Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Dog question -- WWCOJD -- URGENT! At wits end... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-05 6:24 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: Dog question -- WWCOJD -- URGENT! At wits end...

So, we adopted a dog.  We were told that it was a basset/lab mix.  Turns out that she is 100% coondog.  Coondogs are not meant for suburban life.  Hunting, climbing trees, baying at varmints.  That is their life.  http://www.coonhound911.org/info/display?PageID=2372

She has eaten our family room furniture, our outdoor furniture, she pees in her crate at random times (about once/week).  She wakes up at 5am every day and won't go to sleep until 11pm.  And yes, we walked or run with her almost every day, and spend time training her.  She learns new tricks in about 5 minutes.

I have owned golden retrievers who wallowed in the mud, a St Bernard who shedded, tried to eat other dogs, and was a great big mess, and an English Springer who was a handful to train.  All of them are nothing compared to this one.

I am ready to give her back to the rescue, but I cannot imagine that they will find her an appropriate home.  She needs to be out in the country with someone who has owned this breed before.

Edited by pga_mike 2014-08-05 6:25 PM

2014-08-05 6:27 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Dog question -- WWCOJD -- URGENT! At wits end...

Originally posted by pga_mike

So, we adopted a dog.  We were told that it was a basset/lab mix.  Turns out that she is 100% coondog.  Coondogs are not meant for suburban life.  Hunting, climbing trees, baying at varmints.  That is their life.  http://www.coonhound911.org/info/display?PageID=2372

She has eaten our family room furniture, our outdoor furniture, she pees in her crate at random times (about once/week).  She wakes up at 5am every day and won't go to sleep until 11pm.  And yes, we walked or run with her almost every day, and spend time training her.  She learns new tricks in about 5 minutes.

I have owned golden retrievers who wallowed in the mud, a St Bernard who shedded, tried to eat other dogs, and was a great big mess, and an English Springer who was a handful to train.  All of them are nothing compared to this one.

I am ready to give her back to the rescue, but I cannot imagine that they will find her an appropriate home.  She needs to be out in the country with someone who has owned this breed before.

You're right.....so find someone.

2014-08-05 6:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite

Can you put an ad in CL and try to find her a good home yourself? We had a rescue dog that was part Pit and ate two other dogs. One of them was mine. She was very very skidish and that was never going to change. They are born like that.  So we had to give her back to the rescue. That is what they wanted. Now she is the owners personal dog... and yes, she has tore into other dogs there too.

So I can certainly empathize. It is a horrible decision. I thought of her as my special needs dog and that we were giving her a home that nobody else would. But it was the right decision. But just a super high energy dog... well, that's no easier. It will change in about 10 years.

When we got our first house growing up, my dad wanted another dog. But my mom didn't want a dog in her new house. We went to the pound anyway. My dad said he needed a super mellow dog that would be no problem. We found a good one that was very very mellow and took him home. He was grey and looked old. Once home... and the tranquilizers wore off... he was bonkers. He was a 1.5 year old Norigian Elkhound male. Those males will fight any male dog on sight... immediately. He tore into a few dogs. He was a roamer and a high escape risk. We had to keep him in the yard. He ate everything in the house. And he barked at everything. He was a hunting dog, and they bark at Elk until the hunters show up. 10 years later my Mom finally got the old mellow dog we intended to get. He was a great dog... but he was a handful. They are what they are. And they will do what they do. Sorry.

Edited by powerman 2014-08-05 6:41 PM
2014-08-06 9:12 AM
in reply to: powerman

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Go on CL or FB and you should be able to find someone who wants to have an outdoor dog and have the land to make it happen.

2014-08-06 4:50 PM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Bronze member

I have had experiences like yours and we found the dogs new homes or returned them to the shelter. Both were shelter dogs. The first was a boarder collie. She was a great dog but needed to work like you are saying. All was fine when we brought her home because we lived in the country near my in-laws so she had 13 acres, woods and 2 ponds to roam and 3 other dogs to herd around. She was the smallest of those dogs but she would circle them and bark until they were all huddled in a little circle. Then we moved to a neighborhood and adopted a baby. Now we had a working dog without enough work to do living closed up in a house with a baby learning to crawl. Lucky for us my in-laws took her in so she went right back to the country where she grew up and we still got to see her all the time. She was much better off but every time we went to visit she would sit by my car door when it was time to leave almost like she was waiting to go home with us this time .

Dog #2 was a chihuahua we adopted last summer and took back to the shelter this summer. He could not get along with strangers especially kids. We have kids in and out of our house all the time and he got so bad he was lunging at them. He chased a little girl right out of the garage, sent her home screaming while he was jumping and growling at the back of her legs. That was the last straw because we had already tried taking him to a trainer for a week long visit, making sure he got his walks and all that. We tried to keep him in the kennel if we knew someone was coming over but sometimes the kids just show up and we couldn't live in fear that the dog was really going to bite someone. It felt like we were trying and the dog was NOT.

Hard to make that decision for sure and I don't envy the position your in. Good luck.

2014-08-08 11:25 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

We are contacting the rescue. 

Yesterday, she ate her collar, broke through the fence, woke up at 4:20 am yelping and peed a quart in her crate in the middle of the day.  That same day, we went for a 5 mile run in the morning and I taught her a new trick in the afternoon.

I give!

2014-08-14 1:20 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Pro

google "coon hound rescue" and you'll find a number of organizations who find homes for these dogs.

(they are very cute)

2014-08-19 9:31 PM
in reply to: #5035602

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Man, I feel for you. A few years back we adopted what was billed as a Basset mix, but what wasn't obvious until we got him home was that the mix was foxhound. Turned out he wasn't house broken, wasn't trained, and loved to chase the cats (he was billed as being fine in all three categories). He was super high energy for a home with 2 working adults. Runs every morning, 4 hour playgroup every afternoon, obedience training, and we still almost called the rescue back. But we gave him some time and he mellowed a bit, and then around 2.5-3 years old a switch went off and now he's super lazy all the time. Your problems sound way worse than ours, though. Ultimately you both need to be happy, and if the fit isn't right, it's not fair to either of you to keep going just for the sake of not quitting.

All that said, PLEASE do not rehome via something like craigslist; that's one way dogs end up in very bad places. It sounds like you've already done this, but contact the rescue and they should take him back.
2014-08-20 10:35 AM
in reply to: Fourteenkittens

User image

Pro
Tejas
Our rescue hound made a new friend last night. Poor pup is at the vet this morning!

(photo-8.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
photo-8.JPG (89KB - 0 downloads)
2014-08-22 12:42 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
We have taken in a few rescues over the years and have long since learned to ignore what they say as the breed. If my wife and I can't tell what it is we pass. Good example: our newest was billed as a Canadian Lab. He is a lab mix and pretty sure Canada has nothing to do with it (sarcasm!). As for your situation, you need to take it back and they need to find a home that has space for him to run. I realize rescue places have little space, run on a tight budget, and need all the help they can get but it sounds like your situation is not going to work out.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Dog question -- WWCOJD -- URGENT! At wits end... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Dog question for Yanti (or other dog people)

Started by verga
Views: 830 Posts: 8

2011-04-04 6:50 PM TriAya

WWCOJD - tax question

Started by houston-tri-mama
Views: 928 Posts: 21

2010-02-09 7:27 AM Its Only Money

Contractor Question - WWCOJD

Started by madcap95
Views: 1096 Posts: 20

2009-10-08 2:08 PM zed707

Dog Haven or Dog Heaven

Started by bigislandfj
Views: 778 Posts: 15

2007-06-05 8:45 PM Whizzzzz

cat starts fire, dog saves woman, dog dies trying to save cat Pages: 1 2

Started by autumn
Views: 1837 Posts: 32

2006-10-18 5:38 PM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2013
author : mistymills
comments : 5
Dog training techniques have surprising parallels to triathlon training and race preparation. All the lessons I THOUGHT were for my dogs started seeming very applicable to me! Here's what I learned.

date : April 16, 2008
author : Z-dog
comments : 0
Kona 2006 finishline triathlon wallpaper provided by Z-dog.
date : April 16, 2008
author : Z-dog
Kona 2006 Swim Exit triathlon wallpaper provided by Z-dog

date : December 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : July 17, 2005
author : ChiRunning
Running does not cause injury. Poor running form does. Running is more enjoyable, and safer if you know what you’re doing. And yes, even old dogs can learn new tricks.
date : May 3, 2005
author : AMSSM
During training and endurance events, athletes should be careful not to ingest more fluids than necessary.

date : April 3, 2005
comments : 1
Mark Allen, six time Ironman Champion, answers the most common questions beginners have in getting into triathlons.