General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Official Tri Tips Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-30 10:58 AM

, Scotland
Subject: First Official Tri Tips
Got my first official triathlon on Sunday sprint variant .5k swim, 20k bike, and 5k run.

Quite confident barring injury that I will be able to do it although I am slow anything in front of last and I will be happy.

Any tips folks especially for transition!!

Edited by titch71 2014-07-30 11:01 AM

2014-07-30 11:00 AM
in reply to: titch71

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Subject: RE: First Official Tri Tips
Practice your transitions at home if you can. It'll probably shave several minutes off your time and get you more confident.
2014-07-30 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I say just head out and have a great time. Don't worry too much about the little things, don't worry about saving a few minutes here or there. You only get one first tri, just have a great time and make sure the tri disease takes a firm hold on you. 

2014-07-30 1:17 PM

What aaron said.

My first tri, the bike course went right next to this sunflower farm that was in full bloom. I didn't take the effort to appreciate it on the way out. I only caught it on the way back. I'm a dude's dude and yet, I'm gonna go ahead and say it. It was lovely.

I overthought my transition. Still do. I'm getting better at taking only what I really need or really want like sunglasses. Life is easier that way. When you do that, you don't obsess about the second __________(or whatever you might think you need) and wind up forgetting the glasses. I'm guilty of that. Checklists are good for remembering, but they're good for brainstorming ideas on things you don't need so watch out or you'll be lugging around stuff you don't end up using and it cramps up fairy tight quarters in the bike racks.

Then again, don't totally underthink it. It won't kill you to 'practice' it once or twice. Not for speed, but for efficiency and making sure you don't take off without your race number or sunglasses.

Also, check the rules out. I felt way more confident about not looking silly or like I totally didn't know what I was doing after reading as many rules as I could.

Also, be prepared to grin like a Cheshire cat when you finish. You can't help yourself. It'll be a grin that's completely different than the one you think you have. It's uncontrollable.
2014-07-30 2:44 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Groton, New York
Yeah, just go out and have fun. For my first tri. I signed up for an Oly distance tri and then decided perhaps it would be wiser to start off with a Sprint tri. I found a sprint tri that was a few months before my Oly distance tri and used it as my 'dry' run for working out how everything is suppose to work on race day. I didn't really practice my transitions beforehand or much of anything else, I just used the Sprint tri as my race to figure things out. It was a ton of fun...but it was also an eye-opener when I hopped off the bike and began the run. It was really the first time I had pushed hard on the bike and then tried to do a run right afterwards. I ended up walking much of the run, but I completed the race and was happy with what I learned from it. And most importantly, I sunk the hook. I modified a few things and by the time my Oly tri came around later that summer (last summer), things went smoothly and I even managed to beat my goal time by quite a few minutes.

One thing I might suggest is to take a little time in transition to get yourself set up in a comfortable way. For example, the pros will run out of the water and hop on their bikes and stuff their wet, bare feet into their shoes which they all ready have clipped into their pedals. Sure it saves a few seconds, but I would highly recommend running into transition, using your towel to dry your feet off, put on some socks and your shoes and THEN hop on the bike, clip in and be on your way. At least for me, the couple seconds lost was outweighed by the significant increase in comfort for the bike ride with socks and dry feet. I was also that much quicker to hop off the bike and get my sneakers on later. It is the little things like this that I would just take the few extra seconds and just do it so that the race itself is that much more pleasant for you. Be sure to have fun with the first race!!!
2014-07-30 3:12 PM
in reply to: #5032625

, Scotland
Thanks for the advice folks I've done some brick sessions so hopefully the legs will be OK. Transition should be fun though...

2014-07-30 3:19 PM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Make a checklist of everything you'll need now.  That way on race morning, you can calmly go through it and make sure you have everything.  And figure a logical way to lay everything out in your little transition space so that you don't forget everything. Personally I make a pile of bike stuff in front (shoes, race belt, helmet, glasses) and running in the back (shoes, visor). 

Two major  rules about transition to not forget. #1, you must have your helmet on before you mount your bike. #2, do not get on your bike before the mount line and get off before you reach the dismount line. They'll be clearly marked and most likely will have volunteers standing at them, just follow everyone else's lead and it'll make perfect sense.

2014-07-30 3:24 PM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

Read some of the "My First Triathlon" articles here on BT, they are a wealth of anecdotal information and inspiration.

2014-07-30 3:26 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

It should be your first offical PR then too!  

You won't have a place to change clothes until after the race, so expect to wear what you wear swimming when you ride and run.  If you haven't tried that yet, do it at least once before the race.  

You won't have a lot of space in transition so think about having your gear in 3 categories:
Things you need in the race (swimsuit, goggles, running shoes, bicycle, helmet).
Things you need before/after the race (bike pump, sunscreen, change of clothes)
Things you hope you don't need that day (spare tire, bike tools)

You'll rack your bike (most races, you'll suspend your bike below a 1m bar using the nose of your saddle.  
You can put your helmet on the handlebar along with sunglasses if you want them.  
You can put your bike shoes (if you have them) on the ground next to the bike.  If you want to put them on a towel, you can.  
You'll put your running shoes on the ground behind the bike shoes since you'll want the bike shoes first.  

As you get out of the water, pull your swim cap and goggles off (most of us put goggles on before the swim cap, that way if someone bumps your goggles, they don't come completely off).  Most of the water will shake off as you jog to transition.  
If you aren't wearing a tri-suit or tri-top when you swim, you'll probably want a shirt to ride/run.  It will be hard to put on when you're wet, but you're still setting a PR.  
You'll get to the bike, pull on your shoes, shirt, glasses, and helmet.  Snap the helmet, unrack your bike, and start walking/running with the bike rolling next to you.  
You'll leave transition and get to the mount/dismount line.  That's where you can get on the bike (No, you CANNOT ride your bike through the transition area, but people try it.)  
You'll approach the mount/dismount like, stop your bike and get off.  
You'll walk/run back to your spot in transition and re-rack your bike.  
You'll remove your helmet, place it on the ground or back on your handlebars.  
You'll remove your bike shoes (if you're wearing them) and put on your running shoes.  

You'll run like you're drunk, wondering why your legs aren't cooperating with your head.  

You'll cross the finish line.  Smile and be willing to give people a big, sweaty hug.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Official Tri Tips Rss Feed