General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race wheel/Tri bike question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-30 12:51 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Race wheel/Tri bike question
Hello all,
So, I'm kicking around the idea of making the jump to a tri bike. I currently ride a Trek with clip on aero bars, and am finishing strong pretty consistently. I've got no complaints about my converted roadie, and feel good on it.

Budget is a bit of an issue, and getting a tri bike WITH racewheels are not an option. I'd have to break that up over 2 seasons. So I got to thinking:

Race wheels on my roadie (something in the FLO 60/90 family..then put those same wheels on the tri bike next season)

-or-

Jump to a 2kish tri bike and wait for the next season for the wheels?

Performance is the deciding factor for me.

Whatcha think? Thanks for the thoughts...

2014-07-30 2:22 PM
in reply to: #5032739

Subject: RE: Race wheel/Tri bike question
You can have both if you shop smart. I picked up a last year model Scott plasma for $1700 shipped normally $3300. Who cares if its last years model still a new bike. I bought 52mm planetx carbon wheels for $599. They were on sale but are usually $699. The bike is great and wheels are awesome. Spent $2300 and now I have a bike that would normally cost over 4k.
2014-07-30 2:43 PM
in reply to: Bodaggit

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota
Originally posted by Bodaggit

Hello all,
So, I'm kicking around the idea of making the jump to a tri bike. I currently ride a Trek with clip on aero bars, and am finishing strong pretty consistently. I've got no complaints about my converted roadie, and feel good on it.

Budget is a bit of an issue, and getting a tri bike WITH racewheels are not an option. I'd have to break that up over 2 seasons. So I got to thinking:

Race wheels on my roadie (something in the FLO 60/90 family..then put those same wheels on the tri bike next season)

-or-

Jump to a 2kish tri bike and wait for the next season for the wheels?

Performance is the deciding factor for me.

Whatcha think? Thanks for the thoughts...

Personally, if given the choice, I'd go with option 2. You'll get much more benefit from a proper aero position than with race wheels alone.

I'd say, go for the bike (with fitting, of course) and hold out on race wheels until next year. In the mean time, you can get an disc cover for your rear and/or rent race wheels.

2014-07-30 3:34 PM
in reply to: Bodaggit

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

My original plan a couple of years ago was to buy some race wheels for my road bike (with clip-ons) and then transfer the wheels to a new tri bike a year or so later.

But I enjoy the flexibility of my current bike so much and it fits me so well that I keep putting off making the decision to buy the tri bike.

Another mitigating factor for me is that given my age and physique I know I'm not going to be able to get into a low enough position to take full advantage of a tri bike.

I'm still able to see improvement on my current bike, so I guess I don't see any compelling reason to pull the trigger on a new bike yet.  My current bike definitely isn't my limiter.

Mark

2014-07-30 4:35 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Really depends on the position you are able to achieve on your current setup. Are you as low in the front as you would be on a TT bike? What distances are you looking at racing? I have to raise my aero bars up a bit for a ride longer then 3-4 hours or so, so I get less benefit from the TT bike on a 100 mile ride than I do on a shorter one.

What is your hip angle like on the road bike? My problem with the clip ons on the roadie was if I got to a decent aero position on the front, my hip angle was too closed off to make any decent power. 

I guess my point is, the "aero frame" itself is not that big a factor, the position it puts you in is the big factor. If you are getting the same position on your roadie that you would on a TT, and don't feel that you are losing power to the closed hip angle, then the difference between the aero frame and your current frame is not huge, in which case I would go with the wheels first.

Have you test ridden any TT bikes? Try some out, see how far off your position is from a real TT position, if it is really close then get the wheels, if you feel a major difference in position then go with the bike and wait on the wheels. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race wheel/Tri bike question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri Bike vs Road bike/aero bike questions

Started by gzh6464
Views: 9201 Posts: 10

2017-02-03 7:37 PM Jonlmac

Tri bike or race wheels?

Started by BCYoder
Views: 1050 Posts: 8

2011-10-04 5:03 PM gts

Wetsuits, Tri bikes & race wheels

Started by michael2_19030
Views: 1753 Posts: 20

2011-05-20 1:08 PM MX n TRI n Az

new race wheels or tri bike

Started by laddheath34
Views: 879 Posts: 7

2009-05-29 7:28 PM laddheath34

tri wheel questions - race v. training wheels

Started by ff27
Views: 2669 Posts: 17

2009-02-09 12:55 PM rc63413
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job

date : April 12, 2011
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.
date : August 7, 2009
I am in the process of buying my first tri bike. Because of my size my fitter suggested buying a custom frame but then I have an infinite number of choices for components, wheels, aerobars, etc.

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.

date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.