General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Silver Comet advice - out & back vs. repeats Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-06 11:14 AM

User image

Regular
Avondale Estates
Subject: Silver Comet advice - out & back vs. repeats
I have a 6 hour ride coming up on my schedule, and planned to do it on the Silver Comet. Unfortunately, I've never been there (on the wrong side of town for me). Since I'm not familiar with water stops, bathrooms, etc., I'm looking for advice on the best way to ride it:

A - Ride out ~ 3hrs & return
B - Ride out ~1 hour, return, repeat 2X
C - Some other combination?

Option B would be nice since it would let me keep water & nutrition in the car, but repeats can be a bit boring. This will be a weekday in late August, so Cobb construction should be finished by then. Any suggestions - especially the best place to start from to minimize road crossings - appreciated.

- Kerry

Edited by wkparker 2014-08-06 11:44 AM

2014-08-06 3:54 PM
in reply to: wkparker

User image

Subject: RE: Silver Comet advice - out & back vs. repeats
I assume this is IM training? No one else in their right mind is riding 6 hrs...

That said, and assuming so, I'd say ride out about 1.5 hrs - that'll put you about mile 28-30 depending on your pace, and the ride back should put you back at your car at approximately 3 hrs into your ride, or around miles 56-60. I've found that's a perfect way to simulate "special needs" in an IM - you can have extra nutrition at your car (I personally go with a Snickers and a Redbull, but YMMV), and it's not too boring. Second lap just a repeat of the first.

As far as where to start, you're going to have a fair number of road crossings all the way out to about mile 11.5. Given that you're coming from the other side of town, I'd start at the trail head (0.0 - Nickajack Elementary). No sense in making it more complicated, IMO.
2014-08-07 8:14 AM
in reply to: cfib

User image

Regular
Avondale Estates
Originally posted by cfib

I assume this is IM training? No one else in their right mind is riding 6 hrs...

Is anyone on here in their right mind? Yes, training for B2B at the end of October, my first full-distance race.

That said, and assuming so, I'd say ride out about 1.5 hrs - that'll put you about mile 28-30 depending on your pace, and the ride back should put you back at your car at approximately 3 hrs into your ride, or around miles 56-60. I've found that's a perfect way to simulate "special needs" in an IM - you can have extra nutrition at your car (I personally go with a Snickers and a Redbull, but YMMV), and it's not too boring. Second lap just a repeat of the first.

As far as where to start, you're going to have a fair number of road crossings all the way out to about mile 11.5. Given that you're coming from the other side of town, I'd start at the trail head (0.0 - Nickajack Elementary). No sense in making it more complicated, IMO.

Thanks for the info and advice. I played around with the interactive map and it looks like the trail head or Floyd Road would both work pretty well for me. Since I'm planning a Friday ride, Floyd Road might be better to avoid the school traffic.

- Kerry
2014-08-07 8:29 AM
in reply to: wkparker

User image

I respectfully disagree. the trail gets prettier and nicer the further out you are. you can ride all the way to Alabama and get ~104miles RT. there are plenty of places to get water, snacks, etc.

I only ride the SCT so that I can get way out in the country and enjoy it. Its too hectic close to the start.
2014-08-07 9:35 AM
in reply to: Iwannarunlikeforrest

User image

Re: hectic - on a weekend, I'd agree with you. He's riding on a weekday, though. The trail will likely be pretty much vacant until about 5:00pm.
2014-08-07 2:40 PM
in reply to: cfib

User image

Regular
Avondale Estates

The trail will likely be pretty much vacant until about 5:00pm.

... and I plan to be long gone by then!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Silver Comet advice - out & back vs. repeats Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

GA Peeps: Jogger Attacked on Silver Comet Trail

Started by huengsolo
Views: 1072 Posts: 8

2005-12-22 12:47 PM huengsolo

Silver Comet Half Marathon - 10/29

Started by am6ja4
Views: 1059 Posts: 10

2005-10-27 5:21 PM sranney

Silver comet ride

Started by jrm
Views: 1064 Posts: 5