of no more than 8-10 miles before a HIM.  If you can do the swim and bike, you can always walk the "run" with about 1/2 the entrants....it's pretty standard.  Carry on with your training and enjoy your race.

2014-07-29 1:52 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Originally posted by Left Brain

Piece of cake .....quite few people have long runs of no more than 8-10 miles before a HIM.  If you can do the swim and bike, you can always walk the "run" with about 1/2 the entrants....it's pretty standard.  Carry on with your training and enjoy your race.

x2

totally doable

2014-07-29 2:08 PM

Piece of cake .....quite few people have long runs of no more than 8-10 miles before a HIM. If you can do the swim and bike, you can always walk the "run" with about 1/2 the entrants....it's pretty standard. Carry on with your training and enjoy your race.

Dude....you're scaring me. As anxious as I am about my first Olympic, even though there's some 'worries'....I know I'll finish. Probably stronger than I think as I'm increasing training.

I'm not all that far from where the OP is.

Don't go making me want to start thinking about that kind of distance.

At least not until early winter when I redouble efforts to keep my fitness level up without being able to use the outdoors as much.
2014-07-29 2:13 PM

So have you been swimming and biking for the last month?
2014-07-29 2:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jhaack39

Piece of cake .....quite few people have long runs of no more than 8-10 miles before a HIM. If you can do the swim and bike, you can always walk the "run" with about 1/2 the entrants....it's pretty standard. Carry on with your training and enjoy your race.

Dude....you're scaring me. As anxious as I am about my first Olympic, even though there's some 'worries'....I know I'll finish. Probably stronger than I think as I'm increasing training. I'm not all that far from where the OP is. Don't go making me want to start thinking about that kind of distance. At least not until early winter when I redouble efforts to keep my fitness level up without being able to use the outdoors as much.

Do a couple or 3 Oly's and then do the HIM.......you will be surprised how easy it feels to finish.

Edited by Left Brain 2014-07-29 2:23 PM

2014-07-29 2:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
You're not going to win, but you won't be last. Totally possible.

I personally don't like running much more than 10 miles for my 'long' runs, and I don't find it matters much on race day. In my limited experience with halfs, they aren't really a 'run' anyway -you aren't running a half mary the same way you would run an open half mary. It's so much more of a mental game than a half mary...you are mentally very tired by the time you start running.

I think the key to success with the half is, in order 1) the bike, 2) the swim, 3) nutrition, 4) the run 5)everything else. If you overdo it or underdo it on the bike or the swim, you'll either be exhausted or wayyy behind when you start the run. Also, screw up your nutrition and it won't matter if you did the swim or bike perfectly. Hit the first the 3 and you have the potential for a good run.

11 weeks is a pretty good chunk of time, assuming you have a good base (you do, don't you???). That's 3 pretty good build cycles and a good taper if you do it right. If you're running 6 for your long right now you could get to 30 miles a week in 7 weeks if you follow a simple plan (like Barry's 123) which is a pretty sweet spot to be. Not knowing much about your base, it's impossible to say much more, but if you're already 'doing' the swim and the bike and can run 6 miles, banish any doubt about crossing the finish line.
2014-07-29 2:30 PM

User image

Originally posted by jhaack39

Dude....you're scaring me. As anxious as I am about my first Olympic, even though there's some 'worries'....I know I'll finish. Probably stronger than I think as I'm increasing training. I'm not all that far from where the OP is. Don't go making me want to start thinking about that kind of distance. At least not until early winter when I redouble efforts to keep my fitness level up without being able to use the outdoors as much.

Do a couple or 3 Oly's and then do the HIM.......you will be surprised how easy it feels to finish.

I would like to believe it is that easy. Maybe next year. From my perspective, the increase in swim is incremental from Oly, the bike is shorter than my regular Sunday ride, but I only run about 20 miles a week, and that just doesn't seem like enough. To complete a HM alone without feeling like I am going to die the next day, I need about 35 miles/week.

You do make it sound tempting, though.

To the OP, not to be mean, but what is the deal with your husband giving you "permission"? I think you need to participate in more races to build confidence.
2014-07-29 2:40 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Originally posted by happyscientist
I would like to believe it is that easy. Maybe next year. From my perspective, the increase in swim is incremental from Oly, the bike is shorter than my regular Sunday ride, but I only run about 20 miles a week, and that just doesn't seem like enough. To complete a HM alone without feeling like I am going to die the next day, I need about 35 miles/week.

The 'increase' in the swim isn't measured in meters, it's measured in fitness, as in how much does it take out of you. Same with the bike. The run will take everything out of you, but you don't die the next day. On the contrary, you're pretty sore, but you haven't had an endorphin rush that powerful since your first kiss. 35 miles a week is a lot if you're gonna do well on the bike, unless you are disproportionately talented on the bike. If you are, then 35 is bang on (that's my MO! )
2014-07-29 2:41 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

11 weeks should be plenty of time to get ready for your run. 

As mentioned previously, I wouldn't worry about doing anything longer thean ten miles in training.

You also might want to try something like a Galloway run/walk strategy.  It might get you to the finisher faster than if you try to run the entire way and then run out of gas the last few miles.

Good luck,

Mark

2014-07-29 2:52 PM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Originally posted by fisherman76

The 'increase' in the swim isn't measured in meters, it's measured in fitness, as in how much does it take out of you. Same with the bike. The run will take everything out of you, but you don't die the next day. On the contrary, you're pretty sore, but you haven't had an endorphin rush that powerful since your first kiss. 35 miles a week is a lot if you're gonna do well on the bike, unless you are disproportionately talented on the bike. If you are, then 35 is bang on (that's my MO! )

The swim is by far my worst leg, and I am disproportionately talented (I like that terminology) on the bike. That is actually why I would consider increasing the distance. But man, I remember how exhausted I felt after that first HM a few years ago. I do have to remind myself that the pacing would be completely different and running it in under two hours would be entirely unrealistic. I am the type of person who believes in leaving everything on the course. I'll see next year. I have only raced 5 tris so far, and I am not a bucket list person. If I feel up to it, though, I might train for it.

2014-07-29 3:04 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Pro

Originally posted by fisherman76
Originally posted by happyscientist I would like to believe it is that easy. Maybe next year. From my perspective, the increase in swim is incremental from Oly, the bike is shorter than my regular Sunday ride, but I only run about 20 miles a week, and that just doesn't seem like enough. To complete a HM alone without feeling like I am going to die the next day, I need about 35 miles/week.
The swim is by far my worst leg, and I am disproportionately talented (I like that terminology) on the bike. That is actually why I would consider increasing the distance. But man, I remember how exhausted I felt after that first HM a few years ago. I do have to remind myself that the pacing would be completely different and running it in under two hours would be entirely unrealistic. I am the type of person who believes in leaving everything on the course. I'll see next year. I have only raced 5 tris so far, and I am not a bucket list person. If I feel up to it, though, I might train for it.

I think you got it right.  My comment was how easy it is to finish a HIM after 2 or 3 Oly's....racing it is another story.  Then again, there is NO easy distance if you are racing....it all sucks differently.

2014-07-29 3:38 PM

User image

I think you got it right.  My comment was how easy it is to finish a HIM after 2 or 3 Oly's....racing it is another story.  Then again, there is NO easy distance if you are racing....it all sucks differently.

I didn't start this sport until after I turned 40, so I might never get more than my AG awards, but dang it, I put everything I have out there.

Edited by happyscientist 2014-07-29 3:40 PM
2014-07-29 3:46 PM

User image

Regular
You most definitely CAN do this! What is your current weekly run volume? You can easily get your long run to 10 + miles between now and then.

I just finished Racine 70.3 and had a run volume of 30 miles for the previous TWO months prior to the race. My long run leading up to the race was a 8 mile jog/walk the previous weekend. I finished in 5:42 with a 2:11 HM.

Todd
2014-07-30 12:11 AM

Regular
My run base isn't all that good. Maybe 12 miles per week? two 3-4 miles runs and a 6 mile run right now. And yes, I'm biking and running. Right now I'm limited to two spin classes and a long ride due to child care. Swimming is the same way. Two coached swim practices and if I'm lucky an open water swim. Swimming is my strong point. I have a background in running so there is no reason for my run to be suffering this much except that I haven't been doing much of it.

Edited by camprunner 2014-07-30 12:14 AM
2014-07-30 11:01 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

If your goal is to finish, you will be just fine and will finish well. 

I am not proud to admit it, but I was woefully undertrained for my first HIM. We are talking like 350 total biking miles from Jan to June, maybe 100 running miles in thos 6 months, if I was generous. Swim was a total joke. In my defense I met my now wife in Feb and got married that August so the June race took a back seat. I think my long run going in was 7 or 8 miles. Yes my HIM swim took over 1 hour, but I got it done in very bad water conditions.

But I come from zero athletic background (music nerd) and was still able to finish and had a great time. Yes it took me close to 7 hours, but I finished and had lots of fun. 

If the goal is finishing, an HIM is very doable for many people. But as LB said, if you are actually racing, that is a whole nuther story. I have yet to "race" a tri, perhaps an Oly or HIM someday, but at this point I am still attempting to become an athlete after getting a late start on things.

2014-07-30 11:28 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
you know, this thread got me thinking...there was a thread on ST where some a$$hat called out another poster for openly wondering what makes a top AGer consider going pro, and his (asinine) reasoning was 'you must not understand the drive inside, the desire to be the best at everything', etc. It occurred to me *how* ridiculous this was on a number of levels:

1) if you're doing a triathlon at all, there is some ridiculous amount of competitive spirit in you. If you've ever toed a line, you are part of a very small slice of the world, one occupied by people that are very fit and very active. Sure, there are some one and done types, and some people who try but it doesn't take root, that's fine, it doesn't skew the population too much.

2) Why do we feel the need to slice that already small slice of the world into smaller slices and categorize triathletes as pro, elite, top AGer, AGer, or newbie is beyond me. You know what you get for winning? In my experience, a pint glass or a coffee mug. Maybe some gu. Occasionally a pair of goggles, very rarely some cash or comped entrance fees. It doesn't amount to much, that's for sure. The satisfaction you get from doing your best is exactly the same whether you beat nobody, somebody, or everybody to the finish line. AG awards are hilarious to me as well - at a recent event, a girl won her age group simply because there were no other entrants in it. She for some reason felt mortified. I reminded her that the winner of a more populated AG only won because someone faster didn't show up that day...same thing. It doesn't prove you are the fastest in your age and gender...it just says on *that* day in *that* event you crossed the line first amount people your age and gender. You didn't win, you just didn't lose to someone who didn't show up. The overall winner wins. Ricky Bobby said it eloquently, "If you ain't first, you're last".

3) 'racing' is only a usable term because the word triathlon doesn't conjugate. If you do a marathon, you probably don't refer to it as racing, you say you're running a marathon. You're not going to win, but that isn't the point, and nobody assumes otherwise. If it conjugated better we would say we are 'triathloning', which is a thing unto itself. It means you will swim, bike, and run for anywhere from an hour to 18 hours in a single day. That is an amazing accomplishment, albeit a *personal* one. I don't understand the need to cheapen it by saying, 'I didn't podium'. Seriously?

I say the only goal should be to finish. Even if you win, your goal is to finish. Everyone leaves everything out there...the best they have that day with that level of fitness and that body. What was your other goal, to go fast? BS, you went as fast as you could. Maybe you go faster next time. If you have the ability to go even faster, go that fast. If you go out there with any other goal you are setting yourself up for a disappointment unnecessarily. Didn't go as fast as you hoped? So what, are you going to all over the months of training that went into that moment? Take all that effort and say it was for naught? If so, see a shrink. I say that's the wrong outlook.
2014-07-31 9:57 PM

Regular
Thank you for the encouragement! Yes, I am just finishing this one. It will be my first HIM distance and i don't want to be miserable. My run miles per week are 10-12 miles right now. I'm just going to keep at it. My swim and bike are as strong as I've ever been. It's really just the run.
2014-08-01 7:02 AM

User image

Have you guys been talking to my triathlon club? At OWS the other night, they were telling me that I had the fitness for a HIM and that I should start planning for one next summer. All of this talk is starting to get to me.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is this even possible? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Is this even possible?

Started by abraxas
Views: 1342 Posts: 14

2011-12-05 4:19 PM armydude1

I am a beginner and I am scared, but hopeful

Started by trisome
Views: 3066 Posts: 15

2013-08-07 7:47 AM Sidney Porter

Is this even possible?

Started by goran007
Views: 778 Posts: 15

2006-09-21 12:09 PM joelkratzer

Is it possible I am overestimating my Lactate Threshold?

Started by lifeisgood
Views: 1460 Posts: 21

2005-10-18 8:31 AM madeye

Is this even possible?

Started by NomadicDawn
Views: 1075 Posts: 10

2005-05-26 10:53 PM blessteve
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : March 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
Provide your body with a wholesome and nutritious meal and keep healthy, low-calorie evening snacks available for after dinner.