Vineman, Inc.
91F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 22m 15s
Overall Rank = 139/596
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 24/74
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4am, had two bottles of EAS Protein Shake a banana and a bagel. Also drank some Gatorade. Got bike ready and was at T1 at 5:30. Got T1 ready and took some pictures with Jolynne at Johnson's Beach.
Event warmup:

I jogged a little bit, walked around, shook my arms and did breathing exercises. I had no in-water warm-up.
Swim
  • 1h 32m 18s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am usually a 1:30 swimmer for 2.4 miles but I think the shallow water at the turnaround slowed me down because I had to walk and I also think the course may have been a bit long. Otherwise the swim was very nice. The water temperature was perfect and the whole experience was refreshing. It definitely was slower swimming upstream than downstream even though the current was very, very slow.
What would you do differently?:

I need to trust myself and engage in faster turnover in my stroke. I think I can probably comfortably bet around 1:25 by simply increasing my turnover as I do in training. I just need to have more confidence in my ability not to exhaust myself with faster turnover.
Transition 1
  • 08m 29s
Comments:

My heels, once again would not come off my wetsuit when the wetsuit stripper was trying to pull it off. I smothered my heels and the wetsuit in Body Glide but it made little difference. I also had a horrible time putting on my tri-top. It was bunching up and I couldn't get it over my wet shoulders.

Get that spray on "Body Glide" for the suit and see if that helps. Practice putting on the tri-top.
Bike
  • 6h 25m 37s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.43 mile/hr
Comments:

Very fun bike course but you need to be careful because areas of the road are very rough. I lost a bottle of Infinit and everybody was losing all sorts of stuff all over the course. I controlled my pace through heart rate (tried to keep it between 130-140 throughout the entire course. I had an awesome ride and only felt tired over the last 30 miles but heat had a lot to do with that. I felt good coming off the bike. Soooo much better than my IM last year.

Find a better way to secure my bottles. Train MORE on the bike. This is where the big gains are had.
Transition 2
  • 09m 22s
Comments:

The distance to transition is HUGE. Little can be done about that. Where I totally failed was in strategically placing my run gear at T2. I could not find my run gear and I wasted about two minutes just trying to find my stupid run gear.

Place my run gear in a spot that is crystal clear to find.
Run
  • 5h 06m 29s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

The heat was brutal (well into the 90's). I walked the first quarter mile and jogged the flats and walked the hills. This was the only way for me to keep moving forward. I did a good job at drinking my Infinit and staying hydrated. Volunteers poured ice down my singlet and that was a lifesaver. I also pored water over my head at every aid station and drank Coke at every other aid station. i also had three salt tablets throughout the course. Nutrition-wise I was fine but my feet started blistering because they were soaked and my quads were killing me because I couldn't dedicate that much time to strength training. I did not use GPS and went strictly by heart rate and perceived exertion. I was able to really push for the last 4.35 miles by using this method. This allowed me to keep moving. My goal was 5 hours and I ended up with 5:06, so I felt pretty good about the time.

Train more on the bike to be able to have more for the run. Dedicate more time for strength training. Overall I am happy with my effort.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and had some water and chicken noodle soup. I also had some fruit. I was upset that they had no protein recovery drink. Last thing I wanted was more freaking water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Slow transitions. Heat on the course. Too much conservatism on the swim. Not enough training on the bike.

Event comments:

Vineman is an incredible race. The organization was superb and the volunteers were great. The course is hard but not ridiculously so. It makes me mad that it was so unusually hot because i think that under normal conditions I could have achieved a sub 13 performance. However no race has all go perfectly so I will take my result gladly. I would love to do this race agin and i would recommend it to anyone. I improved my time from my first IM last year by 1 hour 28 minutes. I did 14:50 last year and 13:22 at Vineman. My marathon time was 5:50 last year and 5:06 this year. My bike was 7:08 and this year it was 6:25. So, overall, Vineman for me was a big success.

Last updated: 2014-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:32:18 | 4224 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/74
Overall: 0/596
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course: Russian River, 2 loops.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 08:29
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:25:37 | 112 miles | 17.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 31/74
Overall: 171/596
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: VERY rolling with one big but short hill (Chalk Hill). Parts of the road were very poor with areas that will kill your bike if you don't avoid them.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 09:22
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
05:06:29 | 26.2 miles | 11m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/74
Overall: 121/596
Performance: Good
Course: HILLS. 3 lap course, 4.35 miles long for each length with 8.7 miles for each loop.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %6
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-07-30 1:13 AM

User image

Subject: Full Vineman Triathlon

2014-07-30 3:53 PM
in reply to: #5032412

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Full Vineman Triathlon

Wow what a great race for you! Awesome improvements, especially in the crazy heat!

2014-08-02 1:40 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Originally posted by lisac957

Wow what a great race for you! Awesome improvements, especially in the crazy heat!

Thank Lisa. I really enjoyed following you and Brian last year. It definitely helped me get prepared this year.
2014-08-03 8:17 PM
in reply to: Lock_N_Load

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Way to go Jose! That was a great result in the conditions you got hit with. Congrats on the massive PR as well!! I know you have the sub-13 in you and would have had it this race if the temp had been a bit more moderate. I think there's a good chance I may do this one again next year to try and redeem myself on the run course - come on back and we can be discount-buddies again!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Full Vineman Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Full Vineman Triathlon

Started by popsracer
Views: 2661 Posts: 8

2011-08-09 4:17 PM cbrave

Full Vineman Triathlon

Started by Baowolf
Views: 3243 Posts: 10

2011-08-28 10:14 AM enginerd

Full Vineman Triathlon

Started by wavedog
Views: 3089 Posts: 12

2011-08-08 10:05 PM MissKelly

Full Vineman Triathlon

Started by triOK
Views: 3434 Posts: 12

2011-08-07 12:38 AM ecpasos

Full Vineman Triathlon

Started by WillP
Views: 2533 Posts: 8

2011-08-07 10:46 AM jngai94
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.

date : November 20, 2007
comments : 0
Executing this full Ironman plan for 17 weeks would give people with one Ironman under their belts very good preparation for a 2nd and 3rd. Preferably, you should have a 6:30 or faster HIM time.
date : August 7, 2007
author : AMSSM
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : October 26, 2005
This Intermediate 20 week plan is a quick ramp up in overall volume, but with 20 weeks to train only, it is a gradual and safe approach because of the alternating weeks of the long run/bike.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.

date : September 26, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Pain shows us how strong we are. After last weekend I am convinced of this. After 151 training hours of swimming, biking, and running, I flew to Sonoma County, California for the race.