General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycle Basic for hill training on a TT bike. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-10 6:24 PM

User image

New user

Almonte, Ontario
Subject: Cycle Basic for hill training on a TT bike.
Hello,

I'll make this quick. New to triathlon and cycling. Been riding a TT bike this season, no problems ridding areo. Training for Muskoka 70.3 and hitting the hills. I have a few basic questions.

When should I come out of the areo position? I can usually keep my cadence high (75-80) on smaller grade long hills, but my speed falls between 12 to 18km/h. Any point in staying areo?

When should I come off of the saddle and stand, if at all?

Any other tips would be great. I feel like I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to hill.

I did 67km today with 940M of gain in 2:26.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

2014-08-11 9:23 AM
in reply to: scottyramone

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: RE: Cycle Basic for hill training on a TT bike.
When you come out of aero you can breath easier. On hills once my speed is under 12 to14 mph I will usually come out of aero, under that speed your not gaining much be in aero anyway. So that about 19-22 Km/h.

If you stand on a climb you tend to burn more matches, in a tri is better to spin up that hill if you can. If your more of a pure cyclist that prefers to climb out of saddle then by all means stand and climb.
2014-08-11 10:48 AM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
I remember reading somewhere that around 25 km/h is the turning point at which aerodynamics start to make a real difference, so I tend to use that as my rule of thumb. Once my speed drops below 25 I'll come out of aero - as mentioned it's easier to breathe (and I find I can generate power a little better). I never stand up though - I find it's not worth the extra burn on my muscles.
2014-08-11 11:04 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I'll come out if I need to engage more of the core to help with the climb.  Also as Mike stated I can open up a bit and get better diaphragm breathing. I really limit standing and save it for very steep stuff were a burst of power may be need for a short period.  But it can take a toll on the legs if your not trained for it..

2014-08-11 5:37 PM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

From what I remember reading the speed where aero is not a huge factor is lower than you might think, like 8-10mph slow.

However, as has been said, some feel more powerful and efficient sitting up for the climbs. I will usually sit up around the 10-12mph speed, or just depending on how steep the hill is. I feel I can get a bit more power when sitting up so if it is a short steep hill I might sit up to "sprint" over the hill, really just depends.

Standing is up to you, I don't do a lot of it on my TT bike. Sometimes I will just to stretch the legs a bit on a long climb, but as far as standing to put down more power, it is usually not a great idea in longer course stuff. Depends on your fitness level, and how good you are at climbing out of the saddle. It is fast and powerful, but sometimes it is not worth burning that much energy.

2014-08-12 7:32 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
It depends… some people are just very efficient sitting down climbing, others are climbing standing up. Personal preference, so not that simple of an answer.

I would recommend that you go out on your tri bike and try a few hills. If you loose speed sitting down, standup for a bit to regain speed, then sit down again. I wouldn't stay in aero unless it's a gradual climb (for me that's under 6% grade, anything more and I will stand up, but I'm a punchy rider, so that's just how I ride… probably comes from my youth as a sprinter…)

2014-08-12 7:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

When the pace falls below 15mph (24km/h) then I'll start sitting up and alternating between standing and sitting if the hill is long.

2014-08-12 8:54 AM

User image

New user

Almonte, Ontario
Thanks! I'm pretty new to cycling, and find my HR jacks when I stand, and I dont get much of a speed gain. My legs also tend to get tired and burn at a pretty low HR.
2014-08-12 9:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Fwiw, 75-80 rpm cadence is not considered 'high' by most. Generally accepted 'optimum' cadence is in the 80-95 range, 'higher' would be 95-110, and 'high' above 110. When someone says they are spinning up a climb, that's generally taken to mean 95+. There's no *right* cadence for anyone in particular, but the better cyclists are comfortable in many ranges, from 60 to 120, in different gearing up and down. It's all valid.

In the beginning stages of becoming a cyclist, do what is comfortable and fastest for you. If you feel like standing, do it. There isn't a set rule. There are some world class climbers that are out of the saddle for most of a climb (I'm thinking of Alberto Contador immediately, there are others) and there are some that almost never stand (Tejay Van Garderen comes to mind). When it comes to training, work on developing your strength and skill across the full spectrum of cadence and gearing. The more familiar and comfortable you are with the range of what your bike and you are capable of doing together, the better you will be.

As to aero position, it counts, period. You always have less drag in aero than you do when not in aero, regardless of the pitch. However...your ability to generate the power necessary to climb at your best might not yet be available to you in aero. That takes a good deal of training. Muskoka is less than a month away, you're not going to become a great climber in that short a time period. The best advice I can give you is to climb with the least amount of expended energy possible, whatever that is for you. If you burn too many matches on the bike in the hills, the run will be a death march.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cycle Basic for hill training on a TT bike. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Training with TT bike

Started by getfitfast
Views: 4692 Posts: 25

2014-01-13 12:58 PM TriDadinAsheville

Training for hills without hills...

Started by ratherbeswimming
Views: 1904 Posts: 15

2010-12-16 8:59 AM ratherbeswimming

Cycling Hill Training – Help!

Started by Bone Head
Views: 870 Posts: 5

2009-07-09 10:01 AM breckview

Bike Training - hills vs flats

Started by fromer
Views: 754 Posts: 5

2007-06-20 1:29 PM jackjack

Hill training (bike) Pages: 1 2

Started by jesswah
Views: 1716 Posts: 32

2007-02-15 9:22 AM vortmax
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 29, 2011
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 1
How to improve your bike split in a triathlon through careful planning and execution of your training schedule

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : May 18, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 3
How to get faster and still keep your job and family

date : March 20, 2009
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This month's fun and fast training will help you improve performance and raise your metabolism so that you are feeling a bit hungry all the time and really burning up those calories.
date : December 20, 2007
I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?

date : January 24, 2005
author : Don Magie
A better bike is not the answer to meeting your performance goals. I mean if you gave Nike running shoes to a tortoise would he move any faster?
date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
“Less is more,” is a common buzz phrase in endurance sports today. It refers to the trend of training less but focusing on intensity and quality rather than on quantity.

date : September 1, 2004
author : owie
You ride hard enough that you are working but not so hard that you can’t do the same thing the next day. 700 km or 400 miles a week.