BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-09-13 10:35 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Yanti,

I got dizzy reading all the travel stuff you have coming up.....then sick when I read of Tina's accident.  I hope she recovers okay!!

2014-09-13 11:27 AM
in reply to: jbwills

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jbwills My trip back to the states has begun. Left Jalalabad on the 11th, hopefully Bagram on the 14/15th, then Romania between the 19-21st. Looking forward to a change of scenery for runs and bike rides and actually getting some swimming in.

Yay!!  Welcome (almost) home!!!

2014-09-13 11:29 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

16 September          Kingsley arrives in Bali

18 September          K & I travel Bali to Lake Toba (the world's largest/deepest volcanic lake and yes, it's active) full day's travel, it's remote
20 September          Lake Toba 10K swim (it's at altitude ... brrrrr)
21 September          K & I travel Lake Toba back to Bali
22 September          Kingsley travels Bali back to Perth
23 September          I travel Bali to Jakarta
25 September          I travel Jakarta to Langkawi, Malaysia
27 September          Ironman Malaysia
29 September          I travel Langkawi back to Jakarta
03 October              Tina, Mutti & I travel to Germany

It's insane after that, too, but more on the order of every couple weeks instead of every couple days.

Oh yeah ... right after I got back from Perth (a couple days ago) I had to fly out to Jogja (where our shrimp farms are) to work. In order to fit in some training, my sister and I had planned to bike out to the shrimp farms Thursday morning. We got about 10min down the road when a motorcycle pulled into the road off a side road and took off down the street--THE WRONG WAY and right into my sister. She was ahead of me, which she is so grateful for because that means I didn't get splattered, and I'm feeling guilty I wasn't leading the way!

It was incredibly scary and spectacular. My sister flew over the motorbike, sailed several metres and landed in the middle of a street where traffic was going both ways (and frankly every which way, this is Indonesia). The bicycle did a couple flips in the air and landed away from my sister on the other side of the street.

The azz hole motorcyclist just kept going. But so many vehicles on the street, as well as bystanders from little shops and houses on the street stopped to help.

First thing, the bike will be okay :P

My sister will be okay, but she's got the kind of road rash where blood was already pouring onto the street before we could even peel her off it. Fortunately, it's just road rash, no deep jagged cuts. She made a superb and graceful landing onto her elbows (she was shielding her head, smart girl) and knees.

The real worry is her knee. She broke the left one not too long ago and now although the right one is not broken, there's a ton of soft tissue damage which is worse we're getting it MRI'ed here in Bali. It's extremely painful and just the wrong shape.

I think I'm traumatized and sore (obviously not as much as her) too. I'm used to hitting the pavement but watching it happen to my sister made me puke my heart.

I can't even imagine how tired I'd be with all that traveling - not to mention the whole IM thing.  In fact, I think I'm going to go take a nap now!!

Glad to hear your sister is OK -relatively speaking.  Stupid drivers.

2014-09-13 3:52 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by jbwills My trip back to the states has begun. Left Jalalabad on the 11th, hopefully Bagram on the 14/15th, then Romania between the 19-21st. Looking forward to a change of scenery for runs and bike rides and actually getting some swimming in.

HORRAY!!!  Looking forward to having you back safe and sound, Jonathan.

2014-09-13 3:55 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master

Jonathan and TJ, hope your races went well today! Have some excellent post-race beer, or food, or treats

2014-09-13 3:56 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Yanti, I'm so glad your sister wasn't hurt any worse than she was.  What a horrifying experience for both of you!!  Your schedule over the next couple weeks makes me tired just reading it.  At least you'll get to share the exhaustion with Kingsley.  You should make him carry the luggage to help balance out the load you carry for your family.   Glad you're still going to hit the Monkey Zone, even if you don't finish.  Just don't hit any monkeys, okay?  That would be bad.  ((((HUGS))))

2014-09-13 4:02 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by jbwills My trip back to the states has begun. Left Jalalabad on the 11th, hopefully Bagram on the 14/15th, then Romania between the 19-21st. Looking forward to a change of scenery weather for runs and bike rides and actually getting some swimming in.

Fantastic! But I did edit a bit for you based on my own desert doldrums right now 

2014-09-13 8:16 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
I have a confession, Yanti. I looked at the length of your last post...looked at the pages left in the book I was reading...looked at your post...and finished reading my book to get me warmed up awwww...you and the craziness that is your life. At least K will be with you for part of that insane schedule. So glad your sister is "ok", as in you know it could have been much worse so rash and messed up knee are "ok". Very scary for you both (and family), though. Seems our spate of car/cyclist collisions has reached around the world.
2014-09-14 1:57 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Denver, CO

New shoez!!  I call 'em my "condiments".  They look like ketchup, mustard, and mayo, and they make running feel better.  They look kind of ridiculous but they feel amazing.  Best thing was they were last year's model and I got 'em for a super price.

2014-09-14 2:10 PM
in reply to: #5049710

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Those are sa-weet! Nice score! What model are they
2014-09-14 2:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, CO

Bondi S2.  I only paid $119 and this year's model is $170!!  I might look around online and see if I can find some more.  I'd really like to have at least 1 more pair since I'll be doing a lot of running this winter and running in still-wet shoes sucks.

Edited by laffinrock 2014-09-14 2:39 PM

2014-09-15 3:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Day 1 of my 20 weeks Oly plan today. I was supposed to swim but had to be at work for a meeting before 8:30 and just knew I wouldn't make it if I did so I rode my bike instead.

I hope you all enjoyed your weekend and got to relax and recover from the ailments that seem to be plaguing us all of late. If you were racing I really hope that you had fun and DIDN'T HURT YOURSELF.

Enjoy you Monday morning at work. Mine sucked a bit, my 8:30 meeting which was scheduled to go for 2 hours ended up finishing just before 1:30pm, so you know only a little longer than expected.
2014-09-15 6:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I've been a bit absent lately, what with the quick overnight to Orlando and family responsibilities and such. However, I have been keeping up and thinking of ya'll.

Yanti - I hope your travels take you to fun places with wonderful people. I can't wait until October and the Germany trip. I hope Tina's knee is OK by then as well, so that everyone can have a blast.

Jonathan - It is good to see that you are nearly back on home turf. Thank you for your service!

TJ - Sorry if I cranked up a discussion that was more than you were ready for. I think Salty is right on target, A1 in this is figuring out what you want, then work from there. Kirsten has a great perspective on it, we are capable of more than we think.

Mary - Nice shoes. You may want to try the newspaper trick between runs to help reduce the wetness.

Stacey - Day one, time to kick it off!!! I hope your plan works for you and you can get to the end completely ready to rock!

Erin - How are all the teeth holding up in the house. I have to guess that Jason is due to lose a tooth or 2, since he seems to be the only one holding it together right now.

Tom - How is the knee holding up?

Janyne - I hope the shoulder is doing OK and you aren't going too crazy climbing the walls with your one good arm.

Racers - I hope all is well and you finished swiftly and happily.

Edited by cdban66 2014-09-15 6:38 AM
2014-09-15 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by laffinrock

New shoez!!  I call 'em my "condiments".  They look like ketchup, mustard, and mayo, and they make running feel better.  They look kind of ridiculous but they feel amazing.  Best thing was they were last year's model and I got 'em for a super price.

We believe in colorful shoes around here.

2014-09-15 8:07 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I don't know if you saw Yanti's fb, but she had a swimming accident, and busted up a bunch of teeth.  And then finished her swim set. #classicyanti

She, or someone else with fb, can provide more of the details.

2014-09-15 8:33 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by ponderingfox

I don't know if you saw Yanti's fb, but she had a swimming accident, and busted up a bunch of teeth.  And then finished her swim set. #classicyanti

Hey, Foxay yeah, this is how my day went.

Splishsplashhavin'abathin'
SMACK CRUNCH CRUMBLE
{Wet brain thinks a tooth is chipped, a couple fillings knocked loose}shrug, swish swish spit
Moresplishin'splashin'havin'bathin'
AquajogjogjogDAMNTHISISSTARTINGTOHURTLIKEFACHMIE!
Get out, vroomvroom home
Hobbit Maid: "WTF?!?!?!"
More vroomvroom
Dentist: "WTF?!?!?!" {also shows me the back of my front row of teeth--front looks bad but back is even worse, damage was done by my bottom teeth banging into the top ones}
Me: "WTF?!?!?!" worst pain of day upon seeing bill

7 teeth busted, 2 root canals, 7 crowns needed. (Longtime dentist, hates seeing me, doesn't do unnecessary work) but even in Indonesia that's a pretty penny.

The good news? The phone that was in my pocket when I got in the pool (swam in tri gear, bathers are all in Perth or Jakarta! Was that the universe calling ... DON'T SWIM), I rescued it. It still works. Kinda. I get to get a new phone! I had all the info backed up!

2014-09-15 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Monica - Embrace your new state! IMTX sounds great! Driving distance to Houson will save stress (and mobey), can preview the course if you like, etc.

Mary - Is there such a thing as a Manatee non sequitur? And shopping *is* great cardio (I hope). Love the new shoes! Also, though many here poo-poo it, think boot drier to get your work shoes dry

Erin - Non vaccine/blood donor type of needles plus hours on a prodedure due to race related injury = DL

Yanti - I'm sorry to hear about your sister's bike accident. Healing vibes heading her way. Your schedule sounds insane! I don't know how you can even keep track of it! I hope that you are doing OK yourself after the swim accident?!

Jonathan TN - Safe travels!

Ann-Marie - Pro tip, skirts that you can put on using only one arm/hand.

Stacey - Oly plan!!!! Sorry about the sucky work day though :-/

Chris - I have not tried one armed wall climbing but the gym does have a climbing wall...

I had my MRI on Saturday. My doctor's office will call and schedule a follow up when they receive the results (should receive them today).

2014-09-15 8:44 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

SMACK CRUNCH CRUMBLE
{Wet brain thinks a tooth is chipped, a couple fillings knocked loose}shrug, swish swish spit
Get out, vroomvroom home
More vroomvroom
Dentist: "WTF?!?!?!" {also shows me the back of my front row of teeth--front looks bad but back is even worse, damage was done by my bottom teeth banging into the top ones}

7 teeth busted, 2 root canals, 7 crowns needed. (Longtime dentist, hates seeing me, doesn't do unnecessary work) but even in Indonesia that's a pretty penny.

The good news? The phone that was in my pocket when I got in the pool (swam in tri gear, bathers are all in Perth or Jakarta! Was that the universe calling ... DON'T SWIM), I rescued it. It still works. Kinda. I get to get a new phone! I had all the info backed up!

Stop copying Erin!

Seriously,take care, feel better, heal up, try not to do anything stoopid.

2014-09-15 8:54 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jmkizer

SMACK CRUNCH CRUMBLE
Get out, vroomvroom home
More vroomvroom

Stop copying Erin!

Wow Yanti that is some serious damage! I've seen motorcycle accident victims come in for emergency care when I worked as a dental nurse with less damage than that.

With all the injuries that have been occurring in our pod lately I'm being to wonder if taking up boxing or cage fighting might be a safer option than triathlon.
2014-09-15 8:56 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Stop copying Erin!

I know that's in English but I have no idea what it means (clearly)

Schpanks

I wish I had a good story. Erin had a good story. I was jealous but really screwed up the execution. First it was my sister who crashed, not me, and now this ...

2014-09-15 8:59 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK

SMACK CRUNCH CRUMBLE
Get out, vroomvroom home
More vroomvroom

Stop copying Erin!

Wow Yanti that is some serious damage! I've seen motorcycle accident victims come in for emergency care when I worked as a dental nurse with less damage than that. With all the injuries that have been occurring in our pod lately I'm being to wonder if taking up boxing or cage fighting might be a safer option than triathlon.

We need to put an end to these injuries!!!

Smudge pot? Exorcism?

2014-09-15 9:00 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

SMACK CRUNCH CRUMBLE
Get out, vroomvroom home
More vroomvroom

Stop copying Erin!

Wow Yanti that is some serious damage! I've seen motorcycle accident victims come in for emergency care when I worked as a dental nurse with less damage than that. With all the injuries that have been occurring in our pod lately I'm being to wonder if taking up boxing or cage fighting might be a safer option than triathlon.

Smudge pot? Exorcism?

Bubble Wrap.

2014-09-15 9:01 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

SMACK CRUNCH CRUMBLE
Get out, vroomvroom home
More vroomvroom

Stop copying Erin!

It is!!! I used to be a sportfighter and triathlon is definitely more hazardous! (Someone on Slowtwitch actually said that to me and it's in my sig line there, that was after Japan )

Speaking of which, I didn't know you used to be a dental nurse. I assure you that takes more guts than sportfighting. I mean, that's some really gross stuff there!

It probably paid better too. But it is how I supported myself in college after my parents cut me off (rightfully so) for drinking too much (and studying not enough)

2014-09-15 9:07 AM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by cdban66

SMACK CRUNCH CRUMBLE
Get out, vroomvroom home
More vroomvroom

Stop copying Erin!

Smudge pot? Exorcism?

Bubble Wrap.

And duct tape.

2014-09-15 9:20 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by cdban66

SMACK CRUNCH CRUMBLE
Get out, vroomvroom home
More vroomvroom

Stop copying Erin!

Smudge pot? Exorcism?

Bubble Wrap.

And duct tape.

I was JUST GOING TO POST (swear, cross my eyes and hope to die ... okay, maybe not, weird shyte happens in my life) that would it surprise anyone to know I have industrial size rolls of bubble wrap and about 16 rolls of duct tape (in black, silver, red, AND reflective) at my house?

Clearly I'm not using it well, so, any Manatees want a safety care package? :P

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42111 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37237 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72651 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50228 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25580 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.