General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » newbie from the uk Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-11 2:21 PM

Subject: newbie from the uk
Hey guys,

Were to start. Basically I am just getting into triathlon's I know its getting late in the year for racing as the season is already in full swing. I haven't completed a triathlon yet but I have done a sprint aquathon.

So I don't really know where to start, as I can see it I have two options.

Take the rest of the year to work on a foundation level of training and body composition management ready to start working towards ironman wales(Sept 15) from Janurary.

or start ironman training now as I am going to be in Bahrain over NOV/DEC and there is a half ironman distance race there at the start of Dec. Would this be too soon to get up to speed.

Currently I am doing three Cardio running sessions a week ranging from two HIIT sessions lasting 40mins split into 10min warm up , 20mins HIIT, 10mins warm down. The third session is usually a 40-60 min plod. usually at 10kmph on the treadmill.

Also I am doing a 40-60 mile bike ride on a Wednesday with a group of guys from work and also swimming lessons on a Tuesday.

Due to coming back from a lower back injury in may, I also do a lot of pre-hab (stretching and foam rolling) and strength training using gym machines (chest press, lat pull down, leg press, seated row, shoulder press, deadlifts).

Just to top off the list of stuff, I am currently 101kg @ 30% body fat. Realistically I need to get that down to 85-90kg @20%

Any help would be great.

2014-08-11 11:16 PM
in reply to: eul0gy

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: RE: newbie from the uk

So one year to a full Ironman and/or 4 months to a half Ironman.  I guess my first question to assess fitness is, how long have you been doing the 40-60 mile rides?  

Those HIT sessions, is it essentially an hour on the treadmill?  How long have you been doing those?  Any road/trail running?

And swimming, I take it you are starting from scratch on this?

2014-08-12 5:34 AM
in reply to: #5038176

All my current workouts have been going on since early may. I have done some trail running around 4-5km in 30mins
2014-08-12 5:35 AM
in reply to: #5038425

Forgot to add swimming. I have been doing breaststroke for years. Just moving over front crawl and have been working with a coach for the last 1month and a half.
2014-08-12 10:41 PM
in reply to: #5038426

User image

Iowa City, Iowa
Any particular reason why you do not want to wait until next go around for either race? Perhaps you could try a shorter distance to get aquatinted with the sport nuances.
2014-08-13 1:28 AM

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
Hey from just over the water! From what I can gather from your current levels - personally I'd aim for a shorter event at the back end of this year if your set on doing one - look for a local sprint to get you started. Don't rush into the longer events - I think you'll get more enjoyment and see progress quicker by targeting the shorter ones first.

2014-08-13 4:03 AM
in reply to: #5038826

My thinking was taking the rest of the year as build up and start escing next year. I just happened to be in bahrain at the end of the year and part of the course is on the f1 course their
2014-08-13 10:58 AM

User image

Champion
Gold member

I think you have the fitness to do the HIM in Bahrain in December since you have been doing these volumes for months now and have a swimming background.  You essentially have the bike fitness (are you only doing bike training once per week?).  You have the swim fitness, just doing a new stroke - focus on that and doing the distance.  Running, well, you may be short there.  You may be able to build up to 6-8 miles safely by December - a full 13 miles from a 5k may be a stretch.  I would say you can do it with the caveat: don't rush the run as that will get you injured.  Safely build up using the 10% rule every 2-3 weeks followed by a 'rest' week.  If you can't get to near 13 miles on race day...that's fine, plan to walk.   And this first race, don't 'race it', 'train it'. 

2014-08-18 8:43 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

No reason you can't do a HIM or IM as your first race.  

Both are about training more than about racing.  On average, about 93-96% of the people who start an IM race officially finish it.  The 4-7% who don't include tho pro's who drop out for season strategies, a few who get injured during the race, and the ones who don't make the cutoffs.  But...if you can start, you're likely to finish, especially if your race strategy is supported by your training.  What isn't published is the number of people who sign up but don't even start the race.  This is generally a much higher number (10% or so at a minimum).  These are people who sign up and get injured during the training year, don't train enough to want to participate on race day, have other commitments that interfere with the race.  

2014-08-27 11:35 AM
in reply to: 0

hey sorry for the lack of responding from me, Thanks for all the feed back guys, I think I might give the Bahrain tri a miss.

So going forward I am looking to use my time to build a solid base of fitness as I have recently come back from a lower back injury.
I don't know where to start as I have an odd shift pattern at work.

My pattern follows.

a 12 hour shift , rotating 2 days , 2 nights and then 2 days off with one of the days being a sleeping day.
I have access to a gym , pool and a spinning bike and can also run out side, but don't have access to my usual bike.

I was thinking of something along the lines of three run sessions , 2-3 swimming sessions and a ride. also 2-3 weights sessions and also prehab sessions of stretching, foam rolling and core work.

just don't know if this is a good volume and what to be doing and when to incorporate it into my shift pattern.

Edited by eul0gy 2014-08-27 11:35 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » newbie from the uk Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Newbie from the UK

Started by johnnylegs
Views: 703 Posts: 3

2007-09-04 5:13 PM Graycat

newbie in the UK

Started by mpk
Views: 629 Posts: 6

2007-08-21 5:10 PM ScotinSeattle

Newbie from the UK

Started by Tri Harder
Views: 545 Posts: 3

2006-08-28 8:40 PM Chan-man

Newbie from the UK

Started by nealy_uk
Views: 604 Posts: 2

2005-07-11 12:41 PM JohnnyKay

Newbie from the UK

Started by canscandothis
Views: 920 Posts: 5

2005-01-08 6:52 AM canscandothis
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 12, 2012
author : khledon
comments : 3
After eight long months of training, I’ve finally completed my first ever triathlon and it just so happened to be one of the biggest and toughest events known to the triathlon community, Ironman.

date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.
date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!

date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.
date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.
date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
comments : 0
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!

date : October 10, 2004
author : TSN
comments : 0
Tri-a-new daily read online, with the UK’s independent home of triathlon.