BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-10-16 4:28 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Hey Marvelous Manatees,

I'm desperately trying to put together my Betty 2015 application video (and finding out in the process just how bad at this I really am), but I need a song to be playing in the background - any suggestions?  

Before you ask, yes "Black Betty" has already been used by a number of other applicants so I'd like to stay away from that.   

Going the Distance - Cake

Oooooh - I kinda like this one!  

I love Cake.

Me too, chocolate, vanilla, carrot... ;-)

German chocolate.... mmmmmmmm...

I *think* Chris's intention was the song by the band, not a slogan or self-help book, but this works here too.

Ha!

2014-10-16 4:32 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by laffinrock

Last night after work I met a few girls from the tri club at the health campus to try out the Alter-G anti-gravity treadmill (local cutie pro triathlete who occasionally swims with us at masters is who is running in the video). It was really interesting, and my knee did not hurt at all, which it typically does during running, especially when I first start out and am not warmed up yet. The PT showing us the treadmill mentioned that if I were to lose 15-20 pounds, my knee would feel the same way it does while on the treadmill, giving me real, tangible proof that losing weight will help my joint pain.  I'm (yes, for like the 1,000th time) going to truly focus on getting rid of some of this poundage, really, truly this time.  If I'm going to give Syracuse an honest effort, I need to be 'all in' in all ways.  I've made it below one of my mini-goal weights, now I need to keep it there and keep losing more.

Here's me preparing to use the treadmill!  They have little cameras in front, back, and the sides to see your gait, too.  Pretty cool piece of equipment!  It can be adjusted to how much weight it 'takes off' from your natural weight, but taking too more than 20% of the weight off will reduce the benefit of the workout.  The treadmill is really beneficial for folks who have an injury but need to keep training (think big races, like HIM, IM, HM, M) or people with chronic conditions.  It's a bit expensive to use, but could be worth it if the situation was justified, IMO.

It's reaaly cool that you were able to try this out!

Way cool. Kara Goucher used something like this when she was recovering from injuries. I wondered what it was. That's awesome!

Pardon the comparison, but it seems like a high-tech version of the water treadmill they use for rehabbing dogs and horses.  I wonder if you could get similar results doing aqua-jogging?  It would certainly be cheaper, if a lot lower-tech.

Good point, Mary.  I think the concepts behind the two are similar, and I don't think we asked if there are benefits to one vs. the other.  My guess would be if a person doesn't have access to a pool for some reason, this would be a good answer, or if they are already prescribed and receiving PT for an injury, then this could be part of the PT regimen.  It is in the rehab/therapy section of the Health Campus.

It would also be more rigorously monitored, adjustable as to the amount of weight it takes off, and possibly covered by insurance.  Plus you wouldn't have to deal with the varying resistance you'd get from waves in a pool.  Oh, and you wouldn't get wet and could possibly watch TV/movies while you're using it.  It would certainly be less boring than doing a jillion laps in the pool.

The water treadmill would reduce the load bearing impact, but would also be fighting the resistance of the water. Aqua jogging doesn't have any load bearing at all in the way I've seen it as you're floating out in space. You also may or may not be doing the motion quite the same. The Alter G reduces the amount for the load bearing part, basically making you lighter. Stuff does gets worked in the other two, but think it'd be harder to get the motion the same.

2014-10-16 6:09 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I've given up on Joey the "coach" giving me a training plan so I'm looking for something myself.  To give a little context, I'm just looking to finish my race in mid-March; I have no absolutely illusions of being competitive.    Right now, I'm running 4 days a week with a max mileage of ~14 mi. for the week.  I'd like to include biking one day and swimming another but at this point I'm treating those as optional so I can adjust to the increased running mileage.  Four days is about all I can manage now because of my back and hip, but that'll probably improve and I could possibly go to 5 days in a few weeks.  For those of you who've done HM's, what training plans have you used and liked? Do you have any recommendations for me based on my goals and where I'm at now?

I think that I've mentioned the Hal Higdon plans to you. I'm sure that others will weigh in.

2014-10-16 6:56 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I've given up on Joey the "coach" giving me a training plan so I'm looking for something myself.  To give a little context, I'm just looking to finish my race in mid-March; I have no absolutely illusions of being competitive.    Right now, I'm running 4 days a week with a max mileage of ~14 mi. for the week.  I'd like to include biking one day and swimming another but at this point I'm treating those as optional so I can adjust to the increased running mileage.  Four days is about all I can manage now because of my back and hip, but that'll probably improve and I could possibly go to 5 days in a few weeks.  For those of you who've done HM's, what training plans have you used and liked? Do you have any recommendations for me based on my goals and where I'm at now?

I think that I've mentioned the Hal Higdon plans to you. I'm sure that others will weigh in.

I've used this for every one that I've done. Well, the ones that I used a plan for anyway. Novice 1 is 4 days a week, IIRC.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/half-marathon-training-guide If you are looking to complete, not compete, then I suggest one of these. I am putting the Intermediate into place now for my Feb HM. I think I begin in early to mid November, so everything now is simply to get back into running without hurting the ankle or knee again. And I do have to get back to the Jack Daniels book, so it may all change for all I know. 

2014-10-16 6:59 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Last night after work I met a few girls from the tri club at the health campus to try out the Alter-G anti-gravity treadmill (local cutie pro triathlete who occasionally swims with us at masters is who is running in the video). It was really interesting, and my knee did not hurt at all, which it typically does during running, especially when I first start out and am not warmed up yet. The PT showing us the treadmill mentioned that if I were to lose 15-20 pounds, my knee would feel the same way it does while on the treadmill, giving me real, tangible proof that losing weight will help my joint pain.  I'm (yes, for like the 1,000th time) going to truly focus on getting rid of some of this poundage, really, truly this time.  If I'm going to give Syracuse an honest effort, I need to be 'all in' in all ways.  I've made it below one of my mini-goal weights, now I need to keep it there and keep losing more.

Here's me preparing to use the treadmill!  They have little cameras in front, back, and the sides to see your gait, too.  Pretty cool piece of equipment!  It can be adjusted to how much weight it 'takes off' from your natural weight, but taking too more than 20% of the weight off will reduce the benefit of the workout.  The treadmill is really beneficial for folks who have an injury but need to keep training (think big races, like HIM, IM, HM, M) or people with chronic conditions.  It's a bit expensive to use, but could be worth it if the situation was justified, IMO.

This is many levels of cool. It does look like a beneficial, if somewhat expensive, option.

2014-10-16 7:20 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

ETA:

I'm jealous of Rinny's relationship with her coach. Did anyone else see the video on instagram when Rinny ran past Siri on her way to another championship. Siri was so encouraging, then went right back to coaching. So cool.

Has anyone seen the documentary Running the Sahara. Saw it last night. Three guys ran across Africa! In 110 days! Not the "narrow" part either! Incredible.

Do you follow Siri on Instagram. Lots of great shots of her athletes in action. They are beastlike!

2014-10-16 7:45 PM
in reply to: #5032558

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Chris I live for Siri's Instagram. It's my fave Rinny stalking tool!
2014-10-17 5:05 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
I had to share this. This is both amazing and stunning.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=xQ_IQS3VKjA

WOW
2014-10-17 6:22 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by Richardsdrr I had to share this. This is both amazing and stunning. http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=xQ_IQS3VKjAWOW

Yeah, that video is uh-mazing.

2014-10-17 6:40 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by rrrunner Chris I live for Siri's Instagram. It's my fave Rinny stalking tool!

Between her IG and Julie Dibens twitter, I had no need to follow anything else for the women at Kona. I was getting updated all day long!

2014-10-17 9:11 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events
=====
October 18-19
Ann-Marie - Cherokee Harvest 5k on Saturday
TJ - Rock 'n' Roll Denver Half Marathon on Sunday

Disabled List
Janyne - shoulder (recovery week 3)
Tom - right knee
Yanti - under the weather
Stacey - back

Tom's birthday is on Saturday

2014-10-17 10:25 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!

=====
October 18-19

Disabled List
Tom - right knee
Stacey - back

Go HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!

(and me and DS2)

Janyne, glad to see you improving

Tom, get better & Happy Birthday

Yanti, get over it already!

Stacey, heal up, summer's a comin'

Monica, enough with the hurty stitches and such

2014-10-17 10:44 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Racing Manatees!

=====
October 18-19

Disabled List
Tom - right knee
Stacey - back

GOOOOOO RACERS!!!  

TJ, looking forward to seeing you and DS2 zip by.  Not sure I'll be able to find you at the finish among(st) the other 14,999 racers.  We could meet afterwards for breakfast or lunch if you're up for it.  MANATEE MEET-UP!!

DL'ers, keep on healing up and Monica, no more holes or infections!! 

Happy birthday, Tom!! 

2014-10-17 11:00 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Originally posted by Richardsdrr I had to share this. This is both amazing and stunning. http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=xQ_IQS3VKjAWOW

Yeah, that video is uh-mazing.

Wow. Just. WOW. The combination of his mad skillz and those ridges!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Incredible!!!!!!!!

2014-10-17 11:34 AM

User image

Master
Originally posted by RichardsdrrI had to share this. This is both amazing and stunning.http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=xQ_IQS3VKjAWOW
Gorgeous! It gave me goosebumps.
2014-10-17 12:22 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!

=====
October 18-19

Disabled List
Tom - right knee
Stacey - back

GOOOOOOOOO RACERS!!

HEEEEEEEAAAALLLLLL DLers!!!

2014-10-17 4:24 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

It's been so quiet in here I've been resorting to COJ and *gasp* Political Joe today!!!!!!!!!!!!

2014-10-17 6:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Melon Presser

GO Hands-Marie!!!
GO Teej!!!

{{{MELON PRESS}}} to all the disabled-ers and family, for me especially Mutti, who shares a birthday with FOXAY ... which is almost like NyNy sharing a birthday with Jesus ... nah. But almost, and ...

Happy birthday, Tom!! 

Just a whine dine 'n' dash update (that's my endurance event!) ... Tina and I are going on our fourth consecutive night on less than an hour's sleep and the hours in between extremely stressful. A weakened deaf Alzheimer's patient with highly contagious pink-eye and explosive (uncontrollable) diarrhea of unknown cause ... it would have been (and it currently is!) overwhelming for multiple professionals in a clinical setting. We were at a (strange) home and Germany DOES NOT have 24-hour pharmacies, drugstores, or any kinda store. And for the most part both of us had to be with her and on at all times.

Both of us are also ill with goopy coughs/congestion/sore throats/fever pretty miserable. Hospital offered to treat both of us today as well! (And we both have insurance, so we're going to take them up on that, but in the meanwhile there were a few million things that needed to be attended to). We were deeply grateful to get ANY lodging within a 15km radius of Stuttgart--it's running at close to 100% occupancy because of conferences, fall school holiday, and some other major event. But it does mean moving out of the apartment early tomorrow morning (the landlord has been amazing and extended our stay free of charge as long as he could).

So Tina is disco-napping on the rug and I'm taking a break to blow off some blow-hole armpit Manatee steam thank you so much for all the love and support on FB and here.

P.S. All in a foreign language.

P.P.S. Duct tape and antibacterial wet wipes can save your soul.

Edited by IndoIronYanti 2014-10-17 7:22 PM
2014-10-17 9:18 PM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

Racing Manatees!

=====
October 18-19

Disabled List
Tom - right knee
Stacey - back

And my 5yr old doing his first triathlon tomorrow. I think I'm more nervous then him. Gonna be so much fun!!
2014-10-17 9:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOM!!!

Also Yanti please say HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MUTTI for us.

It looks like lots of great people are born in October

Edited by StaceyK 2014-10-17 9:34 PM
2014-10-17 9:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!

=====
October 18-19

Disabled List
Tom - right knee
Stacey - back

Go Ann-Marie and TJ - enjoy yourselves.

Feel better Janyne, Tom, Yanti and Mutti.

My Bowen therapist just left and FACH ME she hurt today - everywhere even my abs. It feels like I have done 100 crunches but it's nice to be able to breathe and after a day and a half my migraine is finally sorted. She gave me strict instructions to take it easy at least for a day or two, which is a bummer. One good thing she did say is that my lats are much more developed than they were last time she saw me so that's a bonus.

2014-10-18 1:20 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Erin, what is your Instagram profile name????

2014-10-18 2:22 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Good luck racers, including JJ Lite.

Happy Birthday Tom.

Heal up everyone. Keep strong Mutti.
2014-10-18 2:26 PM

User image

Master

Happy Birthday Tom and Mutti!  Hope the Saturday racers had fun and good luck Sunday racers.  DL'ers heal up.  Yanti, your recent few days sound dreadful.  Hope things are clearing up.

2014-10-18 3:11 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master

Anne-Marie...I'm sure you killed your 5k today. "Recover" appropriately

TJ...NO TACO BELL tonight!!!

Jonathan...loved the race pics. I bet your smile was as big as his.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42493 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37522 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72913 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50592 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25795 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.