BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-08-31 10:40 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by QueenZipp

I am withdrawing from the half marathon in November.  My legs are shot.  After forcing myself through the full last year and hating every minute of it I know what forcing another long race will do to me.  I'll ask the organizers if I can do the 8K instead.  

I agree with Stacy, this is supposed to be fun.  If you're not having fun, what's the point?  I remember how miserable you were training for the marathon; I wouldn't want you to go through that again!

2014-08-31 10:42 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK Great run today, had a great time with some good friends and then pancakes for lunch. What more can you ask for? Here is my race report, sorry no photos because they are on Yanti's camera. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Glad to hear you had a great time.  Off to read the RR now.

2014-08-31 11:07 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by StaceyK

I am withdrawing from the half marathon in November.  My legs are shot.  After forcing myself through the full last year and hating every minute of it I know what forcing another long race will do to me.  I'll ask the organizers if I can do the 8K instead.  

Judi that sounds like a good idea. If you are hating every minute of it then to me that is saying that you shouldn't be doing it. In that light I read a great article a few weeks ago asking why is it that we beat ourselves up when we "only do the 5k and since when did that become unacceptable? For most of us we run for fun,fitness and health and the 5k is perfect for that and can be as challenging or easy as you like." Enjoy your 8ks, enjoy your training and enjoy the other things that you can fit into your life because you now have a bit more time.

Stacey, your points are spot on. Well said.

Judi, after seeing your challenges with the Marathon last year, then seeing you slowly embrace running again, I was really hoping that a training cycle would not set you back. I'm so glad you are changing to the 8K before you get deeper into the program. I really hope that you are able to train with more happiness. How has the weather been this summer?  I got the sense that training in the heat last year added to your challenges.

Chris, I was doing okay, but this first week of commuting took a hit on the training and my legs have been getting grumpier by the minute.  Weatherwise--it is warm and humid--but it isn't the weather that is making me back down.  It's really listening to my legs and recognizing that the long haul commute for the next couple of months (in peak timing of the plan) would just not mix.  I needed to walk away before getting injured or hating every minute.  I don't look at it as quitting or failure at all.  More like painful lesson learned last year, no need to repeat it.

Awesome to see. It seems that training smart is not always the course we take, for whatever the reason. Good job on seeing the reality of life and how it will affect you over the next month and a half. 

2014-08-31 3:43 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by StaceyK

Judi that sounds like a good idea. If you are hating every minute of it then to me that is saying that you shouldn't be doing it. In that light I read a great article a few weeks ago asking why is it that we beat ourselves up when we "only do the 5k and since when did that become unacceptable? For most of us we run for fun,fitness and health and the 5k is perfect for that and can be as challenging or easy as you like." Enjoy your 8ks, enjoy your training and enjoy the other things that you can fit into your life because you now have a bit more time.

Stacey, your points are spot on. Well said.

Judi, after seeing your challenges with the Marathon last year, then seeing you slowly embrace running again, I was really hoping that a training cycle would not set you back. I'm so glad you are changing to the 8K before you get deeper into the program. I really hope that you are able to train with more happiness. How has the weather been this summer?  I got the sense that training in the heat last year added to your challenges.

Chris, I was doing okay, but this first week of commuting took a hit on the training and my legs have been getting grumpier by the minute.  Weatherwise--it is warm and humid--but it isn't the weather that is making me back down.  It's really listening to my legs and recognizing that the long haul commute for the next couple of months (in peak timing of the plan) would just not mix.  I needed to walk away before getting injured or hating every minute.  I don't look at it as quitting or failure at all.  More like painful lesson learned last year, no need to repeat it.

Awesome to see. It seems that training smart is not always the course we take, for whatever the reason. Good job on seeing the reality of life and how it will affect you over the next month and a half. 

Judi, good for you for looking at the reality of your situation and not forcing yourself to do something just because you already signed up.  You're doing the right thing by taking care of yourself and you obviously learned from that awful experience last year.  Way to go!!

2014-08-31 3:52 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by laffinrock

I went to REI last night to pick up some goggles and somehow left with new bike shoes and a set of Look pedals.  (I did manage to remember to buy the goggles too.)  I haven't been this excited about white patent leather shoes since I got a pair of white Mary Janes for my first communion outfit at age 7! 

Up 'til now, I've been wearing MTB shoes with SPD cleats but only on my trainer because I was afraid of falling over and hurting myself.  After slicing open my calf with my chain ring a few weeks ago (I tipped over while wearing pedals with straps), I decided to use real cycling shoes/pedals for my next tri.  I went for a ride today with the new shoes/pedals and had no problem clipping out but clipping in was a mess.  Any tips?

Before I give potential advise on the clipping in process I have to remind you that you are not suppose to wear patent leather shoes while wearing a skirt or dress 

You may want to practice clipping in and out while your bike is on the trainer, that should get you used to the process.  Also, remember that you can start pedaling without being clipped in - rest your feet on top of the cleats and when you are comfortable clip in.  If you start to slow down too much before you get clipped in, just start pedaling again!  You can do this either with on foot or two, eg. I usually clip in with my left foot, push off and swing my right leg over the seat and start pedaling.  I almost immediately clip in with the right foot, but sometimes i have to pedal a bit before clipping in.  Either way, I get clipped in.  Some people wont clip in either foot before they start and clip in after they've pedaled a bit.  Whichever way you choose, just relax; it's not a big deal if it takes a bit to get clipped in.  Eventually, it will be second nature.

I can easily clip in on the trainer and I start out by clipping in my right foot and giving myself a good push and downstroke.  It's just clipping in the left (second) foot.  I guess I just need to not panic when my left foot doesn't clip in right away.  A couple times, it slipped off the pedal and I feel like I'm fumbling around like an idiot.  I'm sure I'll figure it out.  In the meantime, I'm allowing lots of time to get through intersections so I don't get hit by the cross traffic while I'm getting situated. 

Oh, and no risk of wearing these shoes with a skirt!!  They're too dressy to wear anywhere but on a bike. 

2014-08-31 3:55 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Denver, CO

I was really pleased with my race this morning.  Evidently my make-it-up-as-you-go training lately hasn't been too detrimental.  RR is up.  http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=523059&posts=1#M5045469

TJ, her son, and I went out for brunch afterwards.  Beignets!!!!

2014-08-31 5:38 PM

Master
Northern IL

I went to REI last night to pick up some goggles and somehow left with new bike shoes and a set of Look pedals.  (I did manage to remember to buy the goggles too.)  I haven't been this excited about white patent leather shoes since I got a pair of white Mary Janes for my first communion outfit at age 7! 

Up 'til now, I've been wearing MTB shoes with SPD cleats but only on my trainer because I was afraid of falling over and hurting myself.  After slicing open my calf with my chain ring a few weeks ago (I tipped over while wearing pedals with straps), I decided to use real cycling shoes/pedals for my next tri.  I went for a ride today with the new shoes/pedals and had no problem clipping out but clipping in was a mess.  Any tips?

Before I give potential advise on the clipping in process I have to remind you that you are not suppose to wear patent leather shoes while wearing a skirt or dress 

You may want to practice clipping in and out while your bike is on the trainer, that should get you used to the process.  Also, remember that you can start pedaling without being clipped in - rest your feet on top of the cleats and when you are comfortable clip in.  If you start to slow down too much before you get clipped in, just start pedaling again!  You can do this either with on foot or two, eg. I usually clip in with my left foot, push off and swing my right leg over the seat and start pedaling.  I almost immediately clip in with the right foot, but sometimes i have to pedal a bit before clipping in.  Either way, I get clipped in.  Some people wont clip in either foot before they start and clip in after they've pedaled a bit.  Whichever way you choose, just relax; it's not a big deal if it takes a bit to get clipped in.  Eventually, it will be second nature.

I can easily clip in on the trainer and I start out by clipping in my right foot and giving myself a good push and downstroke.  It's just clipping in the left (second) foot.  I guess I just need to not panic when my left foot doesn't clip in right away.  A couple times, it slipped off the pedal and I feel like I'm fumbling around like an idiot.  I'm sure I'll figure it out.  In the meantime, I'm allowing lots of time to get through intersections so I don't get hit by the cross traffic while I'm getting situated. 

Oh, and no risk of wearing these shoes with a skirt!!  They're too dressy to wear anywhere but on a bike. 

That sounds close to what I do, and with some more practice you won't miss on the left foot very often. You'll get a feel for when the foot might not quite be in either, and try again right away or learn to pedal more easily until the next revolution and get it right that time.

I don't understand why some people don't try to clip in immediately. Just really doesn't seem safe. I guess I sort of do as it may have been explained before, but seems a bit short-sighted.

2014-09-01 1:11 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Stay safe bike riders.    There was a bike/car accident literally just up the road from me.   Three riders were riding a stretch of road that I routinely ride.  One is confirmed dead, and a second one is in hospital.    Don't have information on the third as this just happened a couple of hours ago.     

2014-09-01 1:26 PM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by MadMathemagician

Stay safe bike riders.    There was a bike/car accident literally just up the road from me.   Three riders were riding a stretch of road that I routinely ride.  One is confirmed dead, and a second one is in hospital.    Don't have information on the third as this just happened a couple of hours ago.     

Oh, so sad.  

One of my training partners posted a link to a news article on FB today.  Seems the driver deliberately slowed down near a cyclist and then someone in the car whacked the cyclist in the back of the head.  Caused the cyclist to have a heart attack from what the article said.  Happened not too far from me.  Cyclist was assisted by a nurse who happened to be driving near the incident when it happened.

2014-09-01 2:41 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Oh, so sad.  

One of my training partners posted a link to a news article on FB today.  Seems the driver deliberately slowed down near a cyclist and then someone in the car whacked the cyclist in the back of the head.  Caused the cyclist to have a heart attack from what the article said.  Happened not too far from me.  Cyclist was assisted by a nurse who happened to be driving near the incident when it happened.

I always feel so vulnerable when I head out on my bike.  It makes me so angry and frustrated that there's no way to protect myself from drivers who are either so careless or so cruel.  It's kind of like terrorists, though:  spending energy worrying about it isn't going to protect me and I refuse to be intimidated into not doing something I want to do.  I just try to focus on being aware and enjoying my surrounding.  And wear a helmet!!

2014-09-01 5:08 PM

User image

Master

Oh, so sad.  

I always feel so vulnerable when I head out on my bike.  It makes me so angry and frustrated that there's no way to protect myself from drivers who are either so careless or so cruel.  It's kind of like terrorists, though:  spending energy worrying about it isn't going to protect me and I refuse to be intimidated into not doing something I want to do.  I just try to focus on being aware and enjoying my surrounding.  And wear a helmet!!

A little more about the incident.    http://www.waff.com/story/26419354/one-fatality-in-lauderdale-county-crash

2014-09-01 6:49 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Oh, so sad.  

A little more about the incident.    http://www.waff.com/story/26419354/one-fatality-in-lauderdale-county-crash

The fact that they were out with their friend to help her feel safe after being hit by a car a year ago...how utterly horrifying.  If happened to me, I don't know that I'd ever get on a bike again except on a trainer or closed road, if I could even manage that.  I can't even imagine what she's going through right now, between survivor's guilt and being retraumatized from her previous accident.

2014-09-01 9:06 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Oh, so sad.  

The fact that they were out with their friend to help her feel safe after being hit by a car a year ago...how utterly horrifying.  If happened to me, I don't know that I'd ever get on a bike again except on a trainer or closed road, if I could even manage that.  I can't even imagine what she's going through right now, between survivor's guilt and being retraumatized from her previous accident.

OMG, I read the full story.  Tragic doesn't begin to describe it. Poor woman will probably never get on another bike.  Senseless loss.

2014-09-01 10:00 PM

User image

Elite

Sad to hear but you're doing the right thing.

I thought of you the other week when went to a 3 hour swim clinic with Brenton Ford - yummy.
2014-09-01 10:09 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Elite
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by jobaxas A huge shout out to my swim coach John Van Wisse who smashed the Enduroman record this morning. Ran - Marble Arch London to Dover 140km 15.57 In fact did 5km extra as his guide got lost.... Woke up sick as a dog and swam the English Channel 40km - in near hurricane conditions. No other swimmer was permitted to cross the channel this week, only his history of crossings allowed him to do so. 12.31 (John usually gets across in around 9 hours) Nearly gave up three or four times. Rode from Calais to Paris - L'Arc de Triomphe - 290km Ate McDonalds Big Mac and Fries on the ride Total time 61.34 knocking a 12.12.12 off the previous record holder. All done on 4 hours sleep. So so proud.

I saw that was watching his progress and sooooo excited when you FB'ed me! WOOHOO!

Kingsley posted a link to me as well. I know that bald bony little head of his and I bet he's gonna try it within 5yrs. Except he swore he'd never swim the Channel b/c it's too cold. But it's impossible to talk him out of something once's he's got it in his head.

This particular challenge is wetsuit legal, he'll be fine. Tell him to speak to Shelley or John about the channel part. Shelley is in Perth, he will know who I mean.!
2014-09-01 10:18 PM

User image

Elite

Oh, so sad.  

OMG, I read the full story.  Tragic doesn't begin to describe it. Poor woman will probably never get on another bike.  Senseless loss.

WTF is wrong with people.

Surround yourself with kindness, be kind to others, eventually we can make the world a better place. Geez.

2014-09-01 10:22 PM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Elite
MANATEES I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT

No I am not pregnant nor have I eloped with Terenzo....yet.

My bike has been in the garden shed along with the wind trainer since October when I had my wrist surgery....

After following my swim coach doing his insane run/swim/bike....I'm feeling like the bike needs to be brought out.

I'm getting it out tonight, initially lots of indoor work....but then who knows. I'm feeling the urge.

Now talking of Terenzo he told me via facebook he has to break up with me coz I'm tipping Tim Reed to win the Worlds. LOL.
2014-09-02 4:49 AM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Melon Presser

Don't die of shock (or anything else please, yet):

City to Surf 12K Race Report

Awesome, now I'm only 13 RRs behind

2014-09-02 4:56 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by jobaxas MANATEES I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT No I am not pregnant nor have I eloped with Terenzo....yet. My bike has been in the garden shed along with the wind trainer since October when I had my wrist surgery.... After following my swim coach doing his insane run/swim/bike....I'm feeling like the bike needs to be brought out. I'm getting it out tonight, initially lots of indoor work....but then who knows. I'm feeling the urge. Now talking of Terenzo he told me via facebook he has to break up with me coz I'm tipping Tim Reed to win the Worlds. LOL.

EEEYAHOOO I love JOHO T.I.T.S.!!!

Although I'd dump you for that too

P.S. We know Shelley well and WILL DO!

Edited by IndoIronYanti 2014-09-02 5:01 AM
2014-09-02 5:15 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Richardsdrr I hope all you racers had a better race than me. Got around my 1st ever half IM distance, but it was one pig of a day I the office. Started with a diabolical swim, and descended rapidly into a slog fest. But hey, it's a PR right I really must start training for these things, perhaps then, I won't suck royal butt. I'm sacking my Sherpa (DW). Not one photo taken sorry. But that's the least of her mishaps.....

CONGRATULATIONS half-iron Dazzers!!!

Yeah ... about that mini taper ... and training ... you're supposed to do as I SAY, silly.

2014-09-02 5:18 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by JJ- Hotter'n Hell Hundred: Report For my new Texas friends and anyone else around the country that might be interested in coming down for this ride it really is a great event. Lining up at the start line with 12,000+ other cyclist is a sight to see. At 7:00am the cannon fired and .....we sat there.....and waited....and waited...and waited.... Apparently it takes a long time for everyone just to get to the start line. We were about 3-4k people back and it took about 10 minutes from the canon before we even began to move. It was another 5 minutes before we crossed the start line. I rode this with our local tour team and our goal was to ride it at a moderate pace. Not too fast for the slower riders but not so slow that it would be dinner time when we finished. We started out forming a pace line and passed hundreds of cyclist as we made our way out into the flat hot dry lands of Wichita Falls. We stopped at aid stations every 20 miles and the aid stations are phenomenal! More food and drinks that you can possible handle and staffed with highly energetic friendly volunteers. They filled your bottles with huge buckets filled with water or powerade. By mile 50 we were averaging about 20 mph so we were making good time but one of our tour team members began to bonk bad. We decided that we would all stay with her and get her to the finish. By mile 60 we had slowed way down and began literally pushing her. By mile 80 we were stopping at every medical tent trying to cool her down and by mile 92 we had to put her on the medical van to be sagged out. It was sad after the whole day but there was no way she could even steer the bike anymore with us pushing. So Overall Thoughts: The ride is a great ride. Sure it's a little warm (my Garmin read 110+) however it's manageable with all the aid stations. It was very well put on and I think it's one that anyone close should do. We had a blast and partied the whole weekend.

Sneeerksnort you really are IRONTEJAS! Well done, especially on supporting a fellow athlete.

2014-09-02 8:37 AM

User image

Master

I really, really, really am going to make the Elk River Century this weekend.    Probably will do the metric century.   60+ miles with 3400 feet of climb.     If I really feel good Saturday then I will do the full century with 5000+ of climb.    

Then on the 20th I will do the full century "All You Can Eat" in Huntsville.      That has been the target full distance ride.    The 28th I will be life guarding and working a bike station at IMChatt.   

Busy month,  I should think....

2014-09-02 8:57 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

If you pick up your left foot (completely off the pedal) the pedal will rotate and you can try again.  This often helps because in the fumbling around, you can end up with the pedal wrong side up..

2014-09-02 9:01 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I really, really, really am going to make the Elk River Century this weekend.    Probably will do the metric century.   60+ miles with 3400 feet of climb.     If I really feel good Saturday then I will do the full century with 5000+ of climb.    

Then on the 20th I will do the full century "All You Can Eat" in Huntsville.      That has been the target full distance ride.    The 28th I will be life guarding and working a bike station at IMChatt.   

Busy month,  I should think....

No offense but I hope NOT to see you while you are life guarding! 

2014-09-02 9:27 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Don't die of shock (or anything else please, yet):

City to Surf 12K Race Report

Awesome, now I'm only 13 RRs behind

Normally, I'd give you a hard time about completing this RR before the IM race report, but since I won't be meeting Chris is Venice (Florida), he can't pressure me into making good on our bet, so what the hell; take your time!!   

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42065 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37199 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72635 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50193 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25570 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.