General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5K... Now What??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-31 8:28 AM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Subject: 5K... Now What???
Okay... I'm lost. I now have 5k distance capability (probably more), but I have no clue on how to improve it! Everything I find seems to be based on running 4-5 times a week and to be perfectly honest: 1) My schedule won't allow more than 3, and 2) I am still afraid of injury and would really prefer to not run more days...

I understand I need to have a long run, but it's the other 2 days that are throwing me off... I understand intervals, but are they walk/run hard, jog/run... what? How many/how long... I'm just... lost...

Rick

2014-07-31 9:19 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Subject: RE: 5K... Now What???
Wait, do you want to run further or faster?
2014-07-31 9:43 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

TBH... Both.

But, since I'm sticking with Sprint/5K distances until 2016, faster is yeahbsolutely at the top of the list.

*edit* and right now 5K is my "long" run

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-07-31 9:44 AM
2014-07-31 10:55 AM
in reply to: #5033133

User image

So if I were you and you were looking at 3 runs a week I would do the following.

Run 1 - recovery run, after the long run or bike ride of the week. Zone 2 hr, very slow.

Run 2- speed or intervals. Here is what I'd do at your current distance. Track would be preferable. Run 400, 1 lap, at a fast pace ( if you tell me your current pace I can give a recondition ). Then walk a lap. Too begin I'd do that 3-4x. I'd start with a .5 m slow warmup and end with same cool down

Run 3- long run, focus on adding distance each week. Very slow zone 2 run. I wouldn't worry about distance as much as time. Try to go 45 min to start and see how far that takes you
2014-07-31 12:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by ECS49

So if I were you and you were looking at 3 runs a week I would do the following.

Run 1 - recovery run, after the long run or bike ride of the week. Zone 2 hr, very slow.

Okay. What kind of distance/time should I work with? This would be a perfect Tue night run as I'm limited to running around the block (.4mi) because Amy works.

Run 2- speed or intervals. Here is what I'd do at your current distance. Track would be preferable. Run 400, 1 lap, at a fast pace ( if you tell me your current pace I can give a recondition ). Then walk a lap. Too begin I'd do that 3-4x. I'd start with a .5 m slow warmup and end with same cool down

Makes sense. This fits with my Thurs AM run. With the track being across town, I can run around the block run again. It'd be .2/.2 instead of .25/.25, but I can always run 1 more... What would be the goal here? to increase the number of intervals run, increase the speed of the running block, reducing the rest block? *edit* oh yeah... I'm sitting about 13:20/mi pace

Run 3- long run, focus on adding distance each week. Very slow zone 2 run. I wouldn't worry about distance as much as time. Try to go 45 min to start and see how far that takes you

This is the easy one... Running through the 3 subdivisions (all connected) and even out on the highway (HUUUGE shoulder), I can easily run HM distance and never cross my own path.

A couple more questions (and everyone else feel free to chime in too! That's why I is here!):
Right now the only way I have to track myself is Strava on my phone. I'm using the free version, ergo no HRM usage. I don't even own a band. I guess my question is now necessary the HRM is. While I am trying to improve myself, I'm not looking for a podium. Beating my times from this year, and getting in shape overall is my reward.

I just went blank... I guess it was only one question...

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-07-31 12:46 PM
2014-07-31 3:25 PM

User image

Yea id like to hear if anyone else has ideas as well, I have studied up on these but like other opinions as well.

Recovery run- Again I wouldn't worry about distance, I would go by time. Like 30 min maybe to begin with. As I was trying to explain to a buddy the other day who said it was miles that count. If 2 people run 3 miles, both in zone 2 HR but one of them does it in 45 min and the other does it in 37 min the guy that did it in 45 obv exercised their heart for an extra 8 min, those min will add up.

Speed- your goal should be the amount of time you can complete. So lets say right now at your easy pace you can run .20 in 3 min (im just throwing out #'s number). Give yourself a goal, like do the lap in 2:30. If you complete that, the next time you do speed work try for 2:20 ect ect

As far as the HRM, is it NEEDED, def not. An easy and simple way to see or have an idea if you are in HR zone 2 is can you carry a conversation. If not, you are going too fast.

However, I will say that its not a thing that is so elitist that its only for people trying to medal, I think its something super helpful for everyone. Knowing what your HR is you can control (IE slowing down, speeding up) the zones you stay in, when doing those slow runs you want your HR in those slow zones so you are burning fat and building endurance. These days I think you can find a HR monitor type watch pretty cheap, especially if you keep your eyes out for a deal. I got a Garmin 305 for $25 on CL.

2014-07-31 4:44 PM
in reply to: ECS49

User image

However, I will say that its not a thing that is so elitist that its only for people trying to medal, I think its something super helpful for everyone. Knowing what your HR is you can control (IE slowing down, speeding up) the zones you stay in, when doing those slow runs you want your HR in those slow zones so you are burning fat and building endurance. These days I think you can find a HR monitor type watch pretty cheap, especially if you keep your eyes out for a deal. I got a Garmin 305 for $25 on CL.

LOL! my comment about the podium is absolutely not elitist referencing. I simply know my abilities (at this time), and I'm keeping my goals in the "sane" range . That's why the times I'm setting this year both racing and training are my litmus test as to how much better I'm doing. Now... 3-5 years down the road, if I feel I can handle it, yeah... why not take a stab at a podium?

Okay... Wrist HRM is on the ever-growing list of "you might wanna get this's"... Thanks!
2014-07-31 9:29 PM

User image

Yea, I prob worded that wrong, what I meant to say was a HR monitor isn't something that's only gonna help the best of the best, I think everyone could prob benefit, some much more than others.

Same friend, he can run with nothing (watch, iphone, ect ect) and pretty much be exactly where he should be just based off breathing. Me, I find that much harder, mostly because I am known to zone out and i'll tackle a decent hill and half mile later realize I just kept plowing away and need to slow it down.
2014-08-01 7:13 AM
in reply to: ECS49

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
So busy I started writing and I forgot to send.

10k is always a nice next goal. I would build no more than .5 miles a week for you. Even .25 would be good amount.

Of course you can always get a little more used to 5k too. More you run it the easier it will be then again more you run beyond that easier 5ks will be.

I like running my heart rate. I do it all the time. Even with my speed workouts.
This might not be the best way to do this but this is what I doing/done in the past.
I will pick a speed right now mine is 12 min / mile which is my next big goal. (used to run 9s but at 330 lbs I think that pretty good. ). I will run until my heart rate goes above my zone 2. Then I back it down to a fast walk/slow run pass that my HR can recover at. I will do this until I reach the bottom of zone 2. Then I will run again until my heart rate gets to that point again.
2014-08-01 6:25 PM
in reply to: #5033133

User image

Okay... Test ran day 2 (Thursday) today. Tuesday got messed up, so I shifted a day over.

1 lap around my block is a hair over .4mi. Walked 1st lap as warmup and noted where .2 mi clicked over on Strava. Luckily it was a good landmark! Laps 2,3 and 4 I took off at a run, stopping at the designated point. I didn't have enough gas (also a bit under hydrated) for another lap. I didn't track split times, but according to the tracker, I was running sub-9:00 pace during the run portions. I have to admit, methinks this is going to work! Get a little stronger, add that 4th interval and crank up the speed!
2014-08-01 8:07 PM

User image

awesome,

while the speed days ARE painful, they are for me anyways, I do love to actually move fast occasionally and once you feel good I would start timing them, gives you something to try to beat. I know exactly what my fastest .5 time is and I try to beat it each session.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5K... Now What??? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Respectable 5k time Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Ktieulie
Views: 15007 Posts: 63

2012-10-01 2:10 PM timf79

Fastest Clyde/Athena 5k time Pages: 1 2 3

Started by nate7312
Views: 12008 Posts: 62

2010-06-05 11:27 AM iplumbsome

1st 5K-your opinions Pages: 1 2

Started by healthierme2
Views: 2747 Posts: 26

2007-07-30 7:15 AM 1st Timer in NY
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 17, 2010
author : mjfewell
comments : 3
In November of 2000, I noticed that I was losing the feeling in my toes. The sensation traveled up my body and within a week, I was nearly 80% paralyzed.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.
date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
comments : 0
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 6
Couch to 5k programs for those starting from square one.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.