General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Smells from cars Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2014-07-30 8:44 AM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: Smells from cars
This morning's run, I got the usual. Cigarettes, diesel exhaust, and then I almost gagged on someone's cologne. I really feel bad for the person who works in the cubicle, office, building or town next to this guy.

Cologne serving size = One spritz or dab. Thank you.

2014-07-30 8:49 AM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Subject: RE: Smells from cars
Not only from cars. A few weeks ago I found that people wearing cologne during group rides is a bad to very bad thing. I was behind this guy with a "bathing in aftershave" as a hobby.

2014-07-30 8:50 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by DanielG Not only from cars. A few weeks ago I found that people wearing cologne during group rides is a bad to very bad thing. I was behind this guy with a "bathing in aftershave" as a hobby.

And it is even worse if that person that took a bath in cologne also happens to be in your pool leaving an oil slick for you to swim through.  

2014-07-30 9:23 AM
in reply to: pga_mike

I think I'd prefer awful smells over the not-so-awful ones.

One of my regular running routes is a triple whammy. No matter which way the wind is blowing or whether I'm going "clockwise" or "counter-clockwise"....I get whalloped with:

1. the glorious smells from my second favorite pizza place of all time (And I'm not playing around here. I have extremely high standards. My top fav is in Ames, IA. #3 is Boulder, CO, I just happen to live within running distance of the second greatest pizza on the planet. I'm even tougher on BBQ joints)
2. Then I turn the corner and hit a corner restaurant sportspub. Not my favorite place as their apps are rather unimaginative and I think a lot is brought in frozen. But they seem to grill a lot of burgers using fresh ground beef and it smells oh so ever good.
3. Then...just down the sidewalk....one of my favorite restaurants in town. It's an underrated bistro-y type place with an ever-cycling menu that will range from high-end comfort to Hawaiian style fishmarket to lamb specialities. They do leave a few constants on the menu. Bacon wrapped meatloaf (should be my fav, but I think it's kinda meh) to a delicious pork belly served on brioche with a 1 hour sous-vied egg on top. Perfect texture for me. I don't like runny. This is more like "gel-ly"...but I digress. Who knows what kind of delicious smell will be wafting at me from their kitchens.

It's one after the other over the course of maybe a third of a mile. For a former fat guy, it's brutal some days. Almost mean.
2014-07-30 10:06 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Hog farms and fields just sprayed with ammonia anhydrous. The latter is NASTY and burns and I thought I might actually die.
2014-07-30 10:08 AM

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by jhaack39

I think I'd prefer awful smells over the not-so-awful ones.

One of my regular running routes is a triple whammy. No matter which way the wind is blowing or whether I'm going "clockwise" or "counter-clockwise"....I get whalloped with:

1. the glorious smells from my second favorite pizza place of all time (And I'm not playing around here. I have extremely high standards. My top fav is in Ames, IA. #3 is Boulder, CO, I just happen to live within running distance of the second greatest pizza on the planet. I'm even tougher on BBQ joints)

Great Plains Pizza, No? Legendary.

My morning commute takes me by a Sara Lee factory where they make bread. That's just cruel. That would be a good time to have "after shave guy" ride by to kill the smell.

2014-07-30 10:15 AM
in reply to: pwoolson

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I am glad they closed the cereal plant on my old route - it always smelled like cocoa pebbles, which I haven't eaten since I was 10 and really miss.

There also used to be a coffee manufacturer on the route - also closed.  I loved that...

The "worst" is the favorite pizza joint, just a mile from my house.   Getting that smell on the way home, after a long ride, has caused many a detour.

2014-07-30 10:24 AM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
I run by fast food joints and get a little green. I also run by a few homes that I am sure Cheech and Chong are hanging at, yes I know what they are doing
2014-07-30 12:10 PM

Originally posted by pwoolson

Great Plains Pizza, No? Legendary.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

I've never lived in Ames. I've never lived closer than Des Moines....just about an hour from door to door. It's also not on the way to and from the in-laws. And yet, I've somehow managed to consume gobs of it. I will drive for it. I'm gonna do the Hy-Vee Triathlon in Des Moines next month and am seriously considering asking my wife to roll up there with the kids and bring some back instead of bouncing around the course cheering me on.

The place in St. Louis is JJ Twigs. I think they have one in MO'Fallon as opposed to ILL'Fallon and down at Lake of the Ozarks. The original is in Chicago.They have what they call a 'double decker' that's as close to Great Plains as I've found yet. I recommended they put honey on the tables for the crustal desert. They did. People figured it out right away.

GPSD defies the laws of physics with their whole wheat Denver style. It's not thick crust (at least not on the bottom part, just around the edge, but that's desert)....and yet....it can hold 4 lbs. of cheese per slice without drooping and wilting. It's firm, but not crunchy. It's soft, but not droopy. It's simply the best.
2014-07-30 12:48 PM

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
I'll be headed over there for the race as well. We might just have to make the trip to GPP. My dad lives in Indianola so that would make a much longer drive but maybe straight from the race. Hmmmmm....

I'm gonna do the Hy-Vee Triathlon in Des Moines next month and am seriously considering asking my wife to roll up there with the kids and bring some back instead of bouncing around the course cheering me on.
2014-07-30 12:54 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Yeah, a popular running route around here has/had a sewage treatment plant and cookie factory nearby so depending on the way the wind was blowing it could be so delightful or really not.  But then they closed the cookie factory   So, now there's just sewage if the wind is in the wrong direction

2014-07-30 12:57 PM

I'll be headed over there for the race as well. We might just have to make the trip to GPP. My dad lives in Indianola so that would make a much longer drive but maybe straight from the race. Hmmmmm....

Have you done the Hy-Vee? I see on the website that they have a time for the bike check-in at Gray's Lake. Do you HAVE to check your bike in? Or is that only if you want to? Or just for the real competitors? Or can I show up on race day with my bike. I know I have to get a packet and sit through their pre-race session the day before. We're coming up that day and I want to make sure I leave enough time if I need to hoof my bike down to the lake.

Indianola....
Lived there for a couple years. Great town. Home of a personal hero of mine....one of the first people to successfully ride their bike across Iowa on what later became known as RAGBRAI

From their website:

RAGBRAI says
Among the many interesting people the ride attracted was Clarence Pickard of Indianola. This 83-year-old gentleman, who hadn’t ridden a bicycle much in recent years, showed up for that first ride with a used ladies Schwinn and rode all the way to Davenport, including the 100 degree plus day from Des Moines to Williamsburg, a 110-mile trek. Pickard’s attire for the ride was a long-sleeved shirt, trousers, woolen long underwear and a silver pith helmet.

They had his original bike on display when RAGBRAI rolled through Indianola for the first time ever about 15 years ago.
2014-07-30 1:40 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Detroit, Michigan
Originally posted by juniperjen

Yeah, a popular running route around here has/had a sewage treatment plant and cookie factory nearby so depending on the way the wind was blowing it could be so delightful or really not.  But then they closed the cookie factory   So, now there's just sewage if the wind is in the wrong direction

Same where I live -- depending on the wind I can either smell the whiskey distillery, which smells just like fresh baking bread, or the garbage incinerator.

The hardest smell is the barbecues at the parks in which I like to run and ride. After a few hours it's all I can do to NOT knock over a little kid and steal his burger. =)
2014-07-30 1:44 PM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
One time at the pool a guy brought his cologne with him on to the deck. No clue at all why he did this. Of course he dropped it, glass everywhere, and the smell was unbearable. It was at one end and every time I got down there I'd nearly gag for that breath it was so strong with the heat and humid air.
2014-07-30 1:46 PM

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin

Have you done the Hy-Vee? I see on the website that they have a time for the bike check-in at Gray's Lake. Do you HAVE to check your bike in? Or is that only if you want to? Or just for the real competitors? Or can I show up on race day with my bike. I know I have to get a packet and sit through their pre-race session the day before. We're coming up that day and I want to make sure I leave enough time if I need to hoof my bike down to the lake.

I have done it before. I enjoyed the race very much. It used to be a point to point run that finished at the state capitol which was really nice. Now it's two different out and backs at Grey's Lake. Still nice though. Very well run.
And yes, you need to check bikes the night before. In hindsight, it's actually kind of nice because it's one less thing to worry about on race day.
2014-07-30 1:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
"I am glad they closed the cereal plant on my old route - it always smelled like cocoa pebbles, which I haven't eaten since I was 10 and really miss.

There also used to be a coffee manufacturer on the route - also closed. I loved that...

The "worst" is the favorite pizza joint, just a mile from my house. Getting that smell on the way home, after a long ride, has caused many a detour."

I know that route, and also miss the coffee smell. Waaaaay back in the day, Skippy had a plant in the same area and the whole neighborhood smelled like peanut butter.

Edited by Farlig 2014-07-30 1:56 PM

2014-07-30 2:08 PM
in reply to: Farlig

User image

Denver, CO

There's a dog food plant a few miles to the northwest of my house.  If the wind is right - UGH!  There's also a bakery for a grocery chain directly north, and we sometimes get that too.  Fortunately, both are a few miles away so I don't get either of them too often. 

One thing I really dislike, though, is old cars/trucks that used to run on leaded gas.  For some reason, that smell just makes me gag.  Diesel fumes suck too.  The sprinklers on the golf course I often run by use untreated water so it smells like ditch water - not so yummy.  On the other hand, if I brave the mosquitoes and run by wetlands, there's this lovely spicy scent that I absolutely love.

2014-07-30 2:38 PM

I have done it before. I enjoyed the race very much. It used to be a point to point run that finished at the state capitol which was really nice. Now it's two different out and backs at Grey's Lake. Still nice though. Very well run.
And yes, you need to check bikes the night before. In hindsight, it's actually kind of nice because it's one less thing to worry about on race day.

So....a few more brain pickers.

Do you take your bike pump along in the morning then? I would imagine it's something I'd want to do. Usually when I don't have to leave it, I hit mine when I get it off the car and then leave the floor pump behind. (It won't fit in my glorious bucket...HAH!)

Do they cover them? I've not had to leave my bike for a race. Not that some rain would terribly mess me or my bike up, but a deluge could change what I might put in my bucket or in my little seat post bag.

I've already studied the maps. The bike course I'm down with. I know there's a bit of uphill on the way out with a high point over there just south of what used to be the big RR Donnelly facility. All places I drove. The run is through a part of town that didn't really redevelop until after I'd moved away. It looks like there might be some tiny ups and downs, but nothing major. At least that's what I'm hoping.
2014-07-30 3:06 PM

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin

So....a few more brain pickers.

Do you take your bike pump along in the morning then? I would imagine it's something I'd want to do. Usually when I don't have to leave it, I hit mine when I get it off the car and then leave the floor pump behind. (It won't fit in my glorious bucket...HAH!)

Do they cover them? I've not had to leave my bike for a race. Not that some rain would terribly mess me or my bike up, but a deluge could change what I might put in my bucket or in my little seat post bag.

I've already studied the maps. The bike course I'm down with. I know there's a bit of uphill on the way out with a high point over there just south of what used to be the big RR Donnelly facility. All places I drove. The run is through a part of town that didn't really redevelop until after I'd moved away. It looks like there might be some tiny ups and downs, but nothing major. At least that's what I'm hoping.

I do pack a pump. you could either leave it the night before or pack it in that morning.
No they don't cover things. I put a sandwich bag over my computer and didn't worry about anything else. My butt is going to soak the saddle after the swim anyway so it didn't so much matter if that got wet. I have seen people that tarp the whole thing. Needless in my opinion.
I think the run hills will indeed be tiny. That whole area is pretty flat and it looks like one 2 mile out/back and another 1 mile out/back in the other direction. Probably not enough to get out of the valley much.
The bike did a bit of climbing (I don't remember if it is the same course or not) but also did LOTS of turning. To the point that riding aero really wasn't very practical for much of the time.
2014-07-30 5:44 PM

We have mountains of decaying sea weed along our sea wall. I have not run that rout all year.
2014-07-30 7:02 PM
in reply to: isurf

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

There's a house along one of my running routes, and no matter what, every single time I run by I get pummeled by an invisible cloud of moth ball smell. The house is at least a good 50 feet from the street. Do they have a room that is filled with moth balls like the ball pit at McDonalds???

2014-07-30 7:34 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Regular
Good - fresh cut hay, this morning I could smell the apples on a small orchard
Bad - road killed deer in front of my house, skunks

All the resturants and the refinery are 9-10 miles away and I'm not up to that distance...yet.
2014-07-30 10:24 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Champion

Originally posted by crowny2

And it is even worse if that person that took a bath in cologne also happens to be in your pool leaving an oil slick for you to swim through.  

This is the worst.  I get that at my pool about once every month.  It takes me all day to get that taste out of my mouth.  They have that vitaminC stuff to get the chlorine off of your skin, but what about cologne out of you mouth?

2014-07-30 11:57 PM
in reply to: Miles around Midtown

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by Miles around Midtown

Originally posted by juniperjen

Same where I live -- depending on the wind I can either smell the whiskey distillery, which smells just like fresh baking bread, or the garbage incinerator.

The hardest smell is the barbecues at the parks in which I like to run and ride. After a few hours it's all I can do to NOT knock over a little kid and steal his burger. =)

Yes, BBQ! I'm not a big meat eater but there is nothing like that smell. I feel like I'm getting programmed to eat a burger or ribs after a long ride.
2014-07-31 2:30 PM
in reply to: chayes

We have a chemical plant that I don't ususally ride too close to but sometimes you can smell it from miles away if the wind is right.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Smells from cars Rss Feed  

of 1