General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS sighting tip Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-30 7:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: OWS sighting tip
A little background, I have historically been a MOP swimmer, who after some solid pool work over the last year dropped my pool swim times down significantly. However, I was having trouble in races holding everything together, and I couldn't figure out why. I have been swimming *way* off course, getting pissed off and then "correcting" for it on the fly, assuming there was something wrong with my stroke causing an imbalance that was pulling me to one side.

After some therapeutic swims in the ocean a few times during the week, I've come to realize that it doesn't mean I don't swim straight. It was driving me nuts that I swam perfectly straight in a pool but could lose a line in open water, and if I went off line I would first steer back to the line and then second try to figure out what in my form pulled me offline in the first place. The second part was a disaster, of course, because I would be swimming thinking I was imbalanced, and therefore swimming wrong, and trying to make improper corrections on the fly. What I've come to understand is that in reality, my stroke was fine...in oceans a single wave can turn you off course, even though you are still swimming "straight". In fresh water and in oceans, it's very easy to zig zag between sightings, even a small misjudgement of course can pull you off course after 6 strokes. So on faith, I stick to my stroke now and sight more often.

I also figure out it's important to steer with your head as opposed to your arms (meaning when you sight, don't point your hand at the target, point your head at the target). Since the arms extend straight out from the shoulder, if I "point" at the target with my right hand I'll swim left, and vice versa with my left hand. The target should really be in between your hands obviously.

I continue to find it fascinating how much there is to learn in this sport. If I had a coach I would (probably) learn all this stuff a heck of a lot quicker, but I really enjoy the journey personally and like figuring it out for myself.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS sighting tip Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim straight in open water...sighting & breathing technique tips

Started by AdventureBear
Views: 920 Posts: 12

2012-06-19 12:03 PM AdventureBear

ows sighting-techniques/training etc

Started by prieto539
Views: 967 Posts: 8

2008-09-23 12:28 PM lisac957

"Sighting" While OWS Swimming

Started by hagakure
Views: 1031 Posts: 9

2008-05-01 1:41 PM dalessit

Training tips with Boston in sight!

Started by rstocks3
Views: 522 Posts: 1

2008-02-29 5:45 PM rstocks3

How to sight during OWS?

Started by BbMoozer
Views: 1158 Posts: 8

2007-08-03 9:39 PM BbMoozer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 0
Some are getting a little OWS practice in, others are strategizing, the rest are just plain scared.