General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Beginner in PA Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-30 3:07 PM

User image

Subject: Beginner in PA
Hello all! I am 29 years old and new and yet to compete a tri, and am looking to train this fall/winter/spring with a goal of entering a race in early summer 2015 for my 30th birthday. Depending on how my initial 20 weeks of training goes I will decide whether I will do a sprint or tackle an olympic to begin with. I have been involved in various competitive sports throughout my life. I have mostly settled in to running and spinning the last few years, and I am looking for a challenge and a goal. I was a lifeguard in high school/college, but have not swam strokes in a long time, and while I have been spinning a lot, I do not have any real experience on the road. I have been lurking for a few days, and this seems like a great community for advice.

2014-07-30 3:50 PM
in reply to: jackie755

User image

Aledo, Texas
Subject: RE: Beginner in PA
Welcome! I'm in a similar boat to you with a similar goal of doing my first tri next spring or summer. There are a lot of articles here that I have found helpful. Like any place, it's worth reading through many to get an idea of what's out there, then focusing on a few that make good sense with your level of fitness and goals. For example, after reading tons of swimming articles, I've settled on a beginner's swimming routine that I will follow for the next several months before moving into a formal training plan.

Good luck!
2014-07-31 10:35 AM
in reply to: LundyLund

User image

Thanks for the advice. I definitely need to get back into swimming. I haven't seriously swam since I was in college. I also spin a ton, but will need to concentrate a lot on biking on the road. I'm currently on the lookout for a decently priced used bike on craigslist.
2014-07-31 11:18 AM
in reply to: jackie755

User image

Good luck on your training.  You have lots of time to get that swim stroke back and get comfortable on the bike.  Regarding the bike, size and fit matters so if you know any cyclists or have a chance to speak with someone at a bike shop try to get a good idea of what you should be on. 

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Beginner in PA Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Yet another BEGINNER beginner....HI!

Started by robyntri
Views: 1512 Posts: 6

2010-09-17 2:18 PM McFuzz

Hello from PA

Started by mtnchick13
Views: 776 Posts: 6

2005-06-28 9:27 PM TigerLily

New member from PA

Started by lengle
Views: 706 Posts: 6

2005-06-02 12:08 PM Jerry in PA

trying Tri's in Pgh, PA

Started by guinnessracing
Views: 620 Posts: 4

2005-02-13 11:23 PM guinnessracing

Newbie from PA

Started by egent
Views: 970 Posts: 6

2005-01-19 6:42 PM dontracy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 7, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Intervals help a runner manage the intensity and learn to push at a pace that’s out of their comfort zone. Learn these five intervals with example workouts.

date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : June 27, 2011
author : Trmlo
comments : 10
At 66 years old, I completed my first sprint triathlon!

date : May 19, 2011
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : February 3, 2011
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season

date : April 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
Practice these three workouts each week for 4 weeks. Just complete the workouts and notice the changes to your stroke.
date : January 10, 2005
author : Ken
comments : 7
Don't worry, you can't do anything that hasn't been done before. Read this article for some humorous insights of one triathlete's introduction to the sport.

date : September 10, 2004
author : Team BT
comments : 0
History of the triathlon and distances.