General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First triathlon yesterday! Now for more! :D Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-11 9:39 AM

User image

Subject: First triathlon yesterday! Now for more! :D
Hello everyone! I set myself a couch-to-triathlon challenge 8 weeks ago and yesterday - I did it! My first tri, sprint distance, it was brilliant. Amazed at how much I've loved the training, I can't stop now! Hoping to go for an Olympic distance next summer. As a total beginner I'm hoping to pick up training tips - any info on nutrition for vegan athletes would be great, too

2014-08-11 10:07 AM
in reply to: Katie1984

, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: First triathlon yesterday! Now for more! :D
Congratulations and awesome! I couldn't do it in 8 weeks. I'm not a vegan but we have gotten close at times. I think a vegan diet could be very good for doing tri as long as you get enough protein which is certainly very doable. Enjoy your training!
2014-08-11 11:33 AM
in reply to: #5037981

User image

Thanks, Mike It was hard - especially as all the 8 week training programmes I found online made the (rather incorrect) assumption that I was already quite fit! I just worked up to it carefully and I'm very proud of myself - mostly for not drowning. I reckon if I can find a tasty source of protein that isn't peanut butter I will be halfway there nutritionally!
2014-08-12 9:24 PM

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Originally posted by Katie1984

Hello everyone! I set myself a couch-to-triathlon challenge 8 weeks ago and yesterday - I did it! My first tri, sprint distance, it was brilliant. Amazed at how much I've loved the training, I can't stop now! Hoping to go for an Olympic distance next summer. As a total beginner I'm hoping to pick up training tips - any info on nutrition for vegan athletes would be great, too

Nice job and congrats on finishing your first triathlon. I have my first at the end of the month and am thoroughly enjoying the training as well. I did my first duathlon last weekend and it gave me a taste of doing transitions, since I've only run road races in the past. What sort of training tips or advice were you looking for? I'd be glad to lend any I've encountered over the last two or so months!
2014-08-18 11:27 AM
in reply to: #5038051

User image

Good luck for your first triathlon! The swim was by far the worst bit for me so a duathlon sounds like a good idea :-D Any tips at all would help! I've just signed up for a 10k run in 8 weeks so I'll be focussing on running until then at least, which (like all of this) I'm very new to. One thing I can't figure out is how to 'keep in shape' while not training for anything. I don't want to go back to being a couch potato! But then I don't want to burn out or injure myself. It's hard to keep running/cycling/swimming without the structure of a plan or the goal of an event. Maybe I'll just have to keep entering different random things till next summer!
2014-08-18 1:14 PM

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Originally posted by Katie1984

Good luck for your first triathlon! The swim was by far the worst bit for me so a duathlon sounds like a good idea :-D Any tips at all would help! I've just signed up for a 10k run in 8 weeks so I'll be focussing on running until then at least, which (like all of this) I'm very new to. One thing I can't figure out is how to 'keep in shape' while not training for anything. I don't want to go back to being a couch potato! But then I don't want to burn out or injure myself. It's hard to keep running/cycling/swimming without the structure of a plan or the goal of an event. Maybe I'll just have to keep entering different random things till next summer!

I have not experienced triathlon training in the winter (I have with running though) so it's new to me as well. I will likely follow one of the free training plans online to keep my endurance up. I feel the same way, I don't want to not train. Signing up for an early race in the spring could be a good motivator to encourage winter training (this is what I plan on doing). One of the things I look forward to is improving my times, this could also be a reason to keep it up. Good luck!

2014-08-19 9:58 AM
in reply to: ChemNerd23

User image

I'm following the olympic 16 week run-focused plan for the next 8 weeks, sort of smooshed together with a 10k training plan I found online (they seem to fit fairly well!) because I want to train for the 10k but not let my cycling/swimming go. Thinking of doing adult swimming lessons and maybe joining some classes at the gym, since I have membership but only ever use the pool! I think following the plans to keep endurance up is a good idea - it's nice knowing what I'm 'supposed' to do every day. Can't say I'm looking forward to running/cycling in the cold winter weather That might be the only time I look forward to swimming! Have looked into Spring races and there are some in April/May so I might sign up for one, thanks for the tip
2014-08-19 10:22 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Congratulations, triathlete!

2014-08-19 11:23 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Congratulations, triathlete!

Thankyou!
2014-08-19 3:52 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Katie1984 I'm following the olympic 16 week run-focused plan for the next 8 weeks, sort of smooshed together with a 10k training plan I found online (they seem to fit fairly well!) because I want to train for the 10k but not let my cycling/swimming go. Thinking of doing adult swimming lessons and maybe joining some classes at the gym, since I have membership but only ever use the pool! I think following the plans to keep endurance up is a good idea - it's nice knowing what I'm 'supposed' to do every day. Can't say I'm looking forward to running/cycling in the cold winter weather That might be the only time I look forward to swimming! Have looked into Spring races and there are some in April/May so I might sign up for one, thanks for the tip

Congrats!!  I just did my 1st tri too and am planning to do another in 5 weeks.  I've found some duathlon races for winter and running events for spring to keep me doing stuff.  Swimming lessons or some sort of swim conditioning or masters class are a great idea to improve your swimming.  For riding your bike in the winter, a trainer is a super investment.  It can get kind of tedious but it makes the spring that much sweeter when outdoor riding season comes again, plus you don't lose all that riding fitness you worked so hard to get.  Good luck and keep up the good work!

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First triathlon yesterday! Now for more! :D Rss Feed