General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Kansas City Beginner Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-04 10:34 AM

Subject: Kansas City Beginner
Hello!

I am 27 years old from downtown Kansas City and am considering doing my first triathlon in 2015. Im at a point in my life where I feel like I need to do something physical that will make me question myself and make me go to depths that I havent had to go since my collegiate football days.

I know nothing about triathlons other than it involves swimming, biking and running. I have watched a few Iron Mans on TV though.

Any advise would be excellent! While a sprint distance would be ideal for my first triathlon I feel like I should set my goals higher and do the olympic distance.

What budget friendly bikes would everyone recommend? What are some important things I should know or be aware of?

2014-08-04 3:31 PM
in reply to: SB.816

User image

Aledo, Texas
Subject: RE: Kansas City Beginner
Welcome! BT is a great place to pick up all kinds of advice. Like you, I'm new to the tri scene and also have a goal of doing my first tri in 2015.

I obviously don't have any tri experience, but I do have a ton of running experience. Many of the principles of becoming a runner should translate to biking and swimming. First (and most importantly), it is good to slowly build up. One of the biggest causes of injury is putting too much stress on your body too quickly. So, from that standpoint, maybe your first tri should be a sprint. Training for the sprint will give you a good starting point to either 1) race subsequent sprints or 2) move on the olympic distance. I am fairly fit and will still start with a sprint, but with an eye toward doing some olympic distances later in the year.

Second, find a good beginner's training plan. BT has several available (I can't vouch for any of them). Read the plan carefully - you'll see that the plans assume you can already do a certain level of activity in each sport. It's important to be very honest with yourself about your current ability. If you can't do the minimum level of activity the plans require, there is no shame in that at all. You can start a "couch to" program for that (or each) sport so that you will have the fitness required for the actual tri plan. BT has a beginner's swimming module that is a three-month plan (I think) that I'm doing right now. It also has a couch to 5k type program for running. I have personally coached some couch to 5k runners using the plan found here: https://eastnasty.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/eastnasty_p2t_2014_tra...
Unfortunately, I have not seen something similar for biking, but I have no doubt there are some out there.

Third, make sure you give yourself rest days. It goes back to that first point - injuries occur from overuse. Also, you don't become a faster runner/cyclist/swimmer by doing those sports hard. You become faster by recovering from doing those sports (mostly easy, with targeted hard efforts). As you grow more fit, your rest can become less frequent, but you still need it.

As to your question about the bike, I had the same question. The most important thing to do is get a bike that fits you. Go to a local bike shop and check a few out and have the store give you an idea of what size you should be on. You can then shop around bike shops and compare prices, and you'll be able to more accurately check listings on BT and Craigslist. I ended up getting a used Fuji road bike at a local tri store, and the guy there recommended that I start with a road bike. The shop should ask you about your current ability and intended use. You can end up spending a lot on the bike and on accessories. I got flat pedals and did not get the cage or flat repair kit. I will certainly get a cage and the flat kit very soon (I've had the bike just three weeks), and would recommend you get that. You don't need gloves or clipless pedals/shoes, although I hear they make a big difference. You also don't need bike or tri shorts, but they do reduce chafing. At a minimum, get some body glide and lube up around your crotch.

As a fellow newbie, I hope this helps. Please keep me posted on your development, and good luck!
2014-08-06 3:05 PM
in reply to: SB.816

I'm way new to all this too, but I've done enough to know that sometimes the questions you have....you're sometimes afraid to ask, or might not know to ask unless you're hanging around with someone who's done at least one or five.

1. There will be portapotties.
2. If you're at all concerned with finishing or the mechanics of how the race works, etc....you can always find races that will note that they are "great for beginners" or something similar on the websites.
3. Just about any bike will do on a sprint. I've used a hybrid on a near Olympic length and wasn't the only one. Also, places rent bikes. Tri bikes are great...for triathlons. Not so great for most riding around town. If you're looking for value, and want to ride outside of "training" and actual racing, consider a road bike.
4. You can't wear headphones, so music is pretty much out of the question. You won't miss it.
5. If you've never done an open water swim and that's what you're signing up for, try to get one in before you race...somehow. Not because you need the practice. It's the confidence. It's nice to go into it knowing it's really just not that big of a deal.
6. If you don't even sniff the top of your age group. THAT'S OK. Most of the people in a given 'local' race don't even really think about their placing, other than to just kinda see where they stack up.

You don't need to go hog wild on spending either:
My first race....my regular old hybrid bike, a swimsuit (long speedo I got on clearance after the local swim teams were all kitted out), my kid's swim team goggles, swim cap provided by the race, running shoes, t-shirt. I did buy a race belt. <$10. Way easier than safety pins and more comfortable.

I think I felt like I looked a little out of place, but nobody is paying that kind of attention to you and almost to a person, they all seem excited that you're joining the fun.
2015-01-13 5:18 PM
in reply to: #5034692

New user

Hi SB.816, what tri resources have you found locally in your search? I am a newbie and am hoping to finish my first triathlon(s) in 2015. I am in the KC area (Shawnee currently) and would love to meet up to bike at some point when the weather gets a little warmer (I hear 50-60 degrees this weekend?). PM me if you would like to meet up or share any insights you may have on the local tri scene. Thanks and all the best in 2015! --KV
2015-01-14 7:17 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Welcome, I'm 28 and live in KC. I'd recommend watching the Kansas thread on beginner triathlete. There are a number of us that post rides and runs throughout the year.

Good luck with training.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Kansas City Beginner Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New to BT & livin' in the Kansas City area

Started by tdstewKC
Views: 963 Posts: 6

2007-03-11 1:23 AM reesd

new to Tri - Kansas city

Started by tri-dg
Views: 640 Posts: 4

2007-02-02 8:39 PM run joe run

Hello from Kansas City (Blue Springs)

Started by mars
Views: 901 Posts: 10

2007-01-14 7:23 PM triOK

Newbie in Kansas City

Started by LindaKC
Views: 675 Posts: 9

2006-07-27 8:26 PM LindaKC

New to tri in Kansas City

Started by shawn barr
Views: 692 Posts: 9

2005-08-22 6:51 PM shawn barr
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 7, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Intervals help a runner manage the intensity and learn to push at a pace that’s out of their comfort zone. Learn these five intervals with example workouts.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
Practice these three workouts each week for 4 weeks. Just complete the workouts and notice the changes to your stroke.
date : January 10, 2005
author : Ken
comments : 7
Don't worry, you can't do anything that hasn't been done before. Read this article for some humorous insights of one triathlete's introduction to the sport.