General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is my tire screwed? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-07 4:35 PM

User image

Subject: Is my tire screwed?
I got my first flat of the season. When I stopped, I saw it was a screw embedded in the tire. (Robertson, 1 1/4 inch # 8 for those carpenters) I changed the tube and rode home but now I'm a bit concerned with the integrity of the tire itself. Is it going to fall apart sometime when I'm a long way from home? Is there anything I can do to plug up that hole?

2014-08-07 5:15 PM
in reply to: #5036666

Subject: RE: Is my tire screwed?
Oh shit! a robertson #8! those are rare... sorry, couldnt help it. try to fill the gap/ damage with superglue... at least thats what ive read.
2014-08-07 6:11 PM
in reply to: b2run

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC

I wrap my CO2 cartridges with duct tape to use on the inner portion of the tire.  Two layers of duct tape on the inner section of the tire where the hole is could work pretty well.

2014-08-07 6:28 PM

San Jose
Is the hole in the sidewall or more centered in the tread? I would try something that stays pliable/flexible, like Shoe Goo. The duct tape on the inside should work as well.

Clyde
2014-08-07 6:46 PM
in reply to: clydecat

User image

Can you post a picture of the hole while the tire is fully inflated?

2014-08-07 7:10 PM

User image

Look at tire boots. that's exactly what they're for.

2014-08-07 8:05 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro

Originally posted by DanielG Look at tire boots. that's exactly what they're for.

Tire boots.  Are they like this?

(20120420-tire boot 3.jpg)

(OB-KN475_michel_E_20101020180756.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20120420-tire boot 3.jpg (27KB - 2 downloads)
OB-KN475_michel_E_20101020180756.jpg (30KB - 1 downloads)
2014-08-07 8:38 PM

If its in the center of the bottom of the tire, you'll be fine assuming you can't see the tube when it's fully inflated. I had a screw go through a tire two seasons ago, and rode it for many miles after that.
2014-08-07 9:29 PM
in reply to: clydecat

User image

Originally posted by clydecat

Is the hole in the sidewall or more centered in the tread? I would try something that stays pliable/flexible, like Shoe Goo. The duct tape on the inside should work as well.

Clyde

It's on the tread. I'll try the goo and tape.
2014-08-08 7:35 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by b2run
Originally posted by clydecat Is the hole in the sidewall or more centered in the tread? I would try something that stays pliable/flexible, like Shoe Goo. The duct tape on the inside should work as well. Clyde

I carry a dollar bill in my saddle bag.  I had a tire split (tube sticking out the side like a black hernia).  We stopped, put the folded dollar between the tire and tube, reinflated it, and rode home.  We changed out the tire once we were home

Dollar bills have fibers more like cloth than regular paper.  If you want a more permanent solution, use some rubber cement along with the bill.  It's lighter weight than the duct tape and only a little more expensive.  

2014-08-08 7:48 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Originally posted by McFuzz

Originally posted by clydecat Is the hole in the sidewall or more centered in the tread? I would try something that stays pliable/flexible, like Shoe Goo. The duct tape on the inside should work as well. Clyde

I carry a dollar bill in my saddle bag.  I had a tire split (tube sticking out the side like a black hernia).  We stopped, put the folded dollar between the tire and tube, reinflated it, and rode home.  We changed out the tire once we were home

Dollar bills have fibers more like cloth than regular paper.  If you want a more permanent solution, use some rubber cement along with the bill.  It's lighter weight than the duct tape and only a little more expensive.  

Our lowest denomination is a 5 and they are made of some kind of polymer. I wonder if it would work the same?

2014-08-08 9:38 AM

User image

Our lowest denomination is a 5 and they are made of some kind of polymer. I wonder if it would work the same?

As I said, tire boot. They come three to a pack and are about $3-5 for a pack of three.

http://www.sportchalet.com/product/301773_8318121.do?utm_source=goo...

2014-08-08 9:39 AM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Originally posted by morey000

Originally posted by DanielG Look at tire boots. that's exactly what they're for.

Tire boots.  Are they like this?

Cute.
2014-08-08 9:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by TriGuy05

I wrap my CO2 cartridges with duct tape to use on the inner portion of the tire.  Two layers of duct tape on the inner section of the tire where the hole is could work pretty well.

I keep electrical tape wrapped around my seatpost for the same reason. It also works as a height marker whenever I have to take the seatpost off to ship the bike.

Oh, it took me a minute to realize the pun in the title. Nice!

Edited by happyscientist 2014-08-08 9:49 AM
2014-08-08 9:51 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by DanielG ...

Cute.

I just kill myself sometimes.  

2014-08-08 10:29 AM

User image

Indian Hills, CO
I tire boot gets you home but I wouldn't count on it forever.

Get a new tire and keep this one for the trainer.

Ted

2014-08-08 11:54 AM

User image

Originally posted by DanielG

As I said, tire boot. They come three to a pack and are about $3-5 for a pack of three.

http://www.sportchalet.com/product/301773_8318121.do?utm_source=goo...

Gonna try the tire boot. Thanks.
2014-08-08 12:12 PM
in reply to: indianhillsted

User image

Originally posted by indianhillsted

Ted

I ran over glass one time and cut my tire about 1/2"
I put a tire boot in the tire and used it for another four months before replacing it. Not an issue.

2014-08-08 3:24 PM

User image

Indian Hills, CO
Originally posted by DanielG
Originally posted by indianhillsted
Ted

I ran over glass one time and cut my tire about 1/2"
I put a tire boot in the tire and used it for another four months before replacing it. Not an issue.

I guess it depends what you're comfortable with.

Most of my rides I routinely hit 40 mph on twisty canyon roads. Tire failure would be more than just a long walk home.
2014-08-08 6:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada

Stick a toonie in a see if it works,
2014-08-08 9:07 PM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Originally posted by BigDaddyD79

Stick a toonie in a see if it works,

Just gotta put it oppisite the valve stem.

2014-08-09 9:52 AM

User image

You can use a tire patch like the ones shown here. But, they are only meant to be temporary. Like the dollar bill, or duct tape, or electrical tape they are all just a way to get you home. I had pretty much the exact same thing happen to me and I used a tire patch. I used a really cool Filzer carbon fibre tire patch kit from MEC. It states right in the included instructions that this is only a temporary emergency patch. It states replace the tire once you get home. I decided to leave the patch in place and carry on as usual. A few days later I got another flat. When I pulled the tube out the patch had wore out a perfectly square section of the tube that matched the patch exactly. For the $40-50 of a new tire, just replace it. It is not worth the chance of bombing down a hill or cruising at high speed and having a catastrophic tire failure.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is my tire screwed? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How Screwed Am I ????

Started by jayhawkfirefighter
Views: 1136 Posts: 10

2007-12-28 6:13 PM SevenZulu

Am I screwed...bad runner

Started by aggiecatcher
Views: 1167 Posts: 9

2007-06-07 3:31 PM Donto

Am I screwed or what? Pages: 1 2

Started by wanderlust
Views: 1552 Posts: 28

2006-08-04 7:58 AM HornJM

Am I screwed????

Started by Dlaxman31
Views: 1209 Posts: 15

2006-02-26 2:48 PM paTRIck

Am I Screwed???

Started by seanaq64
Views: 953 Posts: 9

2005-03-16 2:46 PM andyc
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 30, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Are your brakes not slowing you down enough? Are your wheels rubbing on them? This video will cover the basics on adjusting your own bicycle brakes.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : September 10, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 12
This video tutorial will show you how to fix a flat tire and also how to change the tire itself. Don't wait until you're out on the course at the races to learn how.