General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I Yelled At Cyclists From Inside My Car Today Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-09 3:55 PM

Subject: I Yelled At Cyclists From Inside My Car Today
Side by side on a busy street with many cars parked on the side of the road.

WHAT THE F! I shouted.

GET THE F! OUTTA THE WAY! I continued.

But my windows were rolled up and they couldn't hear me.

I hate cyclists, but it's ok because I am one, right?

2014-08-09 4:30 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: I Yelled At Cyclists From Inside My Car Today

maybe i was just raised different then most people, but i have this overwhelming urge to survive... and in an attempt to survive i don't do like that. you yelled, but some one just a bit more would have run them over, I never understood why cyclist do the, cars are very solid and as far as I'm concerned if my bike and i got into a fight with a car, we would lose. And in the end it doesn't matter if it's my fault or the drivers fault, im the one in pain.

2014-08-09 7:10 PM
in reply to: skibummer

Sometimes it is safer and quite legal to take the lane until you are at a safer point where you can let cars pass. being in the door zone along a line of parked cars is one of the most dangerous places you can ride. you know how many idiots open their door into traffic without looking first?

remember how you felt this time the next time a douche in a pickup buzzes you at 50mph on a sideroad when you moved over a bit to avoid a pothole. Then remember that you were that guy.
2014-08-09 7:12 PM

User image

New user
Hamden, CT
Ha.
May have better served the cyclists if you rolled the window down and told them to quit riding like morons on a busy road and get one behind the other...instead of keeping that to yourself.
2014-08-09 9:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas
I will absolutely take the lane along a line of parked cars. That's a dangerous situation.

Now, I totally yell inside my car at cyclists who blow through stop signs, though.
2014-08-09 10:21 PM
in reply to: ponyup

User image

Pro

I never yell at cyclists.  Not in my car, not in my sleep, not ever.  I give them a WIDE berth, and I will gladly block for them if I am in a car. 

2014-08-10 9:54 AM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

I think the point was that there was 2 of them, riding side by side...

I don't like it when cyclists disregard rules of the road or common sense. self-preservation

Edited by lkct01234 2014-08-10 9:56 AM
2014-08-10 10:07 AM

User image

Regular
Grand Junction, Colorado
Easy solution here….. Get out of your car and ride a bike……. And now for your excuses___________
2014-08-10 12:37 PM
in reply to: lkct01234

Originally posted by lkct01234

I think the point was that there was 2 of them, riding side by side...

I don't like it when cyclists disregard rules of the road or common sense. self-preservation

They have a right to be in the middle of the lane, side by side or not if that is the safest place at the moment. This is the same with tractors, scooters, mail trucks etc that are slower than the speed limit. (notice.. that is the LIMIT, not minimum... people have a problem with this concept)

as far as self preservation. as i said earlier. the door zone along a line of parked cars is one of the most dangerous places to ride.. one idiot throws his door open with you there and you are over your handlebars when your bike goes from __ to 0 instantly. staying 3-4' away from the cars allows a door to open and not kill you.

people in our area are impatient ______ that show MUCH less self preservation in their vehicles because their fat butts want to get to McDonalds sooner. I've almost witnessed countless head on collisions between cars that pass over the center line on blind corners or over hills to save themselves 3 seconds on their drive. A few years ago I saw a car come feet from slamming head on into an 18 wheeler coming the other direction because they couldn't wait 10 seconds to get around to where they had a clear view to pass. Is a few seconds worth being seriously injured or killed?

get off your trainer and you'll realize the rules of the road are broken by cars much more frequently than cyclists.
2014-08-10 1:59 PM
in reply to: Bscjake

User image

Sometimes taking the lane is the safest thing to do. Since I started riding, I have become so much more aware of just how much debris there is on the shoulders, how people don't look before opening their car doors, and how road grates tend to be oriented. Drivers need to learn to be more patient. You aren't driving an ambulance, and waiting a few seconds isn't going to kill anyone.
2014-08-10 2:10 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
Originally posted by Left Brain

I never yell at cyclists.  Not in my car, not in my sleep, not ever.  I give them a WIDE berth, and I will gladly block for them if I am in a car. 

I agree and am the same!

2014-08-10 3:39 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Please don't yell at cyclists. It's a great way to freak them out, and possibly cause them to crash.

2014-08-10 3:48 PM

User image

Originally posted by skibummer Side by side on a busy street with many cars parked on the side of the road. WHAT THE F! I shouted. GET THE F! OUTTA THE WAY! I continued. But my windows were rolled up and they couldn't hear me. I hate cyclists, but it's ok because I am one, right?

What state do you live in?  I'll bet there's a law that says cyclists can take the lane in certain circumstances including where there is no shoulder, or where the lane width is not sufficient for a car and bike to proceed safely-- which for all intents and purposes s basically every lane given current road construction.....   So, if they're obeying the law, then the problem seems to be with you.   In a hurry to get to the market?  The track?  jesus, just slow down for the 2-3 minutes it takes safely to pass and give them the room they're entitled to

Edited by ChrisM 2014-08-10 3:51 PM
2014-08-10 3:49 PM

User image

Originally posted by VeggieTriGirl Ha. May have better served the cyclists if you rolled the window down and told them to quit riding like morons on a busy road and get one behind the other...instead of keeping that to yourself.

The ignorance of this post is astounding

And we wonder why drivers don't know the laws of the road, when people that ride bikes can't even take the time to learn them

Edited by ChrisM 2014-08-10 3:50 PM
2014-08-10 6:51 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Whether they have the right to be riding two-wide or not there's no arguing that something like this has a large affect on the flow of traffic. You may know the rules but the majority of drivers don't. For the sake of my own personal safety and due to the ignorance of motorists I find it always best to be single file and as far right as possible.
2014-08-10 7:18 PM
in reply to: Brian W

Originally posted by Brian W

Whether they have the right to be riding two-wide or not there's no arguing that something like this has a large affect on the flow of traffic. You may know the rules but the majority of drivers don't. For the sake of my own personal safety and due to the ignorance of motorists I find it always best to be single file and as far right as possible.

apparently you don't know someone who has been "doored". I do, they were off the bike for a while from their injuries. "as right as possible" doesn't have to be in the gutter, if taking the lane is the safest then that is what you should do. the fact that this isn't acceptable is why drivers suck because they are allowed force people into unsafe areas.

a cyclist who should know the rules yelling at cyclists while riding properly like in the OP is inexcusable.

2014-08-10 8:33 PM
in reply to: Bscjake

User image

Originally posted by Bscjake
Originally posted by Brian W Whether they have the right to be riding two-wide or not there's no arguing that something like this has a large affect on the flow of traffic. You may know the rules but the majority of drivers don't. For the sake of my own personal safety and due to the ignorance of motorists I find it always best to be single file and as far right as possible.
apparently you don't know someone who has been "doored". I do, they were off the bike for a while from their injuries. "as right as possible" doesn't have to be in the gutter, if taking the lane is the safest then that is what you should do. the fact that this isn't acceptable is why drivers suck because they are allowed force people into unsafe areas. a cyclist who should know the rules yelling at cyclists while riding properly like in the OP is inexcusable.

yup.

2014-08-10 8:42 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

My buddy got doored and was pretty badly banged up. The silver lining he says, was that it was a rich guy and the door of his fancy Mercedes got completely trashed by my friend's body flying through the air. That at least gave him a good chuckle as he was rushed to the emergency room with several broken bones. If a cyclist is just trying to avoid that from happening, cut him or her some freaking slack.

2014-08-10 9:16 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Regular
Hamilton, IL
Riding as far right as possible is an invitation that says you'd like to share your lane. In heavy traffic with parked cars to the right, "claim your lane" otherwise you have traffic on your left and doors on your right and nowhere to bail. Always have an escape route.

Now, if there is little traffic or you are riding down a neighborhood street, county road or state highway or something, then hang right because people are coming up behind you fast. In that scenario, though you have the shoulder/ditch to escape to.

2014-08-11 8:40 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by skibummer

Side by side on a busy street with many cars parked on the side of the road.

WHAT THE F! I shouted.

GET THE F! OUTTA THE WAY! I continued.

But my windows were rolled up and they couldn't hear me.

I hate cyclists, but it's ok because I am one, right?

In PA the law says you must give 4 feet of space while passing a cyclist. Cyclist are allowed to ride 2 people side by side. Cyclist should stay as far right as safely possible and that is determined by the cyclist no one else. Cyclist also have the right to go through a defective traffic light- that's right many lights are on sensors that will not switch for a cyclist so once you have stopped and there is no traffic you are allowed to go through the red light legally.

This means that a car can not legally pass a cyclist without crossing over into the other lane. Maybe you should go to anger management therapy!
2014-08-11 8:47 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

Master
Memphis, TN

x2 on this. Remember that you might not be able to see road conditions they can. Cars don't look at things like glass, debris or gravel in a bike lane but drivers sure do remind me when I'm riding on the right side of the road out of the bike lane.

I always give cyclists the benefit of the doubt except for the hobo types that are going the wrong way down a busy street without a helmet. Somewhere at the shelter they are telling people that it's better to ride against traffic even though it's really dumb and illegal.

2014-08-11 9:51 AM
in reply to: Jtiger

User image

Originally posted by Jtiger

x2 on this. Remember that you might not be able to see road conditions they can. Cars don't look at things like glass, debris or gravel in a bike lane but drivers sure do remind me when I'm riding on the right side of the road out of the bike lane.

I always give cyclists the benefit of the doubt except for the hobo types that are going the wrong way down a busy street without a helmet. Somewhere at the shelter they are telling people that it's better to ride against traffic even though it's really dumb and illegal.

Couldn't agree more. There may be the cyclist that I get behind and go "what are they doing? Im gonna stay back here while they figure it out" or "man wonder if they knew there was construction here " But I have no problem being that car that other cars are tailgating to try and push you to pass a cyclist, 10 seconds or even say 4 minutes going through a construction zone isn't going to make me that much later to my destination. Plus I like to think of it as positive cycling karma that may come back to me later.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I Yelled At Cyclists From Inside My Car Today Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

People who yell from cars

Started by SevenZulu
Views: 1599 Posts: 14

2014-03-10 12:52 PM seiken

Yelling at a Cyclist

Started by ecozenmama
Views: 3157 Posts: 25

2012-05-10 12:51 PM tpero

When someone yells at you from their car Pages: 1 2

Started by tjh
Views: 4735 Posts: 49

2012-03-15 8:28 PM jaelinfunk

Storing your bike inside your car - problems?

Started by strostertag
Views: 3131 Posts: 9

2009-07-29 11:32 AM browncd

Strange but True: Helmets Attract Cars to Cyclists

Started by stupidnickname
Views: 1200 Posts: 14

2007-05-15 7:28 AM DeannaS
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 15
Learn what the proper pedaling technique looks like and how to become a more efficient and economical cyclist.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : October 8, 2007
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
If stay in the aero position for an extended period of time, I experience discomfort in my right hip and the lateral aspect of my left knee since putting on aerobars.

date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.
date : December 11, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
If you have ever felt confused by the plethora of commercial sports fuels, you are not alone. Runners, cyclists, and other athletes inevitably ask me, "What’s the best energy bar? gel? sports drink?"

date : May 30, 2005
author : Team BT
Hamilton has vowed to fight the allegations and “clear his name.” Is he guilty? You decide.
date : April 18, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
The following is a sneak peak at Nancy Clark’s upcoming book on endurance nutrition - The Cyclist’s Food Guide: Fueling for the Distance

date : January 24, 2005
author : Team BT
Shanna Armstrong’s Journal Entry January 21, 2005 - The Race Across America