General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor trainer where to start? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-08-04 1:32 PM
in reply to: GotBackup

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Subject: RE: Indoor trainer where to start?
Originally posted by GotBackup

Ok I'm still shopping, but I found a cheap ANT+ dongle, with looking around, I think regardless of what I get I can get the right assemblies/libraries and firmware for any ANT component (I can program sort of), I think the Garmin SCS-10 is the defacto sensor and I can then use it with a future Garmin watch, I was planning on upgrading to a multi-sport watch anyways. so I can omit the headunit unless I can get a chap ANT used one, other than that I can wait until the watch upgrade, I would assume the wife has caught a few hints . Now I need to see what I can get a trainer for, I have found mag’s in the 40-100$ range and seen a few Fluid for the 100+ range. I figure $20 for a dongle, and 30 for the sensor, so it is just wait for the right deals.

The only thing I'd suggest is to try to buy the watch now, since it will come with the ANT+ dongle. The Garmin 310 is an excellent multisport watch and has recently been as cheap as $150, which includes the watch, dongle and a HR strap. If you aren't interested in HR, then you can sell that for $20-25 on here really easy. There are also occasionally bundles which also include the GSC-10, but for some odd reason, those rarely give any better of a discount.

2014-08-04 3:42 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

Subject: RE: Indoor trainer where to start?
Originally posted by Mike_D

3 essentials for indoor:

1. Trainer of your choice
2. Sign up Trainer Road
3. The Sufferfest training videos

And a speed/cadence sensor which is ANT+ compatible.

So 4 things.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

That's my formula exactly.

I use an old $50 mag trainer that works fine for now...it's been 2 yrs of use and I keep waiting for it to wear out so I can buy a KK but the darn thing keeps plugging along.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor trainer where to start? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

indoor cycling trainer

Started by srkr13
Views: 1283 Posts: 10

2006-07-11 10:07 PM MForger18

Rolling Resistance and Indoor Trainers

Started by qbtri
Views: 1081 Posts: 6

2006-01-20 10:35 AM Daremo

Bored on my indoor trainer

Started by crazylegs
Views: 1396 Posts: 22

2005-05-09 1:33 PM clflgrl

How do indoor swim starts work?

Started by Ozmokis
Views: 981 Posts: 9

2005-02-09 1:42 PM gypsykorea

Indoor bike trainer around $300+/- any suggestions?

Started by sp1173
Views: 908 Posts: 8

2004-10-11 9:49 AM sp1173
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 25, 2012
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
This article will discuss the differences between TrainerRoad and PowerTap's power numbers and how to best use each of them.

date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.
date : November 5, 2010
author : FitWerx
Do you struggle to hold your power output indoors versus outdoors? The keys to this problem are due to lack of cooling and the flywheel effect.

date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.