General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Trisuit brands? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2014-08-11 11:28 PM

Subject: Best Trisuit brands?
Hi Everyone. I am a female doing my first Tri in September. I definitely want to invest in a Trisuit. I am torn by what I see online. Can anyone recommend a good brand? I have seen Orca. Any good? Thanks so much for any feedback!

2014-08-12 12:16 AM
in reply to: Leikela21

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Subject: RE: Best Trisuit brands?
I've used DeSoto, Pear Izumi, but I also hear good things about Kiwami suits. I would recommend suits by them, maybe go towards DeSoto or Pearl Izumi since their range is vast. Definately know your size, a good fitting suit won't have any wrinkles... material can flap in the wind on the bike, slow you down. If you have a body that might be dual sized, upper measures one size and lower another, then maybe the 2 piece suits then you get the sizes you need. Kiwami caters for short triathlon course athletes, imho.

2014-08-12 8:29 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
A lot depends on fit. In my opinion, the best brand is the one that fits your body type and needs (for example, how much padding and support you need, how much style matters vs. function). I've tried on a lot of one piece suits, but only 2 XU was a good fit so I ended up getting it. I've also had good luck with two-piece suits from Danskin. Both of these brands tend to run kind of long and lean, like me......I wear a medium whereas am a small or even XS in other brands like Zoot or Pearl Izumi. Zoot in my experience tends to be shorter at the same size. A lot of the more petite women that I race in SE Asia prefer Sugoi--they say it is better sized for shorter women. I also have a nice one piece from Arena, which mainly makes swimwear. It's called a tri suit but doesn't have much padding or a built-in bra, but I've noticed quite a few women in the SE Asia races with that suit--might be great for a woman who doesn't need much padding for the bike and wants to wear a sports bra underneath. I think you just need to try on the different brands to get a feel for the fit--it's not easy to find a suit that's snug enough for the swim and bike, has the right around of padding for comfort on the bike, and enough support and no chafing on the run.
2014-08-12 10:48 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Hot Runner A lot depends on fit. In my opinion, the best brand is the one that fits your body type and needs (for example, how much padding and support you need, how much style matters vs. function). I've tried on a lot of one piece suits, but only 2 XU was a good fit so I ended up getting it. I've also had good luck with two-piece suits from Danskin. Both of these brands tend to run kind of long and lean, like me......I wear a medium whereas am a small or even XS in other brands like Zoot or Pearl Izumi. Zoot in my experience tends to be shorter at the same size. A lot of the more petite women that I race in SE Asia prefer Sugoi--they say it is better sized for shorter women. I also have a nice one piece from Arena, which mainly makes swimwear. It's called a tri suit but doesn't have much padding or a built-in bra, but I've noticed quite a few women in the SE Asia races with that suit--might be great for a woman who doesn't need much padding for the bike and wants to wear a sports bra underneath. I think you just need to try on the different brands to get a feel for the fit--it's not easy to find a suit that's snug enough for the swim and bike, has the right around of padding for comfort on the bike, and enough support and no chafing on the run.

^^ this.  The only way I'll buy a suit is by trying them on.  I have gone into a tri store and tried on half a dozen tops and shorts before finding something I'm comfortable with.  Sizes can vary a lot from one brand to another.  I've fit into a small with one brand yet needed a large in another depending on how they are cut.

Another thing I'm picky about is pockets.  I like to have small pockets for my gel.

2014-08-21 3:36 PM

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone! It is much appreciated! I am a bit on the larger side. I wear a women's size Large shirt so I would probably be an Extra Large in a trisuit. I live in NJ and need to research what stores sell trisuits so I can try some on. I was looking at some on Amazon but size would definitely be a hinderance. Thanks again though, I appreciate it!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Trisuit brands? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

BEST TRI BIKE BRAND TODAY?

Started by shagadelic45
Views: 7345 Posts: 15

2011-04-04 11:22 AM Fer Cuevas

Clydesdales - Any Bike Brands/Models Better For Us?

Started by BHannahs
Views: 869 Posts: 6

2007-04-14 1:51 PM cadreamer

Running shoes--good brands? Pages: 1 2

Started by sharonnagy5
Views: 3437 Posts: 46

2005-04-08 8:37 AM sharonnagy5

Speedo Trisuit

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 948 Posts: 1

2004-10-19 9:57 AM gsmacleod

ORCA Ti3 trisuit

Started by Sirvelo
Views: 989 Posts: 2

2005-06-10 11:44 AM TriTEC
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : January 30, 2006
author : amandacmuller
comments : 0
In all of my tri-clothing research, I could never find a trisuit that would offer support where I needed it. I found that my choices were limited.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 0
JAM! Trisuits is touted to be a trisuit for women, by women, and offering “more upper body support than what has been traditionally available in one piece trisuits”.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 8
What to wear under the wetsuit? What to wear for the bike and the run? Good thing someone invented the wonderful trisuit, to which we’ve become accustomed. It’s supposed to make our lives so simple.