General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Got me a new bike training partner Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-07-31 2:24 PM

Subject: Got me a new bike training partner
So three of weeks ago I was gonna go for a hammerfest on the tri bike when my 14 year old asked me when I was gonna set up my road bike so he could go on a ride with me. I kind of blew him off because i wanted a hard ride. 5 minutes later he asked me again.. A total wave of guilt washed over me as I though to myself "what kind of dad wouldn't take their kid on a bike ride" I replied with "meet me in the garage in 5 minutes.

Lowered the seat for him, swapped in a shorter stem and the bike fits him perfectly. Was about to swap the pedals for platforms and he asked me how hard clipless pedals were to use.(he was the same shoe size as me currently) I said judge for yourself and threw the bike in the trainer and let him try it out. He was convinced he could handle it. Hooked him up with a helmet and a jersey from my youthful skinny days and off we went.

12 miles the first day, followed by 14 the next day then 17 and so on. He loves it. He's ridden about 300 miles in the last 3 weeks and on some rides has been able to carry 18,5 mph for close to 30 miles. Not bad for a novice.

I predict in the near future he will be riding in the 20 plus group with me on the group rides.

So fun to have your kid take a liking to the discipline I love most!

2014-07-31 2:35 PM
in reply to: wannatri?

User image

Subject: RE: Got me a new bike training partner
Wow, that is some serious mileage for a kid that age. Good for him.
2014-07-31 3:03 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
That's awesome. How fun for both of you! Enjoy!
2014-07-31 3:05 PM
in reply to: #5033402

User image

Utah
That is what I dream of. Someone in my family to do something with me. My son is getting into swimming, so there is hope yet. Awesome job!
2014-07-31 3:16 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

awesome!  i'll just add to be careful what gearing he is running.  you might look into getting the bike set up for junior gearing per USAC rules.  from my understanding the rule is in place to keep developing riders from ruining their knees. 

2014-07-31 3:18 PM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

That is fantastic!  My 10yr old and 7yr old are doing a cancer fundraiser tri in a few weeks.  We've been doing a little bit of training 2 or 3 times/week for the past couple of months.  It's been fun.  After my last race they were deciding who would do which leg of our 1st relay (whenever that can be).  Keep it up!

2014-07-31 4:00 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Regular
Portland, Oregon
I read that it was to level the playing field a bit. Some kids hit their growth spurts earlier and can crank bigger gears, leaving the late bloomers far behind.
2014-07-31 4:02 PM
in reply to: dbrook1

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

It is a great thing to get your kids involved in a healthy lifestyle.  It will payoff huge if they enjoy it and stay with it.  Don't underestimate their ability even at that age.  My eight year old son has been riding with me while I run and recently got a new road bike.  He did a 24 mile charity tour ride last weekend and while I don't let him use the big ring yet until his handling skills mature a bit more, at 60 pounds he flies up hills.  He got plenty of double looks when he started passing people on the climbs.

Be patient and try to look at it through their eyes.  It is important to keep it fun.

2014-07-31 11:52 PM
in reply to: popsracer

Originally posted by popsracer

It is a great thing to get your kids involved in a healthy lifestyle.  It will payoff huge if they enjoy it and stay with it.  Don't underestimate their ability even at that age.  My eight year old son has been riding with me while I run and recently got a new road bike.  He did a 24 mile charity tour ride last weekend and while I don't let him use the big ring yet until his handling skills mature a bit more, at 60 pounds he flies up hills.  He got plenty of double looks when he started passing people on the climbs.

Be patient and try to look at it through their eyes.  It is important to keep it fun.

Absolutely! I let him dictate the ride/pace and what days he rides. The other day at about 12 miles he said his quads hurt so I said ok then lets take the short route home. I am letting him dictate the terms of his riding. I want him to want to ride for his love of riding. I had no idea he would love it as much as he does. Almost brings a tear to my eye!
2014-08-01 6:34 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
This is one of the highlights of being a parent for me. My daughter (14 yo) and a friend decided they wanted to do a triathlon this summer (a small, local sprint) and I got to "coach" them (as much as a 13 and 14 year old girl will be coached by her mom). I was so excited that she was showing an interest in what I love. The hardest part for me was not pushing it too hard. You know, "So - if you like the bike riding, we can do a 50 mile fundraising ride in October and there is the 150 mile trek across Maine in June and the Lobster Ride and Roll in July..."

She did great (both girls did, but I'm really proud of my daughter)! She came in second in her age group (it was a small age group: 13-18) and the age group winner is a collegiate swimmer who turned 19 a couple of days after the race and promptly asked if she could do another one.

She loves to ski race, so this won't become her true love - but if it gets her outside, moving around and enjoying the movement - I'm all for it.

2014-08-01 6:43 AM
in reply to: Clempson

Originally posted by Clempson

awesome!  i'll just add to be careful what gearing he is running.  you might look into getting the bike set up for junior gearing per USAC rules.  from my understanding the rule is in place to keep developing riders from ruining their knees. 

When i was doing PT for my screwed up knee my therapist wouldn't allow me to run except at PT, but he had me biking daily and encouraged me to make my long rides longer because it was helping to strengthen my knee... but then again I'm a (physically) grown adult, maybe developing kids are different.

2014-08-01 12:32 PM

Union, Kentucky
Great, good for him and for you too!

I think it's good advice not to push too hard and be careful not to do something that might cause him to be injured, but I also wonder a little if people can be a bit overcautious. I rode all the time as a kid just as my main mode of transportation, and did my first organized longer distance ride at age 10, a ride around Lake Tahoe. Over 2 days I went ~75 miles, climbed over 4500 feet, all at 6000ft + elevations. And I loved it! And this was the late 80s, so I was a 70lb or so kid on a 25lb steel 10 speed. Even at that age, and I was certainly a "late bloomer", I was capable of riding up to 50 miles a day with some decent hills and enjoying it. By age 13 I had done a San Francisco to San Diego ride down the California coast, which was 700 miles over 10 days, including my first century. So I think kids are capable of more than most think on a bike.

Accidents can happen of course, and I did have a nasty crash at 14 years old (not on a long trip, just riding near home) that resulted in a badly broken arm, but I still don't view cycling as fundamentally more dangerous than other sports for kids, as long as kids are taught the proper rules of the road. And since you're out there riding with him, I'd bet that's the case.

I spent a number of years not doing anything significant for exercise, and then decided I needed to get in better shape a few years ago. I started both running and cycling; I immediately felt at home again cycling whereas getting started in running was difficult, and I think my years of cycling during those formative years was a big reason why even with taking years off I was almost immediately comfortable getting back on. I'd like my kids to have the same thing where they can always come back to something like cycling as an enjoyable way to stay healthy, they're a bit younger but I'm hoping they'll find something they can get into that they'll enjoy for life, whether it's cycling, running, swimming or something else.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Got me a new bike training partner Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I'm getting a running partner for Christmas!

Started by GLC1968
Views: 2110 Posts: 23

2011-12-08 8:59 PM TriSte

getting accustomed to new bike and bike shoes...

Started by runner0302
Views: 1013 Posts: 8

2011-09-12 6:51 AM mobey

selling a bike and getting a new one, need ideas

Started by chrisSellars
Views: 1199 Posts: 7

2008-02-09 10:09 AM ranger5oh

Getting New bike tomorrow FINALLY

Started by ShawnC13
Views: 763 Posts: 3

2007-11-28 11:42 PM ShawnC13

Meet "Rusty" - My New IMCDA Training Partner

Started by OldAg92
Views: 866 Posts: 17

2006-06-17 11:00 PM tupuppy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
The pros and cons of training with a group or training partner

date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I bought a new road bike in April and want to know how to properly maintain it during the season when I'm riding often and during the off season.

date : October 20, 2008
author : EnduRight
Training is often a lonely proposition and sometimes we are our own worst enemies. Finding good training partners can provide you with that extra external motivation to bring out your best.
date : May 5, 2008
author : Team BT
We take a tour through Colorado Premier Training's wind tunnel. Mark Cote explains how it works and how getting a wind tunnel bike fit can be one of your most important tools in getting faster.

date : May 23, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 5
When running or biking, is it best to work towards increasing distance, stamina, working with heart rates, intervals, speed, drills, etc.?
date : January 24, 2005
author : Michael
I heard an athletic trainer say that in life we have many setbacks. The key is to overcome these setbacks, but the question is how?

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.