General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to Tri's Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-01 5:36 PM

Subject: New to Tri's
Hey everyone, my name is Chris. Im 31 and I live in Mount Pleasant SC and I just completed my first sprint tri this past Sunday. I would definitely say that I caught the bug after the race. I didn't realize how tough the swim would be though. I don't have any proper training and just swam a couple times a week in my neighborhood pool. The swim portion was 520 yards. It took me a little over 17 minutes. I pretty much had to breast stroke the entire way due to not being able to catch my breath.

The 12 mile bike ride took 46 minutes. I had borrowed a friends hybrid bike and had a tough time getting over 16 mph in the seated position.

The 5k run took just over 28 minutes. Not great but I never had to stop running.

Anyway, this week I hired a swim coach and my first lesson is next Wednesday. I also bought a used tri bike. Its a Quintana Roo Seduza.

My next goal is to compete in the Kiawah Olympic Tri on Sept 21st. Ill make my final decision next week after my swim lesson. I don't think I could physically finish the swim since its more than twice the length of the sprint race. Hopefully Ill get the feeling that Ill be improving with coaching.

Im sure ill be asking plenty of questions so thanks in advance. Glad to join the club!

Chris

2014-08-02 11:45 AM
in reply to: gonzoballz

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: New to Tri's

It sounds like you had a great race overall and you know what to work on.  Breathing will come in swimming, especially if you are getting a coach.  I still have to switch to breaststroke a lot in open water...especially if the water is colder.

Good luck on the upcoming olympic and let us know if you have any questions.

Welcome!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New to Tri's Rss Feed