General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Traffic lights with sensors Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-11 2:48 PM

New user
Subject: Traffic lights with sensors
In the absence of cars to trip the sensor for you, do you walk over and hit the crosswalk button? make a right followed by a u-turn? just run it? pick your nose until a car shows up? something else?

I have some decent, traffic free routes for Saturdays & Sundays, but there are a few intersections that really don't favor bikes.

2014-08-11 2:51 PM
in reply to: bwalling

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Traffic lights with sensors

If it seems safe to cross, I will eventually just go.    I THINK this is the law, in Minnesota anyway. I believe you have to wait a full cycle and then proceed when it's safe. This can happen with my scooter sometimes.

If it's a really busy intersection, I go and push the button.    I have also moved aside/up enough to get a car in the right spot, which sometimes requires gesturing to them to pull forward.

2014-08-11 2:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
It depends on how busy the street is. I will watch for a clear opening and go without hitting the cross walk button. On a busy street or one with a blind curve, I play it safe and hit the button.

However, I have found on a few roads that my bike will actually trip the light. I have to go out of the bike lane and into the left lane at two lights I routinely have to navigate but since there is no traffic, I go ahead and do it. Found out by accident one time so I am checking the lights a on my ususal routes just to see.
2014-08-11 2:59 PM

User image

Exton, PA
In PA it is legal to go through a defective traffic light after stopping. A cyclist is not large enough to trip the light, without a car at the light I go through when it is safe.
2014-08-11 3:09 PM

User image

I'll wait a full set of signals then blow the light if it's safe.

I've also walked the bike through the crosswalks if it's a busy intersection.

2014-08-11 3:44 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Haymarket, VA

In VA it's legal to go through after 2 cycles or 2 minutes whichever is shorter.

2014-08-11 4:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
For me, cycling is a balance between minimizing risk, maximizing training. The right-turn then U-turn tactic allows me to mostly keep up the tempo while minimizing the chance of an accident.

Of course, there are tons of lights here in TX, especially in remote areas, where one can see a mile down the road in all directions and there's no traffic. The tactic for those is obvious.
2014-08-11 4:07 PM

If a tree falls in a forest and there is no one around. . . .

Go through the red. I only wait for the green if there are other cars at the intersection.

Indiana now has a red light rule, but it's stupid, I'm not waiting two full minutes.

2014-08-11 4:28 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

My state has a "Dead Red" law that allows motorcycles and bicycles to continue through a red light if it doesn't change in a “reasonable” amount of time.
It does not apply to stop signs.

2014-08-11 6:35 PM

New user
So, FHP (Florida Highway Patrol) apparently advises that cyclists should make a right turn and subsequent U-turn. They are also advised to contact the local authority to have the light repaired.
2014-08-11 7:08 PM

User image

Most loop detectors work on the presence of steel and iron, so it isn't a weight issue (jumping up and down won't help!). I usually pull far enough up that a car behind me will get their engine in the loop detector. If no car, I go for it when I can see myself clear. Loop detector area can often be seen by a sawcut in the asphalt that is filled in with a caulk bead.

2014-08-11 7:27 PM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Good question. I've lived in Idaho where the laws were really bike friendly (maybe dangerous but friendly). A red light is a stop (just like the sign) and a Stop Sign is a yield.

I now live in Washington and many times will push the button if visibility is poor or there is a lot of traffic. If things are light and good visibility, I'll run the light.

2014-08-11 8:05 PM
in reply to: jbrookscga78

New user
Originally posted by jbrookscga78

Most loop detectors work on the presence of steel and iron, so it isn't a weight issue (jumping up and down won't help!). I usually pull far enough up that a car behind me will get their engine in the loop detector. If no car, I go for it when I can see myself clear. Loop detector area can often be seen by a sawcut in the asphalt that is filled in with a caulk bead.

There's been a switch to cameras here, rather than the in ground sensors. I don't find them to be any more bike friendly than in ground sensors. Interesting that FHP thinks they're supposed to pick up cyclists with the cameras.
2014-08-11 8:17 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

the law says i have to wait some period of time and then i'm allowed to run it, so i loosely follow the time requirement. 

2014-08-11 9:45 PM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by bwalling
Originally posted by jbrookscga78 Most loop detectors work on the presence of steel and iron, so it isn't a weight issue (jumping up and down won't help!). I usually pull far enough up that a car behind me will get their engine in the loop detector. If no car, I go for it when I can see myself clear. Loop detector area can often be seen by a sawcut in the asphalt that is filled in with a caulk bead.
There's been a switch to cameras here, rather than the in ground sensors. I don't find them to be any more bike friendly than in ground sensors. Interesting that FHP thinks they're supposed to pick up cyclists with the cameras.

The ground sensors around here are marked with a symbol.  Just put the bottom bracket over it and you're sensed:

_MG_9049

Usually I just wait.  Sometimes I'll do the right turn and U-turn bit.

2014-08-13 12:52 PM
in reply to: jbrookscga78

User image

Oviedo, Florida
Originally posted by jbrookscga78

This...

The loop detectors should work as long as you don't have a full carbon bike including carbon wheels. Aluminium wheels will trip the sensor. You need to position your bike tires directly on top of the the saw cut line (running parallel). If it's a quadrupole - which looks like two rectangles in the road - position your tires on the center line since it has twice as many wires running on the loop.

Since I started doing this I have yet to find a light in Central FLA that doesn't sense me and trip the light.

Here's a pretty decent article that explains it.

http://www.humantransport.org/bicycledriving/library/signals/detect...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Traffic lights with sensors Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Traffic lights and bike leg of sprint tri???

Started by kxf523
Views: 726 Posts: 6

2009-06-15 6:52 PM RNH

Wetsuit Question and A funny thing happened in traffic court

Started by scottradny
Views: 1206 Posts: 5

2007-04-29 8:24 PM KSH

Denver/Highlands Ranch, CO area bike paths -- away from traffic -- extended distances

Started by jeffreyk
Views: 1340 Posts: 2

2006-04-30 1:12 PM velocomp

stuck in traffic...

Started by chile7473
Views: 964 Posts: 4

2006-03-08 10:42 PM chile7473

why run towards traffic?

Started by autumn
Views: 1063 Posts: 21

2004-09-08 5:08 PM autumn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Incorporating strides to improving your cadence, be light on your feet and improve your run times.

date : February 4, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Marni will show you how to make your own delicious and nutritious wrap that is light on calories but high in protein and nutrients.
date : September 4, 2005
author : Michael
comments : 5
But just when I was beginning to think that life is consumed by only darkness, just out of my sight, there it was...A glimmer of light.

date : November 29, 2004
author : Akuma
comments : 3
A bike is NOT a piece of metal with a couple of wheels at either end and a steering thing to stop you running over old ladies. No! ... a bike is a space-age “weapon of mass confusion.”
date : October 3, 2004
author : smeeko
comments : 1
Many athletes and exercise enthusiasts live in densely populated urban areas where they are increasingly confronted with challenges related to air pollution caused by traffic and industry.

date : August 31, 2004
comments : 0
Bikes need to be treated as vehicles by those who ride them.