General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor trainer where to start? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-07-29 3:55 PM

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Subject: Indoor trainer where to start?
Anyone able to guide me on indoor cycle training? what do I need what do I want? My bike is 650c so I might be limited from what I have read on some trainers, unless I get an adapter. I have decided to focus on running this year, and plan to start riding this fall. I have a limited budget, so I will be stuck with self paced or dvd's too. I am thinking <$200 total, I have seen some mag trainers on CL for <100. and figure a computer for a rear wheel will cost $40.

2014-07-29 4:57 PM
in reply to: #5032243

Subject: RE: Indoor trainer where to start?
I use a cheap $70 roller mag trainer my brother bought. Un branded I think. Dont use a bike computer on it, I just ride. Its loud as all heck, sounds like a bad (or good) muffler. But I have 700c wheels
2014-07-29 5:02 PM
in reply to: standbyzero

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Try to get a fluid trainer if you can swing it. The mag trainers are noisy as all get out, so much so they are hard to use. I bought a cheapo mag trainer to start, used it a few times and it was deafening, never used it again. 

I found my Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer on craigslist for $200, much better noise level and a very good trainer.

Check out the fluid trainers at Performance Bike, my brother in law bought on there, think it was $140 or so, he is happy with it and it is a decent, quiet, trainer.

2014-07-29 6:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Aarondb4

Try to get a fluid trainer if you can swing it. The mag trainers are noisy as all get out, so much so they are hard to use. I bought a cheapo mag trainer to start, used it a few times and it was deafening, never used it again. 

I found my Kurt Kinetic fluid trainer on craigslist for $200, much better noise level and a very good trainer.

Check out the fluid trainers at Performance Bike, my brother in law bought on there, think it was $140 or so, he is happy with it and it is a decent, quiet, trainer.

I second a KK fluid trainer, never ever heard of the fluid unit having issues and will work with 650 without an adaptor.  Rock solid customer service even if bought used.  I got mine many years ago on craigslist for $230 with a riser and the old KK CPU/speedo/power meter unit. It was barely used.

CycleOps fluid 2 is also good (older units have had leak issues) and around here are often cheaper on CL than the KK units.

The KK unit has a published power vs speed curve that can be useful in training.  If using a simple rear wheel speedo/cpu you can still use your speed to train by using virtual power.  I have the BT cycling plan in a spreadsheet that uses virtual power all based on speed.  No problem sharing it if you get a fluid trainer. So much better knowing what you have do based on testing and structured workouts.

BTW, great deal your local CL on this KK fluid unit for $100! Riser and mat just down the street from you!

Edited by Donto 2014-07-29 6:03 PM
2014-07-29 6:38 PM
in reply to: GotBackup

User image

Usually the used market for trainers is your best bet.  Fluid trainers tend to last a long time, and companies like Cycleops and Kurt Kinetic have honored warranties on their trainers even if you are not the original owner and do not have a receipt.  I'd say the going rate for a used fluid trainer like the Cycleops Fluid2 or the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine is around $200

If you live in an apartment (or plan to use the trainer upstairs), you probably want to seriously consider a fluid trainer and use some type of yoga mat (or similar) on the floor to keep the vibration noises to a minimum for the people below you.

2014-07-29 10:10 PM
in reply to: Donto

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
cool thanks for the link, I sent the guy or gal a email.

2014-07-30 5:31 AM

User image

Lafayette, Louisiana
Thank you for the information. It is very helpful. I'm Personal Training coach in Lafayette, LA.and Im glad to know some of this information.
2014-07-30 6:58 AM
in reply to: TGeiger

Master
Memphis, TN
Check Craigslist. So many people get a trainer and hate indoor training. That's how I got mine and it's great. Many trainers are adjustable from 26" wheels to 700c wheels. Check the make and model to make sure yours is compatible.

I'd also get a trainerroad account. It's a virtual power through the internet. Many here use it. It's only $10 per month and it gives you virtual power numbers to work off of.

Riser block for the front tire too.

Enjoy the pain
2014-07-30 7:12 AM

I have a KK Road Machine which I use mainly during the winter. No issues whatsoever to date. I highly recommend KK if you are going to be spending a lot of time on the trainer.
2014-07-30 8:27 AM
in reply to: 5stones

User image

Originally posted by 5stones

I have a KK Road Machine which I use mainly during the winter. No issues whatsoever to date. I highly recommend KK if you are going to be spending a lot of time on the trainer.

This is going to be my choice.
2014-07-30 8:35 AM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by jennifer_runs

The KK is an amazing trainer.

Another reason to chose it : all the best training/virtual training packages out there support it. For example Trainer Road was recommending it at one point
There are several of these software packages out there and the KK is the one that has the best support.

Virtual Power is an incredibly useful feature for those without power meters and the KK supports it the best.

2014-07-30 8:52 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I bought a new trainer back in April. I was planning on buying a KK but I wasn't planning on using TR. When I was about to pull the trigger on buying the KK I ran across DC rainmakers reviews on trainers. The KK did have a good review but he also gave a very good review for the Travel Trac Fluid trainer which is only $139 through Performance bike. I decided to buy the Travel Trac instead and have been very happy with it. I would suggest going to DC Rainmaker and reading some of his reviews this might help make your decision. Also, re: your question on if it adapts to 650 wheels it might be in DC Rainmakers reviews if not just call some place like Performance Bike that carries most brands of trainers and they could answer your question on which ones would work for you.
2014-07-30 9:09 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I've had two fluid trainers and used my tri-bike with 650 wheels on each without any problems.  

My original trainer was a garage sale find.  The frame was rigid and the resistance unit spring-biased against the rear wheel.  I used it 2-3 winters.  The resistance unit eventually quit offering any resistance and someone else wanted it so I lived without for a year.  

My second trainer came from Performance Bike.  The frame flexes and the rider's weight keeps the wheel on the resistance unit.  If I stand and/or lean forward, I can pretty well unload the rear wheel.  If I sit up, I load it down so it's almost opposite what I experience on the road (I only stand when it's a hard effort, and if I sit up to get a drink, it's usually when I want a break or drink, not when I want to work harder.  

I had them on an unfinished concrete surface most of the time so didn't worry about sweat dripping onto the floor.  Now that I've set it up on a finished floor, I use a mat to contain the sweat.  

Get a fan.

Fold a towel over the stem so you can wipe your face.  

While my bike computer pickup is on the rear wheel, I just assume a 17.5 mph average (about what I averaged outside).  

I've never bothered with a dedicated trainer tire and not worn out standard road tires using the trainer, but others have.  

2014-07-30 12:12 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
I see this all the time.

People are way hard on mag trainers and tend to grossly over exaggerate the noise made from mag trainers. My old tri club hosts groups spins, and people brought everything from KK's to cycleOps to $75 amazon trainers. Walking around the room, sure, the cheap ones were a bit louder, but nothing coming close to what you read about. There would be between 5-8 trainers spinning, and no one had to raise their voice to be clearly heard. I'm not saying that all cheap trainers are quiet, but certainly some are...just read the reviews.

If loudness is the deciding factor, don't feel compelled to waste $200 on what is only a couple dB.
2014-07-30 12:37 PM

User image

New user
As mentioned by a post in the middle of this thread - once you have a trainer, try out trainerRoad. Hands-down it's the best thing you can do for yourself when forced indoors on the bike. It provides structure, motivation, and (at least in my usage) great results over just "winging it".
2014-07-30 11:33 PM
in reply to: BxHBxH

User image

Inspired by this thread I went to Craigslist this morning-- and just bought a KK Road Machine! Bought it for about half the new price from a guy who hardly used it. These things seem to sell more easily in the winter, so this guy was happy to unload it for what I thought was a good price. Obviously I don't really need it yet, but I'm excited to try it out. My friend has a tire he's going to give me to put on my back wheel so I don't wear out my regular tire.

2014-07-31 10:46 AM
in reply to: marcag

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by jennifer_runs

The KK is an amazing trainer.

Another reason to chose it : all the best training/virtual training packages out there support it. For example Trainer Road was recommending it at one point
There are several of these software packages out there and the KK is the one that has the best support.

Virtual Power is an incredibly useful feature for those without power meters and the KK supports it the best.

What is needed to sync the data to a software package or something?
2014-07-31 1:59 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by GotBackup  What is needed to sync the data to a software package or something?

Read this on TR getting started.  Remember you'll lbe virtual power based.

In short, you need to get ANT+ or Bluetooth 4.0 speed and/or cadence sensors like the Garmin CSC10 for the bike and a USB dongle (antenna) for the PC/notebook PC.  With the ANT+ speed and cadence sensors you can use any ANT+ compatible head unit on your bike. I use a Bontrager Node 2.1. I bought everything used on ebay. The Node 2.1 with HRM strap I got for less then a new 1.1.  Shop around for deals.

Edited by Donto 2014-07-31 2:01 PM
2014-07-31 9:23 PM
in reply to: #5032243

User image

I use a Mag trainer - noise isn't too bad - just turn the volume up a little
2014-07-31 9:39 PM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I brought a fluid trainer (CycleOps) into Vietnam and have used it for a little over a year; recently bought a CycleOps Magneto to use at home in Oregon. I haven't noticed any difference in noise levels between the two. If anything, the magnetic one seems to run a little more smoothly. Now am wondering if the extra expense of the fluid trainer (in order not to antagonize downstairs neighbors) was really worth it.
2014-07-31 9:44 PM
in reply to: #5033546

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
I recently got a new KK trainer too. It's excellent for training days when it's too hot or buggy out. Also I've been finding myself using it late at night when my work prevents me from ring in the daylight. Don't be afraid to bust out your trainer sooner! ohh I've found Netflix is a great way to pass the time lol enjoy your new trainer!

2014-07-31 10:01 PM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

Now I just wish someone would make an iPhone app that works like TrainerRoad but with BTLE data. I already have a BTLE HRM. I won't buy a speed and cadence sensor right away until I see if someone makes this app I want. Please please please....
2014-07-31 11:49 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

Craigslist for the win. I picked up an older KK for $40 last year. I have been meaning to send in the load cell because it looks like is sat in water for awhile.

Also trainers suck... But if the choice is ride in cold snow or the trainer, the trainer wins.
2014-08-04 12:45 PM

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Originally posted by Donto

Originally posted by GotBackup  What is needed to sync the data to a software package or something?

Read this on TR getting started.  Remember you'll lbe virtual power based.

In short, you need to get ANT+ or Bluetooth 4.0 speed and/or cadence sensors like the Garmin CSC10 for the bike and a USB dongle (antenna) for the PC/notebook PC.  With the ANT+ speed and cadence sensors you can use any ANT+ compatible head unit on your bike. I use a Bontrager Node 2.1. I bought everything used on ebay. The Node 2.1 with HRM strap I got for less then a new 1.1.  Shop around for deals.

Ok I'm still shopping, but I found a cheap ANT+ dongle, with looking around, I think regardless of what I get I can get the right assemblies/libraries and firmware for any ANT component (I can program sort of), I think the Garmin SCS-10 is the defacto sensor and I can then use it with a future Garmin watch, I was planning on upgrading to a multi-sport watch anyways. so I can omit the headunit unless I can get a chap ANT used one, other than that I can wait until the watch upgrade, I would assume the wife has caught a few hints . Now I need to see what I can get a trainer for, I have found mag’s in the 40-100$ range and seen a few Fluid for the 100+ range. I figure $20 for a dongle, and 30 for the sensor, so it is just wait for the right deals.
2014-08-04 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
3 essentials for indoor:

1. Trainer of your choice
2. Sign up Trainer Road
3. The Sufferfest training videos

And a speed/cadence sensor which is ANT+ compatible.

So 4 things.

Edited by Mike_D 2014-08-04 12:55 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor trainer where to start? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

indoor cycling trainer

Started by srkr13
Views: 1283 Posts: 10

2006-07-11 10:07 PM MForger18

Rolling Resistance and Indoor Trainers

Started by qbtri
Views: 1088 Posts: 6

2006-01-20 10:35 AM Daremo

Bored on my indoor trainer

Started by crazylegs
Views: 1398 Posts: 22

2005-05-09 1:33 PM clflgrl

How do indoor swim starts work?

Started by Ozmokis
Views: 985 Posts: 9

2005-02-09 1:42 PM gypsykorea

Indoor bike trainer around $300+/- any suggestions?

Started by sp1173
Views: 912 Posts: 8

2004-10-11 9:49 AM sp1173
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 25, 2012
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
This article will discuss the differences between TrainerRoad and PowerTap's power numbers and how to best use each of them.

date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.
date : November 5, 2010
author : FitWerx
Do you struggle to hold your power output indoors versus outdoors? The keys to this problem are due to lack of cooling and the flywheel effect.

date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.