General Discussion Triathlon Talk » St Louis Mayor Hits Bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-30 3:21 PM

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Subject: St Louis Mayor Hits Bike?
A friend sent me this article. The mayor's story sounds a bit sketchy to me.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/bicyclist-claim...

2014-07-30 3:49 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: St Louis Mayor Hits Bike?
Might want to edit the subject to St. Louis AREA Mayor....

I don't know the mayor. I live fairly close, but not in that suburb so I don't know anything about it. Us suburbs are like that. We're provincial. We only care what's going on in our suburb, and maybe the one next door that's our high school rival. If for some bizarre reason, you aren't living in the suburb you grew up in, you might care about that one too....but then you don't care about the one you're actually in, because you'll be moving from there as soon as possible to your home turf. Like I said. Provincial. I actually avoid that suburb. Amongst other things, traffic is crazy in places.

It's a he-said/he-said. I know there's times I should have been yelled at while out biking, and I'm pretty conscientious of traffic laws and courtesies....but there's always times when I take the shortcut/lazy option. It's one of the things that ticks me off about bikers. Like dog walkers on the trails.....their dog never barks/bites/jumps in your way/or they never ever let the leash become a decapitation device. I see cyclists do stupid stuff ALL THE TIME. And I'm man enough to know I've done stupid stuff....sometimes without thinking. Sometimes weighing the cost/benefit.

However, If I had to lay odds on this one, though....I'd probably be more apt to believe the cyclist. It kind of passes the sniff test. But, I certainly wouldn't be going apoplectic on his Facebook page based on a St. Louis Post article.

The St. Louis (proper) mayor wouldn't do that. I don't think he's a cyclist or anything, but he's pretty easy going. He's also smart enough not to lose the 'cyclist vote'.

Edited by jhaack39 2014-07-30 3:55 PM
2014-07-30 5:30 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Subject: St Louis AREA Mayor Hits Bike?
Thanks for the heads up. Yes, St Louis AREA Mayor.

It is indeed a he said/ he said situation except that there were witnesses that went after him.
Also, my mind goes to "what does each person have to gain by making up their story" Biker? Well, not much. Mayor? Well, what does he have to lose by NOT making up his story.
I really hope this isn't something that gets swept under the rug just because he's the mayor. If you hear any updates, please let us know.
2014-07-30 5:51 PM
in reply to: pwoolson

Veteran
Subject: RE: St Louis AREA Mayor Hits Bike?
the mayor is just driving along, a cyclist blows a stop sign, grabs his car with his hands - while still on the bike, and the mayor says, 'sir, you should stop at the stop signs.' then when the cyclist crashes, you claim that although it may have looked like you were fleeing, you were actually looking for a road to turn around?!? because, you know, most people don't just stop pull over and stop. but of course, he was so upset during of all of this, he pulls an Oscar P and claims he needs to vomit? makes you wonder how long he's been telling whoppers and nobody calls him on it to tell one this ridiculous.

I can see it now, excuse me sir on your fancy bike, holding on to my car while I am driving down the road, I dare say, you really ought to stop at a stop sign.

I suspect it went like this - cyclist only slowed at the stop sign making the mayor have to slow down, mayor gets pissed, starts yelling F you, get off my F'ing roads, cyclist says F you right back, then mayor decides might makes right, mayor smashes into the cyclist and off he goes. ...can't wait to hear what the witness saw. hopefully not a mayor lackey.
2014-07-30 8:23 PM
in reply to: sheesleeva

User image

Here is a link to a radio interview from the cyclist and his attorney.

2014-07-31 9:42 AM

Mark Reardon...HUGE cyclist.
Pretty good guy. I've been on his show a couple times for unrelated reasons.
The mayor....it's Sunset Hills. I originally thought it was Fenton. I did the Sunset Hills sprint last year. Kinda fun. Real mellow...but they don't call it Sunset Hills for nothing. Just read that the sponsor is threatening to pull their sponsorship unless the mayor apologizes and agrees to sign on with some cyclist-friendly program. Bummer. I'm no doing it this year anyway since it's a week before another longer one I'm doing.

Even more interesting a former classmate of mine saw the exchange.

From his summation:

Mayor was a total dick. Hands down. My classmate wasn't totally paying attention to whatever happened until there was some contact. It's one of those you're aware of it, but it doesn't resonate without hindsight. Regardless of any stupid/dangerous cycling...the driver made it all happen.

His impression...again....the mayor was a dick and out of line...I would assume could face some sort of charge or a variety of them. The one thing that the cyclist's attorney is saying that's not quite jiving with what my friend believes he saw is that the driver was attempting to flee. He said once he saw contact he was obviously paying more attention and initially thought the guy was driving off, but saw right away he was maneuvering to make a u-ey. He said the driver was already coming back before the "truck" tracked him down. Driving on that road sucks. I can easily see that.

Further, with the attorney getting on the radio and using the word "margarita" and saying...."well, we don't know." Yes, it's true the mayor was at the opening of a Mexican restaurant that morning. The restaurant has confirmed that he was drinking soda...everyone was. They don't have their liquor license yet. So yeah, a field sobriety test wasn't done. Not terribly shocking.

I'm getting to know the some of the more cycling friendly suburbs around here. Oddly, the ones I tend to 'look down my nose on" are some of the way better and more friendly places to ride. Despite the fact that I'm spending quite a bit of time on my bike these days, I just am having a really tough time identifying with the oppressed cycling community.

I take the same approach when I'm driving. It's up to me and me only to make myself safe. Because I don't trust anybody. Mainly because I admit I do STUPID STUFF (sometimes consciously, sometimes not....NOBODY is even remotely close to perfect) when I'm driving or biking. I'll admit it. I'm also man enough to hold up my hands and say sorry when I know it's my fault. It keeps the road rage down..keeps my blood pressure down when I don't get mad at someone. Especially when it's my fault.

Edited by jhaack39 2014-07-31 9:44 AM

2014-08-01 5:30 AM

User image

looks like the Sunset Hills Police have requested the county do the investigation which is good - http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/sunset-hills-po...
2014-08-01 8:56 AM
in reply to: austhokie

User image

Veteran
As a StL transplant (that is, I didn't grow up here but I live here now), I 100% agree with the provincial comments. This place is absolutely ridiculous with that, and as an outsider it's pretty off-putting. The locals here actually go so far here as to ask any new person they meet what high school they went to so that they can figure out the relative affluence and values of the new person, which I found offensive to the max when I first arrived. Now I just hang out with other transplants and don't worry about the locals so much

As for the Sunset Hills race itself, can't say that I've done that one. I looked at the course a few times and the 5-loop bike didn't appeal to me much. With many other similar-distance races in the same month (Kirkwood, Fenton, Alligator's Creek, LSL, etc) you can definitely pick and choose what you want to do in the August timeframe.
2014-08-01 9:26 AM

Cyclone....
(Are you an Iowa, transplant by the way?)

The high school thing, you're dead on about that. That's the first step, we do that to assess your general socio-economic status. I would add, too, that we also do it because St. Louis is the biggest small town in America. So, once we've established you socio-economic status, the next step is to figure out that my brother once dated your sister's cousin. Or that you know my older brother, or at the very least you hang out with someone I graduated with.

Sunset Hills is 'booming'. It's always been this rather confused little place. Leafy, subdued, quiet with a solid....but not obnoxious commercial/retail base...but not carrying a particular panache. Yet home to Busch's,.as in the Anheuser-y kind. If your response to the high school was "Lindbergh (Sunset Hills)"....that would be considered a very neutral answer. Definitely not hoosier (that's what we call them here. best description to an outsider would be "urban redneck"). But certainly no Ladue or even a Kirkwood. Right now, they're having to build elementary schools. Kind of unheard of in suburban St. Louis....at least inside the interbelt.

You get used to it. When the home prices of the Sunset Hills, Kirkwoods, Websters, Glendales, and the last affordable bits of Ladue skyrocketed people couldn't afford to move back to them when they grew up. It's throwing everything out of balance.

Now we have people moving into the hip city on Washington or the Grove.....and then complaining about the noise. HAH! This town is a mess.

But....to keep this relevant.....

I grew up in Kirkwood. Yep. I admit it. I'm snooty about it. Can't afford to live there now. I live in Manchester. I ride all the time in Valley Park. A place that as a kid/high schooler I totally looked down upon. It was the heartbeat of St. Louis hoosierdom. Of course, it's developed quite a bit and lost 99% of that. And I'll tell you, it is one of the nicest places to ride and run. Manchester (except the hills blow), way better too. Kirkwood is AWFUL. The traffic is terrible. I don't like running in Kirkwood either. Webster...same way.

It seems the places I looked down on, people seem to go out of their way to wait to turn into their driveway or side street when you're running along the sidewalk. They're more than happy to 'waste' a few seconds of their precious time to allow you to keep your pace. Not so much in the places that rank higher on the high school list. And the places where I would expect more 'friendliness'? Worse. Way worse.

Except Clayton, Ladue, T&C. I think that's because soooooooo many people ride in those areas because of big wide, cyclist friendly Clayton Rd. I swear, we must look like a trail of ants to anyone who'd fly over in a plane.

Oh, more words to add....as if I never have enough. Regarding the Sunset Hills tri. I did it last year. And, I would have to say there were more spectators along the course (the bike part, along S. Lindbergh Rd.) than any other race I've done. I don't know if it was all family and friends....or just folks out to watch, but it was kinda nice. I just did Kirkwood and with the number of Kirkwood residents/natives doing that race....I would have expected GOBS of people. Nope. Then again, Kirkwood's finally become what it always thought it was...which isn't necessarily what they really wanted.

Edited by jhaack39 2014-08-01 9:29 AM
2014-08-01 3:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Yup, originally from Iowa and as you can tell from the Login an ISU grad. Been in StL for almost 12 years now, and completely understand everything you said about the SW county - although half the people would be offended by the "S", and the other half offended by the "W" LOL

I live up closer to Creve Coeur park, and for the most part I can ride to and from there as a I please without fear of cars being poorly behaved. There are some roads there that the shoulders are non-existent and on the uphills it could get hairy, but with a decent number of folks riding that same route to the lake or back the drivers are pretty tolerant of cyclists slowly spinning their way up the hills. Really the only 'strange' incident was a high school passenger that leaned out the window and barked at me, which was way more funny than annoying or dangerous for me

As for the "hoosier" thing, that completely caught me offguard - especially because my last name has "Hoosier" in it. Imagine my confusion after first moving down here, introducing myself to people, and hearing them chuckle and ask "really?". Ha!
2014-08-01 3:23 PM
in reply to: CycloneVM

Originally posted by CycloneVM

As for the "hoosier" thing, that completely caught me offguard - especially because my last name has "Hoosier" in it. Imagine my confusion after first moving down here, introducing myself to people, and hearing them chuckle and ask "really?". Ha!

Ahahahaha. Yah. the hoosier thing is hard to communicate. I tend to use "urban redneck" for those that don't live here, but that's not perfect. If you look like you just stepped off the cover of a Thin Lizzy album, you just might be a hoosier. Then again, it's possible that you're just one of the many variants like a Bloosier (Blues fan hoosier). Or maybe just the type that wears a red hardhat and jean shorts to a Cardinals game.

I'll forgive you that you're an ISU grad. I grew up in Kirkwood, but went to Iowa City. I moved back to that state as fast as I could and would still be there if it wasn't for a family business. My wife is from up near Fort Dodge. Oddly, I couldn't get her to move back if I bribed her. It's a really bike friendly state, but that didn't matter to me much at the time. We had a trail that they put into our backyard after we moved in. At first, we were kinda bummed, but by the end it was great. Connected to elementary schools, the 9th grade building, the library, parks, other trails. When we sold our house, it was from a sign we put in the backyard. I'm dying to do RAGBRAI now that I'm fit enough to pull it off.

I run Creve Coeur lake all the time, but would have a tough time on the bike on the loop around the lake, too crowded. However, the dog walkers are way more well behaved there than other trails. I gather from a neighbor, there's plenty of trail elsewhere in the park that's not too bad. I'd think there's good flat riding in that neck of the woods...along the river. There sure is for the Newtown tri just across the river. The worst hill you get on that is the curb into transition. The worst is Grant's Trail. Unridable. Too many long stoplights. Too many people. And...I have to ride through Kirkwood to get there.

2014-08-01 3:31 PM
in reply to: CycloneVM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Maybe things have changed.  I haven't lived there in 25 years but I grew up in STL and my dad is the minister of a church in U City (across the street from Wash U track) - Mom taught at SLU.  Live in Lafayette Square before it was cool to live in Lafayette Square.

I get the "Hoosier" slang but it's the same as redneck, basically.  I don't remember it being as bad is what's being written here.

Graduated LHSS, BTW...  Not a city for me in the long haul.  I'm a mtn man or west coast (Denver or west is my "region").

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » St Louis Mayor Hits Bike? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

St. Louis 1/2 Mary - Cool Race Course Video

Started by lvthgme
Views: 569 Posts: 2

2010-04-07 4:07 PM popsracer

St. Louis park rangers handing out speed warnings to cyclists

Started by Kickback
Views: 703 Posts: 9

2009-07-31 4:01 PM verga

Stores that sell Tri-Gear in St. Louis

Started by ranger5oh
Views: 1074 Posts: 3

2007-07-20 1:41 PM ranger5oh

St. Louis Metro and Missourians!

Started by slovegreen
Views: 471 Posts: 1

2006-01-30 1:49 PM slovegreen

St. Louis Triathlon Club

Started by drmac
Views: 470 Posts: 3

2006-01-26 4:45 PM katieyows
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.

date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
I’ve signed up to do the St. Anthony’s Olympic Triathlon in April. I will be 49 in May and need some advice on a good training program to fit into my full time work schedule.