General Discussion Triathlon Talk » this morning-diagnosed with asthma Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-08-17 9:12 PM
in reply to: #512646

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: this morning-diagnosed with asthma
great information. thanks

2006-08-17 9:38 PM
in reply to: #512449

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

I was diagnosed with asthma at age 30 or 31...I can't remember.  Mostly my symptoms are shortness of breath and chest tightness and/or pain, but this year I am wheezier than I was last year.  Still, it hasn't kept me from doing most of the things I want to. 

High intensity running, especially track work, is problematic for me though.  I've yet to come up with a solution, although a long warmup helps a ton

One thing that has helped, along with my controller meds, is practicing yoga.   I seem t o have fewer problems when I practice regularly (which I haven't been doing, maybe why I am wheezier?)  As previously stated, air quality has a huge impact, at least on me.  I've never been diagnosed with allergies.

2006-08-17 9:52 PM
in reply to: #512449

THANK YOU EVERYONE for your replies!!! i can't tell you how much i appreciate all your information and support :D

i am still kind of freaked about having asthma, but today i ran 3 miles in 28 minutes, a personal best for me! it took me all year to be able to run that fast, and the run felt great, not hugely impossible like every time before. the kind of out of breath that i experienced today was different than i had all the other times. before i started with the asmanex inhaler and proventil i would feel like an old lady hunched over, even breathing through pursed lips like i had emphysema or something. today i felt a real burn, a good burn, a-getting-better-at-this exertion burn

amazing! i always thought i was being a sissy or giving up when i couldn't do my workouts like i knew i should or wasn't progressing like i should have been. now i will!!!

i am surprised at how common asthma is too. it is comforting to see not just average joes but hard core athletes living with it and doing well with it to boot!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » this morning-diagnosed with asthma Rss Feed  

of 2