General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM WI Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-15 6:50 PM

User image

Master
Subject: IM WI
Well it's down to the wire - 26 days to go until I get out on the IM course for the first time. Truth be told, and with complete hidsight, I could not have picked a worse year to do my first Iron Man. When I decided to make the jump to iron distance my work - home - training balance was near perfect. I had planned out my training, and felt confident that I could get it done while still being a good husband - dad - employee.

Then it happened: work got busy in unexpected and unimaginable ways, we wound up buying and moving to a new house, and life brought on tons of other little surprises. (Visits to the ER with kids etc...) I have been living out of a suitcase for months, training in hotel gyms and generally not getting enough training in. I'm sure that I am going in to this race undertrained, and who knows what the results will be. Still I feel confident that given my life's circumstance I have done all I can to prepare. I couldn't take away any more time from my family in light of my work demands, and yet I still trained with regularity.

I have covered the swim distance, rode 100 miles at a pop, but unfortunately have not gotten in a run of more than 16 miles. Now I have started the long slow taper. Who knows what will happen on race day, but I have to say that despite all of the insanity I'm kind of happy I decided to make take on this challenge. It has made me realize how much I love this sport and how happy it makes me. Still, if I don't finish on September 10th the disappointment will be crushing. It's a lot of work to put in for DNF.

Not much point to this post except that I am feeling very "zen" about the tri experience right now. - I think I will go run.

Anyone else want to chime in with how they are feeling about IM WI?

2006-08-15 8:26 PM
in reply to: #512741

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: IM WI
I almost started a new IM WI thread this morning myself. It's getting pretty exciting as the date approaches. I've continued with my swim lessons and they are paying off huge dividends so I'm a lot more confident about getting a 60 min swim for the IM. One more swim race rehearsal and a 112 mi bike rehearsal this coming weekend then its time to start sharpening the axe. This will be my first IM as well.

Don't let those negative thoughts creep into your head MUL98. You've done the best you can with the cards you were dealt at home/job so just have confidence that you'll survive. Race day gives you whatever it gives you. Good luck and maybe we'll see you in Madison.
2006-08-16 8:08 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

MUL98,

The fact that you have managed to make it work is testament to your desire and fortitute to complete IM MOO.  It's not if, but WHEN you will cross that line.  You might feel undertrained for a specific time goal.  But I'm certain that you are trained more than adequately to finish.

Every time I look at the calender I tell it to stop going forward.  I, too, feel like I'm not ready.  But I think IM is one of those races that you are never totally ready for.  I'm nervous, anxious, worried and excited all in the stretch of about 30 seconds. 

I'm going to use the Mantra that my swim coach told me a coupld of weeks ago.  "You're not battling against the other swimmer, the other biker or the person across from you.  The only battle you have to win is the one against the negative demons in your own head.  When you beat them, you will WIN and hear the words, "You are an IronMan!"

In regards to the run, a 16 miler is fine.  Even most marathon training plans have you only go 20.  No biggie.  You've covered the distances and you WILL cover them on Sept 10th.  You will have the whole BT family on the course with you and watching pushing and pulling you along.  Have faith!

None of us will DNF!!!

2006-08-16 9:16 AM
in reply to: #512813

User image

Master
Birkierunner - 2006-08-15 8:26 PM

I almost started a new IM WI thread this morning myself. It's getting pretty exciting as the date approaches. I've continued with my swim lessons and they are paying off huge dividends so I'm a lot more confident about getting a 60 min swim for the IM. One more swim race rehearsal and a 112 mi bike rehearsal this coming weekend then its time to start sharpening the axe. This will be my first IM as well.

Don't let those negative thoughts creep into your head MUL98. You've done the best you can with the cards you were dealt at home/job so just have confidence that you'll survive. Race day gives you whatever it gives you. Good luck and maybe we'll see you in Madison.

60 minutes on the swim - very nice! I guesstimate that I will take about 1hour 20 min.
2006-08-16 10:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dana Point, California

Better to be 15% under-trained than 1% over-trained.  You will do just fine.  This is IM #2 for me, so I am really not nervous about the race.  I have executed my on my training, and I have several key workouts left that should have me at a peak on Spetember 10th.  One word of advice, don't "over-do" the taper.  Too many people go into a prolonged taper and actually show up to the race "flat", and with a loss of fitness.  We are not elite athletes that are really punishing our bodies into submission.  I am looking forward to my 2nd Epic bike outing this Saturday of 6.5 hours.

Hopefully we can meet up in Madison!

Lar Dog 

2006-08-16 3:27 PM
in reply to: #513272

User image

Elite
New City, New York

Bill,

You've stuck w/ it and have done the best you can. That's exactly what you'll do on race day too! September 10 you will be an Ironman!!!!

Mark 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM WI Rss Feed