BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-10-16 12:28 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Hey Marvelous Manatees,

I'm desperately trying to put together my Betty 2015 application video (and finding out in the process just how bad at this I really am), but I need a song to be playing in the background - any suggestions?  

Before you ask, yes "Black Betty" has already been used by a number of other applicants so I'd like to stay away from that.   

The first thing that popped into my head was that Bicycle song by Queen. Of course, I've been up since 2:15 and have been sitting in a car for way TOOOOO long, so ...

2014-10-16 12:31 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Hey Marvelous Manatees,

I'm desperately trying to put together my Betty 2015 application video (and finding out in the process just how bad at this I really am), but I need a song to be playing in the background - any suggestions?  

Before you ask, yes "Black Betty" has already been used by a number of other applicants so I'd like to stay away from that.   

Benny Hill theme tune :D
2014-10-16 12:59 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Chili Peppers have a bicycle song. Of course there's always Final Countdown.
2014-10-16 1:02 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

Hey Marvelous Manatees,

The first thing that popped into my head was that Bicycle song by Queen. Of course, I've been up since 2:15 and have been sitting in a car for way TOOOOO long, so ...

BETTY Davis Eyes?

2014-10-16 1:04 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by 4agoodlife Chili Peppers have a bicycle song. Of course there's always Final Countdown.

Anything by Fakeblock.

2014-10-16 1:18 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by 4agoodlife Chili Peppers have a bicycle song. Of course there's always Final Countdown.

Anything by Fakeblock.

"She's Got Legs" by ZZ Top or "I'm On Top of the World" by Imagine Dragons

2014-10-16 1:25 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by brigby1

Anything by Fakeblock.

"She's Got Legs" by ZZ Top or "I'm On Top of the World" by Imagine Dragons

Yes! Super catchy but unlikely anyone else will use it.

2014-10-16 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Hey Marvelous Manatees,

Did you see that Kirsten also submitted a Betty application?

2014-10-16 1:49 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Hey Marvelous Manatees,

Going the Distance - Cake

2014-10-16 1:49 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

Hey Marvelous Manatees,

WooHoo!!!!!!

2014-10-16 2:00 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I've given up on Joey the "coach" giving me a training plan so I'm looking for something myself.  To give a little context, I'm just looking to finish my race in mid-March; I have no absolutely illusions of being competitive.    Right now, I'm running 4 days a week with a max mileage of ~14 mi. for the week.  I'd like to include biking one day and swimming another but at this point I'm treating those as optional so I can adjust to the increased running mileage.  Four days is about all I can manage now because of my back and hip, but that'll probably improve and I could possibly go to 5 days in a few weeks.  For those of you who've done HM's, what training plans have you used and liked? Do you have any recommendations for me based on my goals and where I'm at now?

2014-10-16 2:09 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by cdban66

Hey Marvelous Manatees,

WooHoo!!!!!!

^^ What Chris said... WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!   

Another person on BT (Lisa C) also submitted her application a week or so ago.  WOOT!!! 

2014-10-16 2:09 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Hey Marvelous Manatees,

Oooooh - I kinda like this one!  

2014-10-16 2:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Last night after work I met a few girls from the tri club at the health campus to try out the Alter-G anti-gravity treadmill (local cutie pro triathlete who occasionally swims with us at masters is who is running in the video). It was really interesting, and my knee did not hurt at all, which it typically does during running, especially when I first start out and am not warmed up yet. The PT showing us the treadmill mentioned that if I were to lose 15-20 pounds, my knee would feel the same way it does while on the treadmill, giving me real, tangible proof that losing weight will help my joint pain.  I'm (yes, for like the 1,000th time) going to truly focus on getting rid of some of this poundage, really, truly this time.  If I'm going to give Syracuse an honest effort, I need to be 'all in' in all ways.  I've made it below one of my mini-goal weights, now I need to keep it there and keep losing more.

Here's me preparing to use the treadmill!  They have little cameras in front, back, and the sides to see your gait, too.  Pretty cool piece of equipment!  It can be adjusted to how much weight it 'takes off' from your natural weight, but taking too more than 20% of the weight off will reduce the benefit of the workout.  The treadmill is really beneficial for folks who have an injury but need to keep training (think big races, like HIM, IM, HM, M) or people with chronic conditions.  It's a bit expensive to use, but could be worth it if the situation was justified, IMO.

Edited by melbo55 2014-10-16 2:21 PM
2014-10-16 2:20 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hey Marvelous Manatees,

I love Cake.

2014-10-16 2:23 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Hey Marvelous Manatees,

I love Cake.

Me too, chocolate, vanilla, carrot... ;-)

2014-10-16 2:24 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Last night after work I met a few girls from the tri club at the health campus to try out the Alter-G anti-gravity treadmill (local cutie pro triathlete who occasionally swims with us at masters is who is running in the video). It was really interesting, and my knee did not hurt at all, which it typically does during running, especially when I first start out and am not warmed up yet. The PT showing us the treadmill mentioned that if I were to lose 15-20 pounds, my knee would feel the same way it does while on the treadmill, giving me real, tangible proof that losing weight will help my joint pain.  I'm (yes, for like the 1,000th time) going to truly focus on getting rid of some of this poundage, really, truly this time.  If I'm going to give Syracuse an honest effort, I need to be 'all in' in all ways.  I've made it below one of my mini-goal weights, now I need to keep it there and keep losing more.

Here's me preparing to use the treadmill!  They have little cameras in front, back, and the sides to see your gait, too.  Pretty cool piece of equipment!  It can be adjusted to how much weight it 'takes off' from your natural weight, but taking too more than 20% of the weight off will reduce the benefit of the workout.  The treadmill is really beneficial for folks who have an injury but need to keep training (think big races, like HIM, IM, HM, M) or people with chronic conditions.  It's a bit expensive to use, but could be worth it if the situation was justified, IMO.

It's reaaly cool that you were able to try this out!

2014-10-16 2:38 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Way cool. Kara Goucher used something like this when she was recovering from injuries. I wondered what it was. That's awesome!

2014-10-16 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Hey Marvelous Manatees,

I love Cake.

German chocolate.... mmmmmmmm...

2014-10-16 2:56 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by rrrunner

Hey Marvelous Manatees,

I love Cake.

German chocolate.... mmmmmmmm...

I *think* Chris's intention was the song by the band, not a slogan or self-help book, but this works here too.

2014-10-16 3:23 PM

User image

Master

Hey Marvelous Manatees,

I rushed to get my application in on Monday as it closed on Tuesday.  Now I see it is open until the 31st. 

2014-10-16 3:26 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by IronOx

Hey Marvelous Manatees,

I rushed to get my application in on Monday as it closed on Tuesday.  Now I see it is open until the 31st. 

Well at least you have it done

2014-10-16 3:43 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Way cool. Kara Goucher used something like this when she was recovering from injuries. I wondered what it was. That's awesome!

Pardon the comparison, but it seems like a high-tech version of the water treadmill they use for rehabbing dogs and horses.  I wonder if you could get similar results doing aqua-jogging?  It would certainly be cheaper, if a lot lower-tech.

2014-10-16 3:56 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Pennsylvania

Pardon the comparison, but it seems like a high-tech version of the water treadmill they use for rehabbing dogs and horses.  I wonder if you could get similar results doing aqua-jogging?  It would certainly be cheaper, if a lot lower-tech.

Good point, Mary.  I think the concepts behind the two are similar, and I don't think we asked if there are benefits to one vs. the other.  My guess would be if a person doesn't have access to a pool for some reason, this would be a good answer, or if they are already prescribed and receiving PT for an injury, then this could be part of the PT regimen.  It is in the rehab/therapy section of the Health Campus.

2014-10-16 4:25 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Good point, Mary.  I think the concepts behind the two are similar, and I don't think we asked if there are benefits to one vs. the other.  My guess would be if a person doesn't have access to a pool for some reason, this would be a good answer, or if they are already prescribed and receiving PT for an injury, then this could be part of the PT regimen.  It is in the rehab/therapy section of the Health Campus.

It would also be more rigorously monitored, adjustable as to the amount of weight it takes off, and possibly covered by insurance.  Plus you wouldn't have to deal with the varying resistance you'd get from waves in a pool.  Oh, and you wouldn't get wet and could possibly watch TV/movies while you're using it.  It would certainly be less boring than doing a jillion laps in the pool.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42079 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37208 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72636 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50202 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25573 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.