BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-10-01 3:35 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by laffinrock

Well I'm starting to pin down all the thoughts rattling around in my head. I'm thinking *gulp* of using the Colorado Marathon in May to attempt to BQ.  

I'll probably use the Jack Daniel's plan to prepare (you know, share Ryan Hall's coach ). He has a 24 week that I could start in a few weeks. Then I'll just throw in a S/B every week with some core/strength and voila I'm up and training again

I asked a friend about the Colorado Marathon, he and his wife have done the half. He said it's pricey but he liked it. Ironically the price went up today

Now I just watch the news to see what the B.A.A. decides to do

And you'll recover from the RnR when?   Poudre Canyon is gorgeous and what better course to BQ on than an mostly-downhill one!  GOOOO TJ!!

ETA:  Hey, you're copying my plan:  train for a run, play on the bike and in the pool.  Or will you still work with the cycling studio during the winter?

I was thinking of asking the bike guru there if he thinks my one bike a week would be beneficial there.

reco-what? Actually the JD plan wouldn't start till November.

Remind me what your marathon experience is?

2014-10-01 3:39 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by 4agoodlife
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Origin. ly posted by 4agoodlife

Getting new teeth today. Yay!

Yaaaaay! I must have missed it. What did you do?

Well, seems that I started a Manatees breaking teeth trend :/ But, yes, what TJ linked. Downhill section...over bars and into the rocks...face first. A root canal and crowns on both front teeth.

dammit how bout your start a different trend please?

That does not sound fun. But pretty badazz!!! 

My two front bottom teeth are chipped so I think your may be worse than mine. Mainly mine is annoying because the teeth are jagged and I keep running my tongue over them. I can't get into the dentist until after I get back from Japan. 

Oh speaking of, I am going to Japan next week. So it throws a whole other kink into all of this. 

2014-10-01 3:45 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Well I'm starting to pin down all the thoughts rattling around in my head. I'm thinking *gulp* of using the Colorado Marathon in May to attempt to BQ.  

I'll probably use the Jack Daniel's plan to prepare (you know, share Ryan Hall's coach ). He has a 24 week that I could start in a few weeks. Then I'll just throw in a S/B every week with some core/strength and voila I'm up and training again

I asked a friend about the Colorado Marathon, he and his wife have done the half. He said it's pricey but he liked it. Ironically the price went up today

And you'll recover from the RnR when?   Poudre Canyon is gorgeous and what better course to BQ on than an mostly-downhill one!  GOOOO TJ!!

ETA:  Hey, you're copying my plan:  train for a run, play on the bike and in the pool.  Or will you still work with the cycling studio during the winter?

I was thinking of asking the bike guru there if he thinks my one bike a week would be beneficial there.

Good grief, WHAT will you do for the 2 weeks between RnR and November?! 

I take it you decided not to keep working with Coach.

2014-10-01 3:48 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Nada. Longest I've done is HM.

2014-10-01 3:49 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Well, seems that I started a Manatees breaking teeth trend :/ But, yes, what TJ linked. Downhill section...over bars and into the rocks...face first. A root canal and crowns on both front teeth.

My two front bottom teeth are chipped so I think your may be worse than mine. Mainly mine is annoying because the teeth are jagged and I keep running my tongue over them. I can't get into the dentist until after I get back from Japan. 

Oh speaking of, I am going to Japan next week. So it throws a whole other kink into all of this. 

Wow Japan! That's awesome! Hopefully you'll be feeling better.

2014-10-01 3:52 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Good grief, WHAT will you do for the 2 weeks between RnR and November?! 

I take it you decided not to keep working with Coach.

I did. I just didn't see that there was much benefit, other than the social aspect. Then I considered Michi. Her plans are $150/ mo if she gives you a plan and meets with you once a week and $100/mo with no weekly meeting. I decided I'm not paying $100/mo for a plan! I know there is more to it than that, but not really, unless she's going to review my data after the fact and give suggestions. I don't see that in the decription and I learned with Coach Scott not to read more in to it than is there.

2014-10-01 4:11 PM

User image

Seattle

24 weeks is just a heck of a long time. I can't recall this plan. I'm assuming a large chunk of that is base with something more like a 16-18 week marathon focus. Otherwise, this plan makes me nervous. 

2014-10-01 4:21 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

24 weeks is just a heck of a long time. I can't recall this plan. I'm assuming a large chunk of that is base with something more like a 16-18 week marathon focus. Otherwise, this plan makes me nervous. 

He says phase one is longer to allow for building up mileage before getting in to quality training. He said this could go as long as two or three months if you're just moving in to marathon training. The plan itself has phase one at 6 weeks. Then phase 2 is to prepare for the "strenuous" phase 3 by adding some quality sessions. Phase three is "the most demanting" because of inreased mileage longer T workouts and M pace workouts. Phase four is less stressful.

Phase 2 is 6 weeks, phase 3 is 6 weeks, phase 4 is 6 weeks.

Funny, I was afraid you were going to tell me I don't have enough time . Happy to hear your thoughts.

2014-10-01 4:29 PM

User image

Seattle

He says phase one is longer to allow for building up mileage before getting in to quality training. He said this could go as long as two or three months if you're just moving in to marathon training. The plan itself has phase one at 6 weeks. Then phase 2 is to prepare for the "strenuous" phase 3 by adding some quality sessions. Phase three is "the most demanting" because of inreased mileage longer T workouts and M pace workouts. Phase four is less stressful.

Funny, I was afraid you were going to tell me I don't have enough time . Happy to hear your thoughts.

And the marathon is in May. I think my only hangup with this is a BQ attempt on the first go. I think it's a great goal for sure, as well as doable. I just don't want you to get to caught up in the numbers and not experience the joy and magic of the marathon.

Also, I am sure you have heard it a million times but I cannot stress how unlike a HM a full is.

2014-10-01 4:34 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

And the marathon is in May. I think my only hangup with this is a BQ attempt on the first go. I think it's a great goal for sure, as well as doable. I just don't want you to get to caught up in the numbers and not experience the joy and magic of the marathon.

Also, I am sure you have heard it a million times but I cannot stress how unlike a HM a full is.

I have no misconception about that! I think about it when I do a HM and the marathoners get to go another 13! As for the goal, the BQ will be the number I shoot for but if I don't get it, I will still have run 26.2!!!!!!!!

2014-10-01 4:48 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Originally posted by JJ-
Originally posted by Richardsdrr Just uploaded to Garmin after linking BT to it, and, it works a treat :-)
Sweet!!! I didn't realize BT was supporting the auto sync upload feature. Maybe now my BT logs won't get so far behind

Hiya, Jonathan.  How's the family doing?  Is anybody getting any sleep?

Sleep No, but everyone is doing great. Trying to just settle in to having a newborn again. Been a while! I think I'm going to be able to break away for some time on my bike tomorrow and I am so excited. Hope I remember how to ride

2014-10-01 5:12 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

I have no misconception about that! I think about it when I do a HM and the marathoners get to go another 13! As for the goal, the BQ will be the number I shoot for but if I don't get it, I will still have run 26.2!!!!!!!!

There is a 3rd one in there that is 18 weeks and is meant for first timers or those just wanting to complete. On top of the zero marathon experience, I would also consider your ability to get through a more focused plan. Have you done it much for other distances? Daniels only lists the quality sessions in any of the plans. The rest is up to you to figure out through his reading and how well you know yourself. It's not spelled out like other plans I've seen. I think his work is really good, but it also takes some understanding and skill to make use of it. Just making sure you know what you're getting into with it and don't end up in over your head.

Also, your goal is to train for and run the marathon well. Train to race it well and then see if it ends up being a BQ. Might seem like a subtle difference, but it can be really easy to slip over when in the middle of lots of training.

Edited by brigby1 2014-10-01 5:14 PM
2014-10-01 5:42 PM

User image

Master

haha...ok. how about great dentist trend?  I hear you on the annoying jagged edges! Luckily I only had to put up with it for 5 days.

How're the other injuries? Do they have to wait until after trip too? Anything going on with moron man or is he sitting in jail still? (sorry, trying to catch up with pod news and details :/)

2014-10-01 7:00 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by brigby1

There is a 3rd one in there that is 18 weeks and is meant for first timers or those just wanting to complete. On top of the zero marathon experience, I would also consider your ability to get through a more focused plan. Have you done it much for other distances? Daniels only lists the quality sessions in any of the plans. The rest is up to you to figure out through his reading and how well you know yourself. It's not spelled out like other plans I've seen. I think his work is really good, but it also takes some understanding and skill to make use of it. Just making sure you know what you're getting into with it and don't end up in over your head.

Also, your goal is to train for and run the marathon well. Train to race it well and then see if it ends up being a BQ. Might seem like a subtle difference, but it can be really easy to slip over when in the middle of lots of training.

So Salty and Ben and anyone else if you had some (aka me) with very little running experience (longest is 12k which I ran/walked) would you think that finishing a marathon in late August 2015 is a possibility. If so what would your advise be with regards to a plan? I am toying with this idea as a possibly, maybe, might do it. I have my first Oly scheduled for the first weekend in February 2015 then plan on doing a couple more tris after that. It all depends though if we have puppies early in the year.
2014-10-01 7:39 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I don't know if you've seen it around the interwebs yet, but Garmin announced the new FR920XT today.  Gotta say, it's the tastiest tri watch I've ever seen.  I'm glad tri watches are finally getting thin.

2014-10-01 7:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Dayton

dp

Edited by ponderingfox 2014-10-02 10:38 AM

2014-10-01 9:22 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Originally posted by ponderingfox

I don't know if you've seen it around the interwebs yet, but Garmin announced the new FR920XT today.  Gotta say, it's the tastiest tri watch I've ever seen.  I'm glad tri watches are finally getting thin.

Was just talking to J about this! Would probably lure us over.
2014-10-01 10:24 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Was just talking to J about this! Would probably lure us over.

I like the size and everything, but am getting a little tired of all the issues I've been having with my Garmin.  I don't know that I'll get another when it's time to let this one go.  The 920 does have a lot of features though.  Too bad it won't do my laundry.

2014-10-02 12:49 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Melon Presser

For where you're at and what your goals are, I'd actually look into Advanced Marathoning by Pfitzinger. The lowest-mileage plan averages 55mi/week, which is actually quite doable. Some of the other info in there is a bit dated but by no means irrelevant. Along with Jack Daniels I think it's pretty much required reading for someone who wants to BQ.

2014-10-02 1:00 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyKSo Salty and Ben and anyone else if you had some (aka me) with very little running experience (longest is 12k which I ran/walked) would you think that finishing a marathon in late August 2015 is a possibility. If so what would your advise be with regards to a plan? I am toying with this idea as a possibly, maybe, might do it. I have my first Oly scheduled for the first weekend in February 2015 then plan on doing a couple more tris after that. It all depends though if we have puppies early in the year.

Definitely possible. How you go about that all depends on how much you're willing to consistently train. And for now, the important thing is just to run consistently. That would be 5-7 days/week. I strongly recommend looking into the BarryP 3-2-1 program. You can start off with as little/easy as you need, and you'll figure out within a few weeks if you have the willingness/time to consistently run.

Another option is Galloway. However, I cannot stress enough that THIS IS NOT A RUNNING PROGRAM in a true sense. You WILL NOT improve your running. You WILL NOT improve your pace. You MAY NOT even improve your fitness. It's a low-mileage plan, much of which is walking, that's designed to get you to simply finish a marathon well below your capabilities so that you don't get injured. And it absolutely has to be followed to a T (do NOT increase your pace, do NOT fach with your run/walk ratio, do NOT change the mileages, etc.) or you WILL get injured. The upside is that it's one of the few (possibly only) ways to finish a marathon starting from essentially scratch, within a year, without a massive time commitment.

2014-10-02 4:33 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

For where you're at and what your goals are, I'd actually look into Advanced Marathoning by Pfitzinger. The lowest-mileage plan averages 55mi/week, which is actually quite doable. Some of the other info in there is a bit dated but by no means irrelevant. Along with Jack Daniels I think it's pretty much required reading for someone who wants to BQ.

I've signed up yesterday for a marathon in April after failing to get into the London Marathon in the ballot. I'm planning to use macmillan's running plan. It's plans are 12 weeks long and quite descriptive. The book is basically an updated version on Daniels. I find the use of his running calculator easier than referring back to vdot tables all the time. At the moment I'm in week three of his 4 week mileage base block, and am going to repeat that another time before moving on to 2 x 4 week workout prep, 2x 4 week speed prep, 2 x 4 week hill work. That should see me 15 weeks out from my marathon. I'm aiming for a sub 3.5 hour and have no other races planned before now and the marathon. Please manatees, keep me on the straight and narrow.

I have the McMillan book on my Kindle. I'm sure there was a way I could lend it to you. Will have to try and work it out.

2014-10-02 4:34 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
As for my altitude quip, just shows my ignorance of USA geography.
2014-10-02 7:55 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by StaceyKSo Salty and Ben and anyone else if you had some (aka me) with very little running experience (longest is 12k which I ran/walked) would you think that finishing a marathon in late August 2015 is a possibility. If so what would your advise be with regards to a plan? I am toying with this idea as a possibly, maybe, might do it. I have my first Oly scheduled for the first weekend in February 2015 then plan on doing a couple more tris after that. It all depends though if we have puppies early in the year.

Definitely possible. How you go about that all depends on how much you're willing to consistently train. And for now, the important thing is just to run consistently. That would be 5-7 days/week. I strongly recommend looking into the BarryP 3-2-1 program. You can start off with as little/easy as you need, and you'll figure out within a few weeks if you have the willingness/time to consistently run.

Another option is Galloway. However, I cannot stress enough that THIS IS NOT A RUNNING PROGRAM in a true sense. You WILL NOT improve your running. You WILL NOT improve your pace. You MAY NOT even improve your fitness. It's a low-mileage plan, much of which is walking, that's designed to get you to simply finish a marathon well below your capabilities so that you don't get injured. And it absolutely has to be followed to a T (do NOT increase your pace, do NOT fach with your run/walk ratio, do NOT change the mileages, etc.) or you WILL get injured. The upside is that it's one of the few (possibly only) ways to finish a marathon starting from essentially scratch, within a year, without a massive time commitment.

Yeah, it's plenty of time to be able to get through one. The question is more what you want to get out of it? What's driving the desire to do it?

2014-10-02 8:03 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Richardsdrr  I've signed up yesterday for a marathon in April after failing to get into the London Marathon in the ballot. I'm planning to use macmillan's running plan. It's plans are 12 weeks long and quite descriptive. The book is basically an updated version on Daniels. I find the use of his running calculator easier than referring back to vdot tables all the time. At the moment I'm in week three of his 4 week mileage base block, and am going to repeat that another time before moving on to 2 x 4 week workout prep, 2x 4 week speed prep, 2 x 4 week hill work. That should see me 15 weeks out from my marathon. I'm aiming for a sub 3.5 hour and have no other races planned before now and the marathon. Please manatees, keep me on the straight and narrow. I have the McMillan book on my Kindle. I'm sure there was a way I could lend it to you. Will have to try and work it out.

Darren, what differences are you seeing in the McMillan vs Daniels? Both have calculators available online and seem about the same to work to me. They have slight differences in how fast they think someone should run various types of workouts. Also McMillan tends to have more paces up as it seems he'll have someone run a shorter interval a little faster whereas Daniels will have a more constant pace for a certain type of workout.

2014-10-02 8:13 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Richardsdrr As for my altitude quip, just shows my ignorance of USA geography.

If it helps, don't think geographical knowledge of any particular area matters in learning about the physiological adaptations of it. Recommending to go do it would be another matter. Someone like me is at around 800 ft. and it would take a full day of driving (or more) to get anywhere that is high enough for altitude training. Some rather hilly areas are closer, but they're not really up high enough to get the benefits of altitude training as described.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42378 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37432 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72768 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50445 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25710 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.