BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-10-27 8:04 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

No ride yesterday. After testing out my foot in bike shoes for a bit on trainer, it wasn't bad. But another 30min in shoes...really sore. Opted out of riding and used sitter for a date night. Watching the Giants win while enjoying Irish coffee and an ice cream cookie sundae was a good end to the day.

Foot hasn't gotten better, and I'm going a little insane after four days of nearly no real activity. Took the kids for a short ride around the neighborhood today, but worried that a quick dismount could be painful. I was right. Decided doc is a smart thing to do, so J taking me in for x-rays in the morning.

Ouch!  What did your dog do to get kicked that hard?  Dr. is definitely in order!

2014-10-27 8:50 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
oh yeah TJ, MDot for sure!!

Erin - get that foot checked out!! YIKES!

So how'd our racers do?

ME? I went to fitwerx again and walked out with a Dash. I wish I had sat on it and went "OH YEAH this is the one" but I didn't. I did sit on it and say "this one hurts less than all the others" so I guess that's something. It was far too windy yesterday to get a real ride on it so I'm hoping to sneak out one day this week. Stupid daylight savings time......

Happy Monday all - back to work.

Oh and my lack of logging activity (for those of you who have noticed) is just because I've been playing with Training Peaks and haven't been double logging. The one thing I like about TP is I can export to excel and take the data with me. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that with the BT logs - is there a way? THANKS!
2014-10-27 9:13 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pennsylvania

Hoping the Dash cures your saddle woes.  I guess TP/BT don't talk to each other?  It would be nice if they did so you wouldn't have to double log.

2014-10-27 9:26 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Erin, let us know what the doctor says. That foot looks ouchy!

Matt, we want to hear about your race!

Tom, when do you get your MRI results?

Randee, I hope that you found The One.

I don't think Jonathan TN did B2B. I didn't see him in the results. I hope that he's ding well.

Speaking of doing well, I hope that Stacey, Monica and TJ are all improving and that Yanti and Co. are on the mend as well!

2014-10-27 12:03 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by laffinrock

No ride yesterday. After testing out my foot in bike shoes for a bit on trainer, it wasn't bad. But another 30min in shoes...really sore. Opted out of riding and used sitter for a date night. Watching the Giants win while enjoying Irish coffee and an ice cream cookie sundae was a good end to the day.

Foot hasn't gotten better, and I'm going a little insane after four days of nearly no real activity. Took the kids for a short ride around the neighborhood today, but worried that a quick dismount could be painful. I was right. Decided doc is a smart thing to do, so J taking me in for x-rays in the morning.

Good call on the date night and the planned trip to the doctor, Erin.  Bummer that you can't ride, though.  If it's something they have to cast or put you in a boot for, see if they can't arrange to attach a cleat somehow.

HA! I had a dream about that last night. Riding the trainer wearing a cast with a makeshift fastener I had screwed to the bottom .

I'm wondering how wide open a Keen Commuter sandal will go.

Ha! You guys are killin' me. Just please be sure to wear socks with those sandals Erin

On a serious note, I hope you heal up quickly!

2014-10-27 12:12 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

I'm here. Still sore and not doing any training But improving some each day. I was going to start the core stuff this morning but thought better of it when I woke with a stiff, sore neck. Randee and Melanie, TP will talk to BT. It is one of the download options in the logging screen. That's how I was getting my Garmin stuff in to BT before BT learned to talk to Garmin.

2014-10-27 12:12 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
I'm waiting for xray results. I have my North Face hiking sandals and my "I'm Awesome" (thanks MIL) socks all ready to go in case of casting. :P
2014-10-27 12:20 PM

User image

Seattle

I opted to run a fun 5K on Saturday in lieu of practice. It was local and costumes were encouraged. Sometimes racing with a competitive team can be so serious, so I needed a little fun infusion. It was great, my first trail 5K and also my first time running in khaki shorts!

I dressed as Dr. Ellie Sattler (Laura Dern in Jurassic Park)

Then I headed to the mountains to get a little strength workout, running on the PCT up over the ridge of the ski resort. 

2014-10-27 1:44 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I opted to run a fun 5K on Saturday in lieu of practice. It was local and costumes were encouraged. Sometimes racing with a competitive team can be so serious, so I needed a little fun infusion. It was great, my first trail 5K and also my first time running in khaki shorts!

Then I headed to the mountains to get a little strength workout, running on the PCT up over the ridge of the ski resort. 

So COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

2014-10-27 1:52 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Did you all see the article about the new tri facility?

2014-10-27 1:58 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

It's a good costume, but it's no Blanche Devereaux.   Glad you had some fun!  Nice sneakers, I think I have a pair just like 'em!

Edited by melbo55 2014-10-27 2:01 PM

2014-10-27 2:05 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by melbo55

It's a good costume, but it's no Blanche Devereaux.   Glad you had some fun!  Nice sneakers, I think I have a pair just like 'em!

Ahhh, yeah, true. Running with triple F's is a real buzzkill though

The Pure Projects? Yeah funny, I was THIS close to running in my hiking boots for full effect but I thought I may actually hurt myself doing that. 

2014-10-27 3:16 PM

User image

Seattle

K here is my race report

I'm behind on my other reports but I figure I may as well move forward rather than try and catch up because I am afraid I may never do it

2014-10-27 6:53 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by jmkizer

Erin, let us know what the doctor says. That foot looks ouchy!

Matt, we want to hear about your race!

Tom, when do you get your MRI results?

Randee, I hope that you found The One.

I don't think Jonathan TN did B2B. I didn't see him in the results. I hope that he's ding well.

Speaking of doing well, I hope that Stacey, Monica and TJ are all improving and that Yanti and Co. are on the mend as well!

I go see the ortho this Wednesday morning to find out the MRI results.  I think they're only going to give me two options: PT or surgery.  Hopefully PT will take care of things.  I'd really like to be able to work with a personal trainer, or a PT person who would understand what I'm trying to do with s/b/r and help me to really nail down the lower-body fitness so that it's not a problem this next year.

2014-10-28 7:13 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Hello everyone, I hope today finds you doing well. 

Tom- Get it figured out, take the time needed and come back stronger than before. Good Luck with the results.

Salty - Great job on the race. I imagine you're healing up????

Janyne- I have the same expectation that you are moving forward with your shoulder. Sling wearing is nearly done!!!!

Yanti- I hope that all is as well as can be on a trip like yours. The pics of Mutti were pretty cool, thanks for sharing them.

Erin- Get that foot of yours feeling better!

Hands- What's up with the groin? I hope you are feeling a bit better today as well. Are you on for Rev3 Venice at all or is that off the table? 

Ben- You have been a running animal lately, great work on that side of things!

Randee- Have you ridden the Dash yet? I'm looking forward to hearing more about it when you do.

JonaTN- I hope all is well with you. How crazy has it been getting back over here and trying to get settled in?

TJ- When will you be doing a 140.6? It seems natural at this point, at least all the signs seem to be saying so.

Mary- How have you been feeling? Are you ready to get back out and run a bit?

Melanie- How has the hockey season been treating you?

Stacey- How is everything going with you? Is the weather starting to warm a bit over there yet?

Monica- How was the zombie apocolypse?

I know I missed a few of y'all, please take no offense. I have some odd hours the next few days at work and may be challenged to drop in, but I am always following through the email and such. Keep on healing, running, traveling, swimming, biking, hockeying, zombieing, and whatever else goes on!!!!

2014-10-28 7:19 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by cdban66

Hello everyone, I hope today finds you doing well. 

Tom- Get it figured out, take the time needed and come back stronger than before. Good Luck with the results.

Salty - Great job on the race. I imagine you're healing up????

Janyne- I have the same expectation that you are moving forward with your shoulder. Sling wearing is nearly done!!!!

Yanti- I hope that all is as well as can be on a trip like yours. The pics of Mutti were pretty cool, thanks for sharing them.

Erin- Get that foot of yours feeling better!

Hands- What's up with the groin? I hope you are feeling a bit better today as well. Are you on for Rev3 Venice at all or is that off the table? 

Ben- You have been a running animal lately, great work on that side of things!

Randee- Have you ridden the Dash yet? I'm looking forward to hearing more about it when you do.

JonaTN- I hope all is well with you. How crazy has it been getting back over here and trying to get settled in?

TJ- When will you be doing a 140.6? It seems natural at this point, at least all the signs seem to be saying so.

Mary- How have you been feeling? Are you ready to get back out and run a bit?

Melanie- How has the hockey season been treating you?

Stacey- How is everything going with you? Is the weather starting to warm a bit over there yet?

Monica- How was the zombie apocolypse?

I know I missed a few of y'all, please take no offense. I have some odd hours the next few days at work and may be challenged to drop in, but I am always following through the email and such. Keep on healing, running, traveling, swimming, biking, hockeying, zombieing, and whatever else goes on!!!!

Wow, nice recap!! I second all thoughts

my tri season ended with the shoulder tear, so no REV3 for me I guess I'll have to get you bet beer another time!

2014-10-28 8:03 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by amd723

my tri season ended with the shoulder tear, so no REV3 for me I guess I'll have to get you bet beer another time!

I figured so, given the groin, the shoulder and the desire to heal that is obviously utmost in your mind. Since you've always been so careful with that sort of injury thing in the past...

2014-10-28 8:06 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I figured so, given the groin, the shoulder and the desire to heal that is obviously utmost in your mind. Since you've always been so careful with that sort of injury thing in the past...

hahaah.  I sense sarcasm in this post 

2014-10-28 8:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

hahaah.  I sense sarcasm in this post 

I didn't even use sarc font for that!

Edited by cdban66 2014-10-28 8:40 AM
2014-10-28 9:08 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hockey season is going great, Chris, thanks for asking!  We are 1-0-2 (the league doesn't resolve ties in the regular season as time doesn't allow due to fixed ice slots).  We got a nice injection of youth to help balance out some of us older players, but in all truthfullness, the whole team has been playing very solidly.  Our team was forced to move up a division, which at first had me a bit concerned, but we've been handling it quite solidly and have been on par with the other teams we've played so far, and it's been really enjoyable.  Personally, I enjoy the challenge of being moved up, and play tends to be a bit more predictable, if you will, with more skilled teams.

In other news, I guess I will officially spill the beans - I've enlisted a coach to help me get ready for Syracuse 70.3 in 2015.  His official services won't begin until January 2015 (my decision), but he gave me a loose set of instructions to follow to work on a base during Nov/Dec. I'm really excited.  We were able to work out a plan that isn't too much $$ for me, which means a bit less frequent contact/feedback (again, my idea to help keep costs down) but if I feel it isn't enough, we can alter the plan as we go.  He will give me workouts on an every other week schedule but I will still have the option of contacting him for alterations/whatever to the plan.

2014-10-28 10:07 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Hockey season is going great, Chris, thanks for asking!  We are 1-0-2 (the league doesn't resolve ties in the regular season as time doesn't allow due to fixed ice slots).  We got a nice injection of youth to help balance out some of us older players, but in all truthfullness, the whole team has been playing very solidly.  Our team was forced to move up a division, which at first had me a bit concerned, but we've been handling it quite solidly and have been on par with the other teams we've played so far, and it's been really enjoyable.  Personally, I enjoy the challenge of being moved up, and play tends to be a bit more predictable, if you will, with more skilled teams.

In other news, I guess I will officially spill the beans - I've enlisted a coach to help me get ready for Syracuse 70.3 in 2015.  His official services won't begin until January 2015 (my decision), but he gave me a loose set of instructions to follow to work on a base during Nov/Dec. I'm really excited.  We were able to work out a plan that isn't too much $$ for me, which means a bit less frequent contact/feedback (again, my idea to help keep costs down) but if I feel it isn't enough, we can alter the plan as we go.  He will give me workouts on an every other week schedule but I will still have the option of contacting him for alterations/whatever to the plan.

Awesome on the hockey front! Sounds like it's fun and challenging (and probably a nice change of pace these days).

I loved being coached for my HIM. It took the thinking out of the prep - I had enough to deal with just getting through it! And like you I wanted to keep the cost down so I went the same type of route you did. He answered questions and wrote my schedule and it was perfect for me. I hope it works for you too.

2014-10-28 10:59 AM

User image

Master

Swimming...in. Trainer....in. Biking....questionable. Running....ha!  CAC sprint...out.

I "knew" it, but having doc tell me made me sad. lol

Luckily, it is just my toe and not up into the foot. He gave me a shoe with a stiff bottom, said to be careful, tape and elevate...and come back for follow up xrays in about a month. A MONTH!

In other news, tonight will be rather tense at my house as the Giants win the WS in KC

2014-10-28 11:15 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Hi, gang. 

Salty, that costume is great!  Glad to see you're making a point to have some fun in amongst all the serious training and racing.

Tom, really hoping PT does the trick.  When you schedule your PT, see if you can get in at a facility that specializes in sports medicine and/or specifically ask for somebody who has experience working with athletes/triathletes.  You might not get that, but it can't hurt to ask.

Melanie, hockey=fun!!  Looks like your team is off to a great start.  Keep up the good work.

Erin, that dog sure is expensive.  Hope s/he is worth it!

All you injured people, keep healing up.  Injuries suck, but set-backs definitely suck worse.

Yanti, home again, home again, jiggity jig??

As for me, I'm on vacation in the mountains for the week.  It snowed yesterday but it's supposed to be sunny and in the 50's the rest of the week so I'm planning to spend LOTS of time outside enjoying myself.  Last Friday night, I got a major muscle spasm in my weak hip that kept me up all night.  I've been resting, stretching, and foam rollering since then and it seems to be getting better.  The place where I'm staying is at the top of a 2-mile hill so today I'm going to jog to the bottom and try doing some *gentle* hill intervals back up to the top.  Since I'm at ~10,000 ft., I'm going to take it really easy.  There are salt water hot pools where I'm staying and I have my ice pack so I can baby myself a bit afterwards.

As for the training club, I'm done.  Coach Joey canceled on Wednesday and told me to run 5 mi. and send him the time.  I sent him the times for my Tues. 4.5 mi. run as well as my Wed. 2.75 mi. run (cut short by GI issues), and I mentioned my concerns about not having gotten any training plan in over a month.  I didn't hear anything from him.  Then I texted him on Sat. to let him know I wasn't coming to practice because of my hip.  Still nothing.  I don't need to pay $40/mo. just to get a t-shirt and to run with other people.  It's too bad but now I know.  The other LRS has a couple of *free* run clubs that fit pretty well with my training plan so I think I'll check them out. 

Have a great week, everybody!

2014-10-28 11:32 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master

Gave me a giggle and reminded me of the Pod.

(IMG_19245510928394.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_19245510928394.jpg (42KB - 8 downloads)
2014-10-28 11:43 AM

User image

Seattle

Ahhhhh man, totally jealous of the hockey! The teams I tend to play for during tournaments and whatnot send me an e-mail every few weeks to invite me to play but it always seems to fall on a race weekend. I am thinking that after this marathon in Dec I am going to reserve the winter to be a little less structured to I can say yes on occasion. I love hockey so much. 

As for the coach, I think that is great!!! What do your loose plans in the meantime look like?

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42057 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37195 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72635 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50185 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25569 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.