General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I might be overthinking... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-30 11:25 AM

User image

Subject: I might be overthinking...
Hello, as per advised from here, I just need to enjoy my first SPRINT tri - REVERSE ( 3mi run, 10mi bike, 400m pool swim) but there are questions I would like your input. I'm 48, NEVER COMPETED IN SPORTS,

On RACE DAY (August 23rd)
1) Do I need to look at my watch constantly? When I do my training, I only look at the time at the end of the workout.

2) How much water do I carry on my bike?

3) Which side of the lane do I bike? Do I say something when I pass somebody?

4) How do I prevent kick on the head or body contact from other swimmers?

5) How do you use/wear time chip?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Phebes

Edited by Phebes 2014-07-30 11:29 AM

2014-07-30 11:37 AM
in reply to: Phebes

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: I might be overthinking...
You're overthinking it

1) No, you don't need a watch, they will time it for you.
2) As much as you need? for 10 miles, I wouldn't carry any. Maybe one bottle?
3) The right lane. It's in the rules - stay to the right as much as possible (meaning you don't have to ride on bad pavement or close to the edge if there is no shoulder unless passing. You have to pass a cyclist on the left. You only have to say something if the person you're passing doesn't give you enough room to pass on the left. Then you can yell whatever you want, but 'On your left' usually does the trick. No other reason to say anything.
4) Don't want contact? Don't swim in triathlons You can't prevent it, just expect it. Getting kicked by a breaststroke hurts, a flutter kick doesn't, it's just annoying. Body contact doesn't hurt, it can just be unnerving until you get used to it. It's possible to get punched in the face, but that's preventable by not putting your face where someone else's arms are. Usually only happens when someone goes pretty severely off course, which doesn't really happen in a pool tri.
5) 99% of the time it is a velcro strip with a transmitter on it that goes around your ankle. You'll get it on race morning, they are happy to show you how to put it on.
2014-07-30 11:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Just a little to add from me. I always take a water bottle on the bike. It is the easiest time to drink, and if it is hot, the water can really help.

For the swim, if it is open water, unless you are very fast, start to the back and the outside. Let the strong swimmers fight through the scrum and turns for the best position. The 30 seconds you lose by staying out of the way are more than worth the hassle if you are slow.

Some people have a problem with their timing chips rubbing against the chainring if they wear them on their right ankles. Put yours on the left ankle just to be on the safe side. Also, if you are like me and have skin that chafes if you just look at it wrong, take a second or two in T1 and make sure that your sock goes under band. Velcro can and will draw blood.

Have fun and good luck.

Edited by happyscientist 2014-07-30 11:46 AM
2014-07-30 11:53 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Well answered above.  I'd advise you to carry a water bottle on your bike (with water or sports drink, your choice) because you're running first and the bike will be the easiest time to drink something if you want it.  And becuase your swim is last, you are unlikley to have to deal with as much kicking and hitting on the swim as you might in a normal tri.  Athletes will tend to become natually more spaced out after a run and bike.  Have fun!

Edit:  And you're becoming a triathlete now, overthinking is expected! 

Edited by JohnnyKay 2014-07-30 11:55 AM
2014-07-30 12:06 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

It's your choice whether to look at your watch or not.  I figure the race is timing me, so I don't need to worry too much about it.  

I'd probably put a single bottle of water on the bike.  I doubt I'd drink anything for that distance, but if I don't have it, I can't.  

Generally stay to the right, pass on the left.  You can call out "on your left" if you want to be courteous.  You should NOT pass on the right.  

It's a pool swim, you should easily see the feet of the person ahead of you before you are close enough to get kicked.  This is more of an issue in open water where visibility might be very poor.  (I've done races where you can't see your hand when you extend it forward because the water is murky.  That is when you might get kicked unexpectedly.)  

You'll put the chip on your ankle and wear it the entire time.  Since you are running and then cycling, you have time to put it on and have it over your sock so it doesn't cut into your skin.  You'll want it snug enough that you can only get one or two fingers under the strap.  If it is too tight or too loose, you can wear a raw spot.  I'll often add a safety pin to the strap to hold the free end down and also further reduce the chances of it coming off.  Once you've got your chip on your ankle, be conscious of where you walk, and don't walk over timing mats unless instructed to do so.  

Enjoy the day.  Smile.  Thank volunteers, race officials, spectators, and your support crew.  Offer encouragement to fellow competitors.  

2014-07-30 12:16 PM

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
Contact in the water? Good news! You are racing a reverse tri, so there will be little if any congestion in the water...therefore I wouldn't expect any contact at all. Of course, this will depend on the total number of people in the race!

Timing chip? Make sure to put it on your left ankle. If it is on your right, it may get caught up in your bikes drivetrain...no good!

2014-07-30 1:30 PM
in reply to: dfroelich

User image

Denver, CO

If you're only looking at your watch to see your finishing times, I wouldn't worry about checking it constantly.  If you're using your watch during training to monitor your pace, it's helpful to have in the race so you don't go out too fast.

I use a Garmin to track my pace.  I recently did a 5K where I found myself going way too fast because I was going along with others around me.  I slowed down to a fast but doable pace and was able to finish strong and faster than I expected.  Lots of the people who started with me pooped out in the first mile because they simply started at an unsustainable pace.  (I also heard a lot of people complaining because they clearly hadn't trained enough.  I'm sure that's not an issue for you! )

2014-07-30 1:34 PM

User image

Originally posted by dfroelich

Contact in the water? Good news! You are racing a reverse tri, so there will be little if any congestion in the water...therefore I wouldn't expect any contact at all. Of course, this will depend on the total number of people in the race!

It's also a pool swim, so really the risk of kicking and contact is no different than in busy lane times in your local pool.

Phebes- It does sound like you're over-thinking things a bit-- relax and have fun with it. Triathlon is FUN!! There are a lot of logistics, it's true. But it sounds like you know what to do. You can carry your water bottle on your bike (you have a cage, right?), but there will also be water and probably a sports drink on the course. (I actually lost my water bottle in my last tri! Stupid me missed the cage on the way down.) Reverse tri actually sounds a bit easier logistically than a regular tri, because you can just wear your swim suit underneath and strip off excess clothing before the swim. Yes, the timing chip goes on your ankle-- make sure it's secure. But you'll also be body-marked with your number.

Don't forget to have fun!!

Edited by jennifer_runs 2014-07-30 1:35 PM
2014-08-05 12:52 PM

User image

Thank you all for your response. I read books by Friel and Mora, but, your pointers were not found on these book.

I will:

1) remember to put the timing chip (left ankle) velcro over the socks; snug, 1 or 2 fingers and hold down with safety pin

2) only look at my watch for pacing (sustainable but finish strong)

3) carry a bottle of water on my bike

4) not to be concerned about spacing (bike/swim) cause the run is the first leg (athletes will be more spaced out after the run);
not freak out if I get a kicked on the head or body contact; less chances to happen because it's the last leg and visibility is better than OWS

5) smile and thank the volunteers and sponsors

2014-08-05 1:54 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Originally posted by Phebes

Hello, as per advised from here, I just need to enjoy my first SPRINT tri - REVERSE ( 3mi run, 10mi bike, 400m pool swim) but there are questions I would like your input. I'm 48, NEVER COMPETED IN SPORTS,

On RACE DAY (August 23rd)
1) Do I need to look at my watch constantly? When I do my training, I only look at the time at the end of the workout.

2) How much water do I carry on my bike?

3) Which side of the lane do I bike? Do I say something when I pass somebody?

4) How do I prevent kick on the head or body contact from other swimmers?

5) How do you use/wear time chip?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Phebes

1. No need to look at the watch. Just go as hard as you can to complete the distance. This is your first tri, so learn from the experience.
2. For 10 miles, you won't need more than a single bottle
3. You ALWAYS stay to the right and you ALWAYS call out "Passing on your left" or "On your left" when you pass someone. It's for the safety of both of you.
4. There's a chance that you'll get bumped into in the water, just expect it and it won't impact you. Try to give the other swimmers the space they need and take the space you need to stay clear. Sometime there's simply no choice and you will get contact
5. Most timing chips are either with their own strap (velcro) or you use your own strap (also velcro). Just tuck the timing chip under the wet suit so you can pull it off without having the timing chip come off in the process. Otherwise, no extra precaution needed.
2014-08-05 3:09 PM

, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Phebes

Thank you all for your response. I read books by Friel and Mora, but, your pointers were not found on these book.

I will:

1) remember to put the timing chip (left ankle) velcro over the socks; snug, 1 or 2 fingers and hold down with safety pin

2) only look at my watch for pacing (sustainable but finish strong)

3) carry a bottle of water on my bike

4) not to be concerned about spacing (bike/swim) cause the run is the first leg (athletes will be more spaced out after the run);
not freak out if I get a kicked on the head or body contact; less chances to happen because it's the last leg and visibility is better than OWS

5) smile and thank the volunteers and sponsors

Sounds like you got this! Now go have fun!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I might be overthinking... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I am a beginner and I am scared, but hopeful

Started by trisome
Views: 3066 Posts: 15

2013-08-07 7:47 AM Sidney Porter

trying to determine where I am, and where I am headed...

Started by lordkovacs
Views: 1500 Posts: 3

2008-08-08 9:12 AM lordkovacs

Am I stupid? Yes, I am.

Started by triguyfitz
Views: 1562 Posts: 5

2007-08-21 12:47 AM mm5093

NOW what do I do?? (overthinking things again...)

Started by BGTwinDad
Views: 779 Posts: 4

2005-01-25 6:10 PM Steve-

First ever event - half iron man - I am am now a triathlete.

Started by sally888
Views: 1765 Posts: 14

2004-10-12 5:12 AM La Rakusillian
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.