Other Resources My Cup of Joe » PGA Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-11 6:58 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Subject: PGA Championship
Because there have been some good golf threads lately, here's another.

Wow what a weekend. That was amazing to watch on Sunday. THE PGA could not have dreamed up a better scenario for a weekend where Tiger wasn't around unless maybe Jordan Speith was near the top too. Rickie just had such a great year at the majors, kind of a shame that he didn't win one but if he keeps this swing consistent he's going to do big things at the Ryder Cup and hopefully use that energy to propel himself into 2015. Rory just hits the ball so damn far. There is hardly a par 5 they can make that he (and some others) can't reach in 2. It's gross. Then seeing Phil in the hunt, it was just a great weekend to watch these guys make shots. Even on errant drives they're hitting these punch shots and up and downs for par, it was insane.

Now we get a week off and then into the FedEx. Not that I'm a huge fan of the FedEx Cup, but having all the big names battle it out and making my way to see the Deustche Bank live, well that works for me.

2014-08-11 8:11 AM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: PGA Championship
Originally posted by jonD81

Because there have been some good golf threads lately, here's another.

Wow what a weekend. That was amazing to watch on Sunday. THE PGA could not have dreamed up a better scenario for a weekend where Tiger wasn't around unless maybe Jordan Speith was near the top too. Rickie just had such a great year at the majors, kind of a shame that he didn't win one but if he keeps this swing consistent he's going to do big things at the Ryder Cup and hopefully use that energy to propel himself into 2015. Rory just hits the ball so damn far. There is hardly a par 5 they can make that he (and some others) can't reach in 2. It's gross. Then seeing Phil in the hunt, it was just a great weekend to watch these guys make shots. Even on errant drives they're hitting these punch shots and up and downs for par, it was insane.

Now we get a week off and then into the FedEx. Not that I'm a huge fan of the FedEx Cup, but having all the big names battle it out and making my way to see the Deustche Bank live, well that works for me.

Add to that the onset of darkness...it reminded me of that tournament finish years ago when Tiger finished in even more darkness...as soon as he arrived on the green to a ball close to the hole you could see camera flashes going crazy.

That eagle on the par 5 was insane by Rory.
I was a little worried he pulled a Van de Veld with a dumb decision to hit driver on 18. That was just ridiculous. He was about a yard and a half from what likely would have been a playoff with Phil on Monday.
And how bout Phil's chip that went an inch and a half left of the cup?
Even Ricky was fun to watch...his caddy running was awesome too.
So many great shots for EASILY the best Sunday of a Major this year.

2015 is going to be insane!

2014-08-11 9:31 AM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

I don't know, it just wasn't exciting without Tiger playing the weekend

But seriously, I agree that was the best Sunday at a major this year, and probably one of the best in recent memory. The future looks good.

2014-08-11 11:04 AM
in reply to: zed707

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

It was definitely fun to watch.  It went so late that I paused it to eat dinner with the family.  After dinner, we all watched the last couple holes.  It is fun watching with the kids asking about birdies, eagles, hazards and noting that isn't the same "Puma guy that wears orange because he has longer hair." 

2014-08-11 1:54 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I really like that course too.  I recorded all four days (as I usually do), but many times I will erase day 1 and 2 if I don't have the time to watch and just watch the weekend.  I have done that on every major so far but THIS one, I'm enjoying every day.  Bubba, Rory, and Kaymer as a group?  Awesome. 

2014-08-12 8:23 AM
in reply to: jonD81

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
I really enjoyed it too - best tournament I have seen in awhile. Plus, I won the Major Tourney Golf Pool at my work with Rory, Rickie, Phil, Adam Scott and Justin Rose as my team - $280!

2014-08-12 1:37 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I digress a bit, but it's related.  One of my least favorite courses on Tiger Woods gold was Valhalla, but now I want to give it another chance.

I honestly think they should make more courses with options (like hole #7).  If you got guts and are accurate, you go the small landing area to the left and cut 50 yards off the hole.  If not, go right.

Make high risk/high gain choices vs "safe" choices on holes.  Fly a drive on an island to cut the corner?  Launch a tee shot over trees to a blind greed instead of going the traditional route on a par 4?  It would be epic TV to watch someone 5-6 shots down go for a high risk shot to make up ground...

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » PGA Championship Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

SEC Championship/aka National Championship Semifinal

Started by GomesBolt
Views: 816 Posts: 9

2012-12-02 1:02 PM zed707

28 straight championships

Started by KenyonTri
Views: 714 Posts: 17

2007-07-27 5:48 PM ScottoNM

World Basketball Championship

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 515 Posts: 1

2006-08-29 11:23 PM BellinghamSpence

Playing for the Championship

Started by rollinbones
Views: 654 Posts: 14

2006-03-16 3:09 PM rollinbones

2005 Kona Ironman World Championship

Started by ChuckyFinster
Views: 933 Posts: 11

2006-02-13 10:46 AM cbost2678
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 7, 2008
author : trvw
comments : 0
Q&A with a triathlete who decided to compete last minute while vacationing overseas in Croatia.

date : August 10, 2007
author : leifashley
comments : 4
From couch potato to a tri in 8 weeks. It was the most fun I've had in a long time. The race organizers had it down and there were no problems at all. This was the perfect first tri, in my opinion.
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Stay focused on your dreams and stand up for your rights!
My expectations for the quality of this years’ Triathlon world championship were fulfilled. This was because of the superb location that is like no other along with having the top triathletes present.

There is a marvelous destiny out there waiting for you too, but only if you are willing to take chances and put yourself on the line.