General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Changing cassette Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-10 3:32 PM

User image

Subject: Changing cassette
Is there an easy way to change a cassette at home without specialized tools? I recently upgraded to an 11 speed and I need to change the cassette on my zipps to an 11 speed to match (previously had a 10 speed).

2014-08-10 3:46 PM
in reply to: Rdracer99

User image

Subject: RE: Changing cassette
At the very least you need the cassette tool, a towel, and a wrench. whip tool works wonders but you can grab it with a towel and use monkey strength.
2014-08-10 3:53 PM
in reply to: Tryrn

User image

Originally posted by Tryrn At the very least you need the cassette tool, a towel, and a wrench. whip tool works wonders but you can grab it with a towel and use monkey strength.

I'd recommend the tools, they're cheap and it's stupid easy-said because I am completely un-mechanical and even I can do it 

Monkey strength may end up with a nice cassette shaped scar 

2014-08-10 5:13 PM

User image

You need a couple specialty tools but they're not all that much and it frees you up to be able to change them out yourself rather than having to go to the LBS.

If you're going from 10 to 11 you have to make sure your freewheel hub is actually an 11 speed.

2014-08-10 5:17 PM

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
Changing the cassete is easy with the right tools. The problem is if you have an old set of Zipps, you cannot run an 11 speed. The freehub has got to be replaced as well, as the spacing is different. Put another way, you can run a 10 speed on an 11 speed freehub (with a spacer), but you can not run an 11 speed on a 10 speed freehub.

Zipp has freehub replacement kits depending on the age of your wheelset, and some full service bike facilities will perform the service for you at a charge. For example: http://www.trisports.com/zipp-10sp-to-11sp-conversion-kit.html IMHO this is not a changeout to be performed by your average garage bike mechanic.

I've already run into this problem afetr upgrading. Hoping to save you trouble.
2014-08-10 5:43 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

lol yes... but scars are sexy

2014-08-10 6:46 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Buy a chai whip. I find myself doing a very deep drive train cleaning and removing each cog a lot more since I punches mine.
2014-08-10 8:44 PM
in reply to: #5037761

User image

Thanks all. I guess I'll buy the tools. Just FYI, it's an 11 speed hub with a 10 speed cassette and a spacer.
2014-08-10 8:55 PM
in reply to: Brian W

As others have said, a chain whip and lockring are all you need. A must for cleaning your cassette. When you take off the cassette, if there is a spacer after you've taken off the cassette, there is a good chance you've already gotten a 11 speed compatible hub. If not, you should probably reach out to Zipp to find out what it'll take.

2014-08-11 8:43 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

Master
Memphis, TN
The tools to remove your cassette are pretty cheap. Just the proper cassette lock nut thing and a chain whip.

Chain Whip is about $20

Cassette lock nut thing $7 or so depending on your cassette

Having the right tool for the job will save you time and possible damage to your expensive components
2014-08-11 12:22 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I bought the Nashbar branded tools for doing this when they had a 50% tools sale.  Makes for an easy job.  Right now they're listed $2.00 off at $12.99 each.

Chain whip tool

Lockring tool

2014-08-11 1:12 PM
in reply to: Tryrn

User image

Bossier City
Originally posted by Tryrn

lol yes... but scars are sexy

Scars are only sexy if you have a cool story to go with them. I'm not sure using monkey strength to change a cassette qualifies.
2014-08-11 1:19 PM
in reply to: WaltRitchie

User image

Sensei
Sin City

May want to get a large adjustable wrench as well for the locking tool.  You can use channel lock pliers, but the adjustable wrench is more secure to me and give a bit more leverage.

2014-08-11 4:29 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Cost of most shops to do this will cover the cost of the tools. That's just about true with anything you can do on your bike(s). And the more bikes or options you have, the more you'll make those changes depending on the race or training you're doing. So a worthwhile investment.
2014-08-11 4:44 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

User image

Originally posted by FranzZemen Cost of most shops to do this will cover the cost of the tools. That's just about true with anything you can do on your bike(s). And the more bikes or options you have, the more you'll make those changes depending on the race or training you're doing. So a worthwhile investment.

Yep, when I started out, the idea of changing cassettes for races seemed so ... advanced and technical.  I do it all the time now.  If I had to go to the shop to do it (or risk monkey scars!) it would cost (and hurt) a ton.

2014-08-11 5:52 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Originally posted by ChrisM

Originally posted by FranzZemen Cost of most shops to do this will cover the cost of the tools. That's just about true with anything you can do on your bike(s). And the more bikes or options you have, the more you'll make those changes depending on the race or training you're doing. So a worthwhile investment.

Yep, when I started out, the idea of changing cassettes for races seemed so ... advanced and technical.  I do it all the time now.  If I had to go to the shop to do it (or risk monkey scars!) it would cost (and hurt) a ton.

Frankly, with proper tools it's easier and faster to change a cassette than to fix a rear wheel flat.

2014-08-11 6:49 PM
in reply to: the bear

User image

Originally posted by the bear

Originally posted by ChrisM

Frankly, with proper tools it's easier and faster to change a cassette than to fix a rear wheel flat.

Very true

2014-08-11 6:56 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Originally posted by Kido

May want to get a large adjustable wrench as well for the locking tool.  You can use channel lock pliers, but the adjustable wrench is more secure to me and give a bit more leverage.

I use a 10 inch long adjustable wrench because I already had one.  But if you don't already have one, then may as well get the lock ring tool that is already made with a handle.  Like this.  Makes it a lot easier if you're constantly swapping cassettes like I am.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Changing cassette Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Considering changing cassette configuration for hills, also IMLP

Started by FELTGood
Views: 2356 Posts: 22

2012-07-30 4:48 PM spudone

Changing cassette help

Started by KathyG
Views: 730 Posts: 5

2008-07-15 11:40 AM KathyG

adjustments when changing cassettes

Started by fa590
Views: 1100 Posts: 7

2008-05-24 8:21 AM Invigilator

Changing cassettes?

Started by jsnowash
Views: 728 Posts: 4

2007-05-12 2:03 PM jsnowash

Help on changing cassettes please

Started by billypb
Views: 957 Posts: 7

2007-04-11 11:25 AM pescalita
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Video of the six kick change swim drill.

date : January 20, 2009
author : AMSSM
Information for training as a pregnant triathlete including physiological changes, nutritional and environmental concerns plus certain risks to avoid.
date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
Is gear overlap from the big to small ring a consideration? Will the ratio increment of the compact setup be very beneficial to my riding?

date : November 5, 2008
author : FitWerx
What are the essential mechanical/maintenance skills that I as someone who rides a bike should learn how to do myself?
date : May 5, 2008
author : mrakes1
Did you flat training or racing on your tubular tire? This video will show you everything you need to do to change your tubular tire.

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : April 17, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
comments : 5
I was humbled last year. My body shut down on me just before two World Championship events. I was originally in top form to medal in both, but my strength was sapped from me.

date : April 3, 2005
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The day that I decided to participate in a triathlon really changed my view of my own obstacles of matching the mind to the body and the spirit to contribute to society.