BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-09-15 9:25 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Wow, we've been a talky pod this Monday morning!!

Mary:  Nice shoes!! I loved my Hokas when I was wearing them 1.5-2 years ago.  They were the only shoe that let me run without pain while I was dealing with a case of capsilitis.  But then they went and changed them and they stopped fitting me the way I like  Now, I'm a big fan of Zoot running shoes.

Stacey: I hate meetings like that!!  On the plus side, you have finished day 1 of your Oly training plan.  Who cares if it called for a swim and you biked; you worked out, so yay!!

Chris:  How's Anne enjoying training?  

Yanti:  WTF???!!!  How does one do that much damage to one's teeth while swimming?? Did you swim into something?  Did someone smack you with a board on the back of the head??

Janyne:  How does your shoulder feel?  Thanks for the pro tip on skirts.  Now, do you have any tips for putting on shirts and blow drying hair??

On a completely random note, about 2 months ago I stopped getting email notifications of postings to the forum.  Don't know why.  Today, I got 1 notification.  Of course, there were about 10 posts, but at least I got one!!!  I guess BT is slowly forgiving me for whatever wrong I did to hurt its feelings!!   

2014-09-15 9:29 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Yanti, I'm trying to figure out how the heck you did so much damage to your teeth .  Did you run into the pool wall or were you pretending to be a great white and chomped on a kayak?

2014-09-15 9:32 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Mary:  Nice shoes!! I loved my Hokas when I was wearing them 1.5-2 years ago.  They were the only shoe that let me run without pain while I was dealing with a case of capsilitis.  But then they went and changed them and they stopped fitting me the way I like  Now, I'm a big fan of Zoot running shoes.

Stacey: I hate meetings like that!!  On the plus side, you have finished day 1 of your Oly training plan.  Who cares if it called for a swim and you biked; you worked out, so yay!!

Yanti:  WTF???!!!  How does one do that much damage to one's teeth while swimming?? Did you swim into something?  Did someone smack you with a board on the back of the head??

Janyne:  How does your shoulder feel?  Thanks for the pro tip on skirts.  Now, do you have any tips for putting on shirts and blow drying hair??

The only discomfort is where the skin was scraped off (maybe the size of two Eisenhower silver dollars). I haven't "tested" it. I'm beeing a good patient and also the thought of it dislocating again...

Regarding shirts - tee shirt style is best.  Easy to put on and handles the sling well.

2014-09-15 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Sigh...I am sorry Pod. I obviously screwed up my attempt to make the whole tooth thing look/sound unpleasant enough that others would be dissuaded from such shenanigans. I'll do a better job "next time".
2014-09-15 9:46 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

The only discomfort is where the skin was scraped off (maybe the size of two Eisenhower silver dollars). I haven't "tested" it. I'm beeing a good patient and also the thought of it dislocating again...

Regarding shirts - tee shirt style is best.  Easy to put on and handles the sling well.

Glad you are behaving and not in too much discomfort.  Interesting on the t-shirt.  Are you able to raise your arm?  I won't be allowed to for a few weeks, so that kind of stymies me as most my shirts have to be put on that way!!

2014-09-15 9:47 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by 4agoodlife Sigh...I am sorry Pod. I obviously screwed up my attempt to make the whole tooth thing look/sound unpleasant enough that others would be dissuaded from such shenanigans. I'll do a better job "next time".

yeah, good job 

2014-09-15 9:56 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Glad you are behaving and not in too much discomfort.  Interesting on the t-shirt.  Are you able to raise your arm?  I won't be allowed to for a few weeks, so that kind of stymies me as most my shirts have to be put on that way!!

I am not supposed to raise my arm. I can put it straight in front of me (for t-shirt: bad arm out, shove it in, pull it over your head). Deodorant is more difficult than the shirt.

I am not to put my arm behind my back either. I wear the sling except when showering or changing cloths.

2014-09-15 10:03 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Actually, aside from the bill, the worst thing is trying to schedule about 12 hours of dental work into an already overstuffed schedule (as you saw) that also fits short-notice into my dentist's schedule. It also involves changing a bunch of flights--sometimes flying into a place around midnight and flying back out very early next morning. And I've got one more Jakarta lay-over to schedule in ... need to do another fire and hire. Fortunately it's all lined up, but I gotta talk to the people and sign the paperwork.

2014-09-15 10:15 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by laffinrock

Yanti, I'm trying to figure out how the heck you did so much damage to your teeth .  Did you run into the pool wall or were you pretending to be a great white and chomped on a kayak?

You see, there was this piglet ...

Nah, I'm just special. Verrry special. Actually, it's all Sheila's (Taormina) fault. Water horrors usually are. I can't wait to tell her about this one ... I was trying to count my strokes as instructed (in backstroke, which I hate and suck at the way most nonswimmers hate and suck at swimming) AND sprint AND focus on the upcoming backstroke-to-breaststroke turn (which is a beast anyway and different than any other turn in swimming) ... between all that, my special powers, and that we have no lane ropes (never mind color-sectioned), backstroke flags, or black lines on the bottom ... smoosh.

2014-09-15 10:20 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Melon Presser

I am not supposed to raise my arm. I can put it straight in front of me (for t-shirt: bad arm out, shove it in, pull it over your head). Deodorant is more difficult than the shirt.

I am not to put my arm behind my back either. I wear the sling except when showering or changing cloths.

Aside from the $$$ and the scheduling aggravation, honestly, I'd still rather have what I got. Shoulders are core and anything core that gets fached just messes with EVERYTHING. Suckage. I've also trained nearly right up to an IM (two, actually) and then not been able to go at all. Serious suckage.

More gingerly healing {MELON PRESS}

Hey, so what's deodorant? :P

2014-09-15 10:45 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Da-yum people!!! Enough of the crashiness mkay? Who's going to be left to represent us at races if everyone keeps breaking stuff?!

Between racing/training and spending most of Saturday and Sunday communicating with my AUSA i feel like there wasn't much of a weekend in there! Good thing this is a short week!

2014-09-15 10:53 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

I don't know, 2 bike crashes and 1 swim crash (really Yanti, did you have to go an one-up the bike crashers??) I'm in pretty tough competition, but I still think I get to claim the stupidest injury award with locking up my neck muscles while DRYING MY HAIR.  

2014-09-15 10:55 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunner

Da-yum people!!! Enough of the crashiness mkay? Who's going to be left to represent us at races if everyone keeps breaking stuff?!

Between racing/training and spending most of Saturday and Sunday communicating with my AUSA i feel like there wasn't much of a weekend in there! Good thing this is a short week!

You and me!!  And you twice this next weekend - you're hard-core, woman.

2014-09-15 10:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

So, Yanti, I am not sure how I missed reading about your sister's accident.  Glad it wasn't worse and I hope her knee if feeling better.  And now I hope your teef are feeling better.  

My race yesterday went well for me.  Unfortunately a friend hit a car (yes, you read that correctly).  She is relatively new to cycling, not-closed course, wrong gear up a hill, weaving.  The car should have given way, but they both ended up trying to be in the same place at the same time.  She is fine, just some brusing and road rash.  She got back on, finished the bike, then went out on the run, despite being obviously shaken.  She is hard core.  She finishes, and I ask the announcers where first aid is.  "Uh, should be up by the white tents.  I saw a St. John's Ambulance guy walking around".  Go up to the white tents, don't see anything.  Spot the race director and ask him.  "Oh, they left on me.  Sorry."  Ummmmmm, what?  There are still Olympic athletes out on the course, and you have no first aid?  WTF.  No offer of a "I've got a first aid kit, hold on", or anything.  There were other issues as well; I will not do another race with this company.  It's unfortunate because 1. they used to put on good races and 2. Cultus lake is a beautiful venue.

ETA:  Race Report

Edited by IronOx 2014-09-15 10:58 AM
2014-09-15 11:08 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by IronOx

So, Yanti, I am not sure how I missed reading about your sister's accident.  Glad it wasn't worse and I hope her knee if feeling better.  And now I hope your teef are feeling better.  

My race yesterday went well for me.  Unfortunately a friend hit a car (yes, you read that correctly).  She is relatively new to cycling, not-closed course, wrong gear up a hill, weaving.  The car should have given way, but they both ended up trying to be in the same place at the same time.  She is fine, just some brusing and road rash.  She got back on, finished the bike, then went out on the run, despite being obviously shaken.  She is hard core.  She finishes, and I ask the announcers where first aid is.  "Uh, should be up by the white tents.  I saw a St. John's Ambulance guy walking around".  Go up to the white tents, don't see anything.  Spot the race director and ask him.  "Oh, they left on me.  Sorry."  Ummmmmm, what?  There are still Olympic athletes out on the course, and you have no first aid?  WTF.  No offer of a "I've got a first aid kit, hold on", or anything.  There were other issues as well; I will not do another race with this company.  It's unfortunate because 1. they used to put on good races and 2. Cultus lake is a beautiful venue.

I was shocked when I read about all of the issues listed in your RR. Unbelievable! Albuquerque has a large filming industry so the film set medics are often the ones hired to be at races. At the kids race Saturday (after the adult race so it was warmer) there was a boy who passed out. The medics were at the start/finish so they got to him quickly.

2014-09-15 11:16 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I was shocked when I read about all of the issues listed in your RR. Unbelievable! Albuquerque has a large filming industry so the film set medics are often the ones hired to be at races. At the kids race Saturday (after the adult race so it was warmer) there was a boy who passed out. The medics were at the start/finish so they got to him quickly.

WTH?  That is completely unsafe for all participants!  I would definitely not race with them again & tell them flat out why!.  Hope your friend is okay!

2014-09-15 11:18 AM

User image

Master

Shortly after I asked, I heard the announcers calling for first aid/an ambulance to the finish line 'immediately'.  Then I saw the RD on his phone, presumably to 911.  It think it was a spectator, not an athlete, but still.

2014-09-15 11:22 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by cdban66

I've been a bit absent lately, what with the quick overnight to Orlando and family responsibilities and such. However, I have been keeping up and thinking of ya'll.

Yanti - I hope your travels take you to fun places with wonderful people. I can't wait until October and the Germany trip. I hope Tina's knee is OK by then as well, so that everyone can have a blast.

Jonathan - It is good to see that you are nearly back on home turf. Thank you for your service!

TJ - Sorry if I cranked up a discussion that was more than you were ready for. I think Salty is right on target, A1 in this is figuring out what you want, then work from there. Kirsten has a great perspective on it, we are capable of more than we think.

Mary - Nice shoes. You may want to try the newspaper trick between runs to help reduce the wetness.

Stacey - Day one, time to kick it off!!! I hope your plan works for you and you can get to the end completely ready to rock!

Erin - How are all the teeth holding up in the house. I have to guess that Jason is due to lose a tooth or 2, since he seems to be the only one holding it together right now.

Tom - How is the knee holding up?

Janyne - I hope the shoulder is doing OK and you aren't going too crazy climbing the walls with your one good arm.

Racers - I hope all is well and you finished swiftly and happily.

Not at all! It was a conversation I'd been wanting to have with you all. It's hard to have a plan and doesn't make much sense to have a coach if I don't know what my goals are. I told DH over the weekend, I'm still kicking around the idea of IMAZ but am afraid of the commitment.

2014-09-15 11:34 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

I am racing (running) regardless of injury.  In fact, I'll race a HM 4 days before surgery.  At least that's the current plan.  To hell with injuries!!!

2014-09-15 11:34 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Hey, I'm still racing this weekend! And next! No way I'm missing the Monkey Zone just 'cause of some busted teeth. Besides, they'll be fixed (enough) by then.

The 10K swim lake is really something. Other than being gobsmackingly gorgeous as most caldera lakes are ... it's enormous, the biggest in the world (Toba is actually a supervolcano) at ~ 60mi x 20mi and 500m deep.

Lot of distinct languages and cultures around (those are just normal houses!), including on the island in the middle.

Although Toba's still active, it last exploded about 75,000 years ago. It's hypothesized that the ensuing ice age (and darkness) killed all but about 15,000 early humans, from which we are all descended.

Man-atees ... we're all the same, really

2014-09-15 11:35 AM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

I don't know, 2 bike crashes and 1 swim crash (really Yanti, did you have to go an one-up the bike crashers??) I'm in pretty tough competition, but I still think I get to claim the stupidest injury award with locking up my neck muscles while DRYING MY HAIR.  

That does take talent!!

2014-09-15 11:35 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Orlando

Shortly after I asked, I heard the announcers calling for first aid/an ambulance to the finish line 'immediately'.  Then I saw the RD on his phone, presumably to 911.  It think it was a spectator, not an athlete, but still.

Your friend is tough!!  The RD is an idiot!

2014-09-15 11:36 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Hey, I'm still racing this weekend! And next! No way I'm missing the Monkey Zone just 'cause of some busted teeth. Besides, they'll be fixed (enough) by then.

The 10K swim lake is really something. Other than being gobsmackingly gorgeous as most caldera lakes are ... it's enormous, the biggest in the world (Toba is actually a supervolcano) at ~ 60mi x 20mi and 500m deep.

Lot of distinct languages and cultures around (those are just normal houses!), including on the island in the middle.

Although Toba's still active, it last exploded about 75,000 years ago. It's hypothesized that the ensuing ice age (and darkness) killed all but about 15,000 early humans, from which we are all descended.

Man-atees ... we're all the same, really

Wow, that is gorgeous!!

2014-09-15 11:59 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

That does take talent!!

All of a sudden I don't feel so "special" anymore not sure whether those are tears of laughter or sorrow, though ... AAAAH {TANGEMELONS SNUGGLES} to the fellow gimpies.

2014-09-15 11:59 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Quick non sequiter:  the title of today's Wonderword word game (http://www.merriam-webster.com/game/uclick/wonderword.htm) is "Shopping is Great Cardio."  Is there a category in "sports" on the BT training log for that?

Depending on the person and type of shopping, I found the following categories could fit quite nicely:

adventure racing

agility

boot camp conditioning

cheerleading

divine breathing

orienteering

power walking

skipping

wrestling

Do you do agility with your dog(s)?

I've always thought about it, and when our oldest dog was a youngster I "trained" him on the play equipment at a park near our house, but I've never done it for real. Would love to someday. Two of our dogs would totally enjoy it!

You should try Nosework instead.  It's essentially civilian sniffer dogs, based on the training they do for military and police dogs.  We do it with one of our border collies--it totally wears her out (success!!)--and we're going to start with the other one soon.  It's way cheaper and there's a lot less wear and tear on you and your dogs but there's still competition and camaraderie.  All you need are some boxes, some essential oils (birch, clove and anise), some Q-Tips, and a little metal container thingy that you get from the trainer.  Check out K9nosework.com if you're interested.  You could even have your kids help you hide the stuff for the dogs to find.

After your post I looked in to this. There is a trainer near home. She doesn't have a web site but I plan to email her.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42523 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37539 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72919 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50606 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25806 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.