General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Piriformis Syndrome Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-04 8:02 AM

Subject: Piriformis Syndrome
Hello all,

I realize that this topic could go in the Injury forum, but I am hoping I might get a bit more traffic here.

So I am just over half-way through my training plan for an October marathon, my first. The past two weeks have a been a bit tough training wise. I am tired, and it has been a really busy three to four weeks, professionally and personally. I have missed two runs in the past two weeks, one long and one medium. I intentionally bagged them, hoping it would let me get a little rest and get back to feeling 100%.

So yesterday I am on my long run, which was supposed to be 15 miles. About 4 miles in, my left glute got tight. I slowed down a little, which helped. But at about 7.25 miles it came back and it was strong enough to make me walk. I tried to run after walking a bit and I could not get things loosened up. I tried to stretch it out but ultimately limped home.

My current shoes have around 700 miles on them, and I knew I needed some new kicks. So I picked up new shoes yesterday, as well as a rolling stick. Used the stick on my glutes some yesterday. I was really hoping new shoes would help a bit, as my the current shoes were really worn out.

This morning I go to do one of my short runs (supposed to be 6). I start off and the glute is really tight, but it loosens up after about a half mile. I also dial the pace back. Once I start to hit some hills, though, my left glute gets tight again. I stopped at 5 miles. I rolled it some at the house and then on the way into work this morning, I am thinking like it almost feels like my sciatic nerve. I use to have a sciatic nerve problem on my right side back when I would sit on my wallet while driving (years ago), and it felt just like that.

So I hop on the Goggle this morning and come across this page on runnersworld: http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-treatment/pain-butt

This pretty much describes my symptoms perfectly, Piriformis Syndrome.

Does anyone have any experience with this? If so, how did you handle it? The article talks about stretching, reducing volume by about half, and staying away from hills. I really do not want to reduce volume, but I think I am going to the remainder of this week and see if I can get this under control. I think I will also move to the treadmill the rest of the week to stay off of any hills.

If anyone has any thoughts, I am all ears!

Thanks,
Matt

2014-08-04 8:26 AM
in reply to: mstimpson

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Piriformis Syndrome

I hadn't run in 2 weeks due to it and my race it 1 month away.
I am finding the foam rolling to be the most effective. Sit on the roller. Left leg bent at 90deg, foot on right knee.
Lean torso over to left side and you should be able to get the roller under tight spot and roll it out.

1 Art session, ultra sound, needles/electric stimulation seemed to help. I am scheduled for another session Wed.

I believe Fred D is quite knowledgeable on the topic. Feel to PM me if you want more, I read the forums a little less these days.
2014-08-04 8:34 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Just curious as to what shoes you got 700 miles out of. That seems like a lot for most shoes, especially depending on one's fitness levels. If you run a lot all of the time, it might not be a huge deal, but if you had been running <100 miles a month up until a couple of months ago, it could be a combo of coming on too fast with some dead shoes. I'll check your logs to see if there is anything there.

Sorry that my response doesn't have any treatment advice, at least it'll help keep you at the top!
2014-08-04 8:37 AM
in reply to: marcag

I have a tens machine at home from when I had to have my clavicle put back together. I used that some yesterday (forgot to mention in OP). It seems to help. I will continue to use it.
2014-08-04 8:42 AM
in reply to: Danno77

Originally posted by Danno77

Just curious as to what shoes you got 700 miles out of. That seems like a lot for most shoes, especially depending on one's fitness levels. If you run a lot all of the time, it might not be a huge deal, but if you had been running <100 miles a month up until a couple of months ago, it could be a combo of coming on too fast with some dead shoes. I'll check your logs to see if there is anything there.

Sorry that my response doesn't have any treatment advice, at least it'll help keep you at the top!

Asics, Gt 1000s...I can't remember the exact style. I tend to run in shoes until they look like and feel like they are done. My logs are up to date for 2014. But I was not running at this volume previously.
2014-08-04 8:43 AM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Did you really run 65 miles that second week in July? If so, that's nuts given your previous month had been about half that per week! I bet that week alone could have set this all in motion!

2014-08-04 8:49 AM

Did you really run 65 miles that second week in July? If so, that's nuts given your previous month had been about half that per week! I bet that week alone could have set this all in motion!

Yes but there is a "but". So my long run is on Sunday and my rest day is typically Saturday. That week, I had to fly early on Sunday morning, and I knew I would not want to do my long run once I got off the plane. So I did my long run on Saturday and my rest day on Sunday. So while that week on the logs it looks like a 65 mile week, it really was more like 50. The following week then you will notice the volume was lower because the long run is not counted in there. That really should look more like two weeks around 50 miles or so.
2014-08-04 8:52 AM

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Originally posted by mstimpson

Yes but there is a "but". So my long run is on Sunday and my rest day is typically Saturday. That week, I had to fly early on Sunday morning, and I knew I would not want to do my long run once I got off the plane. So I did my long run on Saturday and my rest day on Sunday. So while that week on the logs it looks like a 65 mile week, it really was more like 50. The following week then you will notice the volume was lower because the long run is not counted in there. That really should look more like two weeks around 50 miles or so.

Sorry that I didn't catch that! But, yeah, good call on the new shoes. 700 miles is definitely on the high end for those. I guess if you aren't getting injured doing what you've been doing, who am I to judge, but dang I'd have thought they'd be toast at more like 400 for a runner of your level, and less for a runner of my level (it's amazing how poor mechanics can kill a shoe!)
2014-08-04 8:53 AM

New user
Key West
I have had piriformis syndrome with the sciatica and butt pain and swear by the stretches that you should be able to find by Googling treatment options or physical therapy for PS. I am not much of a roller user, so the stretches and also self massage using my own hand in a fist on the painful spot (or a tennis ball) can really help in an acute case. But I would say doing the stretches daily (usually nighttime before bed) has what has helped me most in keeping this issue from reoccuring. You definitely want to try to take it a bit easier until you loosen the area up a bit. Otherwise, it will, as you have seen absolutely stop you in your tracks on your run.
2014-08-04 8:54 AM

Originally posted by mstimpson

Sorry that I didn't catch that! But, yeah, good call on the new shoes. 700 miles is definitely on the high end for those. I guess if you aren't getting injured doing what you've been doing, who am I to judge, but dang I'd have thought they'd be toast at more like 400 for a runner of your level, and less for a runner of my level (it's amazing how poor mechanics can kill a shoe!)

I am pretty freaking cheap, and I will wait until the last moment to replace shoes....you should see my Birkenstocks!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Piriformis Syndrome Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Piriformis=thank you

Started by wee scotty
Views: 494 Posts: 2

2010-08-04 9:48 AM Chr15

Training with Piriformis/Sciatica Pages: 1 2

Started by wildred
Views: 6820 Posts: 26

2012-03-25 10:45 PM Hot Runner

Running with piriformis syndrome

Started by wildred
Views: 4519 Posts: 20

2009-11-06 2:13 PM jgerbodegrant

"Lead Leg Syndrome"

Started by tntexpres
Views: 1874 Posts: 9

2006-10-06 2:18 PM Global

ITB Syndrome

Started by kpar
Views: 607 Posts: 3

2006-07-06 4:42 PM runningfoo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
My left leg is significantly shorter than my right by 7mm. For the bike I got an extra shim in my cleat, so I'm wondering if orthotics would be called for in my running shoes?

date : June 25, 2010
comments : 0
I rode 20 miles on the bike and I was 0.1 miles into my run when I experienced a hot shooting pain deep in my left glute that radiated down the back of my leg.
date : May 21, 2010
comments : 1
Rolling, icing, A.R.T. and P.T. No running, now what? Piriformis Syndrome has been ongoing since July, is there any one out there who has any other suggestions?

date : May 21, 2010
Woke up at 7am and physically could not walk. Pain was shooting in my knee (almost dropped me to my knees). Later I went to my sports doc. He could not simulate the pain whatsoever.
date : January 3, 2008
comments : 0
Hip or pelvic pain is a common complaint for runners and can range from severe problems, such as stress fractures or arthritis, to mild problems, such as muscle strains or bursitis.

date : September 3, 2006
If you are one of those athletes, and the compartments don’t easily expand, the pressure within increases with exercise. This can stress the muscle as well as the nerves and blood vessels.
date : June 5, 2006
comments : 1
How can gluteus medius weakness/problems be involved in iliotibial band syndrome? What specific exercises should be used in building gluteus medius strength in post-ITB syndrome treatment?