General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Duathlon learning to swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-06 4:43 PM

Subject: Duathlon learning to swim
Hello All,

Just joined this group today - as I am going to finally make the switch from duathlons to triathlons later this year. I do know how to float in the water, and I can doggy paddle with the best of them - just need to learn actual swimming strokes, so at 41 I am finally going to learn.

Signed up for 4 duathlon races this summer - I really enjoy cycling, running - well I try to enjoy it, but generally I am a better shorter distance (5km) then long distance.

This winter I am hitting the pool - looking forward to learning some tips and my first triathlon race in 2015, and I am flirting with the idea of a 1/2 ironman for the summer of 2016.

Best, Brigid

2014-08-08 2:15 PM
in reply to: brigidbedardhinz

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Duathlon learning to swim
Welcome!
You are in a better position than some. In my book, it is better to have no idea on swimming than a bunch of half-ideas and bad habits. Get some formal swim lessons before you start piling on any yardage whatsoever.
2014-08-08 6:34 PM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

, Wisconsin
Welcome Bridget. I think Swimbikeron is dead on. If you can get some lessons on freestyle, you'll progress much quicker. If you can't do lessons for whatever reason, make use of all the videos etc that teach stroke. And have fun!
2014-08-12 9:33 PM
in reply to: MikeD1

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Welcome from another beginner! I actually did my first duathlon recently and it was fun! I have my first triathlon in a few weeks and very excited to complete the race. I am looking at the same kind of schedule to yours. I am planning on a few triathlons (2-3) and either a half or full marathon for next season. If all goes well a HIM may be in store for the 2016 season but depending on how fast I want to get to that distance and depending on work, I may hold off until 2017. Good luck training this coming winter with swimming. I recently started swimming two months ago and it's been quite an adventure. I enjoy it a lot but unfortunately I have not gotten any formal training. I am meeting the distances just fine but likely not swimming as efficiently as I could. However, I plan to focus on getting the distance for my tri in 3 weeks and afterwards this winter work on my technique. I know it's a rather short distance to some but I felt like a fish after my first 1K swim this afternoon!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Duathlon learning to swim Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Brand new to the sport - just learning to swim

Started by e10607
Views: 487 Posts: 3

2013-04-25 6:30 AM PoleyPower

Swimming, very tough to learn.

Started by Trying to swim
Views: 2911 Posts: 16

2012-06-26 12:52 AM Joosse

New guy learning to swim

Started by Loosenut
Views: 694 Posts: 6

2012-03-16 9:44 PM GreenMtnLabbit

Starting tri if I can learn to swim

Started by sc25144
Views: 703 Posts: 2

2010-12-16 7:14 PM JoePetto

I'm new - learn to swim?

Started by lang0356
Views: 1729 Posts: 15

2007-11-06 10:37 AM weegmann
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 29, 2011
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
If swim workouts are much more trying than your bike and run workouts, try these tips

date : May 6, 2011
author : garyhallsr
Being comfortable in the water and knowing where your body parts are trump power and strength any day
date : December 2, 2010
author : Sara McLarty
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on open water swimming and four drills to help you better prepare for your event.

date : November 4, 2010
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on swimming tools and how best to use them. Includes pull buoys, kickboards, fins, paddles and snorkels.
date : October 5, 2010
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on the four major parts of the arm stroke in freestyle: Catch, Pull, Finish, & Recovery.

date : September 3, 2010
comments : 1
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on being efficient in the water. Learning how to swim smooth and efficiently is important to becoming a great swimmer.
date : August 2, 2010
comments : 19
This installment of the BT Swim Series will focus on breathing. Before you can swim fast, you must learn how to control your breathing so that easy swimming does not leave you gasping after one lap.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).