General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2015-05-26 11:01 AM
in reply to: Flyboy

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
HI everyone!!

im racing ironman coeur d´alene for my first time, im traveling all the way from Colombia, South America with one friend and our families.

ill be arriving to Seattle, and rented a car there. does anyone know how long is the drive from seattle to coeur dalene? what is the best route?

any advice is definitely appreciated.

another question that i have is this: whats your take on using a rear disc wheel? its extremely hilly were we live, but am unsure if its best to use a normal deep section wheel o the disc.

take care everyone, hope to see you all on race day.

2015-05-26 1:56 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

The drive from Sea-Tac airport to Coeur d'Alene is fairly simple, just get to Interstate 90 (I-90) and go east for about 5 hours.  It will take you straight into Coeur d'Alene.

As for the race, yes I recommend using the disc wheel if you can pack it safely for travel.

Edited by spudone 2015-05-26 1:56 PM
2015-05-26 2:18 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Great!!! thanks

any plans on doing the swim course and bike course, from the 25 to the 27?

let me know and we can head out together.

anyone?
2015-05-26 6:22 PM
in reply to: migolarte

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Not sure why I haven't noticed there was movement on this thread? Anyway, I can drive as well if needed. I don't have a roomy vehicle, Toyota Tacoma Access Cab but there are two jump seats w/seatbelts that will work for the drive. If I can drive with my three sons, the shortest of which is 6'5", then I suspect it will be ok for a cramped "short" drive.
2015-05-27 5:14 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Originally posted by migolarte Great!!! thanks any plans on doing the swim course and bike course, from the 25 to the 27? let me know and we can head out together. anyone?

There is a group that will be driving the bike course on Friday, the 26th, we'd love to have you go along if you'd like.  The people driving are locals who know the course well and can give you some pointers along the way.  PM me here if you're interested and we'll add you to the list.

2015-05-27 9:32 AM

User image

Hi

add me to the list, im very interested in doing the route since its my first time traveling to coeur d´alene.

hows the training going?

2015-05-27 11:16 AM

Master
, California

Originally posted by migolarte Hi add me to the list, im very interested in doing the route since its my first time traveling to coeur d´alene. hows the training going?

Just adding one more thing, since you live far away.  If you're not used to swimming in cold water, buy a neoprene cap for Coeur d'Alene.  Sometimes they sell out fast at the expo so it's better to bring one with you.

2015-05-28 3:25 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by migolarte Hi add me to the list, im very interested in doing the route since its my first time traveling to coeur d´alene. hows the training going?

Just adding one more thing, since you live far away.  If you're not used to swimming in cold water, buy a neoprene cap for Coeur d'Alene.  Sometimes they sell out fast at the expo so it's better to bring one with you.

That's normally very true; however, the water this year will be record book warm I think.  It's already warmer than at least 2 of the times I've raced here.  2 weeks ago the water was 58 degrees and we've had several 75-80 degree days since then with lots more to come if the forecast is to be believed.  The water is very pleasant to swim in already and we have another month to go until race day.  It may be warm enough this year that a neoprene cap will cause you to be too warm...a first for IMCDA I think.  Won't hurt to have a cap available if you're worried about cool water but you most likely won't need one.  Safe training and travels to everyone.

2015-05-28 3:26 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Great, you're in, glad to have you. 

2015-05-29 6:34 PM

User image

Thanks for the great tips, i hope to see you all.

Any good places to eat?

what are some good things to do after the race?

2015-05-29 11:50 PM

Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta

Looking forward to meeting other IMCDA first timers.  I'll also be able to drive (RAV4) but need a local to direct me.

Cheers!  Bib #1611

2015-05-30 9:49 PM
in reply to: tbwilliams

User image

Bib #1778 here. 45-49 male. This will be my third IM and will be my first of three IM that I am doing this year (IM Muskoka and IM Lake Tahoe are next).
2015-06-02 6:21 PM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Hi athletes! Twice a week until race week, we're going to do our best to update you with water temperatures in Lake Coeur d’Alene. We've been experiencing abnormally warm temperatures recently! As of today, the temperature was 66.2 degrees F per a storm we had yesterday.

Posted on the IMCDA Facebook page this afternoon.  Temps are forecasted to hit 90F here by Sunday, it's going to be a warm one in the water this year.

2015-06-05 5:32 PM

User image

is anyone in Coeur Dalene??

any weather tips are appreciated, wind, heat, etc.

hows the training going?
2015-06-06 5:34 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Yep, live here.  It's been an unusually warm year so far but the weather here is difficult to predict much more than 3-4 days ahead of time.  You should bring clothing for most any temperature between the upper 50'sF to the upper 90'sF.  The first year I raced here it was 98 degrees; I've also seen years where by mid-evening it's in the upper 40's and raining.  That being said, given the warmth of the year so far, it may be a very warm race day.  For sure the water temp will be warmer than any other race so far.  The wind, especially on the bike course can be pretty tough sometimes.  It's usually a headwind heading south from town but then you have a tailwind on the way back.  More often than not the water is fairly calm; however, it can get pretty blustery occasionally in the early mornings too and then the water gets a little crazy.  I know this doesn't give too many concrete answers but there really aren't any to give.  Be prepared for just about anything and you'll be fine. 

2015-06-08 3:55 PM

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
Howdy Flyboy??
Just signed up as medical tent volunteer. 4-8 slot. Better late than never.
Can I tag along for the start too?

2015-06-08 4:43 PM
in reply to: MRGIBBS

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Originally posted by MRGIBBS Howdy Flyboy?? Just signed up as medical tent volunteer. 4-8 slot. Better late than never. Can I tag along for the start too? [/QUOTE

Hey, glad to have you again this year!  And yeah, you're welcome to be down there with me for the start, look forward to seeing you.

2015-06-08 11:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d' Alene, ID
I hope to see nether of you till the end of the race. just saying.
2015-06-09 8:52 AM
in reply to: mark.evans

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Originally posted by mark.evans I hope to see nether of you till the end of the race. just saying.

That's ok with me too Mark!  But after the race come in and say hi and get a beverage if you'd like.  Hope you have an awesome race!

2015-06-13 12:21 PM

User image

Elite

Hey everyone!  Two weeks out--how's everyone feeling?  My body is definitely tired but feeling strong--slow, but strong!  I'm having alternating feelings of pure excitement and pure terror thinking ahead to the day!  Mostly excitement though!  I guess we're all heading into that weird mind/body space of taper madness. Stay safe these next two weeks!  Bubble wrap for all of us!

2015-06-16 6:02 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by ingleshteechur

Hey everyone!  Two weeks out--how's everyone feeling?  My body is definitely tired but feeling strong--slow, but strong!  I'm having alternating feelings of pure excitement and pure terror thinking ahead to the day!  Mostly excitement though!  I guess we're all heading into that weird mind/body space of taper madness. Stay safe these next two weeks!  Bubble wrap for all of us!

Feeling pretty great myself although taper is a weird place for sure! I need bubble wrap, I managed to bang my knee and wrist yesterday hauling a bunch of stuff in my truck the dump. It was dumb and I should have waited. My left shoulder wasn't too happy with me during my swim this morning either but it loosened up by the end.

I forgot, for the drive next week, I may have a car with better seating then my truck if we need it.

Edited by smithe68 2015-06-16 6:05 PM

2015-06-17 8:46 AM
in reply to: smithe68

User image

I am starting my drive to CdA on Sunday morning. I will be in town by Tuesday. I am staying Tuesday to Tuesday. I am going to spend some time checking things out and doing the tourist stuff. I have been looking at the temperatures and I am not liking the mid 90's for daytime highs. We need a cold front to move through on race day.
2015-06-17 11:20 AM
in reply to: DeVinci13

User image

Hi everyone, reporting from Colombia

Taper started, its a weird time for sure.

Ill be arriving to coeur dealene on the 25th. Where is the meeting point and time for the bike course recon on the 26th? Is somebody else going to do it o the 27th also?

Is there anybody going to do the swim course on the 26th and 27th?

Looking forward to meeting you all.

Take care!!!!
2015-06-18 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Originally posted by migolarte Hi everyone, reporting from Colombia Taper started, its a weird time for sure. Ill be arriving to coeur dealene on the 25th. Where is the meeting point and time for the bike course recon on the 26th? Is somebody else going to do it o the 27th also? Is there anybody going to do the swim course on the 26th and 27th? Looking forward to meeting you all. Take care!!!!

Hi, just sent you a PM with bike course tour info, safe travels on your way to CDA!

2015-06-18 9:40 AM
in reply to: ironjim

Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta

Howdy all!

During my swim this morning, my coach put in to my plan sighting every 3-4 strokes.  Trusting this but wondering with OWS, how often you all are sighting?  Last year at IMC (Whistler), I went way off course and added several hundred meters to my swim total.  Partially don't trust the garmin but know I was swimming like I golf (left, right, left, right...).

Happy tapering!

TW

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 6

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56

Started by mallen4574
Views: 138475 Posts: 1392

2012-07-13 1:04 PM thedallasceliac

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 382587 Posts: 4272

2011-12-05 11:46 AM RunRene

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53

Started by T in Liberty Lake
Views: 134396 Posts: 1313

2012-07-26 8:19 PM smithe68

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

Started by Lance 140.6
Views: 3638 Posts: 10

2010-04-08 10:16 PM hoopmaj

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61189 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 17, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 0
Athletes were buzzing around, adding last minute things to their transition bags. The sidewalks and grassy areas are filled with spectators and cameras. Announcements were being made.

date : July 10, 2007
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.
date : May 11, 2007
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.

date : April 12, 2007
The first month of training is in the books. I am learning several tips that could help you along the way on your Ironman quest.
date : April 12, 2007
How BT is preparing me for the Coeur d'Alene IronMan.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:
date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Ironman Couer d'Alene 2003 - Inspirational first ironman triathlon devoted to his wife battling cancer.