General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Curious question about IM and really long races Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-30 12:47 PM

Subject: Curious question about IM and really long races
I have no designs on doing any of these lengths. Maybe one day. But I'm not even remotely thinking about that.

But I do have a curious question about rules/food. I remember watching the 'coverage' of the Hawaii race on Wide World of Sports or recently on CBS Sports or whoever John Tesh is working for these days.

So, the time limit is something like 19 hours to finish and they always start showing the celebs/oldest competitor/personal triumph stories and such after they've covered the people actually racing. The people finishing just before the time limit and such.

19 hours. Shyeoow.

Do those long races provide actual food for these folks? I mean, the rule about not accepting help/etc. from friends. But, over 19 hours, I'd need a full sit down dinner. No amount of chewables, squeezy packets, and maybe a banana would suffice. And I'd need a rucksack to carry the 5 course dinner I'd need at some point. Are there "dinner" stops? And I assume they must have portapotties out there at various points on the course. Is that a Subway sandwich in your trisuit or are you....never mind.

It's just a curious question. That's all.

2014-07-30 12:52 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Subject: RE: Curious question about IM and really long races
There is nutrition at all the aid stations-- each race tells you what you can expect. You can also bring your own nutrition for the bike and run. You set up your transition area with things that you will need and some races like ironman allow you to put things in "special needs bags" (or drop bags in long ultramarathons).

Planning for your days' calorie needs is part of training and racing, and there are plenty of ways to do this. But there are no on-course buffets and you can't go off the course and buy a snack, if that's what you're asking. (And yes, there are plenty of portapotties along the way in triathlons.)

Some ultramarathons have no food at aid stations and are self-sufficient but you do have an aid crew and they can bring you your nutrition.
2014-07-30 1:01 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Yeah, it can be a long day - but you'd be surprised.  An ironman will typically have things like orange slice, pretzels, and warm chicken broth on the run course in addition to the gels, chews, sports drink.  The other big one is flat coke.  You do have to practice and plan your nutrition for the day.  Honestly, if you do it right you're fine. I think i had one cup of chicken broth on the IM run in addition to gels/sports drink/water (which were my planned nutrition (and it was because I was cold due to some rain that had fallen (and i was just getting tired of my gels) not because I was particularly hungry.

Also, in Ironman  races you can pack 'special needs' bags - one for the bike and one for the run - a lot of people put in chocolate bars or other sweet treats as a pick me up. You can grab them around the middle of each.

But then there's always the post-race food to look forward to!!! At Ironman Mont Tremblant (the one I did) there was beer and poutine and subway sandwiches and things.   Very satisfying at the end of a long day but I wasn't particularly starving.

2014-07-30 1:01 PM
in reply to: jennifer_runs

Cool....thanks. I was just wondering.
2014-07-30 1:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

17 hours

Edited by Catwoman 2014-07-30 1:10 PM
2014-07-30 1:09 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

I drank Infinit and ate clif bars on the bike, lived off the course on the run. I was not hungry for the post race food. Got back to where I was staying and thought I would be really hungry, nope, got a few bites down then gave up and went to bed. Your stomach really ends up being very full at the end of the IM (or at least mine did). Now the next day... that was a different story, had PLENTY to eat the next day.

2014-07-30 1:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Nutrition is a key element for any endurance race. Check out the Iron-Distance forum for lots of questions and answers on this topic. But a typical race-day nutrition strategy would include 1 or 2 breakfasts pre-race, 200-400 calories per hour on the bike, and 100-200 calories per hour on the run. For many people, stomach and GI issues will dictate what the body can absorb, so sometimes nutrition plans get thrown out the window. 

Races themselves will provide water, sports drink, Coke, broth, gels, chews, fruit, candy, chips, etc. at aid stations during both the bike and run. Anything else is up to the athlete to carry. Most people find gels and sports drinks the most convenient and easiest to digest - so that's what a lot of people gravitate towards. Others find success with more "real" foods - I've seen sandwiches, boiled potatoes, yogurt, all sorts of things. It really comes down to what works for you individually.

There are plenty of porta potties in iron-distance events, just like any other race. 

And it's 17 hours

Edited by lisac957 2014-07-30 1:45 PM
2014-07-30 2:45 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
You'd be surprised how unappealing significant food is during a race like that. As mentioned, the run will have all kinds of snacks, like oranges, grapes, bananas, pretzels, chocolate chips cookies, and Oreos.

I've done 3 IMs and have never craved a huge meal. After IMTX, for example, I couldn't make up my mind what I wanted: "I want Chick-Fil-A. No that doesn't sound good at all. A burger is what I want. No. Pizza. No. Definitely Chick-Fil-A. Too late, it's closed. Damn it. I REALLY want Chick-Fil-A now."
2014-07-30 2:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
I don't really have anything useful to add that hasn't already been stated; only that it's Al Trautwig and not John Tesh.

I believe Mr. Tesh is still off somewhere composing his "music".
2014-07-30 2:52 PM
in reply to: Farlig

Originally posted by Farlig

I don't really have anything useful to add that hasn't already been stated; only that it's Al Trautwig and not John Tesh.

I believe Mr. Tesh is still off somewhere composing his "music".

Yeah...I knew it was somebody like that. I just like to make John Tesh resets.
Sadly, I once had free tickets to see him perform one time here in The Lou. It was billed as The Hits of John Tesh PLUS music from Tour De France....
For some reason I always thought he did voice work for that kind of stuff, when all he really ever did was the music they used for Tour De France for a few years.

Even more sadly, I went.

Thanks all for solving a riddle for me. Again, I have no intent or even dreams (yet) of doing one that length. But, I did wonder.
2014-07-30 2:54 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

If it were 19 hours, I'd be right there with you toting a meal in a rucksack...

Thankfully, the cutoff is 17 hours.  

Most people target 200-300 calories/hour during the race which replenishes about 1/3 of the calories expended.  In the IM training forum, there is a current discussion about nutrition for IM events.  

Now if you really want to see some amazing things, take a look at ultramarathons. or "outdoor buffets" as I call them.  Burgers, soup, potatoes, sandwiches, cookies, candy, pizza, along with the usual fruit, bagels, peanut butter, and sports drink.  

I'm usually ready to chow down after the race too!  

2014-07-30 5:03 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by McFuzz

Most people target 200-300 calories/hour during the race which replenishes about 1/3 of the calories expended.  In the IM training forum, there is a current discussion about nutrition for IM events.  

Now if you really want to see some amazing things, take a look at ultramarathons. or "outdoor buffets" as I call them.  Burgers, soup, potatoes, sandwiches, cookies, candy, pizza, along with the usual fruit, bagels, peanut butter, and sports drink.  

You are saying an athlete burns 600-900 calories an hour in IM? I am surprised it is that high!

2014-07-30 5:25 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by Aarondb4

Originally posted by McFuzz

You are saying an athlete burns 600-900 calories an hour in IM? I am surprised it is that high!

I typically burn about 600/hr during my training rides/runs, and I typically train close to my IM pace...  900 maybe for the elite athletes that are really cooking... so 600-900 doesn't seem unreasonable.

I had a chuckle at calorie count on my HRM after the race.  It stopped counting after it hit10k calories burned...  Actually, it read 9999, because they didn't have room for the extra digit on the display.

2014-07-31 12:19 AM

User image

I just finished an Ironman 3 days ago and with the amount of food on course (and what I carried) I finished the race not even the least bit hungry, not GI issues just full (actually not even especially hungry the day after either).

But in addition to the huge amount (and diversity) of food available on course you actually do have 4 opportunities for an actual sit down meal:

-After the swim, before the bike

-Half way through the bike

-After the bike, before the run

-Half way through the run

At any one of those 4 points you can have a full meal of whatever you want that you are allowed to bring to the race beforehand and leave waiting for yourself.

Would I recommend doing that? No. Did I? Definitely not.  But you certainly could, so there is no risk of going hungry.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Curious question about IM and really long races Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Really basic questions about first race

Started by chrisx
Views: 1055 Posts: 10

2012-03-24 2:15 PM chrisx

Kona 2011 Volunteer/spectator report (really really long...) Pages: 1 2

Started by axteraa
Views: 3507 Posts: 42

2012-03-23 8:18 AM Mike_D

Really, really dumb question Pages: 1 2

Started by bigpaps
Views: 4773 Posts: 42

2011-08-06 5:09 PM TriMyBest

really really stupid newb question...

Started by trinoob18
Views: 1120 Posts: 7

2008-06-20 11:09 PM MaesMama

To race Miami Man Half IM...that is the question (long)

Started by dragoman
Views: 681 Posts: 4

2004-10-06 10:56 PM cdom
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I only had 6 weeks to prepare, so I pushed myself pretty hard while I was training. After my first figure competition, my trainer had me take a week off just to rest and recoup. Was this needed?

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.