General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2014-11-01 1:49 PM
in reply to: Flyboy

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

I like special beverages!  

Originally posted by Flyboy

Originally posted by smithe68 I know it's early but, 2 years ago a group of us locals did a driving tour of the bike course with out of towners, I would be up for doing that again for anyone that would like a guided tour.

Great to see the thread up and going already!  I won't be racing this year (or any year for that matter anymore, due to a balky knee) but will be lurking around and willing to help out of towners.  The bike course tour is always a good time and I'll be in for 2015 again for sure.  And as always, there will be some *ahem*, special beverages, in the medical tent for any of my BT friends who want them after the race.  Safe training to all!

2014-11-18 1:20 PM
in reply to: iareteacher

User image

Elite
I hadn't really considered another Ironman any time soon, but I just moved two hours from CdA. At a minimum, I'll volunteer at the 2015 race. If I have a lapse in judgement, I'll sign up. More realistically, I'd probably be better off waiting until 2017 due to schoolwork.
2014-11-18 3:18 PM
in reply to: steveseer

User image

Master
South Florida

I am a no- go for CDA this year... I went for a more reasonably priced non IM brand 140.6 that is in Florida...Entry fee was $250- goes up to $375 until 12/31...I can train on the course, drive there and stay cheap.  With one kid going to college in the fall and the other starting to drive, I had to be fiscally responsible.  

I am intrigued by CDA and may do it down the road!  

2014-11-21 5:12 PM
in reply to: iareteacher

User image

Well guys/gals.... I hate to be a downer but news just came out today. Steve Wilson who is the president of the Chamber of Commerce for CDA is talking about not renewing the contract with the WTC for Ironman CDA, after 2017. It was also discussed that there is a clause in the contract that would allow the city to not host the race for the remainder of the current contract.

I have been in contact with Steve and he has stated they chamber is discussing other options if the board does not want to pay "6 figures" for a "for profit" WTC to host the race. The only other option on the table is a fundraiser group that would include athletes/business to 'invest" every year to pay for the race.

Steve Wilson is open to hearing our comments and concerns. He stated he would welcome our concerns through email at [email protected]

Everyone, let's tell Steve how bad we want to keep this race in CDA!
2014-11-22 4:07 PM
in reply to: AndyEWU07

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by AndyEWU07

Well guys/gals.... I hate to be a downer but news just came out today. Steve Wilson who is the president of the Chamber of Commerce for CDA is talking about not renewing the contract with the WTC for Ironman CDA, after 2017. It was also discussed that there is a clause in the contract that would allow the city to not host the race for the remainder of the current contract.

I have been in contact with Steve and he has stated they chamber is discussing other options if the board does not want to pay "6 figures" for a "for profit" WTC to host the race. The only other option on the table is a fundraiser group that would include athletes/business to 'invest" every year to pay for the race.

Steve Wilson is open to hearing our comments and concerns. He stated he would welcome our concerns through email at [email protected]

Everyone, let's tell Steve how bad we want to keep this race in CDA!

I read about this yesterday, a friend sent the link to the CDA Press article. Maybe I am wrong but doesn't the race bring millions of dollars into the city of CDA?
2014-11-22 5:03 PM
in reply to: #5037944

User image

Yeah, it brings in a lot of money here. I hate to say it but I think Ironman has put us on the map. Id be devastated if the race leaves our city.

2014-12-01 5:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
I hope that news is not true. On a better note, I started my Don Fink's 30 week training plan for IMCdA 2015 today! 30 weeks to go, the countdown starts now.
2014-12-02 2:47 PM
in reply to: godekjames

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho

I'm starting Fink's plan this week also.  I haven't registered yet, so I'm not officially "in" - waiting for some Christmas bonus money to cover the fee.

2014-12-02 4:03 PM

Master
, California

Originally posted by AndyEWU07 Well guys/gals.... I hate to be a downer but news just came out today. Steve Wilson who is the president of the Chamber of Commerce for CDA is talking about not renewing the contract with the WTC for Ironman CDA, after 2017. It was also discussed that there is a clause in the contract that would allow the city to not host the race for the remainder of the current contract. I have been in contact with Steve and he has stated they chamber is discussing other options if the board does not want to pay "6 figures" for a "for profit" WTC to host the race. The only other option on the table is a fundraiser group that would include athletes/business to 'invest" every year to pay for the race. Steve Wilson is open to hearing our comments and concerns. He stated he would welcome our concerns through email at [email protected] Everyone, let's tell Steve how bad we want to keep this race in CDA!

They are incredibly short sighted if they're quibbling over the cost of hosting.  CdA hotels in particular chase big profits with nearly all of them jacking up prices and requiring a 5 night stay.  I enjoyed racing there in 2010 / 11 but CdA has been increasingly grouchy about the race.  They had to change the bike course to something less interesting because of complaints from the Hayden community.  But there's more here than just cost.  I think there's an undercurrent of anti-race sentiment from some residents that hate bikes and hate the traffic impact.

Money-wise, even just 100 rooms * 200 bucks * 5 nights = 6 figures.  Just sayin.  And that's before all the food, parking, and other things racers and their families spend money on, and there are what, 2-3 thousand participants?

If CdA lets the race go, they'll lose millions each year and some other community will be happy to jump on the opportunity.

2014-12-02 11:30 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Veteran
Coeur d' Alene, ID
Part of the problem is that lots of hotels and eateries are getting the money form everyone but not paying anything in. the Chamber is not getting all the new businesses to join. that is were they get their money from.
Part of the Money for Ironman is raised from the Coeur d' Alene Triathlon and the rest has to come from somewhere. I also would hate to see it go because once it is gone it will never comeback.
2014-12-03 3:44 PM
in reply to: mark.evans

Master
, California

Originally posted by mark.evans Part of the problem is that lots of hotels and eateries are getting the money form everyone but not paying anything in. the Chamber is not getting all the new businesses to join. that is were they get their money from. Part of the Money for Ironman is raised from the Coeur d' Alene Triathlon and the rest has to come from somewhere. I also would hate to see it go because once it is gone it will never comeback.

Yeah it's a tough thing to distribute.  Some businesses benefit much more than others, like the restaurants along Sherman Ave.  If they charge everyone a fee, I'm not sure how they'd do it fairly.  The idea of setting up a fund is good but it really needs to focus on local businesses, not the racers.

2014-12-06 7:53 AM

User image

Richland, Washington
I'm in. See you all there!
2014-12-08 9:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I have been reading about this over on Slowtwitch.

I will give my 2 cents on the issue.

If it wasn't for Ironman I would have had no idea where Coeur d'Alene was and I would definitely not be driving 2000+ miles from Canada to vacation there. I am spending an entire week there. So, a week's worth of hotel and food and other expenses. I was a Lake Tahoe last year and at the race meeting they stated there were athletes from 36 different countries. I just can't see that many people (and their families) flying from all over the world to vacation in CdA if it wasn't for Ironman. There is talk of putting on a private/community run triathlon instead of the Ironman branded race. Well, good luck with that. I don't think they realize how important the Ironman brand is for some/most people. A lot of the bucket listers just want to do an Ironman and get the tattoo and some non-branded race isn't going to cut it. If they want to see what happens to a community that had an Ironman race then decided to do it differently look no further than Penticton. You go from the second oldest Ironman (?) and getting 2000-2500 races coming up every year to last year where less than 100 people signed up for the 140.6 race.

I may be seeing it wrong but I don't think the problem is with Ironman. The problem is the Chamber is not getting enough money from the hotels/businesses that are benefiting from race. I also thought that the reason for a Chamber of Commerce was to promote the community and it's businesses and bring in tourist dollars to those businesses. Well, having an Ironman race does exactly that. I think this is going to be one of those situations where you don't know what you have until its gone. And when Ironman is gone the community will see how much money they will not be making.

Edited by DeVinci13 2014-12-08 9:34 AM
2014-12-19 9:55 PM

User image

Veteran
WA
I'm in for CDA again this year. #8 Ironman for me. Have done CDA 6 times and Canada (Whistler) once. Looking forward to another training season. Hopefully the wind will be a little less brutal this year.
2015-01-06 5:29 AM

User image

Fairbanks, Alaska

First full on Ironman and I chose to go "home" (i.e. where I graduated high school) to do it. I'm a little terrified and excited. I only joined this triathlon world last year after I retired from 25 years as a dancer (talking ballet, jazz, hip hop and all that traditional stuff here). Love reading all the advice and comments about the race.  Hope to maybe meet some of you who are going this year.

Rachael

Edited by pagesculptor 2015-01-06 5:30 AM
2015-01-14 9:21 AM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Well, some good news, at least for the next 2 years.  I'm confident it will be for much longer term than that though too.  One good thing coming out of this is leaving Sherman Ave. open on Thursday and Friday; that should help the businesses there quite a bit.  Hope everyone's training is going well!

http://cdapress.com/news/local_news/article_42107b8b-4065-5c8a-8b63-b84445234c04.html

2015-01-14 12:40 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by Mimir98 Planning on signing up for 2015...just have to pay off my last adventure. I am hoping it won't sell out before I can register.

I signed up yesterday Mimi.  I was holding out for a change of heart on the homefront that voted against IMMT for a 4th year in a row but I got worried that CDA would sell out as my alternate.  I did CDA in 2009 so I'm curious what the new bike course will be like.

Edited by Birkierunner 2015-01-14 12:45 PM
2015-01-14 4:01 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by Birkierunner

Originally posted by Mimir98 Planning on signing up for 2015...just have to pay off my last adventure. I am hoping it won't sell out before I can register.

I signed up yesterday Mimi.  I was holding out for a change of heart on the homefront that voted against IMMT for a 4th year in a row but I got worried that CDA would sell out as my alternate.  I did CDA in 2009 so I'm curious what the new bike course will be like.

Those were the best I could find, 2010 was the same as '09 I believe. Some of the grades are steeper on the new course and for what it's worth, the new course has signs that clearly state 6% grade on one of the hills that's about 2 miles of climbing give or take a little.

2010 http://www.mapmyride.com/us/coeur-d-alene-id/ironman-coeur-d-alene-...

New http://www.mapmyride.com/us/coeur-d-alene-id/ironman-coeur-d-alene-...

Edited by smithe68 2015-01-14 4:05 PM
2015-01-16 11:44 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Flyboy

Originally posted by smithe68 I know it's early but, 2 years ago a group of us locals did a driving tour of the bike course with out of towners, I would be up for doing that again for anyone that would like a guided tour.

Great to see the thread up and going already!  I won't be racing this year (or any year for that matter anymore, due to a balky knee) but will be lurking around and willing to help out of towners.  The bike course tour is always a good time and I'll be in for 2015 again for sure.  And as always, there will be some *ahem*, special beverages, in the medical tent for any of my BT friends who want them after the race.  Safe training to all!

Hey!  I somehow missed the refreshments when I was hanging out in the finish line med tent in '09.  

I was kidnapped by a pair of BT'ers who drove me around the course that year.  It's a lot different riding a bike versus the car.  

2015-01-17 12:10 PM
in reply to: pagesculptor

User image

Elite

Hello!  I'm in for IM CDA!  This will be my first full Ironman.  I'm doing IM St. George 70.3 on May 2--anyone else doing both?  I did St. George last year and absolutely loved it!  I jumped on the double registration deal months ago.  So excited that training is here!

2015-01-18 5:17 PM
in reply to: ironjim

Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta

44 today and just signed up for Ironman Coeur d'Alene and Ironman Louisville!  These will be my 4th and 5th full IM distance races and am pumped for this racing year!

Happy training all!

TW

2015-01-29 3:20 PM
in reply to: tbwilliams

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
How's everyone doing training wise? Everyone feeling good?
2015-01-31 10:42 AM
in reply to: smithe68

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Here's a great link for water temps of Lake CDA https://www.lakecoeurdalene.com/weather-water-temperature/

I jumped in during a polar plunge on New Years Day at around 40 degrees, good times.
2015-02-01 11:44 AM
in reply to: smithe68

User image

Elite

Yikes...that's cold!  I hope it's warmer by the end of June!  Does anyone else's official training begin this week?  Mine does--20 weeks to go!  Waaahooooo!

2015-02-01 3:08 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by ingleshteechur

Yikes...that's cold!  I hope it's warmer by the end of June!  Does anyone else's official training begin this week?  Mine does--20 weeks to go!  Waaahooooo!

Usually low 60's, I don't remember what they said officially for 2012 but I believe it was about 56 that year. 2013 the water was wonderful! My plan officially starts the week of the 9th, which I show as being 20 weeks out?
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56

Started by mallen4574
Views: 138438 Posts: 1392

2012-07-13 1:04 PM thedallasceliac

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 382388 Posts: 4272

2011-12-05 11:46 AM RunRene

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53

Started by T in Liberty Lake
Views: 134337 Posts: 1313

2012-07-26 8:19 PM smithe68

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

Started by Lance 140.6
Views: 3632 Posts: 10

2010-04-08 10:16 PM hoopmaj

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61104 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 17, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 0
Athletes were buzzing around, adding last minute things to their transition bags. The sidewalks and grassy areas are filled with spectators and cameras. Announcements were being made.

date : July 10, 2007
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.
date : May 11, 2007
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.

date : April 12, 2007
The first month of training is in the books. I am learning several tips that could help you along the way on your Ironman quest.
date : April 12, 2007
How BT is preparing me for the Coeur d'Alene IronMan.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Ironman Couer d'Alene 2003 - Inspirational first ironman triathlon devoted to his wife battling cancer.