General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Really just starting. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-09 8:24 PM

Subject: Really just starting.
I came from England two years ago and my weight was 164lbs.
I have lived in Tennessee and my weight is 181lbs. At 5ft 8in this is pathetic and why I want to train to be able to start training to be a triathlete and in 5yrs time, do an IM.

So how do I eat properly where you are encouraged to eat so much junk? What foods and quantities are best for a triathlete? I'm sure the answer is a real easy one, but if not then at least I'll get some advice as where to get started!

2014-08-11 6:44 AM
in reply to: #5037606

User image

Subject: RE: Really just starting.
Check out the books by Matt Fitzgerald. One is called Racing Weight and another is The New Rules of Marathon Training or something like that. Either one should help someone with an endurance background.

I had the most success with a paleo diet, but that might not be for everyone, especially an endurance athlete.
2014-08-12 10:14 PM
in reply to: saint100

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Subject: RE: Really just starting.
Originally posted by saint100

I came from England two years ago and my weight was 164lbs.
I have lived in Tennessee and my weight is 181lbs. At 5ft 8in this is pathetic and why I want to train to be able to start training to be a triathlete and in 5yrs time, do an IM.

So how do I eat properly where you are encouraged to eat so much junk? What foods and quantities are best for a triathlete? I'm sure the answer is a real easy one, but if not then at least I'll get some advice as where to get started!

Everybody's diet will be different, after all we're little snowflakes! As for the diet, try using myfitnesspal to log your caloric intake. It can help you manage a healthy diet for you. I have used it several times to either get back into cardio shape or when I feel I am slacking with my eating habits. Keep in mind triathlon training will bring on some weight loss by the nature of the sport. Depending on the race distances you plan for this may be not to big of an issue (i.e. at longer distances you will be burning more calories and have more to use). I like to think of my healthy eating habits as a change not a diet but a lifestyle change. Making the right choices is difficult but with time it can become easier. Check out some of the beginner training programs on this website and give a try at the individual sports training. Remember to take it slow and enjoy the training!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Really just starting. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Counting calories does it really work?

Started by SoberTriGuy
Views: 3127 Posts: 18

2011-11-15 5:38 PM wgraves7582

Does anyone else really hate the scale?

Started by losta
Views: 1270 Posts: 7

2009-08-03 10:38 PM Geets16

Training Plans Really Enough?

Started by grit_nugget
Views: 971 Posts: 6

2006-12-04 5:49 PM chirunner134

When your kid says, "Daddy your really FAT!"

Started by bigfish
Views: 1871 Posts: 17

2005-12-15 1:21 AM PKLehner

How much can muscle gain REALLY offset weight loss

Started by MrCjolsen
Views: 5286 Posts: 7

2005-01-11 10:53 AM Brett
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Vytra TOBAY Triathlon swim start provided by jpcan.

date : August 22, 2006
author : Team BT
Abitaman #3 swim triathlon wallpaper provided by tri_it_cajun_style.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Some are getting a little OWS practice in, others are strategizing, the rest are just plain scared.

This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.
These ladies are impressive. This video will show you what you will have to look forward to at a wave start.

date : October 2, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
The start for everyone is a crazy cluster of splashing. Here are some tips to deal with what some consider being the toughest part of any triathlon.
date : July 17, 2005
author : Michael
Why is it so hard to start over after an extended leave from the sport. When it comes to training we can't live in our glory days!

date : February 28, 2005
author : rautorino
Does it matter how fast you go? Does it matter if you win? No. It only matters that you tri your best and smile when you cross the finish line.